PDA

View Full Version : Lavine.........

MDABE80
04-19-2012, 07:17 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2018012415_bothell_basketball_player_zach.html

cjm720
04-19-2012, 07:21 AM
I bet he moves into the top 75 or better after the summer circuit.

No other top 150 players from the state??

CDC84
04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
He's top 60 at ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/127031/zach-lavine

and a 4 star at scout.com:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5574795

MDABE80
04-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Big competition....We need to win some big games early to turn his head. UCLA is just SO full of 1-3's....realy good ones. UW..well....Romar is Romar......not much to attract in my view. We win some big ones by January, he'll give us strong look.

hooter73
04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
so how do we land him again?

Coug Tracks
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Big competition....We need to win some big games early to turn his head. UCLA is just SO full of 1-3's....realy good ones. UW..well....Romar is Romar......not much to attract in my view. We win some big ones by January, he'll give us strong look.How I wish this was true.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I bet he moves into the top 75 or better after the summer circuit.

I'll go out on a limb and say top 40. My sense, with nothing concrete to back it up, is that he's a longshot. HIs offer list is going to grow. And if he signs in the fall period, there won't be any opportunities for those big wins to sway him before the signing period.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
My prediction is that Lavine ends up at UW, taking over for a graduating Gaddy.

Andrew Andrews will have 2 years in their system by then. Huskies say he's similar to Conroy. If so, more likely Lavine would play the wing for them, at least initially.

BobZag
04-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Not so fast, my friends. Don't dismiss the Zags just yet. He's Priority #1 for Few and that means GU will be "innit to winnit" for him to the end.

ZagFanInNC
04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Not so fast, my friends. Don't dismiss the Zags just yet. He's Priority #1 for Few and that means GU will be "innit to winnit" for him to the end.

]Andrew Andrews [/B]will have 2 years in their system by then. Huskies say he's similar to Conroy. If so, more likely Lavine would play the wing for them, at least initially.

In it to win it... first names the same as last names.

This is quickly turning into the American Idol thread.

BobZag
04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Mind you, Few has a lifetime of Seattle media "UW is the greatest thing since Naismith invented the game" to de-program out of LaVine, but he'll give it a good go.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I wasn't intending to agree with the UW prediction at all; just saying if he did, the wing would be more likely. He'll get better offers (has already). But a fair # of the Seattle kids do wind up staying home. Hope he thinks like Gray and Bell.

Bouldin4Prez
04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
5`11 wing? Unlikely

Either you are thinking of the wrong kid, or you have really poor reading comprehension.

webspinnre
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Mind you, Few has a lifetime of Seattle media "UW is the greatest thing since Naismith invented the game" to de-program out of LaVine, but he'll give it a good go.

Maybe this is something Tim can help with over there? :D

MDABE80
04-19-2012, 05:16 PM
JEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS uw DIDN'Tsniff the NCAA's....and misses in 2007 and 8 too? And yet UW is still the best in the State with the PI??? It's kinda hard to believe.
No matter what the UW's say, Romar is the loser in the head to head thing. Fans know it, media knows it...I cannot believe the bball kids don't know the above.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
5`11 wing? Unlikely

No. Old info. 6'3 and growing. Twos and 3s are often pretty interchangeable these days; I should have said combo guard.

BobZag
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I wasn't intending to agree with the UW prediction at all; just saying if he did, the wing would be more likely. He'll get better offers (has already). But a fair # of the Seattle kids do wind up staying home. Hope he thinks like Gray and Bell.

I wasn't responding to you. I just sensed a defeatist attitude by some. Zags might not get LaVine. But maybe we will. It's hard to overcome all the Husky honkers on the westside but, like you pointed out, it can be done with top flight prospects. :)

Hogan
04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd like to be optimistic but I have a hard time thinking a highly rated guard like Lavine would commit to the Zags in the next year or so.These type of players want to start, and soon. That's not going to happen with Mr. Pangos and Bell around.

MDABE80
04-19-2012, 09:13 PM
At 6'3 or 6'4 he'd be a shooting guard 2 and 3 responsibilities. He's fit in well with Gary and Kevin. They cannot play every minute. Lavine would fit perfectly as he scores 20 ppg....just like the Illinois 3 guard offense did in the 2006 campaign when they blistered us and everyone else till the FF.

I don't know why lots of posters seem to devalue GUwhen it comes to getting good recruits. I don't understand why Few has not been more involved in recruiting. It has not been a good idea from him to sideline himself. I hope BZ is correct that he's getting involved. There is nothing like a successful head coach in a kid's face courting him.

Lifeblood is recruiting. We have to do a better job. Soi why not go after the top kids? No reason I can see. TV? great scheduling? Facilitites? NCAA appearances? We have everything a kid could want.

ZagaZags
04-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I hope he does not go to UW just because his cousin just joined the team. Zach might wanna play 1 year with his cousin Mark Mc Laughlin.

U Zig, I Zag
04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
At some point Few and Co are going to have the bite their tongues and promise some AAA kid the goods if he comes on campus.

I know the purists (I would count myself one of them) prefer you earn your time, show the worth, etc (Hart, anyone else ever in the history of the program) but frankly, to get the best (projected) talent you might have to put yourselves out there.

I am not sure we NEED to do that to get a good team together and to keep winning... but if at some point, some kid that wants to be a Zag but wants to be the McD AA that he is and get the one and done deal going - well, I think that the Zags may need to bite down and go with it.

MDABE80
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
U Zig, I think GU is beyond rejecting a "one and done" kid. We'd like more time with special kids. I do think it would take more than "one" of those special kids though. I don't rememberONE kid making a FF type difference. They have five of em year in and out at UK. It's like a pro team there any more. SOmething like that , at least in my opinion, is not what Gu would want....maybe he'll blow up that way but he isn't now. I don't think Zach is that type anyway. He's quite attractive because he's very good and would fit nicely with the rest of the backcourt IMO.

I didn't know he had a cousin who jumped on the UW team this year. It does tilt the table. All we can do is put the best team on the floor. We can do better I think. Lots better but as it sits right now, we have the nucleaus of a very good future. One wing and one big away. ....

JAGzag
04-20-2012, 03:18 AM
I am not sure we NEED to do that to get a good team together and to keep winning... but if at some point, some kid that wants to be a Zag but wants to be the McD AA that he is and get the one and done deal going - well, I think that the Zags may need to bite down and go with it.

Honest question: how do we think Few would do with one and done players from a development/chemistry perspective? Is he that type of motivator and coach? Works for KY but has NEVER worked for UW, so where would GU fit?

CanadianZagFan
04-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Honest question: how do we think Few would do with one and done players from a development/chemistry perspective? Is he that type of motivator and coach? Works for KY but has NEVER worked for UW, so where would GU fit?

He has shown in the past that he is willing to play and start rookies and develop the team with them in key roles. Fitting in a talented player at a position of need is not difficult when approached properly, and I think Few has shown he can do that.

cjm720
04-20-2012, 05:45 AM
And he'd love to have some.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-20-2012, 06:53 AM
JEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS uw DIDN'Tsniff the NCAA's....and misses in 2007 and 8 too? And yet UW is still the best in the State with the PI??? It's kinda hard to believe.
No matter what the UW's say, Romar is the loser in the head to head thing. Fans know it, media knows it...I cannot believe the bball kids don't know the above.

I find it interesting that Romar's name is never mentioned in the coaching carousel discussions. If he's as good as the UW fans think he is, you would think that other schools would try to lure him away.

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I find it interesting that Romar's name is never mentioned in the coaching carousel discussions. If he's as good as the UW fans think he is, you would think that other schools would try to lure him away.

He was brought up in passing for Illinois... But that was mostly from the talking heads.

zag944
04-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Romar is coaching at his alma mater, which is a Pac 12 school in a major city that is a hub for talent.

Whether you think he is all that good or not (Im leaning toward the "not"), I would guess the reason he isnt mentioned much is because there doesnt appear to be many jobs he would leave for.

U Zig, I Zag
04-20-2012, 09:43 AM

I wonder about that. He is quick to pull and regulate someone to the bench when they falter repeatedly or someone else steps up and surpasses them. Keita was sort a star for a bit two seasons back, saved us a couple times but he doesn't even matter anymore. So if that's Keita or that someone else better comes along it's hard to say.

I truly don't think Few would turn down a 5-star player that everyone is certain will jump to the NBA after a year, even if they have a 'mediocre' season and not a standout one. They have the body, skillset, etc and are ready and they are going. There are players like that (the UKs, Dukes, UNC's, etc get them obviously). I think we would take one and I don't think it would get in the way, chemistry-wise. It's a different story if everyone knows what to expect going in. It's like falling in love on a two week vacation. You know you are leaving soon, but you go ahead with it and parting ways is tough but you knew it going in.

Austin was sort of that way, though it took him two years to get there.

Not sure if Lavine is that type of player. I doubt it, so I wasn't really referencing him - it was more of a generic question. Even our biggest target/bust lately, Kyle W, wouldn't have been a one and done player at GU, IMHO.