PDA

View Full Version : 6'5" Tyler Haws update

BobZag
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/660036.html

Haws has high interest in BYU, Gonzaga, Stanford, UCLA and Utah. Pepperdine and San Diego are medium interest.

He wants to make a decision about this time next summer.

azzagfan
07-20-2007, 04:06 PM
If we want this kid, we need to hope BYU has a bad year. I think if they have the same type of year they had last year and make the NCAAs, Haws goes there. Family history (Dad, Marty played there) and the fact that BYU is used to a kid who wants to take 2 years off after his freshman year. I'm not sure how Coach Few and staff feel about that possibility.

BobZag
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Being Mormon isn't a problem to Coach Few, not at all. But in the past it has been extremely difficult to get an LDS recruit out of the state of Utah. The peer pressure is immense.

That said, he's good enough to try.

MickMick
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Being Mormon isn't a problem to Coach Few, not at all. But in the past it has been extremely difficult to get an LDS recruit out of the state of Utah. The peer pressure is immense.

That said, he's good enough to try.

Heck..it's tough enough to get a devout Mormon to stay in our own state, let alone leave Utah.

My 80 year old dad was born in Logan, Utah (born in the same house that Merlin Olsen was raised in, Grandpa sold the place to the Olsens). His mother was born in Smithfield, Utah. Believe me...I know all about the immense peer pressure. This kid is going to be a tough "get".

GonzagaLove
07-20-2007, 08:27 PM
I say we let this one go.

azzagfan
07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Did a glance at the numbers, GU had 5 LDS students last year, which I'm guessing dropped to 4 since Burgess transferred. That may not be a good selling point, but the city of Spokane lists just under 10 percent of the population as being LDS, that is a better selling point for Haws.