PDA

View Full Version : Player to Watch: Jadon Cohee

Worthington
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
With all the talk about the recruiting going on in Europe right now, I thought I should come back in and remind everyone of the pipeline just a few miles to the north. We've been able to scoop up some really nice players from BC in Rob Sacre and Kelly Olynyk in the past, and it's looking like the next great one out of the province will be 2014 PG Jadon Cohee. Standing at a lengthy 6'4 and still growing (he's only 15), Cohee is a very fluid athlete and has the makings of a player that's ready to blow up, with more exposure. While still raw, I think Cohee is a player well worth watching. He led his team to the provincial finals and was named a first team all star as a sophmore. He'll be playing AAU ball this summer for Drive Basketball, and already matched up with Zach Lavine in a tournament this weekend (Cohee had 21 and 4 assists)

Here's some footage taken from 2 of his games at the provincial tournament:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7TY5qUwBc

And more from last years AAU circuit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSra-wi2c0

More:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6vAiPKI-Yk

Bearing in mind that he's only 15 in these videos (AAU one he's most likely still 14), the potential is there. I think he's worth keeping an eye on.
Edit to add: As a 14 year old he was invited to tryout for the U16 Canadian Cadet team. He didn't make the team, but head coach Roy Rana (Nike Hoop Summit head coach) said “He certainly showed flashes of a special talent,”. Also should note that he's young enough to reclass as a 2015

raise the zag
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the share.

His game, even at 15, lacks a certain polish for a D1 guard prospect imho. He has nice handles for his height, but he needs some serious refining and development before being taken seriously for Gonzaga. To be honest, kind of a poor man's Sarbaugh from all the tapes of seen of Chris.

It will be interesting how he performs during AAU tournaments this spring/summer...

He has potential though.

Worthington
04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the share.

His game, even at 15, lacks a certain polish for a D1 guard prospect imho. He has nice handles for his height, but he needs some serious refining and development before being taken seriously for Gonzaga. To be honest, kind of a poor man's Sarbaugh from all the tapes of seen of Chris.

It will be interesting how he performs during AAU tournaments this spring/summer...

He has potential though.

I think you might be expecting too much from the kid at this stage. The second video is him as a 14 year old. He could easily still grow to be 6'6 and the way he moves at his age is very smooth. There's no comparison between Cohee and Sarbaugh, Cohee is going to play D1 ball no question. If he adds some bounce to his game, he'll be a big time prospect. To start off the AAU season, he averaged about 20 points a game in the U17 bracket, going up against some of the best players in Washington, at the Northwest Premier Showcase. I do agree that he does need to polish his game up though, and it would be wise for him to come down and play in the states.

CanadianZagFan
04-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Given the small sample size and his age, I would say he is a player worth watching. He showed decent vision and unselfishness, ability to finish with both hands, range on his jumper (it is a little ugly), and a mid range game with push shots. I would love to see his motor on defence and how he moves with out the ball, but at 15 I would love to have him on the team I coach for 2 more years.

Unbiased
04-23-2012, 12:19 PM
He certainly has potential for his age, though he definitely needs to refine his jump shot - it comes off more like a jump set.
DI defenders will not let him shoot that shot.

He appears to be quick. I like how he is not afraid to take it to the hoop.

Baldwinzag
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Has potential, yet his shot, especially floater looks awkward and shaky. Looks like his release would get blocked playing vs players the same size or taller.

For instance, watch videos of Pangos when he was 15, even younger, vs the same or better competition and the poise, polish, and mechanics were automatic even at that age...

There is always room for growth with any prospect, yet a 6'5" guard with tight handles is worth a look at this level.

He may grow into a legitimate 3-man someday, if he continues to sprout...15/16 is still pretty young.

Saxon_zag
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the share.

He has potential though.

POOR mans saurbaugh?

Hehehehehehehehehheh

This kid looks good, has solid potential. Looks to be a great finisher around the hoop with good body control. Very young and rarely do you see some pure jump shooter with an exceptional looking shot at 14 or 15, he obviously has the talent to shoot and better form will come with more strength aka getting older.

Worthington
04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm from BC and have followed basketball here closely for several years now. I know there's always skepticism surrounding any player coming out of BC because the level of competition isn't as good as the states. However the top players coming out of the province have shown that they can compete at a high level for years now. Guards like Phil Scrubb (Carleton), Emerson Murray (Seattle U from Cal), Ty Nurse (Texas Tech) and Manroop Clair (Huntington Prep with several D1 offers) are all good examples of some of the talent coming out of the province. In my opinion Cohee will be better than all of them. Like I said before, Cohee is young enough to reclass to 2015 (he's listed as a 2015 on North Pole Hoops). Watching footage of some of the top 2015 prospects, I think Cohee's talent level is up there.

BCBaller4life
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Worthington, I like your posts on Cohee and agree with what you've written. He is standing out in BC, he was all over the media during the AAA's, they say if they'd won he would have been the first 10th grader to ever win MVP. I think he's still only 15 and is playing and exceling at the U17 AAU level for Drive. There's a new video out on him from a couple of weeks ago from the NCAA AAU Tourney in Seattle.

http://youtu.be/dbh36Kifsi0

NPH confirms he averaged 20 ppg in that tourney. He played with Manroop Clair (the kid from BC who's at Huntington Prep and just signed with Hawaii) and still managed to score and handle the point. Rumour has it that Cohee has been invited to the U17 National try-outs again. Nice to see young Canadian talent represented at Gonzaga!

Vanzagger
05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm impressed. Looks like he has some Raivio and Steven Gray in him. What's not to like?

Worthington
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Worthington, I like your posts on Cohee and agree with what you've written. He is standing out in BC, he was all over the media during the AAA's, they say if they'd won he would have been the first 10th grader to ever win MVP. I think he's still only 15 and is playing and exceling at the U17 AAU level for Drive. There's a new video out on him from a couple of weeks ago from the NCAA AAU Tourney in Seattle.

http://youtu.be/dbh36Kifsi0

NPH confirms he averaged 20 ppg in that tourney. He played with Manroop Clair (the kid from BC who's at Huntington Prep and just signed with Hawaii) and still managed to score and handle the point. Rumour has it that Cohee has been invited to the U17 National try-outs again. Nice to see young Canadian talent represented at Gonzaga!

Thanks for the input! Gonzaga definitely has a good recruiting pipeline from BC, hopefully they continue to pay attention to the top players coming out of the province. I'll be making sure to follow Jadon's play throughout the summer, now that Manroop Clair has reclassified to 2012, I think that Cohee will be called on to step up more for the U17 team. Wouldn't be surprised to see his stock rise dramatically over the summer. Already getting looks from Washington, Purdue, Portland, and Utah.

maynard g krebs
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Looks a little like Lavine as well. I don't think the low release is that big a deal if you can create space. Raivio got away with it. Jeremiah Dominguez got away with it at 5'6.

BCBaller4life
12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
I heard Jadon Cohee got an offer from the University of Portland after holding his own against Findlay Prep and then dropped 44 in a game the next night. There's been a lot of press on Cohee the past couple of weeks. Coach Simon said he was a tremendous player and he has a bright future ahead of him. He had his players dog him from one end of the court to the other the whole game and Cohee kept his composure and showed well. It looks like he's grown, anyone know how tall he is? Here is some recent footage I found. I sure hope Gonzaga is taking a serious look at this young man.

http://youtu.be/KTVpl_H6sOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCp6bVt6SfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnmJT-zQyEY

Jadon Cohee: Work towards run at 2013 title began the day after last-second loss in 2012 http://shar.es/6Kcyd via @sharethis

BobZag
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
How does he compare to Kendall Small, and could he play shooting guard, and if so, how does he compare to Alberts and other 2014-15 targets? These are the questions that need answering.

Worthington
12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Jadon is undoubtedly a very talented player, but my biggest concern is the level of basketball he is playing right now. He's unquestionably the best player in the province and therefore the best player on his teams, so he is basically just given the ball and told to go to work on offense. I'm really hoping he takes a prep school year because I think he needs to learn how to play with other talented players around him. The kid is going to play division one and there's a good chance we see him in the WCC, but I don't see him as the same level recruit as Alberts or Small. Definitely worth keeping tabs on though, I expect to see his offer list grow a lot this year.

Worthington
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
On the subject of BC players, 2015 PG Jermaine Haley looks like a high major talent. North Pole Hoops has him ranked 2nd in the class for all of Canada, which historically would put him in some very good company. He's a long point guard with elite court vision. Very smooth game, reminds me of Kentucky's Ryan Harrow a little bit. I would be surprised if the staff wasn't already aware of him.

NPH Article - http://northpolehoops.com/2012/06/17/jermaine-haley-explodes-on-the-scene-at-nph-british-columbia-showcase/

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErahnIuHdYE&list=UUL_ef-RALVRDSeQw1-T1kUQ&index=14

btzag
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the share.

He has potential though.

HA, remember Sacre as a Frosh?! Talk about unrefined and now he's sitting on the bench in Hollywood!