PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta coach Woodson on Raivio

Zagpower
07-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Atlanta coach Mike Woodson had some complimentary things to say about DRAV during this morning's Summer League game. After making the obligatory
"does he even have a driver's license?" crack, the announcer asked Woodson about his opinion of the former Gonzaga player. Woodson said that Derek still needs to add some muscle but that he is very smart, is a great shot maker, and can play in the NBA.

P.S. Derek seems to already added quite a bit of bulk to his shoulders and arms. he is noticeable bigger than last year.

Zag79
07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
DR has a lot of street to his game that in will help him in the nba more than in college. by that i mean his handles, passing, etc are all tailored more for the open, free, showy game of the nba than here at GU. again i will say if green from FLA can make a living in the league DR could too.

soonerterp
07-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I watched the Hawks/San Antonio game on NBATV and he did look a little bigger. Now he looks like he's 15 instead of 12! (I KID! I KID! DON'T SHOOT ME!)

That was his high-point game of the RMR (15 minutes, 10 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds) and as the game wore on (like when he drained the only made 3s of the game) apparently he developed a cheering section. When he went out of the game for good with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter he got a nice ovation from the crowd (and some big love from his RMR teammates). And oh yeah, in another omen of the Apocalypse, the usually stone-faced DRav actually cracked a smile -- with teeth at a point in the game.

Hasn't really filled up the stat sheet or gotten as many minutes since. The Hawks drafted Acie Law (who started slowly but is way good) to be their PG of the future. Nice words from Woodson ... unless another team noticed him at the RMR I think Raivio's going overseas, and no doubt he'd actually get off the bench overseas because even if Atlanta is thinnish at PG, D-Rav would hardly see minutes if he made the team. I don't know who ATL's NBADL affiliate is, but he *could* go there ... although I honestly think NBADL ball is beneath Euroball for some reason.

cggonzaga
07-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Sorry 79 but I don't see it. He will make a very comfortable living playing somewhere though.

lothar98zag
07-20-2007, 12:21 PM
DR has a lot of street to his game that in will help him in the nba more than in college. by that i mean his handles, passing, etc are all tailored more for the open, free, showy game of the nba than here at GU. again i will say if green from FLA can make a living in the league DR could too.
FLA's Green hasn't done anything in the NBA other than getting drafted in the 2nd round. He may not even make a roster this season - unless he earns a spot.

GorgeZag
07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
FLA's Green hasn't done anything in the NBA other than getting drafted in the 2nd round. He may not even make a roster this season - unless he earns a spot.

I think the Blazers have given Green a one year deal.

lothar98zag
07-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I think the Blazers have given Green a one year deal.
a guaranteed contract?

MickMick
07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I envision DRav at best, having a career that resembles Frahm. His shooting skill and quick release will consistently get him invited to NBA camps. Finding a place to stick may be a tougher prospect, but I expect he will stick somewhere at some point in time. Sometimes a guy can just blossom like Nash or Stockton did. An extremely slim shot for Ravio to develop like that though. Will probably always look over his shoulder until the invites eventually dry up.

soonerterp
07-20-2007, 06:20 PM
a guaranteed contract?

Yes reportedly its a guaranteed contract.

I think they signed him to a guaranteed contract despite his being in the second round because at the time it all went down they weren't sure they were going to get Steve Blake back (Denver, Portland, Miami, and possibly Cleveland were all pursuing him). Well, they got him back ... so they have Blake, Jack, Rodriguez, Green. That Finnish kid, Kopponen, will likely play in Europe although the Blazers will have his rights.

That creates a lot of competition in training camp for the PG spot, which can be a good thing because everybody is pushing each other. They can always send Green or someone down to NBADL for a bit too. Also, Jarrett Jack can slide over and play the 2 -- I wouldn't rule out a backcourt of Blake/Jack/Roy next season, actually.

ZagMania
07-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Blurb with Raivio in an article about RMR summer league:
http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/64830

Former Gonzaga guard Derek Raivio is a member of the Atlanta Hawks summer league squad. Three of his teammates - Al Horford and Acie Law IV, this year's third and 11th NBA Draft picks, respectively, and Shelden Williams, last year's No. 5 overall draft pick - were NBA lottery picks, earning them a spot on the team's roster, as well as millions of dollars in guaranteed money.

Raivio, on the other hand, is just trying to prove he belongs on the team.

"I'm just here to bust my butt and show I can run a team," Raivio said.

Although some players look to impress coaches by trying to score a lot of points, that strategy may backfire, Raivio said.

"When the shots are falling, it's all good," Raivio said, "but otherwise you look selfish."