PDA

View Full Version : Blanchette: WAC is Toast

Zag 77
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
If all those deals go down, the league will have two football-playing members Idaho and New Mexico State and basketball affiliates Seattle, Denver and Boise State in 2013-14.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/may/01/blanchette-wacs-sad-odyssey-hits-rocks/

If the WCC has no openings, does SU have any options other than the Big Sky or being an independent?

TheGonzagaFactor
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
WCC should add 2 of those schools and go to 2 divisions.

caduceus
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Here are the teams leaving the WAC:

http://i.imgur.com/MaOyO.gif

SWZag
05-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Article from a BSU perspective.

With the WAC on Life Support, Boise State Hoops Faces Uncertain Future (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/wac-life-support-boise-state-hoops-faces-uncertain-185304285.html)

SWZag

Dirt McGirt
05-02-2012, 09:00 PM
WCC should add 2 of those schools and go to 2 divisions.

I just posted something similar on the Gael board...

"how about we add Seattle and Denver, but split the WCC into an A league and a B leauge? The B league would have the bottom 6 teams and the A league the top 6. So the A league would be SMC, GU, BYU, LMU, USF, and USD. The A league teams play each other twice and play the B league teams once (the B league teams play each other twice and the A league teams once.) At the end of the season, the bottom two A league teams drop down to the B league and the top two B league teams move up to the A league. The conference tournament is played in by only the A league teams (top two teams get a bye to the semi finals and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. The 3/6 winner plays 2 and the 4/5 winner plays 1.) "

NotoriousZ
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM

"how about we add Seattle and Denver, but split the WCC into an A league and a B leauge? The B league would have the bottom 6 teams and the A league the top 6. So the A league would be SMC, GU, BYU, LMU, USF, and USD. The A league teams play each other twice and play the B league teams once (the B league teams play each other twice and the A league teams once.) At the end of the season, the bottom two A league teams drop down to the B league and the top two B league teams move up to the A league. The conference tournament is played in by only the A league teams (top two teams get a bye to the semi finals and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. The 3/6 winner plays 2 and the 4/5 winner plays 1.) "

If only we could get enough votes for that, Dirt. I would like to nominate you for WCC commissioner.

Kiddwell
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
What's happening to the WAC provokes Kiddwell to thank goodness for the West Coast Conference: general quality across a range of men & women sports, and a very stable and proven core.

Oh, and Kiddwell is thankful for the West Coast Conference because these guys recognize its general quality and core stability, too: :espn:, :espn2:

:]

TheGonzagaFactor
05-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Nooooo. Imagine trying to recruit as a second-tier team within a mid-major conference. Promotion and relegation are cool and all but this is not the place. Creative, but not practical.

CDC84
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Just what the WCC needs....an unbalanced league schedule. One of the worst trends in recent college basketball history.

SWZag
05-02-2012, 09:36 PM

This sounds like European soccer leagues a bit. I think it's very intriguing and would definitely be a first. I would argue tho that the (top) "B league" teams should be included in the conference tourney somehow. A team that has a big turnaround from the previous year is left out because of their previous year. It would definitely hurt recruiting because players would know that if they go to a school in the B League, they wont make the postseason for at least two years.

Or...unless you were talking about "after the season" the top two B teams moving up before the tourney.

SWZag

madness
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Yep, if anything this A league dream would in most minds lead to forming a new league alltogether and kickout the "B" Leaguers.

In a perfect world if we could choose the best non pac 12 basketball progams in the west, I would probably go with: (sorted by travel partners)

North

Gonzaga (duh)
SMC
BYU
Utah St
New Mexico
New Mexico St

South

USD
San Diego St
UNLV
Nevada
LMU
Long Beach St

This would never happen of course, but what a great league!

Zag 77
05-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Say BYU leaves the WCC at some point for the Big 12 or something else. Would you choose Boise St or Seattle U for the WCC or neither?

Birddog
05-03-2012, 05:42 PM
BSU is not a "faith based" institution. IIRC many years ago the WCAC (now the WCC) had some members that were state schools and it didn't work out so well.

ZagFanInNC
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
My vote would be to add Denver and Seattle, those are two major markets that would be good for the league to expand into. It would also provide a regional partner for BYU to travel with. The Pac-12 I believe did it the right way, they expanded into major markets when the time was right and split it up logically.

The WCC North/South conferences:

North:
Gonzaga
Seattle U
Portland
San Fransisco
Saint Maries
Santa Clara

South:
BYU
Denver
Pacific
San Diego
Pepperdine
LMU

The problem with this is that Geographically there are 7 teams in the "North" now that Pacific is joining. I guess a zipper conference of some sort would be the answer?

Option with a North/South setup could be:

North:
Gonzaga
Seattle
Portland
Denver
BYU
Pacific (just deal with it Pacific)

South:
USD
LMU
Pepperdine
Saint Maries
San Fransisco
Santa Clara

I think the second way makes the most sense, i'm not a fan of zipper conferences.