PDA

View Full Version : I Like Secrets

75Zag
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
My line of work requires a fair amount of secrecy. If Company A is trying to acquire Company B, we don't blog about it before papers are signed. We don't post on the Internet that the president of Company A just flew to Europe to to negotiate a deal with Company B. I know everybody has an inquiring mind and wants to know everything before it becomes public, but is advance chatter about recruiting counterproductive?

I take most of what I read on this site with a two-ton grain of salt, but when I read recently that Few was traveling to Europe for the first time ever to solicit the Big Pole, my eyes opened a bit. If I was a data-gathering robot program, that is the sort of information I would sell to my subscribers at KY or UK or Duke or Cal. I have no idea whether the Polish Kid was already on everybody else's radar or not, but revealing that level of information on the Internet seems dicey to me.

Now back to my secret lair.

Unbiased
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I have no idea whether the Polish Kid was already on everybody else's radar or not, but revealing that level of information on the Internet seems dicey to me.

If Karnowski's father had a list of "30" U.S. universities interested in his son in January 2012 - this young man was certainly no secet to many coaches.

Coach Few did good to visit him in Poland - no other US coach apparently has done that. That has to mean something to PK and family - however, this decision by PK appears to me to be more than finding a good college fit at a "NCAA" school. Its a business decision. With the monies involved in a few years, I can't say I blame him.

I noticed Olek Czyz, the Polish player who recently transferred from Duke to Nevada has tweeted PK - Czyz apparently went to prep school/or high school in Reno prior to choosing Duke

I'm sure at one time, PK has asked Czyz his impression of life as a basketball player at Duke.

RenoZag
04-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Czyz played his high school ball in Reno; just finished his final year of eligibility @ UNR.

rijman
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
My line of work requires a fair amount of secrecy. If Company A is trying to acquire Company B, we don't blog about it before papers are signed. We don't post on the Internet that the president of Company A just flew to Europe to to negotiate a deal with Company B. I know everybody has an inquiring mind and wants to know everything before it becomes public, but is advance chatter about recruiting counterproductive?

I take most of what I read on this site with a two-ton grain of salt, but when I read recently that Few was traveling to Europe for the first time ever to solicit the Big Pole, my eyes opened a bit. If I was a data-gathering robot program, that is the sort of information I would sell to my subscribers at KY or UK or Duke or Cal. I have no idea whether the Polish Kid was already on everybody else's radar or not, but revealing that level of information on the Internet seems dicey to me.

I was surprised by the level of information we had on the recruitment of PK through this forum, on line posts and tweets from multiple sources including PK himself. These matters are usually handled out of the public scrutiny where the public doesn't even know they are occurring. I was willing to follow the process because I was allowed to, which was strange, yet very intriguing. I couldn't look away. Ultimately I'll wonder how the transparency of PK's recruitment affected GU's outcome. I guess that remains to be seen.