PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to GU, Przemek!

BobZag
04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Enjoy your visit and welcome to the family!

:cheers:

DADoZAG
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM

+1

And the next chapter begins...

Go ZAGS!

stevet75
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
May you enjoy your visit, and stay for 4 years! Welcome

MBAGael
04-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Congratulations to the Zags (and the WCC)!

johno
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Hope he gets to see Spokane Falls, it's awesome this time of year.

Reborn
04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I hope you enjoy your visit to Gonzaga U and Spokane, WA. I hope you sign with the Zags. You could be a big piece of the puzzle that gets Gonzaga into it's first final 4, thus becoming a legend. My grandmother was from Poland, so I'm really looking forward to seeing a purebred in a Zag uniform.

Kiddwell
04-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Great university, great group of basketballers! Hope you enjoy your second trip to the Pacific Northwest!

:]

Ebay
04-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Any campus sightings to report?

Anyone have any idea what his itinerary for the day will look like?

CDC84
04-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Kind of hard not to spot a 7 foot blonde kid on campus, huh?

gamagin
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Kind of hard not to spot a 7 foot blonde kid on campus, huh?

you CAN see the tree for the forest !

dnj116
04-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Any campus sightings to report?

Anyone have any idea what his itinerary for the day will look like?

I wish I somehow had the opportunity to follow and hang out for one of these recruiting visits. . . It'll never happen, but if I had a "make-a-wish" request, I think that would have to be up there on my list.

From what I understand, a recruit essentially "shadows" and hangs out with a player. Interesting to speculate as to who he'll be shadowing. I would presume it would be a big -- either Sacre or Harris (being from Europe). But I could also see Pangos showing him around as they already know each other.

I presume he'll also get to scrimmage with the team. Man, I wish I could watch that as well. Whatever the case may be, I am sure the proverbial red carpet has been laid out.

Welcome to GU, Karnowski! Enjoy the visit, and hope we learn of a commitment soon!!

willandi
04-20-2012, 10:09 AM
So, We can assume that the visit with "Special K" has/is gone/going well?

So excited!

Nevada Don
04-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Congratulations Zags on your signing of Karnowski. I hope he has a great career with you with the possible exception of when he plays that team from Moraga.

ZagNative
04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Congratulations Zags on your signing of Karnowski. I hope he has a great career with you with the possible exception of when he plays that team from Moraga.There has been no announcement that he's signed, has there? Just a visit so far.

Zag365
04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
So, We can assume that the visit with "Special K" has/is gone/going well?

So excited!

oooh, "Special K" -- like it

Kiddwell
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
There has been no announcement that he's signed, has there? Just a visit so far.

I think you're right. BZ would/should know.

rijman
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for starting a new PK thread BZ. The other one is rotten and it needs to go in the trash.

Mantua
04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
From the Slipper on twitter:

"...this guy makes Sacre look like a twig."

ZAGGED OUT
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
That was "Nevada Don's" first post, I wouldn't hold it with much weight...just sayin

titopoet
04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for starting a new PK thread BZ. The other one is rotten and it needs to go in the trash.

That offends me. What do you have against deceased French actors from the movie The Princess Bride?

Okay, offend is too harsh a word, a word that should be reserved for Huskies fans who say GU is ducking UW. No, strike that, it will only lead to other posters flaming* this thread. I was mildly irked by your comment. (Irked? Was that the sitcom character played by Jaleel White?) Okay, I really was quite passionately indifferent to your comment. But, I digress.

Now, back to the polish center, I am so happy that he is here. And I need to remind the always gracious Bob that it was I that first mention the Post up Pole on the GU boards. (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=29227&highlight=Karnowski) To which the said graceful Bob went all Bobby Knight on me. Not the chair throwing Bobby Knight but the Ivan Renko signing Bobby Knight.

Yes, I hold no grudges. And no I plan no dance of redemption in the key of haha. For that would be too immature for who I trying to be.

*I might have offended some by using "flaming," if they are, I think I need help. Maybe season tickets will cure me. The lower the seats, the more curative the powers.

Zag 77
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Weather supposed to be in the 70's. Just like Paris.

There is also a GU vs. Alumni rugby game, which my son says is just an excuse for the alums to show they can still drink beer.

Don't forget to take him to see the excellent Foley Library which will be jammed with hard-working students getting ready for finals.

ZAGGED OUT
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
That offends me. What do you have against deceased French actors from the movie The Princess Bride?

Okay, offend is too harsh a word, a word that should be reserved for Huskies fans who say GU is ducking UW. No, strike that, it will only lead to other posters flaming* this thread. I was mildly irked by your comment. (Irked? Was that the sitcom character played by Jaleel White?) Okay, I really was quite passionately indifferent to your comment. But, I digress.

Now, back to the polish center, I am so happy that he is here. And I need to remind the always gracious Bob that it was I that first mention the Post up Pole on the GU boards. (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=29227&highlight=Karnowski) To which the said graceful Bob went all Bobby Knight on me. Not the chair throwing Bobby Knight but the Ivan Renko signing Bobby Knight.

Yes, I hold no grudges. And no I plan no dance of redemption in the key of haha. For that would be too immature for who I trying to be.

*I might have offended some by using "flaming," if they are, I think I need help. Maybe season tickets will cure me. The lower the seats, the more curative the powers.

Who cares if you were first to say his name? Are we 5 years old here?

zagfan07
04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
:fingergun:

Can we please try to keep a thread on-topic?

rijman
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I wish I somehow had the opportunity to follow and hang out for one of these recruiting visits. . . It'll never happen, but if I had a "make-a-wish" request, I think that would have to be up there on my list.

From what I understand, a recruit essentially "shadows" and hangs out with a player. Interesting to speculate as to who he'll be shadowing. I would presume it would be a big -- either Sacre or Harris (being from Europe). But I could also see Pangos showing him around as they already know each other.

I presume he'll also get to scrimmage with the team. Man, I wish I could watch that as well. Whatever the case may be, I am sure the proverbial red carpet has been laid out.

I was wondering if students and faculty were looking out for him. I would be cool to see him, but if too many people were hanging out watching for him and following him that could turn creepy. I hope he has a great visit and comes away satisfied that Gonzaga will be a great fit for him to continue his basketball career.

hooter73
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I just rewatched his highlight vid again, this guy will be a powerhouse in the WCC and could really hurt some teams in the post season with continued development.

excited.

titopoet
04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
The kid's if very good already, especially his passing and court sense. With the returning players, the interior passing and play will be a real asset.

I am as excited as a 5 year old with a chocolate bunny smeared all over his face.

ZAGGED OUT
04-20-2012, 01:33 PM
The kid's if very good already, especially his passing and court sense. With the returning players, the interior passing and play will be a real asset.

I am as excited as a 5 year old with a chocolate bunny smeared all over his face.

+1 for a solid answer lol

Oregonzagnut
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I am enjoying a polish sausage right now in honor of this fine moment in Zag history! Its got some relish, onions and mustard with a little sharp cheddar cheese on top. Seriously good hot dog.

The Zags look to not miss a step in this off season. And what is even better is, "Whats new? This is the way it is every year." Great job Coach Few, once again! I hope you keep this up at GU for decades more!

duper
04-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Is he also visiting WSU on this trip?

titopoet
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Is he also visiting WSU on this trip?

I trust Bob. I think he doesn't visit WSU until Nov or Dec, wearing a GU road uniform.

Zagluv95
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
This being my first reply or post on this site I would like to say that I have followed this sight for years and have always enjoyed the discussions. I'm thrilled that he is here and from a close source of mine I do know that Pangos did pick him up today. Was told he made Pangos look tiny!! Real excited!!

MickMick
04-20-2012, 03:11 PM
A big welcome to our newest Zag!

NotoriousZ
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
This being my first reply or post on this site I would like to say that I have followed this sight for years and have always enjoyed the discussions. I'm thrilled that he is here and from a close source of mine I do know that Pangos did pick him up today. Was told he made Pangos look tiny!! Real excited!!

Welcome and thanks for the scoop. Pangos with the assist!

ZagZombie
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
summer scrimmages cannot come soon enough!

gamagin
04-20-2012, 03:24 PM

way to step in and lead off !

ZagNative
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Fresh from Twitter:
Przemek Karnowski ‏ @PKarnowski

Spendin' time with my homie @KPangos on Zags campus after my first lunch in Taco Bell #ncaa

VinnyZag
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Fresh from Twitter:

Seems like we could get him a better lunch.

rijman
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Fresh from Twitter:
Taco Bell? Is that the best we can do? Where's dinner, potluck at the Chewela Elks Lodge? (I've been to a potluck at a Chewela lodge and it wasn't half bad)

ID ZAGFAN
04-20-2012, 04:02 PM
This link to a pic of KP and PK:

https://twitter.com/#!/PKarnowski/status/193487928205385728/photo/1

ZaGranny

Oregonzagnut
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Welcome Zagluv95 It is good to see that the signing of Karnowski has brought you out of the woodwork! I hope you will share your valuable opinions and experiences with the entire Zag community here. It is the wide range of discussion and opinion that I enjoy and will continue to stay, to the consternation of some.:roll: since I often am usually on one end or the other of, "the wide range".

Welcome to the best college basketball forum, representing the best college basketball team, headed by the best college basketball coach in the entirety of the USA. IMBA. (In My Biased Opinion)

Thomas_Sutpen
04-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Przemek Karnowski ‏ @PKarnowski

Spendin' time with my homie @KPangos on Zags campus after my first lunch in Taco Bell #ncaa

Hope he doesn't hear the story about the dead guy in Taco Bell's cooler.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jan/04/man-dies-walk-cooler-spokane-taco-bell/

Here's to a good visit nonetheless!

Angelo Roncalli
04-20-2012, 04:15 PM

ZaGranny

https://p.twimg.com/Aq9oPt0CIAIS8nb.jpg

In DeSmet. Nice. The full campus experience.

Oregonzagnut
04-20-2012, 04:17 PM

ZaGranny

Karno's expression is how you look 4 hours after eating Taco Bell. Pangos on the right is how you look while you are eating Taco Bell.

Personally after long trips abroad, hitting fast food joints is the first place I go. No where else in the world does the fast food taste the same or as good as it does in the USA. So I personally would not be surprised if Karno's first choice would be Taco Bell or some such junk food!

BobZag
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
One nice thing about Taco Bell (and the McRib at Mickey D), it doesn't stay in you very long. :) I wonder if he ordered that new 12-pack of tacos.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Don't forget to take him to see the excellent Foley Library which will be jammed with hard-working students getting ready for finals.

On 4/20? Probably not as much as there should be :roll:

TheGonzagaFactor
04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Karno's expression is how you look 4 hours after eating Taco Bell. Pangos on the right is how you look while you are eating Taco Bell.

amazing. just amazing.

Oregonzagnut
04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
One nice thing about Taco Bell (and the McRib at Mickey D), it doesn't stay in you very long. :) I wonder if he ordered that new 12-pack of tacos.

I think between Karno and Pangos they could easily go through 2 orders!

I remember taco night at the COG and the contests we would have to see who could eat the most. 24 tacos is very doable by a kid the size of Karno. I personally can do 12.

But back on topic.... I am stoked that after losing Sacre and feeling like replacing a true center is too tough a task, Mark Few hits a home run!

WOW!!!

ZagFanInNC
04-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Fresh from Twitter:

If he got the Dorito taco's he'll sign tonight. . . hopefully he didn't mean that they went to Taco Time :vomit-smiley-007:

BobZag
04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
If he got the Dorito taco's he'll sign tonight. . . hopefully he didn't mean that they went to Taco Time :vomit-smiley-007:

Taco Time is awful. Taco Bell is much better.

Beer_Engineer
04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I applaud with cautious optimism and hopeful thoughts.

awberke
04-20-2012, 06:14 PM
That picture is so great, i love KP.

NotoriousZ
04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
https://p.twimg.com/Aq9oPt0CIAIS8nb.jpg

Getting a good feeling here.

GUZag08
04-20-2012, 06:51 PM

hey now. lets take it easy

Gonzdb8
04-20-2012, 06:53 PM

two thoughts...

1. landing PK could actually turn even me into an optimist next season.

2. sorry BZ, but taco time crushes taco bell and its not even close.

BobZag
04-20-2012, 06:59 PM
2. sorry BZ, but taco time crushes taco bell and its not even close.

Well, I got sick on a Taco Burger from Taco Time. Maybe I should give them another chance. I can start with the Mexi-Fries, which look like tater tots. :)

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
The only thing at Taco Time that's worth getting is the crispy rolled tacos.

Go Zags!

ZagFanInNC
04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I would go as far as to say that Taco Time's ground beef is inedible . . . not bad or gross, inedible.

Mantua
04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Mexi-fries are really good ESP with hot sauce. I wouldn't trust the beef from either. I hope he doesn't get food poisoning.

We need this guy!

ID ZAGFAN
04-20-2012, 07:08 PM
But if he wants authentic Mexican food--take him to Tacos Tumbras--in the Valley or near downtown (W 3rd, I think). They have had a truck on N. Division, but don't know if it's out there yet this year.

Not fast food, but really good, and cheap! The trucks are even faster and cheaper.

Their chicken tacos remind me of the ones I used to buy on the trail when climbing a mountain (really a medium sized hill) near Cuernavaca, Mexico, also the ones made by the woman I stayed with when I was there.

ZaGranny

ASUsunZag
04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Taco Time Crisp Meat Burrito > Taco Bell

ZagFanInNC
04-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Taco Time Crisp Meat Burrito > Taco Bell

You accidentally messed up, the sharks mouth is supposed to open to the better item. <

Ekrub
04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
I go to taco johns for the mexi tots and taco time for the crisp meat burrito

But there is something about taco bells that I love

2 cheesy gordita crunches, caramel apple empanada and a lemonade. Powerful

I hope they paid for their tacos, and didn't run off

NotoriousZ
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, I got sick on a Taco Burger from Taco Time. Maybe I should give them another chance. I can start with the Mexi-Fries, which look like tater tots. :)

Taco Bell: everything on the menu has the same ingredients*, just in different shell or casing.

Taco Time: agree with others in that the crisp meat burritos are the best option. The Mexi-Fries are delicious, although they are neither fries nor Mexican. What's the deal?

*may or may not consist of food.

rijman
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
A 3rd PK thread has been derailed! The last 2 got locked and this one appears to be getting close.

810Suited
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Both are disgusting, I wouldn't feed my dog the "meat" either place serves

This thread made me miss the west tho haven't thought of taco time since hs

Oregonzagnut
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
amazing. just amazing.

Relax. Lighten up. Have a Taco! ....or 12

titopoet
04-20-2012, 07:32 PM
But if he wants authentic Mexican food--take him to Tacos Tumbras--in the Valley or near downtown (W 3rd, I think). They have had a truck on N. Division, but don't know if it's out there yet this year.

Not fast food, but really good, and cheap! The trucks are even faster and cheaper.

Their chicken tacos remind me of the ones I used to buy on the trail when climbing a mountain (really a medium sized hill) near Cuernavaca, Mexico, also the ones made by the woman I stayed with when I was there.

ZaGranny

+1000 Haven't had a bad meal there.

CDC84
04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
If you ever get a chance to go there, Del Taco is much better than Taco Bell or any of its spin offs. It's still cheap Mexican fast food, but it tastes good and they use quality ingredients. No lard in the beans and the ground beef tastes like real ground beef that isn't laced with fillers. They also also have first rate hot sauce packets: 1) Plain Hot Sauce 2) Del Scorcho Hot Sauce 3) Inferno Hot Sauce. They used to have the packets out by the napkins and tray tables but were forced to keep the packets behind the counter once they discovered people like me were grabbing more than our fair share of them before exiting the restaurant.

I know there's a Del Taco in Coeur D Alene. Long way to go for Mexican fast food. Used to be one on North Division.

asoc
04-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Taco Time is a little more pricey but better quality food than Taco Bell. Fond memories from Taco Time too. The church I went to growing up(Lutheran) was next to the Taco Time by North Town. The Church outgrew that location and moved, and that location turned into a real estate business I think, then a spa... weird... Used to go to that taco time as a little kid and get a soft pinto burrito and a mexi fry and then my drink was a "suicide" take all the pops and mix them together...

But I do like to pig out on Taco Bell too. I like the beefy crunch burritos quite a bit... I really have no desire to try the new Dorito Taco... Just looks... unappealing.

Kiddwell
04-20-2012, 10:00 PM
A 3rd PK thread has been derailed! The last 2 got locked and this one appears to be getting close.

Agree. Someone's put a hex and/or whammy on the GUB. (Is there an exorcist in the house?) Welcome, Big K! Kiddwell's looking forward to your first dish, first slam dunk, and first blocked shot!

Ekrub
04-20-2012, 11:02 PM
If you really want good Mexican I would reccomend De Leon's deli on Francis. steak burrito is $6 but worth every penny. You could split the steak and make three burritos with it

GoGU
04-20-2012, 11:23 PM
An on-topic post:

Saw big Karn on campus w/ Pangos. I'm 5'8" and I don't think I would come up to his ribs. The man is HUGE.

If he is a zag, I will be happy.

sullyzag66
04-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . .

Tweet, tweet:

It was great to eat the dinner with @KPangos and Zags staff. Friday night hmm..? (https://twitter.com/#!/PKarnowski)

ZagaZags
04-21-2012, 02:01 AM
If i had a sports bar in Spokane, i would name the Polish Dog the Karnowski. It could be big.

EuroZag2010
04-21-2012, 04:38 AM
I hope we sign this kid before he goes back home

Przemek Karnowski, who is currently on Gonzaga campus, closer to final decision. Has cut Washington State and Nebraska.

by rafjuc at 4/21/12 4:45 AM

(Source: http://twitter.com/rafjuc/status/193666728151093248)

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-21-2012, 04:40 AM
On the totally random topic of cheap Mexican food in Spokane, does Azteca still do Taco Tuesday nights followed by large segments of the student body missing Wednesday morning classes with hangovers?

Just asking. I haven't been back to Spokane in ten years.

gozagswoohoo
04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Top quiz everyone

If someone gave you the following choice:

Choice A---Sign Karno immediately, he ends up being the greatest freshman we have EVER had, and smashes all sorts of records. He stays all 4 years, and leads us to an Elite 8, 2 Final Fours, and a National Championship.

Choice 2---He makes a surprise sign and goes to St Mary's. They own us and the conference for the next 4 years. Gonzaga wins a total of 17 games over the next 4 years combined. All of the players on our team transfer, and we have to drop our men's basketball program because we don't have enough people on the team.

I would go with the first one. Every single time.

Zagcity
04-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Top quiz everyone

I would go with the first one. Every single time.

I would concur :cheers:

EuroZag2010
04-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Lol woohoo are you serious? Haha

rijman
04-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Karnowski calls his GU visit his longest trip. From his tweets he says he had a 3 hour train ride to start his trip which included 14 hours in the air on 3 different flights plus layovers. No wonder he didn't plan a bunch of recruiting trips to the U.S., he loses 2 days in travel time round trip with every visit.

tobizag
04-21-2012, 08:19 AM
duke is now in on the big pole.

northsidezagfan
04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
duke is now in on the big pole.

We cannot make this official fast enough.

23dpg
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/04/21/duke-recruiting-przemek-karnowski-7-footer-from-poland/

**UPDATE — Karnowski will visit Marquette after leaving his Gonzaga visit this weekend. He is being heavily recruited by Kansas, as well as a number of PAC-10 schools. Duke just recently made initial contact and will continue to pursue the big man. A quick decision to Gonzaga is rumored, but not true, according to sources.

gamagin
04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
it keeps getting curiouser and curiouser.

Baldwinzag
04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Kansas, Duke, Marquette, Cinnci, Michigan, Cal, are all hard after him now. Kansas & Duke may be coming the strongest after losing players early to the NBA. Funny thing is, Gonzaga have more frontcourt depth than any school listed. About to become rather interesting...remember my analogy about 18 yr old kids falling for the hot new girl in town over the really cute lifelong best friend/neighbor...hmmm...

sullyzag66
04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Kansas, Duke, Marquette, Cinnci, Michigan, Cal, are all hard after him now. Kansas & Duke may be coming the strongest after losing players early to the NBA. Funny thing is, Gonzaga have more frontcourt depth than any school listed. About to become rather interesting...remember my analogy about 18 yr old kids falling for the hot new girl in town over the really cute lifelong best friend/neighbor...hmmm...
Lock this thread now! I can't take anymore.

john montana
04-21-2012, 09:13 AM
That is trouble.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2012, 09:15 AM
That is trouble.

indeed, trouble in river city. i dont get it. he has just been discovered by all these BCS giants? dook?? kansas??? will he play there or just be fodder off the bench. makes no sense to me, this sudden swoon. someone, pref BZ, please explain.

northsidezagfan
04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Hope this doesn't turn out similar to Wiltjer, so close to coming here (allegedly) then scooped up by the big boys.

NEC26
04-21-2012, 09:23 AM
What I don't understand is Marquette. Supposedly they are filled up with scholarships yet they are recruiting Lockette and Karnowski now too? What am I missing here?

john montana
04-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Duke migh think they are going to miss on both amile Jefferson and tony Parker. Would you wanto go to war with josh Hairston as your powerforward in the acc?they still have mason Plumlee and Marshall (who knows what he will do) off a redshirt, but pretty thin up front. Kellyisnt really a banger on the inside.

northsidezagfan
04-21-2012, 09:25 AM
What I don't understand is Marquette. Supposedly they are filled up with scholarships yet they are recruiting Lockette and Karnowski now too? What am I missing here?

They "let" a recruit out of his commitment, so they have an open one.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquette-university-basketball-recruit-wont-be-coming-hh53k67-148350155.html

NEC26
04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
They "let" a recruit out of his commitment, so they have an open one.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquette-university-basketball-recruit-wont-be-coming-hh53k67-148350155.html

Yes, but what happens if Lockette commits? Do they dump another player if Karnowski goes there? Buzz Williams seems like a pretty cut throat coach to me. Plus I don't get the fit either. Marquette has always had very athletic forward type bigs(6-8 types). Doesn't fit the Karnowski mold at all. The whole Marquette thing just does not make sense to me at all.

sullyzag66
04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone want to talk about tacos?

EuroZag2010
04-21-2012, 09:36 AM
When are we supposed to know for sure? When is the deadline? May 15?

Worthington
04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Where's BZ with one of his 'done' comments now?

EuroZag2010
04-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Where's BZ with one of his 'done' comments now?

Lol!

ZagNative
04-21-2012, 09:55 AM
This is going to be the death of me! Now Duke is reported to be interested (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/04/21/duke-recruiting-przemek-karnowski-7-footer-from-poland/) ....:confused:

**UPDATE — Karnowski will visit Marquette after leaving his Gonzaga visit this weekend. He is being heavily recruited by Kansas, as well as a number of PAC-10 schools. Duke just recently made initial contact and will continue to pursue the big man. A quick decision to Gonzaga is rumored, but not true, according to sources.

U Zig, I Zag
04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Fact is, if an 'elite' school can convince him that he is a 1 and done type kid - 'your are ready, man!' then he will jump to any of the bigger named schools. Doesn't matter which one.

If he came this far then it is important that Few and Co to engage him in the same matter. Don't lie to the kid, not even half-truths. But if the Zags want this kid they really, really, really have to let him know it.

I hope he signs... but my gut tells me we lose him.

tlark420
04-21-2012, 10:12 AM
meltdown city

the tacos must have been a let down

Baldwinzag
04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Per my post last week, reports of Coach Few flying to Warsaw himself to visit/scout a 7' Polish prospect caused quite the stir all across college hoops. Made headlines everywhere. GU may have yet to reach a Final 4, but if the Head Coach at Gonzaga is flying overseas to visit a kid, 'he must be good'. If they(we) discovered a Ronny Turiaf, Greveis Vasquez, JP Batista, Elias Harris, the 1st Round kid who went to the Spurs, et al, then let's ALL take a looksee. I honestly dont believe the same response would have occured if just Lloyd would have went -- every sports writer from here to Poland were all over the fact Mark Few was visiting this mysterious "7 footer". Just look as far as Twitter or ESPN Rumours to see how this made news. It's late in the game for 2012 so every kid who is tall or has some skill is getting a serious look. Duke seems sincere & highly interested in adding frontcourt help. Recruiting is ALWAYS fluid. No guarantee until a teenager signs the dotted line.

CDC84
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Two considerations:

1) The Gonzaga staff (namely, Tommy) have a relationship with this kid going back years, whereas everybody else is coming in as a bunch of newbies.

2) The draw of factory schools (or any BCS program) is significantly less for overseas players than for American prospects due to their lack of experience with AAU basketball. They have far less pressure to attend specific schools.

cggonzaga
04-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I hope he signs... but my gut tells me we lose him.

I'm choosing to continue to trust BZ on this one. I think Pangos is a big factor in all of this. I also think the kid is just being smart and making sure that no other place is better for him than Gonzaga.

CDC84
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
BTW - the fact that Pangos seems to be so involved in the recruting process with Karno speaks volumes about Kevin and what the staff thinks about him.

Of course if I were the shooter than Kevin is and were aware of this big man's passing skills, I'd might spend some extra time with him as well :)

Oregonzagnut
04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Ouch. Talk about counting my chickens before they hatch. My brain told me it was all over but the pen to paper.

A kid comes to Gonzaga and now Duke wants to talk to him? This bites big Tacos.

GoGU
04-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Lloyd and co. have put in a year of legwork on this guy: convincing him not to go pro in Europe, helping him with his eligibility, flying him out here, etc.

All of a sudden, Duke, Kansas, and Marquette realize overnight what they're missing out on.

It would seem this transpired in the last 24-72 hours. It will upset me if we spend a year on this kid, and he goes to duke when they probably didn't even know who he was a week ago.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Lloyd and co. have put in a year of legwork on this guy: convincing him not to go pro in Europe, helping him with his eligibility, flying him out here, etc.

All of a sudden, Duke, Kansas, and Marquette realize overnight what they're missing out on.

It would seem this transpired in the last 24-72 hours. It will upset me if we spend a year on this kid, and he goes to duke when they probably didn't even know who he was a week ago.

amen. all's fair in love, war and college bb, but geez this wd be biggest disappointment in zags history. cant imagine how few and the staff feel right now w coaches k and self and the flim-flammer from marquette lurking. among other accouterments coach k will have a major ethnic leg up w the young man. doesnt seem possible that the galacticos of bcs coaches they knew nothing of the kid til 24 hrs ago when pangos was sharing fast food w him. something's dissonant here.

DCZag
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I rarely chime in about the hand wringing/hysteria on the board associated with recruiting...I'd like to get PK - the interest from the other programs indicates that the kid has some serious potential...relationships matter to kids and their parents(he played with Pangos and Tommy has been with him for a couple of years). We have a relationship, let's see how it pans out....deep breath everyone.

Baldwinzag
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
It's all Cameron Dollar's doing I tell ya! ;)

Using us as legwork...just like Maryland w/Vasquez.

GoZags
04-21-2012, 12:20 PM
My sources continue to say "Not to worry" so I won't.

JAGzag
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM

I'll continue to not worry when this kid cancels his other recruiting trips! If he leaves Spokane there's a good chance he's not coming back! No one give him a ride to the airport (I'm looking at you, Pangos)!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
all's fair in love, war and college bb, but geez this wd be biggest disappointment in zags history.

Maybe it's just me, but your description seems a touch heavy handed.

jazzdelmar
04-21-2012, 12:36 PM

talking about recruiting wise.....ok, maybe wiltjer but we were never this close....jordan farmar maybe..hey its cloudy here today, u know that, and the padres are godawful and dont even appear on my tv set.......peace, out

rijman
04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
...remember my analogy about 18 yr old kids falling for the hot new girl in town over the really cute lifelong best friend/neighbor...hmmm...
I do remember and I have another girl analogy, it's like bringing the hottest girl to the dance and having a bunch of guys hit on her.

gamagin
04-21-2012, 12:46 PM
coaches, know what exactly occurs (i.e. what's within the limits) of a visit like PK's ? What can we/he do and what is verbotin ?

thanks

surfmonkey89
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM

You're new here, aren't you?

baitcast
04-21-2012, 01:22 PM
:pray:This morning its 4:30 and I,m awake the first thing I,m thinking about besides coffee is I wonder if he's signed yet and I guess I,m making sounds to that effect my wife turns over frowns and tells me to shut up about that kid and get up and let the dog out:o

I really like what I see but I was the same way with Bol,been wondering about the Polish sausage thing helping at this stage of the game I'm ready to try anything,wonder if the drums might help again also.
Rob

bballbeachbum
04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
checked out from the GU digital world for a couple of days and didn't expect this when checking back in today

close the deal baby!

Oregonzagnut
04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I rarely chime in about the hand wringing/hysteria on the board associated with recruiting...I'd like to get PK - the interest from the other programs indicates that the kid has some serious potential...relationships matter to kids and their parents(he played with Pangos and Tommy has been with him for a couple of years). We have a relationship, let's see how it pans out....deep breath everyone.

Thanks for the reminder!

TBH, if we are blessed to have Harris for one more year and we have the team we have right now, with no changes, I LOVE OUR CHANCES!!

We have Harris, Dower, Olynyk (lets not forget our current 7 ft'r), Pangos, Bell, Edi, Stockton, Hart, and we haven't even seen Drang and Sarby yet!

Karno or not, Lockett or not, we are loaded next year and they will all have experience and familiarity with one another to build on the success we had this year. With Harris back, this team is far from "rebuilding" but is simply "building".

WOW!!

Kiddwell
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM

An even keel on a stormy sea. Thanks, GoZags.

gozagswoohoo
04-21-2012, 02:47 PM
The Duke board just started a thread about him a few hours ago.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=8926115

Can't remember if you have to be a member to view this or not. But if you can't see it, they're all positives posts and saying he would be a good replacement for Mason after next season.

ZagFanInNC
04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
It is unbeleavably nice right now in Spokane, easily the nicest day of the year. Hopefully they are taking him down to Riverfront Park today to show him what Spokane is like.

Maybe tacos afterwards?

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-21-2012, 05:23 PM
talking about recruiting wise.....ok, maybe wiltjer but we were never this close....jordan farmar maybe..hey its cloudy here today, u know that, and the padres are godawful and dont even appear on my tv set.......peace, out

I read ya, Jazz. I was just poking fun. I would also add Jeff Taylor to the list of recruiting letdowns. And I don't get the Padres games either. But that could be a good thing given the way they have been playing.

MDABE80
04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Go inland 1 miles...sunny and 75. Sometimes June gloom comes early.

Reborn
04-21-2012, 06:03 PM

I looked into my glass ball and I saw him signing a letter of intent that said Gonzaga University on it.

Do NOT worry friends in Zagland. Enjoy the warm sunny weather today. PK is in Spokane on the nicest day of the year. Hopefully all the young beautiful women came out today to get a little sun.

The Zags have Kevin Pangos and Elias Harris on his side. I bet they're having fun......

jazzdelmar
04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Go inland 1 miles...sunny and 75. Sometimes June gloom comes early.

not today, dockster. gloom clear to poway and hemet....wifey's flight from dfw was diverted to palm springs. came in hours late and lindbergh was empty at 5pm.......still, i'd rather be here than in philadelphia......

kitzbuel
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
BTW, Philly was nice today.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
I went to Horton Plaza today. Does that count?

AzZag
04-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Scary post on the Duke message board about Karnovore

gozagswoohoo
Oddly Peculiar
2614 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Posted: Today#8:04#PM
RE: Przemel Karnowski#
Back off!!! We saw him first!!
Reply | Quote

EuroZag2010
04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
That's funny!! I hope it becomes official soon! I can't stand this waiting game

Zag 77
04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Don't all the top programs arrange for nice, friendly girls to show their recruits around?

Virtuous girls of course. We are a Catholic school.:roll:

What is the story on this angle?

Zagluv95
04-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Trying to keep positive is killing me!!! I'm hoping that his time with the team is all he needed to persuade him to kill other trips after this one. My source told me he was going to visit another campus, "Marquette?" but I truly hope he enjoyed his stay here! I do know that Mr. Sacre was impressed by his stature. I truly believe GU's efforts will be validated!!

sullyzag66
04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Trying to keep positive is killing me!!! I'm hoping that his time with the team is all he needed to persuade him to kill other trips after this one. My source told me he was going to visit another campus, "Marquette?" but I truly hope he enjoyed his stay here! I do know that Mr. Sacre was impressed by his stature. I truly believe GU's efforts will be validated!!
According to his tweet about an hour ago he enjoyed his visit, but otherwise non-committal:

last night on the zags campus , it was great to be there for those 2 days #ncaa #gonzaga (https://twitter.com/#!/PKarnowski)

MDABE80
04-21-2012, 09:05 PM
All we can be is what we are..........for now. SO he's off to Marquette, KU and DUke. He'll find his way back to us. More focused on Lockett now anyway. I wonder how Kelly compares...not in weight but skill these days.

Zagtana
04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I can't stand the drama either. Going to bed. When I get up tomorrow a.m. going to check this board and want to read that Big K has signed up to be a Zag! Don't let him leave town until it gets done.

Oregonzagnut
04-21-2012, 09:50 PM
All we can be is what we are..........for now.

Amen! We are what we are! Przemek! Come to Gonzaga! It will be the best decision of your entire life. During your entire time here, we will challenge all comers for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and be on national TV every week!

It doesn't get any better than GONZAGA! It really doesn't. A small focussed private education and campus, with a basketball program the caliber of any public major school out there! Its the best of both worlds!

TerpZag
04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
... What can we/he do and what is verbotin ?

thanks

gamagin, what are you thinking of doing? ;)

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 03:36 AM
college bb is dog eat dog but i naively expected more from coach k. poaching another team's recruit has never been his style, imo. sure he churns and chases kids faster than even gonzaga, but he's not known as a horse thief. maybe he gets a pass on the ethnic thing. he and wojo would be doubly happy having pk, i assume. now self, behind that too perfect hairpiece and smile and all american midwest image lay another type altogether. he stole the loyola transfer right from under san diego states nose, angering steve fisher, normally a mellow fellow. he also chases kids; we got a good one. the buzzster, i dont know. seems like marquette has an unending number of schollies. end of the day, it's what the game is, maybe always has been. if we lose pk i feel for few and tommy. but they are big boys and they and the team will be just fine.

75Zag
04-22-2012, 04:46 AM
I am just hoping I don't have to start writing lyrics for my next big country song - They Got the Pole, We Got the Shaft.

ZagMan in Philly
04-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I would be very surprised if PK is not a Zag, just a hunch. Our coaches have been on him since day one, and this goes a long way. Let's sign it PK.

rijman
04-22-2012, 06:44 AM
college bb is dog eat dog but i naively expected more from coach k. poaching another team's recruit has never been his style, imo. sure he churns and chases kids faster than even gonzaga, but he's not known as a horse thief. maybe he gets a pass on the ethnic thing. he and wojo would be doubly happy having pk, i assume. now self, behind that too perfect hairpiece and smile and all american midwest image lay another type altogether. he stole the loyola transfer right from under san diego states nose, angering steve fisher, normally a mellow fellow. he also chases kids; we got a good one. the buzzster, i dont know. seems like marquette has an unending number of schollies. end of the day, it's what the game is, maybe always has been. if we lose pk i feel for few and tommy. but they are big boys and they and the team will be just fine.
Top coaches are paid $2M+ to win and they will do EVERYTHING possible to win, some within the rules and some outside the rules. If PK can help KU or Duke I see no reason why they wouldn't pursue him whether it's early or late in the recruiting process. Regarding Marquette and their unending number of scholarships, I hear you. They bump a kid to make room for Trent, are they willing to bump another for PK? I hope PK chooses GU, but if he doesn't we'll be in good shape with KO and SD.

sullyzag66
04-22-2012, 07:04 AM
I am just hoping I don't have to start writing lyrics for my next big country song - They Got the Pole, We Got the Shaft.
Or we could just go with this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxyoud_c-E)

Goshzagit
04-22-2012, 07:23 AM
I would be very surprised if PK is not a Zag, just a hunch. Our coaches have been on him since day one, and this goes a long way. Let's sign it PK.

Maybe we came on a little too strong?

There is a reason PK has decided to schedule last minute trips to Marquette & potentially Duke, on part of our dime no less, at least the flight to the US & back to Poland. All Marquette had to pony up was Spokane to Milwaukee.

He's curious in other schools & people he has yet to meet...what 18 yr old kid wouldn't?

Also, Coach Lightyear is infamous for rolling out the red carpet for recruits i.e., bummer limo at the airport, catered meals, personalized videos, a coed "tour guide", etc.

Meanwhile, we send our prospectives to Taco Bell...

baitcast
04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
PLZ someone tell me you took him somewhere other than Taco Bell:eek:;) Looks like he could handle a side of beef.
Rob

BobZag
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
After commiting in Poland to Few and Tommy, it will be a bitter pill for them to swallow if he doesn't sign before leaving. I know they were counting on it. We'll see.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
After commiting in Poland to Few and Tommy, it will be a bitter pill for them to swallow if he doesn't sign before leaving. I know they were counting on it. We'll see.

beezer- put very skeptically. has he left campus? if he leaves, what are chances then? as disappointing as farmar?

BobZag
04-22-2012, 09:52 AM
beezer- put very skeptically. has he left campus? if he leaves, what are chances then? as disappointing as farmar?

Recruits usually have breakfast and meet with the staff the morning they leave, Few in particular, and that's when the offer/commitment/signing takes place, so if nothing happens, it'll be considered a failure to close the deal, a bitter pill. Glad it's them and not me, lol. No, Farmer was the worst, led UCLA to two FFs. His long lost father, who he hadn't seen or heard from in years, butted in and steered him away from GU, the mom was seething.

jimmy b
04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Recruits usually have breakfast and meet with the staff the morning they leave, Few in particular, and that's when the offer/commitment/signing takes place, so if nothing happens, it'll be considered a failure to close the deal, a bitter pill. Glad it's them and not me, lol. No, Farmer was the worst, led UCLA to two FFs. His long lost father, who he hadn't seen or heard from in years, butted in and steered him away from GU, the mom was seething.

In terms of college BB aspirations, choosing UCLA worked out well for Farmar.

I know how long staff were on him....seems like back to 9th grade at Taft if not sooner, so it hurts, but from the kids point of view (basketball wise at least), he didn't make a bad call.

Unfortunately, the same thing could likely be said in the future should PK choose Duke, Kansas, etc.

I certainly want him at GU, but this is the reality as I see it.

MDABE80
04-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Yep that's how I remember the Farmar episode. I was doing winter duties at Cedras Sinai and went out to look at him a coupld of times. On one of those times, the whole team (Few in tow) to cheer Jordan on. I think they went on a Loyola weekend. The thought then was that the mom had him coming to GU. Seemed like it was set. Then POOF!...UCLA had him.

I do hope, afterall this extraordinary effort, Tommy is rewarded with a "V" on this. Amazing though that these other schools show up so quickly when heretofore they were absent. Maybe Karno has taken a quantum leap in improvement. Kids who are really good won't lie fallow for long in the world wide search for the best.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 10:13 AM

so what ur saying is that if he doesn't sign before he leaves (presumably today) the chances he becomes a zag are nil?

BobZag
04-22-2012, 10:20 AM
so what ur saying is that if he doesn't sign before he leaves (presumably today) the chances he becomes a zag are nil?

No, not nil, but very, very disappointing... And if he snuck in a previously unscheduled visit to Marquette behind the staff's back, whoa, that will go over like a lead balloon. Look for Few to change direction fast, like onto that Juco big that was posted on here a little while back. But if relationships are still good, Tommy will keep trying. Few needs to move on to Lockett and others.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Judging from the comments by those in the know, it sounds like the Zags' staff have the longest running relationship with PK of any program. Also, based on his tweets and the pic of him and Kevin, it looks like PK had a great time on his visit. This would seem to put the Zags in the driver's seat, and I don't think Marquette has the juice to pull him away. On the other hand, Duke and Kansas are schools that a player can't ignore, but hopefully the staff's relationpship with PK is strong enough that he'd feel some loyalty to GU and overlook any last minute overtures from Coach K and Bill Self. When the dust settles, I think PK will be packing his bags for Spokane.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Judging from the comments by those in the know, it sounds like the Zags' staff have the longest running relationship with PK of any program. Also, based on his tweets and the pic of him and Kevin, it looks like PK had a great time on his visit. This would seem to put the Zags in the driver's seat, and I don't think Marquette has the juice to pull him away. On the other hand, Duke and Kansas are schools that a player can't ignore, but hopefully the staff's relationpship with PK is strong enough that he'd feel some loyalty to GU and overlook any last minute overtures from Coach K and Bill Self. When the dust settles, I think PK will be packing his bags for Spokane.

Hope ur right Zaggin, hope ur right. I know you're not making this statement with the sun in your eyes...lol. Remember the sun?

BobZag
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Keep your eyes peeled, fellas. Few mighta closed the deal this morn.

GoGU
04-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Is it wrong that I'm praying about this?

EuroZag2010
04-22-2012, 11:02 AM

I hope Few closed the deal!!

Just talked with @PKarnowski# !! looks like he will be the next Polak in NCAA !! Exited for him !!

by olekczyz at 4/22/12 10:51 AM

(Source: http://twitter.com/olekczyz/status/194133102484926464)

tlark420
04-22-2012, 11:06 AM
:bishop_smiley:
I hope Few closed the deal!!

tlark420
04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
:allhail:

ALL HAIL BOBZAG

CamarilloZag
04-22-2012, 11:12 AM
I hope this Tweet tells it all!!!

CamarilloZag
04-22-2012, 11:13 AM
(Olek Czyz #31's tweet)

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Hope ur right Zaggin, hope ur right. I know you're not making this statement with the sun in your eyes...lol. Remember the sun?

San Diego is the anti-Tatooine. They have two suns, and we have zero.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
San Diego is the anti-Tatooine. They have two suns, and we have zero.

but we do have cirque de soleil starting wednesday at the del mar fairgrounds...thats sun of a sort...circus of the sun.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/americas/usa/california/san-diego.aspx

sullyzag66
04-22-2012, 11:20 AM
but we do have cirque de soleil starting wednesday at the del mar fairgrounds...thats sun of a sort...circus of the sun.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/americas/usa/california/san-diego.aspx
Is there a Taco Bell nearby?

JAGzag
04-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Recruiting this kid is becoming abusive to us fans! On one day, off the next! But honestly, how do we not know if we landed this kid - wouldn't it leak out, don't we have any peeps on the inside?

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Is there a Taco Bell nearby?

its san diego, you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a dozen taco joints of all kinds.....

MDABE80
04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
"Juanita's" still rules though Jazz. I used to own most of those apartments west of "1". Indeed what a fun time that was trying to work and still manage the deadbeat surfer rents:( But I did eat at Juanita's" more than I should. Just one of my stupid attempts at making money in S Cal.

DagsZags
04-22-2012, 11:31 AM

I really hope not, because I am too lol

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2012, 11:53 AM
"Juanita's" still rules though Jazz. I used to own most of those apartments west of "1". Indeed what a fun time that was trying to work and still manage the deadbeat surfer rents:( But I did eat at Juanita's" more than I should. Just one of my stupid attempts at making money in S Cal.

Las Quatro Milpas (http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-cuatro-milpas-san-diego) is the gold standard, IMO.

Does anyone know if PK has plans to play in international competition over the summer?

Go Zags!

MDABE80
04-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Good one Zaggin.........As far as Karno goes, monitor those tweets is my advice. If they go cold, he's looking. If he's made his choice, he'll let the world know.

Vanzagger
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
to the guy who always posts the # of Mickey D players Duke gets compared to us when ever I compare programs.

First, I don't like Duke or coach K. The only reason bring them up is because they are a small school and play in front of the second best fans in the nation.

Why does Duke have an interest in Karno? To ride their bench? Redshirt? We have had the talent the last 5 years to win every game. Every. Quit making lame excuses. Think big.

Oh yeah, Kansas promised JP starter's minutes but he kept his word to us. No more excuses. Do what your supposed to and recruiting will take care of itself. I get why we cant fire Few but I refuse to protect him.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-22-2012, 12:15 PM
college bb is dog eat dog but i naively expected more from coach k. poaching another team's recruit has never been his style, imo. sure he churns and chases kids faster than even gonzaga, but he's not known as a horse thief.

With how much Duke spends on recruiting, I assumed they knew all about Karnowski and decided to take the next batch of Plumlees instead. There must be a few more of them about to graduate high school, right?

northsidezagfan
04-22-2012, 12:20 PM
First, I don't like Duke or coach K.

+1

FroZAG
04-22-2012, 12:22 PM
The fact that Duke is now on his trail makes me want to throw up.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-22-2012, 12:28 PM
The fact that Duke is now on his trail makes me want to throw up.

That seems to be the general consensus around here, whether people want to admit it or not.

I'm trying to stay positive, but personally I feel 50/50 on us actually signing him when I was about 99/1 before I heard "Duke" enter the conversation. My gut says yes, but if he visits Duke and Kansas it just can't help our chances.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Beezer, is this silence golden? Or fools gold?

ZagNative
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
New tweet:
Rafał Juć ‏ @rafjuc

Przemysław Karnowski ('93) finished his visit in Gonzaga, but stays in State for couple days. Meanwhile, he turned down Marquette & Utah.This is maddening ...

rijman
04-22-2012, 01:33 PM
New tweet:This is maddening ...
So he's not going to Marquette, that's good news for us and Marquette's players, maybe no one else will be bumped off their team. What does staying "in state" mean, Washington or the United States?

VaBeachZAG
04-22-2012, 01:34 PM
So, does this mean that now the Cougs and Huskies get a shot at him, or maybe the Eagles????

RRZagFan
04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Some guy from CAL was online telling everybody that he was visiting there today. Saw this on twitter

MDABE80
04-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Wash St was looking at him too. He's ummmmmmmmmmm....too tall for the huskies.

jimmy b
04-22-2012, 01:48 PM
So he's not going to Marquette, that's good news for us and Marquette's players, maybe no one else will be bumped off their team. What does staying "in state" mean, Washington or the United States?

I read as states.

in other words, leaving the NW without committing which doesn't bode well imo.

Rafal Juc has been pretty accurate throughout this drama.

Mantua
04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Not nervous about WSU, but CAL and Duke!

Hate these rumors.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Appears the run for the border was a group activity...

Kyle Dranginis
@KDranginis3

@BigKelz13 @KPangos @GBell_5 jus dropped a quick 40 piece at taco bell lol #priceless

RRZagFan
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
He is on airplane heading to bay area, hope he just wants cal vac before heading back to Poland, and he will be here in Spokane this fall.

RockandRollJames
04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Slipper Still Fits ‏ @slipperstillfit
Update on Karnowski: His visit went very well. He will still take other visits. As we have said, not a done deal, but GU is in a good spot

He will visit Cal for the next two days. There may be other visits afterwards, but not guaranteed at this point

Cal has been recruiting him for an extended period of time. Cal assistant coach John Montgomery has been the lead recruiter

cjm720
04-22-2012, 02:39 PM
You can't come this far and not got to Cali. Not too worried about Cal...Duke can kiss my ass. But really even if going pro was a reason many held back, we didn't and have put a big man in the NBA and have the need. All things considered, I like our chances more than a week ago.

tlark420
04-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Rafał Juć ‏ @rafjuc

this moment California, Gonzaga, Kansas, Duke are in mix, but Zaga with the biggest chances. We'll see. Not done deal yet.

ZagNative
04-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm hereby swearing off this madness. No more thread views about our Polish friend until I see one that announces his commitment. Enough is enough.

jazzdelmar
04-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Rafał Juć ‏ @rafjuc

this moment California, Gonzaga, Kansas, Duke are in mix, but Zaga with the biggest chances. We'll see. Not done deal yet.

As per BZ, if he leaves without signing it is perceived as a blow to GUs efforts and a bad sign overall. Is that still the case?

gamagin
04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm hereby swearing off this madness. No more thread views about our Polish friend until I see one that announces his commitment. Enough is enough.

this might help, ZN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B554BTG7SrA

best,

NEC26
04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't think I have ever seen so much hand wringing over one recruit before. I'd like to see him come here as well but this program has missed out on other guys before its not the end of the world.
GU will carry on whatever his decision is. I hope he wants to be a part of it but if not so be it. We will still be a top 25 team next year and a strong program going forward either way.

willandi
04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
But we will be down to just 1 legitimate 7 footer!

jimmy b
04-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Abe - must agree with you on this, at least for No. County locals.
I had the property across tracks from it for 20 years and Juanita's support has never wavered day or night.
The idea of going to Taco Bell seems so remote to people around here.

BACK TO TOPIC AT HAND: Leaving without a signing isn't what was apparently expected, BUT, noboby is owed anything and letting a kid come to his own conclusions on his own timeline may mean, if and when he commits, he's very solid in that decision. After a whirlwind trip with jetlag, I don't expect anything further until he returns home. Cal is definitely a nice campus, school and presents well, so that is a threat though not nearly what Duke or Kansas represent IMO.

JAGzag
04-22-2012, 03:08 PM
As per BZ, if he leaves without signing it is perceived as a blow to GUs efforts and a bad sign overall. Is that still the case?

No offense, but BZ's all over the place on this one. If I were visiting, why not try to sneek a few extra trips in while you're here, even if he wants GU.

BroncoZAG615
04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
No offense, but BZ's all over the place on this one. If I were visiting, why not try to sneek a few extra trips in while you're here, even if you wants GU.

Totally agree. The hissy fits people are having are utterly laughable. God forbid a kid from a different continent wants to visit more than one school in the states. Get a grip, folks. Zags are in great shape.

JeffyJeff
04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't think I have ever seen so much hand wringing over one recruit before.

The drums were beating quite fiercely in the angst leading up to the delivery of Bol Kong, if memory serves correctly. Granted, a different set of concerns were driving the hand wringing there.

AzZag
04-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Yawn.......this ordeal has become boring and lame. This thread did motivate me to go out and destroy a 6 pack of Doritos locos. Man, I swear God himself handcrafted the formula for the delicious treats. I mean he has been known to create things of perfection in the past.

NorthoftheBorder
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
The official Cal website lists 14 players on the current roster with eligiblity remaining and only one is referred to as a walk on. They have received 3 commitments from incoming players. Does anybody know if Cal even has any open scholarships available?

GoZags
04-22-2012, 03:49 PM
But we will be down to just 1 legitimate 7 footer!

Nobody (publically) knew Ronny Turiaf had signed his Letter of Intent until he arrived on campus.

Nobody (publically) knew 6' 11' Ian Mahinmi had signed his Gonzaga Letter of Intent until well after he was taken in the first round by the Spurs.

Nobody (publically) knew that Johan Petro had committed to the Zags until after he was taken in the first round by the Sonics.

Folks "knew" about "the Croatian" and then Mario Kasun arrived on campus. Too bad he had to leave (and Turiaf was the Plan B).

Folks "know" about Karnowski -- and I'd put it 80/20 (or better) he's a Zag.

I've got a strong suspicion that the Zags will have more than 1 legitimate 7 footer for the '12/'13 campaign. Don't underestimate Tommy (and don't underestimate the Plan B's that could become Plan A's)

The Zags are okay, and they will be okay.

rijman
04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't think I have ever seen so much hand wringing over one recruit before. I'd like to see him come here as well but this program has missed out on other guys before its not the end of the world.
GU will carry on whatever his decision is. I hope he wants to be a part of it but if not so be it. We will still be a top 25 team next year and a strong program going forward either way.
Have we ever known so much about a recruiting visit with a top recruit while it was happening including tweets from the player we're recruiting? This was easy to follow because of all the information available.

CDC84
04-22-2012, 03:51 PM
The official Cal website lists 14 players on the current roster with eligiblity remaining and only one is referred to as a walk on. They have received 3 commitments from incoming players. Does anybody know if Cal even has any open scholarships available?

Like every other program, they'll make one available if they have to.

BobZag
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Folks "know" about Karnowski -- and I'd put it 80/20 (or better) he's a Zag.

I've got a strong suspicion that the Zags will have more than 1 legitimate 7 footer for the '12/'13 campaign.

This. I've always thought Karno will be a Zag, never wavered on that, and I still strongly believe he will be, but I know Few & Co. are very disappointed to not have gotten his signature during his visit after a commitment was made during Few's visit to Poland.

But he'll be a Zag, as I've been saying for months.

Unbiased
04-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I haven't seen this posted before - if it has I apologize. It was written a couple months ago by the Polish Tweeter- Rafal Juc, the Polish Basketball blogger who has been sending the tweets. It gives a great perspective on Karnowski, his goals, and his family. Makes me think if Karnowski does choose Gonzaga, I doubt if he would be here more than two years.

http://www.eurohopes.com/showroom/900/karnowski-and-his-basketball-family/rafal-juc/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Przemyslaw Karnowski ('93) is a very ambitious athlete with an awareness of his shortcomings and limitations. As a player with such great size he moves deftly on the court and avoids injuries. He is working hard and consciously builds his career realizing goals step by step. However, not everyone knows that of these characteristic of Siarka Tarnobrzeg center stands his father Bonifacy Karnowski, who for son is not only a mentor and an advisor, but also the first coach. When Karnowski was born in 1993, his father already had considerable experience and many successes on his account. Although the family of Przemys³aw is very basketball, because this sport was also practised by his mother. 18-years-old prospect decided by himself to devote his life to shooting orange ball to the basket. "I started from other disciplines. Firstly ice hockey, swimming and then soccer. When I was in sixth grade I went to workout and I really liked it. Nobody did not force me to this sport", says Karnowski, who began his adventure with basketball in MKS Katarzynka Torun, a club founded by his father, where Bonifacy Karnowski was in addition coach.

"Since I only remember I have always been connected with sport. Firstly I practiced high jump. But one time, because of personal problems I put many kilos and I had to search another passion. So I became basketball player. I played in second-league in Wisla Start Torun and then I became a coach", explains Karnowski senior. In 1994 he founded his own club MKS Katarzynka and focused on working with boys. At a same time he was working as a local referee too. In total he brought up few hundred people, not only future polish league or national team players, but also for example famous polish actress Joanna Koroniewska or couple of future models.

Finally at the beginning of this century his team joined his son. "I must admit that Przemek has been always treated harshly and I was always bothering him the most. I told him that he will play for me only if he will be one of the bests in team. Why? I did not want that anyone could say that young Karnowski plays, because his father is coach. I know many coaches who formed specially teams for their children. Przemek did not play with his peers until the last season. Previously he played with two or three years older guys", says Boniface, who adds that for him Przemek was always only one of wards. "As a coach with 35-years experience I know that Przemek has got 'something'. But except him under my wings there were many other talented boys. Now he is only another player raised under me, who has got a chance to get somewhere, maybe really high".

Nothing surprisingly that basketball has became a major theme in Karnowski’s house. "My mother was also playing, so it did not bother her. Some times ago I practiced only two times per week, now two times per day. My mom went through every step in my career really calmly. With dad we often had a different statement on court, but we were never moving our argument to the house. Although sometimes happened that after game we did not talk to each other", recalls Przemek.

Bonifacy Karnowski is undoubtedly a controversial figure and well known in the word of polish basketball. Not only does he courageously comment on current events, but is mainly criticized of the aggressive and blatant manner of coaching. "You may don't like me and complain about my job. But names of my former pupils testify about something. I can also boast that benefit when organizing the 35th anniversary of my coaching work, in Spozywczak (Hall in Torun - ed.). There were over 300 people. I invited close friends, but the rest came from itself. If I meet someone we always have got long chat, everyone tells me about private life, what is with him. This probably indicates that these people do not resent me that when they were 14 I was yelling on them. I am normal man. What is important is an effect of the work", he explains.

After the Polish national team unexpectedly went for fourth place on European Championship U16 in 2009 and Karnowski noted impressive statistics and showed natural talent, scouts, agents as well as fans started to perceive him as a future of European basketball. No wonder that he had offers from the most prestigious teams like for example Barcelona, but also from many NCAA squads. "Przemek has got a dream of playing in NCAA. Therefore, for season 2011/12 the best option was Siarka Jezioro Tarnobrzeg. Son is still MKS Katarzynka’s player but thanks to “green card” (document about loan - ed.) can play in first division for Siarka. Every single day agents and manager report to us and offer big money. However, we are not interested right now", tells his father.

Karnowski often changed clubs and is used to taking important decision about his future. However, the most important is still perhaps waiting to take it seems that Przemek will leave Poland and come over to States to continue his development in NCAA league. If he decides he will do it certainly after long consultations with parents. "Of course I consult everything with them, but I decide", explains 18-years-old prospect. Maybe if not talks with parent, Karnowski would never play in Tauron Basket Liga (first polish division - ed.). "After last year’s European Championship Przemek was for long time determined to move to prep school to United States. Before he gave up, I talked with him really long. Now he shows me that it was good decision to stay. We make all decisions together at home. Przemek says what he want and then me and my wife give him arguments for and against", explains his dad.

Despite fact that their cooperation ended in 2009 year, 18-years-old talent is considering much suggestions of his parents. "Very often we talk about my game. Only this season parents saw me in action several times. After game I always tell them what I could do better and what I have to improve", says Siarka’s center. His father adds: "I look to Przemek not only as a father, but also as a coach. I never judge him basing on only statistic. Always ask him how did he feel playing tonight. Then I listen him and on the and can give him advises".

As well father as son are aware of bulk of work that still awaits Karnowski. Young prospect first of all needs to improve body building, became stronger and expand plays characteristic for frontcourt players. "In history there were so many talented players. Jakub Parzenski, Mateusz Jarmakowicz, Wojciech Barycz or Jakub Wojciechowski. Currently they are bench warmers, did not present solid league level and struggle to injuries. Therefore it is needed to look long term. If indeed we have such a big talent, we can grind him longer and 'sell' 2-3 years later for a higher price", Bonifacy notes.

18-years-old center, who is making his debut on the highest polish senior level is averaging so far 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds playing nearly 25 minutes per game, interspersing excellent games like this against Anwil (scored 26 points and 3-pointer for OT - ed.) with colorless performances. Siarka’s center enjoys big interested among fans and was selected to starting five to All-Star Game of polish league. Indisputably Karnowski is polish player of young generation with the biggest chance to be selected in NBA Draft soon and make there career. But for now it looks like the next for him will be joining NCAA. "At the moment we have a list of 30 universities, which want Przemek and he will definitely find his place. I will certainly not will let boy to school, where he will be running only behind four guards, who prefer streetball", promises Bonifacy.

No doubt about it that Karnowski is NBA-future player. He still improves himself and it seems that NCAA is the best option for him. Now all depends on with which school he will sign for. Taking into account fact that Karnowski does impress big IQ not only on court, but as well off, polish fans should not worry about future of this prospect.

Zerogame
04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Przemek Karnowski = Mike Krzyzewski

Could this be Polish for DOOM!

strikenowhere
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Hey guys,

I'd love to see the Zags lock up Karnowski, but I have a serious question...where would his minutes come from? There are currently three bigs spread across two positions at PF and C. With Harris taking the 4 and either Dower or Olynyk taking the 5, where would Karnowski's minutes be coming from? Isn't this the same position that Spangler was in last year (with Sacre instead of Olynyk)? Most likely Karnowski would be getting garbage minutes barring injury or foul trouble for two or more guys.

The only other way I'd see Karnowski get significant minutes would be if Harris starts at the 3, with Dower at 4 and Olynyk at 5 with Karnowski first off the bench. Of course, I think the Harris experiment at the 3 is over, plus the Zags are hard at recruiting Lockett for that spot anyway plus with Edi, Hart, and Dranginis there is a logjam at the 3.

One of the big ploys some of the other contenders for Karnowski could make is significant playing time, even if it is off the bench. I just don't see that being the case here. Anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks

willandi
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
but I don't see anything specific about 1,2 or 3 and done. That being said, if he improves to the point that he becomes a lottery pick, he would have wasted his education if he doesn't take the money. The danger of playing the extra year or two is injury, and, as a Senior, they know you really don't have any significant options other than NBA and Europe. Nothing against Europe, but if you play basketball, you want the NBA.
Let's all remember too, regardless of where he chooses to go (and I fervently hope that it's the Zags) he is an 18 year old being put in the position of making a decision that will affect the rest of his life! Let's all act like adults.
Not too worried about U of Cal. Not after the strong season the Pac 12 had last year. And if he's on this coast, the Zags are the most televised school around. My worries are Kansas and the D word, just because thay have advanced farther in the tourney than the Zags. I trust in Tommy and Few.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is 'who has paid for this trip'? If it's the Karnowski's, we don't have much to say one way or the other. If it was Gonzaga, we should be demanding some sharing of the cost!

MDABE80
04-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Kansas is desparate. I do hope K is still with us today for this spectacular sunny day.
I think he is REALLY our one true 5. I do hope we sign him up before he travels. It'll only confuse him to shop himself. We got the goods here. Such a struggle at Duke. Kansas is nowhere. Self get skids who don't need much coaching. They just learn the plays..not much instruction on how to play....technique and such.

I think he'll be with us unless someone fills his head with goofiness and promises. Besides that, we're nice here.:)

rijman
04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
I appreciate the opportunity to get some insight on what it takes to recruit top players to GU. With American players the Zags are up against teams like Duke, Kansas and Kentucky and every recruit knows who they are. With an international recruit they likely have less knowledge of the NCAA landscape and still the Zags have to fend off the big boys for a top recruit like PK. It's no picnic for coaches working from the sideline in close games and these touch and go recruiting situations can't be any easier on them. I am confident the Zags staff has done their best with PK, and will continue to stay in touch and pursue him to the best of their ability. I am ok knowing that the Zags have given PK their best effort and if he isn't wearing a Zags uniform this fall then it just wasn't meant to be.

JPtheBeasta
04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
I agree with the above. If he is a legit early entry candidate he will jump over KO and Dower. Rob was durable and stayed out of foul trouble for the most part. It's tough to rely on KO, Dower, or a freshman to match Rob's minutes. I expect the minutes at the 5 to be spread more evenly this year, with perhaps Few going with the hot hand on a game-by-game basis.

As a counter point, Wiltjer, who has become infamous around these parts, could have played right away somewhere but opted to be a backup at Kentucky. We also really don't know how accurate the need to play right away from PK is, because it seems there is as much mis-information about this guy as there is real information.

gamagin
04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I appreciate the opportunity to get some insight on what it takes to recruit top players to GU. With American players the Zags are up against teams like Duke, Kansas and Kentucky and every recruit knows who they are. With an international recruit they likely have less knowledge of the NCAA landscape and still the Zags have to fend off the big boys for a top recruit like PK. It's no picnic for coaches working from the sideline in close games and these touch and go recruiting situations can't be any easier on them. I am confident the Zags staff has done their best with PK, and will continue to stay in touch and pursue him to the best of their ability. I am ok knowing that the Zags have given PK their best effort and if he isn't wearing a Zags uniform this fall then it just wasn't meant to be.

well said.

ZagaZags
04-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Is in SF now, Rex Walters is going to give him a ride to the Cal Bears Campus tomorrow. Karnowski said he had a great time on Zags campus and we have alot great guys. ( Ok im kidding about Rex Walters )

realtydog
04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
is that right?? can he not visit a campus unoffially? the three are GU Cal and Marquette---then back to Poland, I guess

former1dog
04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
is that right?? can he not visit a campus unoffially? the three are GU Cal and Marquette---then back to Poland, I guess

I don't think there's a limit on official visits.

Also, somewhere in all the posts in this thread there was a note that Marquette is out of the running, but that Kansas and Duke are now players.

Angelo Roncalli
04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't think there's a limit on official visits.

Also, somewhere in all the posts in this thread there was a note that Marquette is out of the running, but that Kansas and Duke are now players.

I believe the limit is 5 official visits. No limit on unofficial.

gozagswoohoo
04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Copied this from the Karnowski tweets thread. This isn't coming from me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Basnight ‏ @jimbasnight
Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details
I'm hearing from a source that heard it straight from Gonzaga coach Mark Few today that Polish 7-footer Przemek Karnowski is going to Duke.

tlark420
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hearing from a source that heard it straight from Gonzaga coach Mark Few today that Polish 7-footer Przemek Karnowski is going to Duke.

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out,
You put your right foot in
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey Pokey
And you turn yourself around,
:vomit-smiley-007:That's what it's all about.

former1dog
04-23-2012, 08:27 AM

Going to Duke, as in taking a visit or Going to Duke as in "I'm going to go to school at Duke."

sdzag
04-23-2012, 08:29 AM
What is plan B.... C.... Whose tall on Campus?

dnj116
04-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Very disappointing if this doesn't mean that he is just taking a visit... Swing and a miss. However, rumors are running like crazy on this. Waiting for more confirmation.

sullyzag66
04-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Well, Duke's a lot closer to Poland.

gozagswoohoo
04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Is 'melt-down' one word, or two?

CDC84
04-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Jim Basnight is not a guy you want to pay much attention to. In addition to being a bad source of info and a notorious rumor generator, he hates the Zags.

ZagZombie
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
@DukeReport He couldn't be "coming to Duke" at this point even if he wanted to. Still have some things to sort out. Definitely interested.

Sure does have the Duke board all fired up though!
http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=173208678&mid=173208678&sid=1021&style=2

rijman
04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't believe PK has decided on Duke without visiting. He would go to GU and Cal and in the meantime decide on Duke? Doesn't make sense. Maybe he is planning on visiting Duke, which makes more sense.

BMAN
04-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Great article in the insider why GU would be the best school for him. Says that both Duke and Kansas have established bigs already and he wont get playing time. Said our bigs are not "back to the basket" players like he is, I hope he reads this.

Angelo Roncalli
04-23-2012, 09:50 AM

I wouldn't place much faith in anything Jim Basnight says. He is wrong far more than he is right. He couldn't find his ass with both hands.

gozagswoohoo
04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't place much faith in anything Jim Basnight says. He is wrong far more than he is right. He couldn't find his ass with both hands.

HOPE you're right!! Buddy of mine had the same advice about Basnight.

Baldwinzag
04-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Duke?

Why would Przemek become a Dookie when he's going to be the 1st Overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft anyway...

Haven't you heard? Twitter said so. :p

An updated article via Duke site: http://balldurham.com/2012/04/23/karnowski-to-duke/

7-foot Polish center Przemek Karnowski has narrowed his list down to Gonzaga, California, Duke, and Kansas. Karnowski has drawn rave reviews from college scouts across the country, often being compared to the Memphis Grizzlies’ Marc Gasol. Basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla has said that Karnowski has some of the softest hands of any big man he’s ever seen, and Karnowski is on the wish list of many college programs. So how does he fit in at Duke?

Duke currently has a plethora of big men, as seniors Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly will be expected to start in the frontcourt while being backed up by freshman Marshall Plumlee and Alex Murphy.

Karnowski could use his redshirt year to bulk up and improve his conditioning, two key aspects of his game that scouts believe that he needs to improve. His body fat was recently measured at 16.3%, and he has been chided in the past for lacking toughness and muscle to battle for rebounds in the paint. By using his redshirt year to fill out his frame and play 25-30 minutes per game, he could easily be starting for the Blue Devils at the center position starting in 2013.

Karnowski would be an invaluable addition for Duke, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Gonzaga is currently viewed as the favorite to land the Polish center, but I think that landing him would really put Duke in great position to not only have a big man to anchor their defense, but also have a multi-faceted offensive weapon.

PS - PK should take these visits. No need to 2nd guess his decision, whether its this year or the next. No matter what school he decides to attend, he's not necessarily an instant impact starting Center his 1st season until he gets up to speed from a physical and learning standpoint. His size, shooting, awareness alone will earn him minutes at any program, but I think it may take some time with him. He lacks a certain toughness at the moment. He'll most likely be coming off the bench for Duke, Kansas, or Gonzaga -- at least his 1st season. However, beyond that, I predict rapid improvement with his natural fundamentals, soft hands, passing skills, etc, where he can become a big-time College player and even the NBA someday, possibly early. He's currently ranked in the Top-5 of ALL International prospects amongst his age group. He's going to be a steal for whomever gets him. Personally, I believe its between Coach K's Polish heritage and Gonzaga. Big-12 bball doesn't seem to fit his style, Big-10 or West Coast or even ACC would be much better fit. I really hope our coaches showed him endless video of JP Batista, Ronny Turiaf, Rob Sacre, Sam Dower, etc to present how we feature our Centers.

gamagin
04-23-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm not Karnack, but I think the duke reference was in relation to the fallout from the tacos consumed during the weekend visit to GU. i.e. "i'm going to visit (aka drop a) dook next."

jim77
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Sounds like he'd get more minutes at GU. Also, I think the kids style (Offensive) is more compatible at GU.....we give our bigs a lot more freedom.

raise the zag
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
PS - PK should take these visits. No need to 2nd guess his decision, whether its this year or the next. No matter what school he decides to attend, he's not necessarily an instant impact starting Center his 1st season until he gets up to speed from a physical and learning standpoint. His size, shooting, awareness alone will earn him minutes at any program, but I think it may take some time with him. He lacks a certain toughness at the moment. He'll most likely be coming off the bench for Duke, Kansas, or Gonzaga -- at least his 1st season. However, beyond that, I predict rapid improvement with his natural fundamentals, soft hands, passing skills, etc, where he can become a big-time College player and even the NBA someday, possibly early. He's currently ranked in the Top-5 of ALL International prospects amongst his age group. He's going to be a steal for whomever gets him. Personally, I believe its between Coach K's Polish heritage and Gonzaga. Big-12 bball doesn't seem to fit his style, Big-10 or West Coast or even ACC would be much better fit. I really hope our coaches showed him endless video of JP Batista, Ronny Turiaf, Rob Sacre, Sam Dower, etc to present how we feature our Centers.

Yup.

rijman
04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm not Karnack, but I think the duke reference was in relation to the fallout from the tacos consumed during the weekend visit to GU. i.e. "i'm going to visit (aka drop a) dook next."
Good stuff, made me laugh.

EuroZag2010
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I went on Jimbasnights twitter and can't find that tweet? Did he delete it? Hmmm

maynard g krebs
04-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Jim Basnight is a Husky. And he is a laughing stock among the Husky fan base.

CDC84
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Karnowski could use his redshirt year to bulk up and improve his conditioning, two key aspects of his game that scouts believe that he needs to improve. His body fat was recently measured at 16.3%, and he has been chided in the past for lacking toughness and muscle to battle for rebounds in the paint. By using his redshirt year to fill out his frame and play 25-30 minutes per game, he could easily be starting for the Blue Devils at the center position starting in 2013.

Again, this article - despite its claims - is relying on evaluations from a few years ago when Karnowski was indeed overweight and lacking in the toughness department. I didn't originally want him back then. The video wasn't that impressive. He looked like a stiff.

Things have changed in the last 12-16 months. He has a whole new body now. You can see the difference in the recent video clips. Different player.

raise the zag
04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Again, this article - despite its claims - is relying on evaluations from a few years ago when Karnowski was indeed overweight and lacking in the toughness department. I didn't originally want him back then. The video wasn't that impressive. He looked like a stiff.

Things have changed in the last 12-16 months. He has a whole new body now. You can see the difference in the recent video clips. Different player.

Gonzaga expressed interest in Karnowski THEN and NOW. We wanted him unconditionally. Its like the man who unexpectedly inherits a fortune or wins the lottery having materialistic women suddenly "interested" in him...

Duke and Kansas are those golddiggers as far as I'm concerned.

I understand why PK is mutually interested in Kansas & Duke, but I don't like it.

We've been there through the thick 'n think, ups 'n downs, we've broken bread with him, visited his home, met his parents, we know him.

The Blue Blooded bimbos have flirted there way in to get a piece of the pie. Sucks.

Hopefully, The Big Karnowski is more loyal than that. . . we'll see.

Blitzing-Zag
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I hate all this drama lol. I just wish things would speed up and he would sign with us.

Baldwinzag
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
PK should reach out to his fellow Polish teammate & friend, Olek Czyz, about his experience at Duke. He was heavily recruited by Nevada, WSU, Santa Clara, etc.

Anyway, a 4*, Top-100 kid, Poland native, who never sniffed the court or playing time in his 2 yrs at Duke -- averaged 2 mpg his Soph season -- he ultimately transferred back to Nevada, loved every minute of it, averaged 14 ppg, 6.3 rpg this past season.

Just sayin'.

gu03alum
04-23-2012, 12:19 PM
PK should reach out to his fellow Polish teammate & friend, Olek Czyz, about his experience at Duke. He was heavily recruited by Nevada, WSU, Santa Clara, etc.

Anyway, a 4*, Top-100 kid, Poland native, who never sniffed the court or playing time in his 2 yrs at Duke -- averaged 2 mpg his Soph season -- he ultimately transferred back to Nevada, loved every minute of it, averaged 14 ppg, 6.3 rpg this past season.

Just sayin'.

Shhhhh, Are you trying to convince him to go to UNR?

Jakester425
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Im going to look at this situation glass half full. When he decides to sign with GU he will be choosing us over Duke & Kansas. How many times have we had a very realistic chance of doing that in the past? Props to Tommy for getting on him so early.

BobZag
04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Im going to look at this situation glass half full. When he decides to sign with GU he will be choosing us over Duke & Kansas. How many times have we had a very realistic chance of doing that in the past? Props to Tommy for getting on him so early.

Yup.

ZagDaddy
04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
He has a whole new body now.

I'm jealous. All I've got is a couple of new knees and a hip.