PDA

View Full Version : Luke Meikle

zag944
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
@masonkelley Bellarmine Prep junior Luke Meikle has given a verbal commitment to play basketball at Gonzaga.

Interesting.

BobZag
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Wha, who, wha, wher, huh, er, wha?

zag944
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I dont know who this guy is. Slipper still fits just tweeted that he's a 3/4 combo.

DagsZags
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Apparently he was on campus last week. TSSF says he's a Euro-style 4/3. Other than that, not a whole of info...

Psychozag
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Wow. I don't think I have ever seen a recruit come this far out of left field. Euros and JC players often come out of nowhere, or with maybe a word or two the week before, but a U.S. High School player? Is this for real?

BobZag
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Okay, B-Preppers. Spill the beans on this kid.

RockandRollJames
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
We got him! Yes!

Baldwinzag
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
So it begins...

From his highlights & scouting reports, he makes Mathis Keita look like D-Wade.

Ah well, gotta fill up the practice squad with bodies. We only have 11 players as it stands. Not enough for a serious pick-up game/scrimmage, sign him up for the time being -- 1 year commitments until proven otherwise.

Expect more to follow.

CDC84
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Doesn't even have a profile at scout or rivals.

zag944
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Pendergraft II (I can hope)

bullzag23
04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Okay, B-Preppers. Spill the beans on this kid.

From a 10 second youtube video I found I've verified that he can, in fact dunk. That's a plus, right?

ZagNut08
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
From a 10 second youtube video I found I've verified that he can, in fact dunk. That's a plus, right?

You confirmed my previous in depth research.

Can't find anything on this guy...where is ZagNative?!

RockandRollJames
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
!

http://leftcoastrecruiting.com/2011/12/14/intro-2013-lucas-meikle/

Still excited!

bostonzagfan
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
nothing wrong with signing someone who will be happy to see no mins for 2 years then play spot/rotation minutes his jr/sr year.

i have no idea if that is the case here, but if it is i am fine with it.

ZAGGED OUT
04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
lot of doubt in this kid it sounds like, at this point im not too opposed. 6-8 (a little skinny) and 3/4 combo is a nice addition to have. We have bigs who can bang down low so a little length on the perimiter will never hurt. Not the most athletic, and I'm not claiming he'll be a star, but he finishes well through contact and from the few jump shots I've seen on youtube he appears to have a good looking stroke atleast from mid range. Regardless, here's a vid for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_JbAoH71pQ&feature=relmfu

americasteam
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
So it begins...

From his highlights & scouting reports, he makes Mathis Keita look like D-Wade.

Ah well, gotta fill up the practice squad with bodies. We only have 11 players as it stands. Not enough for a serious pick-up game/scrimmage, sign him up for the time being -- 1 year commitments until proven otherwise.

Expect more to follow.

He's a junior this year, so won't have him for next year

CanadianZagFan
04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Could be one of those late bloomers, either coming off a growth spurt, or just recently taking up the game seriously. He is only a junior and has a year to grow with direction from the staff. He did show a bit of decent footwork in the video as well as an ability to use both hands... something to start with.

GUZag08
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I trust the staff. Even though this is out of left field I think theres still a chance he's a quality plater

Mantua
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Pigeon-holing this kid seems silly when there is going to be an entire year to watch him play. Grew an inch from roster to article.

KennewickZag
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
If he wants to play immediately, he'll be disappointed and it will be another transfer. If he's willing to redshirt, work hard, and wait for his time he could be a good one. A team has to have role players. The problem is finding kids today that are content to be role players on a good team while getting a free education.

ZagNative
04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Second-team all-tournament in the State 4A tournament (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120305/BLOG18/120309879/1004/SPORTS).

Win over Mt. Rainier in the State Tournament: 17 points and 9 rebounds (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017641763_apbkhwash4aboysmountrainierbellarminepr ep.html)

15 points and 12 rebounds in Semi-final Loss to Davis. Video showing highlights of that game (http://www.king5.com/sports/high-school/4A-Boys-Semis-Davis-52-Bellarmine-Prep-46-141278433.html). Miekle is #21

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w6d0p5PKR8c/T5skfIdhj_I/AAAAAAABVQI/JQlntxYWA2c/s512/2012-04-28%2520Lucas%2520Mielke-1.JPG

Bellarmine’s Lucas Meikle looks to finish a slam dunk in the Lions’ tournament-opening 66-50 win over Mount Rainier on March 1.

zagfan07
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey, hes a NW kid. Fits that 3-4 perimeter type player. Watch the Youtube clip half-way up the page from the Bigfoot Las Vegas Tourney. He's only a junior.

I like it! Fills a need, can develop over 4 years. Great pickup!

dnj116
04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Per SSF:

Slipper Still Fits ‏ @slipperstillfit
According to @masonkelley , Gonzaga has landed a commitment from 2013 SF Luke Meikle. Haven't been able to confirm elsewhere at this point

I haven't heard anything on this kid. Thoughts/links/analysis?

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Any word on Luke's jumper? I like combo forwards if they can shoot. A stretch 4 is no good if he can't actually stretch the defense. So far, as referenced above, the only info I can find on the kid is that he has the ability to dunk a basketball.

dnj116
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Aaaaaand apparently there was already a thread on this that I somehow missed. Feel free to remove mods. Darn, I'm never the first to find something...

cggonzaga
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
From his highlights & scouting reports, he makes Mathis Keita look like D-Wade

Don't get the purpose of this statement nor do i agree with it. Completely different players.

The kid doesn't look all that bad to me especially considering he's only a junior. Reminds me of a more athletic version of Sean Mallon. Maybe he grows to 6'10" and we've got quite the steal.

Kiddwell
04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
...and this:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/0HqltBHCGEWRt0-XsHcJDw/basketball-winter-11-12/profile-lucas-meikle.htm

:]

Zag 77
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Remember that we did get Casey Calvary, Jim McPhee and Bryce McPhee from Bellarmine of Tacoma. That is enough reason to give the kid a break and at least give him a chance to prove himself.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
You confirmed my previous in depth research.

Can't find anything on this guy...where is ZagNative?!

I'm pretty sure we scared her away with our shennanigans

ZagFanInNC
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
The kid doesn't look all that bad to me especially considering he's only a junior. Reminds me of a more athletic version of Sean Mallon. Maybe he grows to 6'10" and we've got quite the steal.

I can't stand Sean Mallon so i'm not crazy about the comparison. If he does grow over the next year I agree that he could be a steal.

Reminds me of a throwback GU recruit, I kind of like it.

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Oops. Should have read further. Thanks for your bravery and showing your face ZN! ;]

JAGzag
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
In Mark Few we trust.

zagfan1970
04-27-2012, 03:26 PM
lot of doubt in this kid it sounds like, at this point im not too opposed. 6-8 (a little skinny) and 3/4 combo is a nice addition to have. We have bigs who can bang down low so a little length on the perimiter will never hurt. Not the most athletic, and I'm not claiming he'll be a star, but he finishes well through contact and from the few jump shots I've seen on youtube he appears to have a good looking stroke atleast from mid range. Regardless, here's a vid for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_JbAoH71pQ&feature=relmfu

BOTH people in the crowd seemed to be impressed.

zag buddy
04-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Kind of looks like a young Micah Downs to me.

Kiddwell
04-27-2012, 03:28 PM
I can't stand Sean Mallon so i'm not crazy about the comparison. If he does grow over the next year I agree that he could be a steal.

Reminds me of a throwback GU recruit, I kind of like it.

Can't stand him? Kiddwell recalls Mallon as the first 4-star recruit the Zags landed way back when. (Probably were others.) Not sure he lived up to being a 4-star...so be it. Mallon improved a lot over his career, put on weight, was solid. He couldn't jump worth beans, but he was a dedicated player.

By comparison (just looking at the videos), Luke Meikle seems to have a lot more "hop" and athleticism than Mallon.

ZagNative
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Oops. Should have read further. Thanks for your bravery and showing your face ZN! ;]Learning after lo these many years to be more discerning about which threads I open. I expect this one to go to hell in a handbasket any minute.

BobZag
04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Looks like a Butler big, and they've done well with them.

GoZags
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Can't stand him? Kiddwell recalls Mallon as the first 4-star recruit the Zags landed way back when. (Probably were others.) Not sure he lived up to being a 4-star...so be it. Mallon improved a lot over his career, put on weight, was solid. He couldn't jump worth beans, but he was a dedicated player.

By comparison (just looking at the videos), Luke Meikle seems to have a lot more "hop" and athleticism than Mallon.

"His signing means everything to this program. It means we are now able to recruit on the elite level. He was recruited by the most prestigious schools in America, he was able to say no and say he wanted to come to GU," Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said. "It allows us to keep a local player at home, and better than all of that he's just a great fit for our program and what we need."

http://www.socalhoops.com/prep01/1101/gonzagasignings1115.htm

ZagNative
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Mason Kelley posts more (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2018089868_bellarmine_prep_basketball_sta.html) in the Seattle-Times.
Luke Meikle doesn't mind that he has been an under-the-radar prospect.

The only thing that matters to the Bellarmine Prep junior is that the school he wanted to play for offered him a scholarship.

The 6-foot-8 forward drove with his parents to Spokane Sunday, spent Monday visiting the Gonzaga campus and left with a scholarship offer from coach Mark Few and the Bulldogs.

CDC84
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Gonzaga has a lot of open scholarships right now, and not everyone of those players is probably going to be a big name recruit.

awberke
04-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Gonzaga found success with under the radar players, we are suddenly too good for them now?

Vanzagger
04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
welcome.

Matt Howard was my favorite and one of the best players in college b-ball a couple years ago.

If BZ is even close on this he will fine. It looks like he has a polished left already.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
What stands out to me is that we have signed players in consecutive years that are from the Seattle area and wanted to play ball at GU. I realize there is a big difference between GB2 and this new guy, but I have always felt that the key for us to make a final four and eventually move into the upper echelon of the NCAA is landing bigtime recruits out of Seattle and Portland. He may not pan out, he may be a star, but I always get excited when we sign guys straight out of HS in Washington.

Get good players from Seattle and more will want to come over to GU. Especially if Romar continues to show he has the worst success-to-talent level ratio in the nation every year by far.

Baldwinzag
04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't get the purpose of this statement nor do i agree with it. Completely different players.

I've been on a 15 hr road trip since last night & posted via my phone. The kid looks fine, yet don't expect much. BZ giving major credit comparing him to a Butler big as they are recruiting 4* kids & recruits the last couple seasons, yet understand where he's coming from -- Luke has BIG TIME work to do(or grow) before he's a serious prospect at this level, yet I'm always a proponent of regional prospects and developing the NW pipeline. My intention wasn't to compare him to Keita as a player, just saying its a "swap" of sorts, is it not?...no one really reads my posts anyway, so its all good.

I like him b/c he's a Zag, but we can hope all we want, but this kid is marginal at best. I hope he has a huge SR year, grows 2" as everyone is wanting, and proves me wrong. This kid is more 11th man kinda prospect and I'm just fine with that...gotta have role players.

maynard g krebs
04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I watched the first qtr of B Prep's state tourney game v. Mount Rainier. Didn't even remember who Meikle was until I saw the vid. I vaguely remember BP had a couple of tall kids who I thought might be Big Sky or Seattle Pacific/Western Wa. caliber.

He looks a lot better on the highlight tape than I remember, but it's a highlight tape. Certainly has some skills and feel.

With 13 schollies and minutes for 8-9 players, it makes sense to get some guys that will provide roster stability, want to be Zags and will wait their turn and maybe develop in time. All in all, could be a good move to sign a kid like this out of the 3-4 available schollies per year.

sittingon50
04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Has this board ever thrown anyone younger under the bus?

Reborn
04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I love this. I'm so happy to see another Washington State student athlete get a scholarship to Gonzaga. I love the kids from our state who play for GU. Washington State kids are tough, and they are team players. Meikle comes out of Tacoma, not Seattle, and there are a lot of great players who come out of Tacoma. Luke wants to play for GU, and I'm all for it. He makes me think back to guys like Mark Spinks. Spinks was tall and thin, and as tough as nails. And Mike is most likely a player who will graduate from GU. I'm smiling tonight.

The video shows a player who is quick and verstile, and who can shoot with his left hand very well. He has quick spin moves to the basket. He is not slow and methodic like Rob Sacre but is fast and quick. He dribbles well for a 6' 8" player who mostly plays inside. Finally, he uses the backboard really well. And what I like best about Meikle is he's just a junior and will be even better next year.

MDABE80
04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
They did it again!!!!!!! Lots of time. Im sure if this boy has a lousy year, the coaches will know what to do. Further though, If a killer player shows up, we'll cover that one way or another...
Not worried. Honestly I've not heard of this kid but he doesn't look so bad.
If he develops good shooting and good habits and is willing to learn..why not???

bballbeachbum
04-27-2012, 07:15 PM
If he wants to play immediately, he'll be disappointed and it will be another transfer. If he's willing to redshirt, work hard, and wait for his time he could be a good one. A team has to have role players. The problem is finding kids today that are content to be role players on a good team while getting a free education.

+1

JPtheBeasta
04-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Mason Kelley posts more (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2018089868_bellarmine_prep_basketball_sta.html) in the Seattle-Times.

Not a bad weekend for the guy. Good on ya. If he's not a star, we can always use role players. Looks like he likely won't be jumping ship early, at least

hondo
04-27-2012, 07:38 PM
This thread reminds me so much of a thread about a year ago on Karnowski. Lots of doubt then but some of those same doubters gave a big sigh of relief earlier this week when PK declined visits to Duke and Kansas.
A few of the things I know:
1) You really can't judge much from youtube videos.
2) Recruiting is more art than science you are always betting on how thw player develops.
3) A real desire to be a Zag is a very important quality

stevet75
04-27-2012, 07:44 PM
This thread reminds me so much of a thread about a year ago on Karnowski. Lots of doubt then but some of those same doubters gave a big sigh of relief earlier this week when PK declined visits to Duke and Kansas.
2) Recruiting is more art than science you are always betting on how thw player develops.

Amen

JeffyJeff
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM

This

katman50
04-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I like to think that the Zags coaches know what they are doing. And have done their homework on this guy. Firstly, I'm glad that he wants to be a Zag. Secondly, he's from Washington. And on the West side of the mountains, no less. I remember watching Adam, his junior year at Mead, at the state tournament. They lost both of their games. Two and out. Adam was okay, nothing special. His senior year, it was a whole different ball game. Previously he had been on no ones radar. Even his senior year. I don't know that he got many D1 offers. Am not comparing Luke to a young Adam. But hopefully Few and Co. have done their due diligence. This guy may really blossom his senior year. At any rate, he wants to be a Zag. Good enough for me. At the worst, he will be a dedicated role player. Hoping for the best, he has a few years to develop, get a growth spurt and take off. Welcome to the Zags, Luke!!!!!!

Ziggy
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I like to think that the Zags coaches know what they are doing. And have done their homework on this guy. Firstly, I'm glad that he wants to be a Zag. Secondly, he's from Washington. And on the West side of the mountains, no less. I remember watching Adam, his junior year at Mead, at the state tournament. They lost both of their games. Two and out. Adam was okay, nothing special. His senior year, it was a whole different ball game. Previously he had been on no ones radar. Even his senior year. I don't know that he got many D1 offers. Am not comparing Luke to a young Adam. But hopefully Few and Co. have done their due diligence. This guy may really blossom his senior year. At any rate, he wants to be a Zag. Good enough for me. At the worst, he will be a dedicated role player. Hoping for the best, he has a few years to develop, get a growth spurt and take off. Welcome to the Zags, Luke!!!!!!

+1 My thoughts exactly ! Welcome to the fold !

bostonzagfan
04-27-2012, 08:34 PM
i think that when people are saying they hope he is ok with being a role player, they mean that they just hope he isnt coming in with expectations that could be let down. you can't have 12 guys on your roster who expect to start.

SWZag
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Out of three pages, I only saw two posts that mention welcome! Not much of a hospitable family.

Welcome to the family, Luke.

SWZag

Kiddwell
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Out of three pages, I only saw two posts that mention welcome! Not much of a hospitable family.

SWZag

You're right, SWZag.

Hey, Luke! Great to have you aboard! Expecting to see a great senior campaign. It's a big deal when America's Team and one of top two or three teams out West recruits a guy! Wear your Zags gear with pride. Expectin' to see you on campus in about 16 months.

The flowers are for your proud parents: :adored:

jim77
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
He does look at bit like Micah Downs. The kid has some skills.....WELCOME LUKE!

cggonzaga
04-28-2012, 12:40 AM
He does look at bit like Micah Downs. The kid has some skills.....WELCOME LUKE!

He may "look" like Downs but their games are way diffferent, especially in high school. Downs was incredibally athletic and could stroke it from anywhere on the court. He played more of a guard's game. Obviously he went on to become a McDonald's AA.

I like Luke much more than some on this board. I saw quite a bit of Sean Mallon in high school and their footwork and post moves are eerily similar, even their shots to a degree. I agree that Luke looks like a better athlete than Sean but Sean wasn't that bad of an athlete in high school. To me his floor is at least Sean Mallon (which isn't all that bad) and if he grows a little more he could be a stud.

MickMick
04-28-2012, 04:00 AM
On the condition that there is an opening...........

Standard recruit speak.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Adam Morrison was not a big "get" for Gonzaga in recruiting circles. He was just a 6'8" skinny kid from a Washington high school who wanted to be a Zag. He didn't look like a great athlete on his high school tapes. The Gonzaga staff saw something that nobody else saw.

Casey Calvary was just a skinny kid from a Washington high school who wasn't "strong" enough to play for the Pac-10. The Gonzaga staff saw something that nobody else saw.

Hmmmmm....

cjm720
04-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Welcome to Gonzaga, Luke!!!

JAGzag
04-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Adam Morrison was not a big "get" for Gonzaga in recruiting circles. He was just a 6'8" skinny kid from a Washington high school who wanted to be a Zag. He didn't look like a great athlete on his high school tapes. The Gonzaga staff saw something that nobody else saw.

Casey Calvary was just a skinny kid from a Washington high school who wasn't "strong" enough to play for the Pac-10. The Gonzaga staff saw something that nobody else saw.

Hmmmmm....

Great points. We see what happens when we have 12 kids that expect to start and someone made the great point of recruiting talent from the area - kids that just want to be a Zag - much like the Butler success. Kids that stay around, develop and provide leadership as an upperclassman. That, and it's Few, folks, who has done a pretty damn good job Id'ing talent under the radar. Welcome aboard!!

Zagcity
04-28-2012, 06:13 AM

Yes, Sir thats what I was thinking :fingergun:

Zagdawg
04-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Welcome to the Zag family!

Reborn
04-28-2012, 06:34 AM
I think this kind of recruiting is Gonzaga at it's best. How many guys has Mark Few et al recruited who no one had heard about? Ha ha ha ha! And they later turn out to be stars. The last was Elias Harris.

I think some fans forget how good Sean Mallon was in highschool. He also was injury pleagued most of career, yet he fought through injury after injury and was always able to contribute.

bigblahla
04-28-2012, 06:53 AM
He wants to be a Zag :D

The young man has gotten his opportunity to fulfill his dream at GU.

Welcome aboard we could use some Jedi mind tricks on some attitudes round here. Have we had a Luke before?

Young master Luke and family if you happen chance across this board I'll stand by my post in another thread, collectively, we are nuts here. Don't take anything to seriously that is our job we are the fans(fanactics). We claim the right of over-blowing every possible thing imagined down to even the smallest minutia which we are more than capable of turning into a molehill and if time permits into a mountain.

You have chosen a great school and program. Again, a hearty welcome to you, your family and friends to Zaggieville. :clap::clap::clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2012, 07:02 AM
I think this kind of recruiting is Gonzaga at it's best. How many guys has Mark Few et al recruited who no one had heard about? Ha ha ha ha! And they later turn out to be stars. The last was Elias Harris.

I think some fans forget how good Sean Mallon was in highschool. He also was injury pleagued most of career, yet he fought through injury after injury and was always able to contribute.

Keegan Hyland. Just sayin' :D

hooter73
04-28-2012, 07:21 AM
The obvious: he is a high school junior and taller than everyone he plays against, most 6'5 and up ball players are. Cant sue them for taking advantage of the mismatch more than having a huge and varied developed skill set.

He obviously has some skills and with early coaching, who knows. A good under the radar hard worker that can be a perimeter mismatch and play and finish near the basket i'll watch any day. Not everyone is a 5 star recruit but imo we do better without the 5 star guys.

Welcome to GU Luke!

Jedster
04-28-2012, 07:33 AM

But also Kyle Dranginis, Elias Harris, et. al. Especially Harris, we all were like "what?" "Who?"

I get the angst of some of this as he's not the "blue chipper" that we all want to see commit (and commit early). I also love the fact that maybe they saw something in this kid really early before everyone else gets in on him. The huge freak out on the other threads about PK shows that it's quite the dog fight once other programs realize who some of these kids are. Not saying he's going to turn into that talent level, but using it as an example. They must have seen something when he was on campus that they really liked.

It sure is riskier for Few to offer someone at this time, I'm guessing based on the potential he sees coming in the next year or two. If he was a senior right now, I'd be a lot more concerned-much like the case with Hyland we got late and who had lots of concerns about his injury. I'm really hoping that we see something big from him next year, then we can all be excited like we were when we got an early commit from Dranginis. Risky yes, but we do have a lot of openings and it's early in the recruitment for 2013.

Welcome Luke!

Reborn
04-28-2012, 07:43 AM

If you had read one more sentence you would have had the whole thought. "That they later turned out to be stars." Just saying!!! Reading a post completely gives a person a better idea of what someone is trying to say.

mnzag24
04-28-2012, 07:44 AM
!

http://leftcoastrecruiting.com/2011/12/14/intro-2013-lucas-meikle/

Still excited!

if he is anything like this report claims he is, then we got a steal. welcome my dude.

bostonzagfan
04-28-2012, 08:08 AM
for all we know, this kid blows up and it was huge that we got him early. no one knows at this point, anything can happen.

i want a kid who wants to be a zag.

welcome luke.

tyra
04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I like this get. Here is what he has: good hops, very good shooter, high bball IQ and a great attitude (including he wants to play here!) look: whether he blows up and is an under-the-radar steal or just continues to develop and become a role player doesn't matter. We win either way. Welcome aboard Luke! Have a great senior campaign (except when you play Olympia).

Snagglezag
04-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Last night in a conversation with a head coach of a Mountain West program, the subject of this kid came up. Yes, very much under the radar, but tremendous upside. He really, really liked his game. The Zags had to jump on it quick, and may have secured something special. Time will tell.

Welcome to Zagdom, Luke!

Malastein
04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Kelly Olynyk type recruit. And at least he won't get homesick.

RenoZag
04-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Has this board ever thrown anyone younger under the bus?

Great observation indeed.

There are people who would have p@ssed & moaned if the Zags had signed Kevin Love for being "a one and done" type, not a "true Zag," and assorted other rot. . .

Can't please all of the people all of the time, especially the axe grinders.

Congrats to Luke, his family, and his supporters.

Zagtana
04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Welcome Luke. So glad to have you as a ZAG.

Obviously, it you are reading these messages, you are looking at this forum. If so, some advice... as the words to an old song goes...

"You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between"

You'll have the very best in coaches in Mark Few and his staff. They're the ones to listen to, be patient, and you'll be better than just fine.

DCZag
04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
What's not to like? 6-8 with some skills, early commit who wants to be here, lots of upside, under the radar recruit like the Zags of old. I like it. Could develop or may be depth - maybe a RS candidate to bulk up. I like the proactive approach.
Welcome to the Zag family Luke and don't judge us too harshly based on a few knucklehead posters on a fan board.

bballbeachbum
04-28-2012, 09:30 AM

SWZag

You're right and I was remiss.

welcome Luke! serve it up and do your thing!

Bocco
04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
What's not to like?..........Welcome to the Zag family Luke and don't judge us too harshly based on a few knucklehead posters on a fan board.

Agreed ..... there was a time when a player commited to the Zags all posts uniformily welcomed him to Gonzaga, and wished him success.

I don't think I was ten posts into this thread before I had the ugre to go out for some tacos.

JPtheBeasta
04-28-2012, 09:36 AM

SWZag

+1,000,000

I feel like a taco-eating jerk

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Welcome & congratulations, Luke!

BobZag
04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Meehan interviews Luke's father:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/apr/28/more-meikle/

Welcome, Luke and family.

gu03alum
04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Welcome to GU, Luke!

Jedster
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Meehan interviews Luke's father:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/apr/28/more-meikle/

Welcome, Luke and family.

Sounds like the plan is for him to play the 3 at GU when they talk about him playing more on the perimeter for his AAU team and BP next year? Is that the take away from others from the article?

MDABE80
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I like this get. Here is what he has: good hops, very good shooter, high bball IQ and a great attitude (including he wants to play here!) look: whether he blows up and is an under-the-radar steal or just continues to develop and become a role player doesn't matter. We win either way. Welcome aboard Luke! Have a great senior campaign (except when you play Olympia).

This one right here!.
14-10 kid as a Jr. I reviewed ALL his videos. He's 6 8 and growing. Contrary to the "Mallon" comment this kids has very good vertical. I think we all are expecting big named kids. I think Few has one in the wings but unnanouced.
Luke though...he's got very good footwork and he scores very well from a variety of positions. I do NOT think he's a project any more than other frosh.

We need to follow closely. I suspect his Summer and Sr year will show the staff did indeed find a very good player for us. He just doesn't have a big name...just yet. Signing with GU will help that. I like this young kid. He'll fill out...I'd say 6 9 220 ( haven't heard about his bones or frame)...but he's got the longer arms. This "no name" kid has some very good tools. I suspect his accolades will be more clear his Sr year.
Welcome aboard Luke!

Ekrub
04-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Poor kid... Heister will be butchering his last name until 2015

JPtheBeasta
04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
“(GU) was his first offer, but sometimes the first is the best,” Brian said. “The two most important things are the program and the school and you're going to have a hard time beating Gonzaga. It's a national program and a fantastic school. On the West Coast, you don't beat Gonzaga. As we were driving home, it became a no-brainer.”

Someone needs to forward this to Karnowksi :]

It really does sound like he plans on being a perimeter guy. I do like that he is local. He's Monninghoff-like in size and frame. That much length at the 3 would be great. It sounds like, at least from his dad, that he is decent shooter from outside. This will be interesting to follow.

CDC84
04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/4/28/2984113/zags-on-the-board-for-2013-lucas-meikle-commits

The first thing people need to realize is that Gonzaga has a ton of open scholarships over the next two years. Assuming Przemek Karnowski joins the team for next season, the Zags will only have eight guys on scholarship (potentially nine if The Hoff doesn't transfer). Even if Mike Hart and David Stockton are both given full scholarships, that would only bring the total to 10 (or 11 if Hoff stays). So by the time that Meikle gets on campus, Elias Harris, Guy Landry-Edi and Mike Hart will all be gone, which means that at most their will only be eight guys on scholarship heading into the 2013-14 season.

I don't know if some people realize just how many schoolies are available now and in the future at Gonzaga. Gonzaga has always had guys like Meilke on its roster, but recently they have come in the form of foreign kids or non-Pacific NW kids like Mathis Keita, Mamary Diallo and Keegan Hyland. I think the staff have come to the conclusion that it is probably not a good idea to have these kinds of guys serving this kind of role on the team. It just leads to problems. It's best to have Pacific NW type players with a great work ethic and a deep desire to be Zags. I am not trying to say this kid isn't any good - for all we know he could develop into the hidden gem of the 2013 class - but what Gonzaga needs right now are some guys on the roster who want to be here and who will stick it out. There are more than enough schoolies available for the Zach Lavine and Xavier Rathan-Mayes types.

ZagNative
04-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Scholarship outlook, by my reckoning ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tyWfEZC5ILE/T5toRPC6dbI/AAAAAAABVQU/gGWX6yAR9Fs/s723/2012-04-27%2520Scholie%2520Chart.jpg

MDABE80
04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
We have lots open. No doubt. We still have need of a very good wing and a big. I hope the staff is still looking.
I do like Luke......by the time he get's here, I suspect his advancing talent and size will make him a jewel. I suspect he's got an appointment as an All Stater if I'm right. If I'm not, well...it apparently wouldn't be the first time. I suspect Few has an idea for this kid. I'd have him gain some weight and muscle. I'd also have him do a "Rotnei" and shoot 700 balls per day. Something tells me this kid's going to be more than alright. He moves SO well without the ball.

ldszagfan
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Like many have been saying, one of the most important qualities in a recruit is him WANTING to play here. I think Luke is a solid commitment. Welcome young padawan!

Baseline
04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Welcome Luke! This will give me a good reason to track the high school ball this year and watch him grow as a player.

I think he looks great for a Jr. Lets see what the future brings.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
This looks like one of those "under the radar" signings, and I loooove "under the radar" types, but I have one question: how does this affect our recruiting efforts with the 6'9 2013 sf outta Oregon that seemed really high on us? I forget his name, but it appears that both he and Meikle are quite similar. no?

maynard g krebs
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
This looks like one of those "under the radar" signings, and I loooove "under the radar" types, but I have one question: how does this affect our recruiting efforts with the 6'9 2013 sf outta Oregon that seemed really high on us? I forget his name, but it appears that both he and Meikle are quite similar. no?

If you mean Hermanson, he's around 6'6.

stretchlimo
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Luke as a soph

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/lm1.png

Another soph pic, getting the discard from a future teammate

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/lm2.png

Then as a junior

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/lm3.png

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/stretchlimo1/lm4.png

Congrats to Luke and family, and welcome to GU.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
If you mean Hermanson, he's around 6'6.

Yes, that's his name. Thank you. I thought he was a little taller, but either way, he's an sf; same position and year as Miekle. Both are very big on us too. Just wondering if one will affect the other.

ZagNative
04-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Yay! Stretchlimo is in the hood again, bearing goodies!

snebzag
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
He could redshirt his first year, grow another inch, gain 18 pounds, shoot shoot shoot, practice against very good players. 2014 we may see the next Ammo.
"May" was the key word, but you never know. And the name Luke is a very good northwest basketball name. His hair is also a plus.

Welcome Luke!!! Welcome.

madness
04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
IMO, it will be interesting to see if the coaching staff starts pushing for NW commits (like Luke) in the next couple classes. It seems like the NW is underrated as far as recruits compared to previous years and GU could discover some gems again.

hooter73
04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
unless another wing/SF signs on, why would he redshirt his first year? Depending on his size/skills/position, backup minutes to KO/Dower at the forward and/or Drag/Hoff on the wing would go a long way in being a contributor when they all graduate.

MDABE80
04-29-2012, 09:42 AM
It's way too premature to design anything for him. At least wait till he's on campus before making proposed plans for Luke. We won't see him for 1.5 years. I suppose we'll know a bit more by then.

willandi
04-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Think he should start as a Frosh, average 32 min/game, 29.3ppg 12.7reb/game and 10.1 assists/game. Hey, It could happen!

Birddog
04-29-2012, 10:03 AM
It's way too premature to desgin anything for him. At least wait till he's on campus before making proposed plans for Luke. We won't see him for 1.5 years. I suppose we'll know a bit more by then.
Aw come on Doc. that's way too logical. Who the heck taught you how to think?

04ZagFan
04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I'd say he'll be at a D2 school by 2015. :-)

23dpg
04-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Not cool. What a dickish thing to say about a HS junior....who just committed.

Boo.

hooter73
04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
people have been banned for comments like that and rightly so. What a tool.

zagfan1970
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Atleast he will be more educated than you

madness
04-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Not cool. What a dickish thing to say about a HS junior....who just committed.

Boo.

Has 04ZagFan contributed anything positive to this board yet? Might be time for the Ignore button.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Are you trying to get banned from this board? Really?

CDC84
04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Mission accomplished.

sittingon50
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
:clap:

MDABE80
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
WOW...an annoyance but I don't think enough to be banned. Maybe some "corner time with his hands up over his head" for a few days?? ;)

TheZagPhish
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Mission accomplished.

http://f.cl.ly/items/1S0a1E0q2t3l2j0K1z0Y/kisses_thumbs-up.gif

Zagdawg
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Friends and family of players are now safe to come back to the board without worrying about some closet husky fan degrading their Zag family member.

The sun is already starting to peek through the clouds.

:clap:

SLOZag
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Mission accomplished.

Świetne prace!

:000tens: :clap: :cheers: :agreed:

bigblahla
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
WOW...an annoyance but I don't think enough to be banned. Maybe some "corner time with his hands up over his head" for a few days?? ;)

+1

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Really? Kid oughta' bag it right now!

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I feel we're just replacing the practice squad player we lost in Keita. If he makes strides in practice, then let him play some garbage minutes, but I don't expect to ever see him starting outside of senior night.

That said, I really hope he exceed my expectations.

Perhaps we should watch him play at least one college game before relegating him to garbage minutes. Or better yet, an entire season... maybe even two.

JPtheBeasta
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't see the point in bashing this kid. It's not like people are hyping him up in Kong-esque fashion and in need of tempering of expectations. The only benefit in saying negative things about him right now would be to say I told you so later- and what's the benefit of that? It's a no-win situation. He still has two years of highschool left? A lot can change. He has good length and he's local, which many people have been clamouring for around here. He's a Zag, so we should all be happy for him and optimistic about his future.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
He's a Zag, so we should all be happy for him and optimistic about his future.

+1

maynard g krebs
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
He still has two years of highschool left?

One.

NotoriousZ
04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Has 04ZagFan contributed anything positive to this board yet? Might be time for the Ignore button.

Mission accomplished.

THANK YOU. I was actually about to send a PM to one or mods requesting this. I've tried using the ignore button before, but something in me just has to know what dumb-ass thing was said. If we had a really smart ignore function, it could give you a summary of what was on the ignored post. Such as:

* Put down player
* Criticized coach
* Arguing with GUBoard member (not in a civil manner)
* Just plain stupid

Is this a permanent ban? Crossing fingers.

ID ZAGFAN
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM

THANK YOU. I was actually about to send a PM to one or mods requesting this. I've tried using the ignore button before, but something in me just has to know what dumb-ass thing was said. If we had a really smart ignore function, it could give you a summary of what was on the ignored post. Such as:

* Put down player
* Criticized coach
* Arguing with GUBoard member (not in a civil manner)
* Just plain stupid

Is this a permanent ban? Crossing fingers.

Totally agree. Even if you are able to resist the temptation to look at the dumb-ass post as I am, at least three people will quote it, so you can't avoid it at all.

ZaGranny

ridgebackzag
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
My post was deleted, even though it was civil and an honest OPINION. The totalitarian modding approach on this board needs to stop.

Zag 77
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
04 deserves about a 150 days suspension, not a ban. That would make him eligible just before the basketball season, assuming he throws himself on the mercy of the moderators.

It may very well be that 04 refers to his birth year, not his graduation year. That would explain a lot.

hondo
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
"It may very well be that 04 refers to his birth year, not his graduation year. That would explain a lot."
But which 04?

CDC84
04-30-2012, 10:56 PM
04 deserves about a 150 days suspension, not a ban. That would make him eligible just before the basketball season, assuming he throws himself on the mercy of the moderators.

He's already been given a short vacation before. Not by me, either.

Birddog
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
I don't think I've ever seen so many Dickheaded posts on a thread about a new Zag commitment. 04's desire to always post some "edgey" comment was getting tiresome and it also led to others trying to do the same. If he is banned for life it wouldn't bother me because the negative outweighed the positive by a good margin. The players, prospects and their families read these boards. Keep it in mind when you post. Just because you're anonymous doesn't mean you have to abandon civility.

gu03alum
05-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Mission accomplished.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/images/1030-02.jpg

Bocco
05-01-2012, 06:05 AM
My post was deleted, even though it was civil and an honest OPINION. The totalitarian modding approach on this board needs to stop.

I totally disagree! Posters need to show some discernment in what they chose to post. For those children who are unable to moderate themselves, them some adult will be forced to do it for them.

tobizag
05-01-2012, 06:21 AM
I don't think I've ever seen so many Dickheaded posts on a thread about a new Zag commitment. 04's desire to always post some "edgey" comment was getting tiresome and it also led to others trying to do the same. If he is banned for life it wouldn't bother me because the negative outweighed the positive by a good margin. The players, prospects and their families read these boards. Keep it in mind when you post. Just because you're anonymous doesn't mean you have to abandon civility.

+1

a good friend of mine recently put in his two weeks with his employer. he's been a dedicated employee and is a zag alum. since giving notice, HR has done some things that have left him stunned and given him justification for giving them a piece of his mind in his final exit interview.

he sought council from a fellow employee/zag alum. she's been with the company for 20+ years. after venting about HR's actions, he finally asked her "what's stopping me from blowing up in this exit interview?" her response?

"you're a zag."