PDA

View Full Version : Kinda wish Zags had interest

BobZag
04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
From Rumor Central (ESPN.com):

A few weeks ago, it was announced that Josiah Turner would not rejoin Arizona for the 2012-13 season. It was undecided, though, where the 6-foot-3 guard would next resurface. According to Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog.com, Turner might find his way to St. John's.

With the additions of Orlando Sanchez and Marco Bourgault, SJU has three remaining scholarships for next season. If Turner does land in the Big East, he would not be eligible until 2013-14, but there are ties to the current team. Turner played at the iS8 tournament last summer, teaming up with Sir'Dominic Pointer (and facing up against Jakarr Sampson).

It's unclear whether SJU is closely recruiting any class of 2013 guards. Coach Steve Lavin clearly saw a need for size, and the Red Storm's pursuit of Michael Chandler, Chris Obekpa, and Sanchez proves SJU will at least have some frontcourt depth next season (though Chandler and Obekpa are still undecided). Neal Nieves of Scout.com does add that Iona is also closely monitoring Turner, which gives us the impression Turner is looking for a school that plays a bit more up-and-down than Arizona. However, in Iona's case, we wonder if Turner would be able to exist in a backcourt that already has A.J. English and Tavon Sledge. Coach Tim Cluess has proven the Gaels will use unconventional, and smaller, lineups, but would the coaching staff want to bring on another guard?

cjm720
04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!! Lavine!!!

75Zag
04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I would be happy if GU could get a bigger guard with immediate starting credentials, but in my opinion doing so would require GU to cut loose one of the "holy trinity" of Stockton, Pangos and Bell. And since cutting loose any of our "holy trinity" would be about as popular as a turd in a punchbowl, I don't see that happening.

Unbiased
04-23-2012, 11:01 AM
From Rumor Central (ESPN.com):

Why - what's wrong with Dranginis?

That means there would be six guards competing for playing time - five with three or more years of eligiblity.

From all reports Dranginis is good - really good. Why would we want to create a playing time problem?

Just asking - like to here your thoughts on this

jpwils
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Hate to say it but we may need to lite a fire under PK and his Dad.

Isn't there some other 6-10 plus dude we could start to shimmie up to instead??

This other guard guy isn't gonna be better than KP, Bell or Drangs.

BobZag
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Pangos
Bell Jr.
Dranginis
Turner

GLE and Hart will be gone after Turner sits out his transfer year. Stockton will have one year left.

I don't see the problem. 4 guys rotating for 3 spots. Five would be more ideal.

jpwils
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Problem is not enough minutes to go round when experienced hands are all-WCC or close to it.

Ok if couple guys like 3-5 mins here and there- otherwise by Jan 15 you have possible mutiny or at least unhappy campers like Keita and Spangler who both got very few minutes.

Josiah Turner is not Keita- he can command major minutes somewhere.

jpwils
04-23-2012, 04:23 PM
J Turner is not really a share the 3 spot player. Drangs is-prefer for us to recruit a 6-7 or 6-8 type for this spot. Keeping Stox also happy is only fair.

But can see argument.

BobZag
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Problem is not enough minutes to go round when experienced hands are all-WCC or close to it.

Ok if couple guys like 3-5 mins here and there- otherwise by Jan 15 you have possible mutiny or at least unhappy campers like Keita and Spangler who both got very few minutes.

Josiah Turner is not Keita- he can command major minutes somewhere.

Then what do you propose for depth? If just one gets hurt, then what? Three positions = 120 minutes. 120 divided by 4 = a lot of pt per guard. Just personally, but GU needs to do better than Keita or Stockton or Hoff. I'm not promoting Josiah Turner, but there's other transfers out there, and hopefully Lockett will be for a year. *fingers crossed*

810Suited
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Wouldn't touch the kid with a ten foot pole he caused all sorts of problems at Zona. Got way too pampered from AAU ball and has serious maturity issues. I understand that he's a 18 yr old kid and will grow up but his problems seem to extend way beyond maturity.

Oregonzagnut
04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I would be happy if GU could get a bigger guard with immediate starting credentials, but in my opinion doing so would require GU to cut loose one of the "holy trinity" of Stockton, Pangos and Bell. And since cutting loose any of our "holy trinity" would be about as popular as a turd in a punchbowl, I don't see that happening.

I think having a larger option at the 2 and 3 spots does not mean we tamper with the "Trinity" as you say. But with Hart, Dranginis and Edi, it's what we do with what we have that matters to me. Hart is listed as a 6'6" guard. Drang is 6'5" and Edi 6'6". Hart is a "bigger" guard but does not necessarily have the starting credentials. IMO he is close though. Nor does he really play like a guard. But I think Hart will be a very utilitarian player for us next year and his experience and smarts could win him minutes or even a start or two if the planets aligned right and he actually looks for and makes shots.

IMO, Hart will shoot more and somewhat fill that role you are talking about. But I do not see us needing a larger guard to start. I really like starting Kelly, Dower, Harris, Bell and Pangos. Even if we face larger back courts, I think we have backcourt to challenge all comers. Even in our bench.

Of course I am only looking towards next year. So we do need to find a kid that can handle some of the huge backcourts we see from the power conferences.

BobZag
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't touch the kid with a ten foot pole he caused all sorts of problems at Zona. Got way too pampered from AAU ball and has serious maturity issues. I understand that he's a 18 yr old kid and will grow up but his problems seem to extend way beyond maturity.

Understood, but why are soooo many kids NOT wanted to be touched with ten foot poles by so many Zag fans?

Oregonzagnut
04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Understood, but why are soooo many kids NOT wanted to be touched with ten foot poles by so many Zag fans?

I thought we wanted 7 ft Poles? Wouldn't a 10 ft Pole be even better?

sittingon50
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
:clap:

cggonzaga
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM

:lmao: Very elitist around here.

jpwils
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Bob, I respect your opinion but must here take exception...

To answer Your question- I would propose scouring the Pacific NW and Canada for a 6-7 type of dude with hops and a jumpshot.

Who is that?? Not J Turner, although he could probably bandaid if Bell got hurt. But that is all- he is in no way a 3.

Drangs might be part answer but is small for a 3 also. Good shooter- I hope.

J turner could not replace Pangos or even really Drangs- does he have ability to guard 6-7 inch 3's????? He is not even on a level with GLE to guard 3's.

What do you propose -Zone with unlimited small-guy fouls??

Stox is only effective against smaller less physical points. Great kid but we need him to replace KP for short breaks only- not this infernal 3 guard offense thing which never really works.

Are we gonna get serious about being a more physical team against the Michigan States of the world??

If so we need more of an even larger HART( defense) with a consistent 10-15 points a nite or a bigger ( slightly) GLE coming down the lane and guarding these slasher types.

No more "gimmick" offenses with 3 little guys- that won't even beat SMC or BYU anymore.

So no specific recommendation, but check transfers and jucos- heck with McLaughlin - get Lockett for this for a season but know he's short, too for a 3.

Otherwise get somebody following season!! I vote for 6-7/6-8 with hops small forward with a shot! Must be one somewhere internationally!

Reborn
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Personally I never cared for Turner myself. And he won't take a backseat to Bell or Pangos. Building a team is done by building roles, and you need unselfish players to do this. I think Turner wants to be a star and will go some place he has a better chance of achieving that than GU. He would not be a star for the Zags.

The Zags are looking for a STAR to rise at the #3 or small forward position. That is where my focus is right now for the team. Personally, I'm really anxious to see Dranginis play. I only had a very small taste of his game early last season, but let me tell you, what I saw I have not forgotten and that is saying something. Lockett is the young man I want. If not him someone like him. Someone who has what it takes to be a star.

I also agree that Dranginis' size could be a problem at the 3. But he is taller than Pangos who played it last year when Few used the 3 guard offense. I also agree that the 3 guard offense was a disaster last year, and fortunately Few didn't run it as much in the NCAA tournament.

75Zag
04-24-2012, 08:35 AM
. . .the 3 guard offense was a disaster last year . . .

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen.

GU has plenty of players at the 1 and 2 spots. We could probably use a taller 2, but as I said in my first post above, breaking up the Bell, Pangos & Stockton Holy Trinity at guard in order to bring in a taller transfer to play the 2 position is not likely.

GU needs a 6'5" or better small forward with blazing speed, hands and hops. I might be willing to vary the height requirement by an inch, but playing a 3 who is 6' 2" or 6' 3" is not the solution to GU's problem handling BCS quality opponents. When the other team's guards are taller than both of our guards and our small forward, it is going to be a long night.

GU has (on paper anyway) some good potential talent returning at the 4 / 5. Another 6'11" center with great hops, great hands and an in-your-face killer attitude is always welcome, but I think we can live without another big man if only we can get the perfect small forward. Here's hoping it happens.