PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday news

BobZag
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Baylor's freshman big Quincy Miller will go pro.

Marquette loses its top assistant to North Texas (head coching job).

So, Baylor loses a diaper dandy for their game in K2 next fall/winter. And a school in the running for Trent Lockett loses a top assistant coach.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
straws, grasping. :)

Baldwinzag
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Interesting, thanks for the updates BZ.

Baylor is going to miss Quincy Miller in a big way. In some ways, I felt he had a higher ceiling than either Jones III or Acy, yet wasn't there yet. Seems to be leaving at least a year too early in a very deep draft. His mind was always set on being one 'n done.

However, Baylor has a Top-5 ranked 2012 class arriving this Fall. They have the 3rd Overall ranked recruit in C Isaiah Austin, 7'0" 220 lbs who some claim is the top prospect in the entire Country. They have two other Top-50 kids, a PF & PG coming in as well.

Baylor returns their leading scorer next year and their best shooter. Combined with the talented frosh, they should still be Top-20 good by the time we play them in K2.

Marquette nearly lost Coach Williams to SMU (turned it down the very last minute), now a top Assistant, although I doubt it'll have any bearing on Trent's decision.

LongIslandZagFan
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
straws, grasping. :)

Don't be a parody of yourself Jazz. I don't think he was trying to imply anything, but rather giving related news.

jazzdelmar
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Don't be a parody of yourself Jazz. I don't think he was trying to imply anything, but rather giving related news.

thanks for the decorum lesson, lizf. but beezer and i go way back. he gets it. just a laff after a couple of hectic days.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
However, Baylor has a Top-5 ranked 2012 class arriving this Fall. They have the 3rd Overall ranked recruit in C Isaiah Austin, 7'0" 220 lbs who some claim is the top prospect in the entire Country.

7 foot 220 lbs? Hopefully he puts on a little weight so that he doesn't end up just being all hype.

LongIslandZagFan
04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
thanks for the decorum lesson, lizf. but beezer and i go way back. he gets it. just a laff after a couple of hectic days.

Ahhh so you were parodying yourself. Clever. So I was right. ;)

jazzdelmar
04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Ahhh so you were parodying yourself. Clever. So I was right. ;)

always, BB. you the man from montauk to floral park......

ZAGGED OUT
04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
7 foot 220 lbs? Hopefully he puts on a little weight so that he doesn't end up just being all hype.

Looked up his highlight vid, 220 sounds about right. Looks like Olynyk from freshman year (weight wise obviously)

Baldwinzag
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/isaiah-austin-3.jpg

True, yet he runs the floor and handles the ball like a guard. He has even played PG for his HS team on occasion. Some state he's skilled enough shooter and with his ball handling to play on the perimeter at 7', apparently, he's an Austin Daye-type of prospect with a better motor. He's listed as a C, but most project him as a SF or combo at the next level. Sounds crazy, right?

Via ESPN:

He's basically a freak who has extended his range even further since his junior year. And on the perimeter he can is a match up nightmare because of his ball handling at 7 foot tall he can get to the basket like a small forward with a clear path. Although he can play on the wing, when he balances his play as an inside/out threat he becomes an almost impossible matchup and is fun to watch. He is a good area rebounder on both ends.

Isaiah is without a doubt one of the most unique players in this class. He is the most talented player in the 2012 class.

A taller and thinner version of Anthony Davis, perhaps?

titopoet
04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
He is like a young Dirk. Great outside shot, not much of a post up game, but is quicker than most centers. Drives and has a high IQ. Match up nightmare. It will be fun to see how KO matches up with him

awberke
04-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Kareem was 7'2" 225 coming into the league, if i recall correctly. He did alright.

maynard g krebs
04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Kareem was 7'2" 225 coming into the league, if i recall correctly. He did alright.

It was a completely different game then. The rule was "daylight in the post", i.e., offensive players were not allowed to "back down" the defender, and defenders were not allowed to shove the offensive player off the block. Almost all the bigs were skinny then, and it was not the disadvantage it is today.

ZAGGED OUT
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
It was a completely different game then. The rule was "daylight in the post", i.e., offensive players were not allowed to "back down" the defender, and defenders were not allowed to shove the offensive player off the block. Almost all the bigs were skinny then, and it was not the disadvantage it is today.

^ Truth

hondo
04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
"Almost all the bigs were skinny then"
And many of us as well.

sittingon50
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
:lmao: