PDA

View Full Version : Team indentity

Malastein
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
What's going to be the look of the Zags this upcoming season? I'll be surprised if there as much focus on defense with Rob Sacre moving on, so what's the look which will lead them to success?

TheGonzagaFactor
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
I'll be surprised if there as much focus on defense with Rob Sacre moving on...

Ever heard of Gary Bell, Jr.? The best defensive player we have had in recent memory...?

awberke
04-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Ever heard of Gary Bell, Jr.? The best player in the history of the universe...?

fixed

MickMick
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Every day removed that Karnowski doesn't commit, is a day closer he doesn't land. Makes the Spangler transfer more painful.

Without Karnowski, the Zags will be similar to last season Good enough to compete with almost anyone on a given night, but not good enough to string together 3-5 consecutive wins over top competition.

They need one more difference maker. Position doesn't really matter. Karnowski could have tipped the scales. I don't see any other outsiders coming in and making immediate impact. Now it really does fall on Dranginis to be that difference maker.

Pangos set the bar too high to expect great improvement. He was playing near his ceiling from day one. We will get the same Harris as last year. We will get the same Dower as last year. No one knows how much KO has improved. Bell is the one player that could make a big jump.

In summary, barring a new impact player coming in, Dranginis and Bell are the two players that can make the team significantly better than they were last year. I expect everyone else to be similar to what we have already seen (which is collectively pretty darn good).

cggonzaga
04-30-2012, 10:09 PM
He was playing near his ceiling from day one

This is just terrible! Actually most of what you said about the players is bad. Let's start with KP though. Kevin might not average many more points throughout his years here but I guarantee you he will get better and better each year. I think we will see higher shooting percentages and more consistency. We'll see a raise in assists per game as Kevin learns to become more of a playmaker for those around him. We'll also see a leader emerge probably as early as this season. Kevin played nowhere near his ceiling this past season.

I think your comments are also insulting to Dower and Harris. You will see improvement from Sam defensively and on the boards. He will also score more consistently. If we get the same from Harris next year then thats great. I personally don't think we've seen his best yet. There are plenty of areas he can better and I fully expect him to. We will get a monster senior season from Elias.

I do expect big things from Gary and Kyle as well. Maybe Gary does take a giant leap into stardom but to say Pangos has already reached his ceiling is just ridiculous! Those guys are 1A and 1B for the next 3 years.

p.s. I get that you think the players you mentioned are already very good but I think you're missing the point of the learning process. Just because a guy is great from day 1 doesn't mean he's not going to continue to learn and get better. KP is an extremely hard worker who understands he still has much to accomplish.

2wiceright
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Re: cggonzaga comments:
Agree 1,000 Percent.... Exactly the way I look at Kevin and his game (and future)!
:cheers:

roxdoc
04-30-2012, 10:56 PM
MickMick I have to go along with your overall thesis. We need a "difference maker" to get to the next level. Karnowski if he comes will be that player. The current players are quite good but I don't look for any of them to improve so much as to be a difference maker. Every year in the off season we have numerous posts about this player or that who is sure to just "blow up" next year. In actuality there have been some improvements is various facets of a players game, but generally more modest then the predictions.

We have a lot of pieces in place that make us a good team, but if Karnowski does not come we are going to be like last year, which of course was not too shabby. With Karnowski we make some noise.

awberke
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Pangos set the bar too high to expect great improvement. He was playing near his ceiling from day one. We will get the same Harris as last year. We will get the same Dower as last year.

I just don't agree with this.

MDABE80
05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
I don't like to hear this re:Kevin. I don't beleive it either. Kevin could get lots better with his increased eperience. Techinically though...KP DID get 33 his first game so techinically Mick might be right.

I do think Kevin will get much smarter as evidenced by less turnovers, better passing ,etc and the things that go with experience. I also think Kevin tried to carry the team too much and his shooting declined...not by tons but it fell.

Meanwhile,Kevin's defense was much improved over the past season. He can improve and, as hard as he works, I'm sure he will.

I've watched Mick's post for the past several years. He has an uncanny way of being right in the long term. I hope he's wrong on Kevin.

Bell can and will. KO MUST get better than his second year. Sam can if he figures out he has another hand and somehow goes after some boards. Hart surely will.......he's complete except for his shooting.

Elias must get better and if he plays like he did the last 10 or so games, he'll be a ferocious force and climb the AA charts. I hope he stays in town and works his tail off. He can do an 18-10 year with just bit bit more.

Karno...? I just don't know. I do think if Dranginis is very much improved, he'll be a difference maker. He's a big wing and guard who can shoot and his speed and experience from his RS will be the difference.

We need a hard nosed rebounder to round this team out. If we get one,.,the tenor will be tough defense, good offensive weapons down low and outside. SPeed is a question for me.. Given the returning talent and experience, I can't see how we lose more that 6 games (again). Sorry for the length of this post.

jpwils
05-01-2012, 06:31 AM
One cannot expect a freshman on a team with KP and Bell to be the difference-maker.

If Karnowski comes he will play but not the whole game.

KO can be a difference- maker-Karnowski will be good but not great his first year. big adjustment.

Dranginis COULD be even though technically he is a frosh.
One yr in system matters along with knowing teammates.

Dower can be a difference-maker- he has 3 years in system as does KO.

They can both do things that Sacre could not do-so lets focus on that.

GLE should be ready to rumble as well- Hart is a defensive leader.

Zagcity
05-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Pangos set the bar too high to expect great improvement. He was playing near his ceiling from day one.

There maybe some outside truth to what you say above, but this part is where I believe you go awry. Kevin will become a much improved player on the road with better decision making and shooting percentage.

titopoet
05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
To answer the question. The team identity without Karno would be more emphases on guard play. Edi would become more important with a bit more forcing tempo by Few three quarter press. I do think that the three posts would keep the team going. Throwing KO and Dower Sacre's minutes means more spread and less posting as both KO and Dower can stretch the D by hitting 3s and midrange jumpers. The extra space will open up for Harris to attack. The problem would be fouls trouble, but Last season GU showed the ability to ball small ball for stretches. Dower or KO in the middle with Edi, Kyle or Hart, GBJ and Pangos would have enough rebounding, firepower and speed to cause match up problems for 5 to 10 minutes.

I want Karno to come as it give Few the option to play smash mouth basketball, but without him, the identity would be closer to how Mizzu played last year.

On Kevin Pangos. I can think of at least five areas he can improve on: 1. Reading how the D is playing pick and rolls, 2. throwing alley opp passes and post entry passes, 3. using staggered screens. 4. Pull midrange (he currently uses floater 5. Crossover

This is just a non-coach. I am sure Few gave him a huge list on things to work on over the summer. If he continues to improve just a few of these will make him an even better player. Saying a player who is just 19 (not yet physically mature) who is still learning to play has hit a ceiling, is akin to saying the Tacos from Mexico are not as authentic than those from Taco Bell, or Taco Time, or Taco John.

SteelZag
05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
IMO Gonzaga will be better this coming season because of experience.
Pangos-More offensive weapons, less pressure on him.
Bell-Realizes he has to shoot more.
Edy-Healthy and ready to display his talents.
Olynyk-High BB IQ, good hands, good passer. No way his numbers aren't
better than 2009-2010.
Harris-Harris.
Dranginis-Unkown commodity but news off of boards points to him being very
serviceable at the 3, 2 and 1.
Dower-Room for imrovement but awfully talented as is. Being unable to go to
his right hand doesn't keep him from going off for huge #'s. Is there
any stat for pts. per offensive rebound? If so, I'm sure Sam's #'s are
quite adequate.
Karnowski-No way he hurts team if he comes.

The Zags just need a way to hold on to the ball better and overcome the tendency to go 5-7 min without making a hoop. In my view their experince will be the "DIFFERENCE MAKER".

ZAGGED OUT
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Terrible comment saying KP has peaked already. As for the Identity, I don't think it changes. Every year we have a couple shooters, one or two defensive blocks, and toughness. Don't think we lose out on any of those areas, Bell is definitely a defensive freak ( as well as a offensive star in the making), shooters unlimited, and with players like Hart and Harris it's rare that we will be out toughed.

madness
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Pangos still has a lot of room to improve defensively and in the strength department. He was already adept at using his quickness to get to the rim when he wanted, but I could easily see him start taking more hard drives to draw the foul when the the teams a bucket next year. This means that he will need to get stronger. He will probably never be Bouldin or Pargo strong, but stronger than 2011. He is in good hands with GU's S&C dept.

gamagin
05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
It has saved me at least two years of cheering on the Zags since our future and that of the Zags that are practicing every day to get better just have no chance of doing so.

All this so Mick Mick, and others, can quote themselves, their genius, and by contrast, the shallowness of the rest of us, in some future thread, likely started by MM, or some other, in which we will be able to bask in this prescience while pondering our own futility as mere pawns in the greater chess game that is this fellow's brilliance.

Thanks, MM. I'm now going to stop in order to get started on the golden calf which I hope to complete in the next two years in time to praise you for sticking your hands into the warm scat, sifting through it, finding some telltale chunks, and predicting boldly everything we need to know about our future.

I can't wait to read the "I told you so" series that is sure to follow. Unless of course these brave, riskless, meaningless and useless prognostications don't pan out.

Meanwhile, the real world, the real Zags and the real coaches that continue to work as if they could make a difference (because they have a history of doing just that), will be the people I tend to follow, discuss and cheer on.

While some pity the fools, I'm going to keep watching. Sorry.

Because long before this thread was launched, they pretty much already covered all of these subjects in great detail, figured out multiple scenarios as they relate to luring this or that athlete to Gonzaga, and also have gone ahead -- win or lose (on recruits) -- and built, as well as sustained, a winning program. In fact they are right now working on the next two years while some here have already decided the game is over without one certain player on our team.

It's become boring to some, apparently, this Cindarella story that nevertheless keeps on going. The new goal is to take all of Few et al's hard work, recruiting and preparation, for granted, and THEN tweak it here and there in order to help him win a national championship. THEN, of course, take the credit for being So.Damned.Smart.

To me, the process (any process) itself is the essence of life, if not life itself. And realizing the contest we are witnessing, on and off the court at GU and in all of D1, & beyond, has nothing to do with us. No matter who thinks Karno is our salvation or not. Someone (Few, Tommy) was gambling on the possibilities long before his name was even known to us. SO, too, we have learned, was Cal. And others. We're working with cold scat here. Face it. We're all full of sh!t.

We are simply lucky, because we are interested, to be able to watch and discuss it play out. But we have no say in it, no matter which way we guess things will play out. So to try and take guessing and raise it to an art form, or a science, is to delve in to pure fiction and call it reality.

So whatever trophy is held aloft at the end, because someone guessed right, well, it's a trophy made out of whole cloth.

But I caution against taking anyone seriously who seems bent on skipping over the top of the game, above and beyond where the real decisions are made and the real work is put in, to try and scrape the imaginary frosting off the imaginary team cake and declare it less than perfect before it has even been baked.

That doesn't take insight. It just takes an ability to type. You could get the same kind of prognostications from tarot cards or a horoscope. Millions do every day and sometimes the results seem uncanny. So what ?

SteelZag
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
GAMAGIN

+infinity

MDABE80
05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Mick scares Abe:(

MickMick
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Having posted regularly for the life of this forum, I will admit that the "I told ya so" posts (complete with references) have only appeared within the last year or so and absolutley come across as "over the top".

Then again, look at the replys in this thread that are so absolutley certain I am wrong. The + gazillion concurs symbolizing the hammer driving the nail home. Of any thread I have ever read , this one qualifys as the Holy Grail of an "I told ya so" resurrection for the far distant future.

For sure a "must save" for future reference.

ZagNative
05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
MickMick is wrong sometimes, but he's always worth reading and is one of my faves.

We could all do without the "I-told-you-so"s, however.

BobZag
05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
What's going to be the look of the Zags this upcoming season? I'll be surprised if there as much focus on defense with Rob Sacre moving on, so what's the look which will lead them to success?

Last year the Zags were a tough, physical team. With Sacre gone, that identity could fade a bit. I think it'll be a very skilled team, from 1 thru 5. And no real drop off from starters to non-starters, two-deep at least. Balanced might be the word I'd choose in trying to project for next year's Zags.

cggonzaga
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Of any thread I have ever read , this one qualifys as the Holy Grail of an "I told ya so" resurrection for the far distant future.

Yeah that's something to be proud of. I'm sure Kevin is happy you'll be rooting for him to not get any better for the next 3 years.

cjm720
05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Pangos and Bell will run the team and help make Harris an all-American. We'll play more up tempo and with constant aggression on D. Bobby's presence in the middle will be tough to replace, but st the end of the day we are an improved team.

MickMick
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah that's something to be proud of. I'm sure Kevin is happy you'll be rooting for him to not get any better for the next 3 years.

Rooting? More like calling it like I see it.

I agree with the ESPN analyst that called Pangos the best freshman point in the land. I was all over Pangos when "hyping" Pangos was frowned upon. I'm ready to provide reference to the thread (complete with naysayers from the peanut gallery), but it appears that to do so would rub you the wrong way.

He may get a little more consistent. I honestly can't see him getting a whole lot better. The kid was a stud before he ever set foot on campus. He gets the most out of what his body will allow right now. In all honesty, the rest of the team needs to catch up. His basketball mind is light years ahead of the rest of the team. Only when the rest of the team can match his mind and skills, can you call him improved. Indeed, to get a whole lot better, he is entirley dependent uopn his team mates getting him there. They are now the limiting factor in his development.

Pangos is the least of my worrys. His biggest challenge will be replicating what he did last year.

On another note;

As for now, there are few posts projecting Dranginis as a huge contributer. In contrast, I expect he will be a star. Of course in hind sight, and after Dranginis makes his big splash, folks are going to say "Everyone knew that".

Well......I'm not reading much about him doing that around here.

Re-read my first post in the thread. Any huge jumps are going to come from Bell and Dranginis and apparently everybody doesn't know it at this particular snapshot in time.

ZagaZags
05-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I think Kevin will improve on his 3 pt shooting on the road. That would a big improvement.

Baseline
05-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Pangos will be much more consistent, that in itself is a big jump.
Bell will become more of a shooter.
Kelly will be a good passer and if he becomes aggressive shooting he could emerge as a go to guy. He has always been a hesitant shooter, he needs to let them go.
Dranginis will be a starter by year end and will do for the team what Pangos and Bell did last year. He will be the outside threat and great passer.

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2012, 06:58 AM
GU will be Kevin Pangos' team.

He's the thinker, the planner, the motivator and the general. He was a second coach on the floor as a freshman--he'll be more of coach this coming season and beyond.

He was instrumental in securing Karnowski.

Kevin prepared an extensive list of reasons to persuade Spangler to stay and lobbied him hard. He didn't win that battle, but the fact he did it speaks volume about his leadership.

Reborn
05-02-2012, 07:08 AM
What I liked best about last year's team is that they played pretty good defense. I think the team will be as good defensively this year, and maybe better, even without Rob. Good defense comes from having the whole team commit to playing better, and tougher, D.

The reason why I think we will be even better on D next year is because last year the Zags were a young team. I think because they played so well, that many of us forgot how young the team was. Because of their youth, the Zags were up and down last year and inconsistent. They had difficulties winning on the road. So if I gave an identity to this team it will the same as last year but better, more mature. If they play as good as Defense as last year that will be very good. The team, however, needs to be BETTER offensively to go deeper in March. In the end it was our offense that sometimes failed us, and so I feel we will be better offensively. The identity of this team will be balanced, as BZ said, but Harris will be our star, and go to guy.

Pangos and Bell will be Sophomores, and will both be better. Harris, Edi and Hart are in their final year and Stockton, Olynyk and Dower should be Seniors but because they redshirted will only be Juniors (but very mature).

In regards to Pangos, as goodl as he played last year, he needs to improve. He did not play well on the road. And I feel at times his decision making was NOT good, especially on nights that he was not shooting well from outside. Like Zag Native, I like Mick Mick a lot. Sometimes he's wrong just like all of us, but he always speaks his mind and says what he believes in. I like that about him. If we only looked at Pangos shooting at home, I think Mick Mick would be right. But there are more areas than just shooting at home. Mick has alwas been a little on the cautious side and he balances the boaard when people like me are unbalanced on the positive side. Keep on keepin on Mick Mick. You know I like you.

I also like cggonzaga. I liked his post, but I think he making some statement that would not be true of MickMick and how he thinks. CGgonzag I think you were a little overboard on MickMick but I really appreciated the good, positive things you said about the Gonzaga staff and team. I think MickMick has those same sentiments.

willandi
05-02-2012, 07:11 AM
With Special K's commit, the team identity just coalesced, dramatically. A big, big man in the center!

hooter73
05-02-2012, 07:25 AM
The identity to me looks like finesse. I think our guards and forwards show that, even PK with his Euro style center skills will play into that.

What I want to see with it is a killer instinct. If we are going to have that I dont think many would disagree that it is going to have to come from Harris.

CanadianZagFan
05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Every day removed that Karnowski doesn't commit, is a day closer he doesn't land. Makes the Spangler transfer more painful.

Without Karnowski, the Zags will be similar to last season Good enough to compete with almost anyone on a given night, but not good enough to string together 3-5 consecutive wins over top competition.

They need one more difference maker. Position doesn't really matter. Karnowski could have tipped the scales. I don't see any other outsiders coming in and making immediate impact. Now it really does fall on Dranginis to be that difference maker.

Pangos set the bar too high to expect great improvement. He was playing near his ceiling from day one. We will get the same Harris as last year. We will get the same Dower as last year. No one knows how much KO has improved. Bell is the one player that could make a big jump.

In summary, barring a new impact player coming in, Dranginis and Bell are the two players that can make the team significantly better than they were last year. I expect everyone else to be similar to what we have already seen (which is collectively pretty darn good).

I hope your pain is eased now!

SteelZag
05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I must preface this post by admitting I underwent back sugery a week ago so the opiates may be clouding my views, but I would like to reiterate that I feel experience and cohesion will trump the lack of a "difference maker". Sophmore more slumps are often times a reality, but I'm thinking that Bell and Pangos will overcome this obstacle. Losing Sacre is huge. Reports from the coaches such as "Dranginis may have started" and "often times KO looked like the best player on the floor" leaves me with much optimism. In as much as losing Sacre will possibly leave a hole in the defense, I agree with REBORN in that the offense is where the Zags really need to improve. In the Zags losses last season they shot a dismal 44.2% and avg. 15.7 TO. Both stats can be improved upon dramatically as I feel the oppostion's defense was not totally responsible. Interior passing should be much improved, although bigs with better hands than Sacre could lead to a sense of false security and an increase in TO's as more pinpoint passes could be attempted. I'm hoping once again that experience wll overcome that tendency. In closing, this post was pretty much written before I read of the signing of Karnowski and I'm convinced he won't be a detriment to the team.
Will the Zags go further in the dance next season? In my view, I just don't see how they will not improve. I am high on drugs though!

GO ZAGS!

Robzagnut
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Team Identity?

RISING with a bullet!!!!

With a front line of Harris, Karnowski, Dower and KO, and a backcourt of Pangos, Bell and Drang this team should stay in the Top 20 all year long.

The goal of this team should be a 3 seed or better.

GU69
05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't usually pay much attention to these high school kids because sometimes there is more hype here than the kid can live up to. However, this one sounds like it's for real.

It makes me eager for the season to start already.

Or at least to get him on campus and start reading reports about how things are going in practices.

[EDIT:
Oops. Wrong thread. I meant to put this in the "Karnowski Commits" thread.]

NotoriousZ
05-02-2012, 08:19 AM
GU will be Kevin Pangos' team.

He's the thinker, the planner, the motivator and the general. He was a second coach on the floor as a freshman--he'll be more of coach this coming season and beyond.

He was instrumental in securing Karnowski.

Kevin prepared an extensive list of reasons to persuade Spangler to stay and lobbied him hard. He didn't win that battle, but the fact he did it speaks volume about his leadership.

I knew Taco Bell was the right choice!

awberke
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Rooting? More like calling it like I see it.

I agree with the ESPN analyst that called Pangos the best freshman point in the land. I was all over Pangos when "hyping" Pangos was frowned upon. I'm ready to provide reference to the thread (complete with naysayers from the peanut gallery), but it appears that to do so would rub you the wrong way.

He may get a little more consistent. I honestly can't see him getting a whole lot better. The kid was a stud before he ever set foot on campus. He gets the most out of what his body will allow right now. In all honesty, the rest of the team needs to catch up. His basketball mind is light years ahead of the rest of the team. Only when the rest of the team can match his mind and skills, can you call him improved. Indeed, to get a whole lot better, he is entirley dependent uopn his team mates getting him there. They are now the limiting factor in his development.

Pangos is the least of my worrys. His biggest challenge will be replicating what he did last year.

On another note;

As for now, there are few posts projecting Dranginis as a huge contributer. In contrast, I expect he will be a star. Of course in hind sight, and after Dranginis makes his big splash, folks are going to say "Everyone knew that".

Well......I'm not reading much about him doing that around here.

Re-read my first post in the thread. Any huge jumps are going to come from Bell and Dranginis and apparently everybody doesn't know it at this particular snapshot in time.

Does anyone care about you being right? Other than yourself that is. Because I just don't see the value of these kind of posts.

Robzagnut
05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Does anyone care about you being right? Other than yourself that is. Because I just don't see the value of these kind of posts.

I do.

This is a public forum and he has a right to state his opinion just like everyone else. You might not agree with him, but that's what makes forums like these interesting.

ZAGGED OUT
05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I do.

This is a public forum and he has a right to state his opinion just like everyone else. You might not agree with him, but that's what makes forums like these interesting.

Agreed, and he defended said opinion without calling out particular threads or a post(er) from the past. Whats the point of being here if you aren't going to be confident in your opinions. Sometimes your right, sometimes your wrong, either way it's still an opinion.

jpwils
05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Team Identity changes are almost inevitable....Sacre and Carter were great Zags. In their own ways they carried us very far- if Carter had not emerged his junior year, we never would've gotten as far as we did that year. Big Rob was , well,- Big Rob. I'm not gonna go over his pros or cons but the pros were many.

Point is, this is now Pangos and Harris' s team. Pangos will be the conference player of the year or die trying!!!!

Our bigs need to work on toughness and offensive rebounding drills aka Michigan State in my view. Why- because we are viewed, whether right or wrong- as SOFT underneath. Harris, KO, Dower, and Karnowski have something to prove to the world- that they are tough enough to compete for rebounds EVERY shot that goes up.

Personally, I think they will rise to the challenge, and that in the OOC and WCC games they need to rise to the challenge every time out.

One thing in our favor among many is the fact that USF is getting a whole new makeover and losing Blackwell in my view is a good thing for the Zags.
Also- losing Jones hopefully will change the equation against SMC in the Zags favor. BYU losing Hartsock should help us but there is still Davies and their
other Bigs to consider. LMU is getting some new bigs. Santa Clara returns Trassolini.

This new Zags team needs to develop SEVERAL ways to win their matchups every nite or force the other team to play our game. We appear to have exciting components but Dranginis and Olynyk and Karnowski need to study tape and improve EVERY day this summer so as to be TOUGH enough to win these mini-matchups every nite out- not just against lower-tier WCC teams.

Ball movement in my view should be immediately better - due to Dranginis and experience of guards/wings. Outside shooting should be improved but is a question mark til proven on the ROAD.

Depth is improved but needs to be proven out of the GATE.

Wing play should be steadier with experience and Dranginis. Wild card is CAN HARRIS spend 1/3 of game at 3???
This is Hart's swan song- he is a really GREAT ZAG and deserves alot of recognition!

Can Dower emerge to provide consistency- my feeling is yes but has to be PROVEN on road and at home! His minutes suffer if he cannot improve his defense, rebounding, and consistent scoring punch- foul trouble cannot be his standard anymore.

Can GLE provide spark off bench or occasional start?? This is his senior year so its now or never!

KO- where does he fit ?? 5-spot?? 4 spot?? Rebounder with an edge or
soft player?? Pick n roll expert or does he stay inside?

How do we provide immediate PT for Karnowski? Is he tough enough to match up against the Waldos??? I think the answer will be gradual assimilation and by mid- year we could see the next All-WCC center with newcomer of the year written on him!!!!!

Go Zags!!!!!

hooter73
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
KO and PK can handle Waldo types just fine. It will be Plumlee types that I want to be able to know we can handle.

jpwils
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
As stated in my earlier post - we need to approach it like Michigan State does and DEVELOP toughness now so as to expect a "Plumlee Type" every single shot. That way we can hold our own with the most physical bigs every nite out.

Agree with you basically- should have answer to Waldo types but have not shown that in past yet. KO and Big Pole must respond and set a tone here.
I'm betting they will but will need to see early results.

bballbeachbum
05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Waldow is good, but the St. Mary's matchup wants physical and long guards on Dellevedova; it helps blunt him plus doesn't allow Waldow as easy a stroll down the lane on the roll for position...that is if GU continues to play the switching defense against the screen/roll

On team identity, I don't know. I know that to run and get up the floor and play up tempo you have to defend and most importantly, rebound. So I hope the identity is tough 5 man box outs each night if 5 are needed, then get out and go hard

How Sam develops here, KO, Karno's impact, the battle for boards at the 3 spot, rebounding and running on missed 3s (the guards)...I hope for this identity so the up tempo possibilites can be more readily realized

so whatever the team identity, I hope Elias is in the middle of it.

This is all possible. I like Bob's take that the identity might be team balance too.

awberke
05-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Agreed, and he defended said opinion without calling out particular threads or a post(er) from the past. Whats the point of being here if you aren't going to be confident in your opinions. Sometimes your right, sometimes your wrong, either way it's still an opinion.

Fair enough. I don't care. I post here because I love GU ball, not to make predictions so that I can tout those that come true and forget those that don't. I agree that differing opinions do make this place interesting.

But, there is also a history factor here that you may or may not see based on your post cost. I don't disagree with all of Mick's posts, just some.

Sorry to derail. I think that Gary and Pangos will both be the face of this team, they have very different styles and I can see them both improving immensely.