PDA

View Full Version : Vitale's Preseason Top 40 for 2012-13

raise the zag
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Who cares, right?

The least knowledgable talking-head in all of College hoops, imo. He wouldn't have a job as an "analyst" if it weren't for his antics.

Ah well, he rakes in the ratings and the hits, so can't fault what works, I suppose.

Anyway, I thought I'd continue to support Vitale and share his annual Top-40, which literally only mentions the top-scorer on every team in less than a sentence in most instances. Dickie V works hard for the $ and it shows:

Early Preseason Top 40 for 2012-13
Updated: April 23, 2012, 2:47 PM ET
By Dick Vitale | ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/7845140/dick-vitale-preseason-top-40-2012-13)

29. GONZAGA

Analysis: Mark Few's team will make noise out west. Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. will be super as sophs.

Baldwinzag
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Vitale seems like a genuinely nice guy, yet in terms of his basketball knowledge of teams & players -- outside of Duke & Coach K -- well, :vomit-smiley-007:

rijman
04-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Kentucky #2? This may turn out to be accurate, but how can you rank a team #2 that lost 7 of their best 8 players? Is every freshman at Kentucky now expected to have an Anthony Davis season?

Zags #29 and out west we have AZ #12, UCLA #14 & SDSU #16. I would put money on the Zags being ranked much higher at the end of the season ahead of at least 2 of those west teams listed above.

UKWildcatsFan
04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Kentucky #2? This may turn out to be accurate, but how can you rank a team #2 that lost 7 of their best 8 players? Is every freshman at Kentucky now expected to have an Anthony Davis season?

Zags #29 and out west we have AZ #12, UCLA #14 & SDSU #16. I would put money on the Zags being ranked much higher at the end of the season ahead of at least 2 of those west teams listed above.

I think Vitale is assuming the incoming Freshman will live up to their hype. I think we will also see Gonzaga finish higher than 29th, not sure they'll finish ahead of UCLA. I definitely could see them leaping Arizona and San Diego State though.

zag944
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I wouldnt underestimate Calipari's ability to reload a team. Wouldnt be remotely suprised to see them contending for a 1 seed.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Agreed. In my mind, Pac 12 teams have lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to pre-season and early season rankings. So many Pac 12 teams have underachieved in recent seasons, despite some legit talent, that I want to see some quality wins from those schools before holding them out as a top 20 team. The Aztecs, on the other hand, are poised for a very strong 2012-13 campaign. Lot of excitement on the mesa, and deservingly so.

jpwils
04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Should be higher-if we get Karno we could easily be a 2 or 3 seed next year for Big Dance. Very nice depth and we could possibly have a surprise left on the recruiting horizons.

UCLA will get better as the season progresses. Howland will make Big Dance for sure and then some.

SDSU is often a sleeper and sounds like they will be a good team.

Wondering if Arizona is over-rated due to incoming class. Sean Miller is good
coach.

I also think St Mary's will be a tough out in Moraga next year for all teams.

BYU might surprise us also.

ZagaZags
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Will be good too.