PDA

View Full Version : Few to Coach Men's U18 National Team

northsidezagfan
04-17-2012, 08:40 AM
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/12_mu18_coaches.html

Pulled this off of USA Basketball's Twitter this morning. He got picked to be an assistant to Billy Donovan, along with Shaka Smart. Gotta think this can't do anything but help possibly land a high-level recruit in the future. Congrats Coach Few!

Zag 77
04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
About 100 SPF.

The 12-members of the 2012 USA Menís U18 National Team will be selected prior to the teamís departure for the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, which will be played June 16-20 in Sao SebastiŠo do Paraiso, Brazil.

I do not think a week in Brazil will interfere much with Few's offseason prep the way some people have complained about how some players have been affected by playing with their national teams. Plus, since school is not even out for a lot of players in June, I doubt they will have a lot of practice time. Few might even get a chance to get a look at some potential recruits in the competition.

I don't know if there is much fly fishing going on in June. Maybe he can get some piranha fishing in on the Amazon.

gamagin
04-17-2012, 08:58 AM
vacation. Or it's equivalent. Good for him. Good for the program.

ZAGGED OUT
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Very happy to see this, can't imagine it doing anything other then helping Few in future recruiting

Kiddwell
04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Good for Mark Few, good for GU. As noted above, this's a Win-Win in terms of kudos for the coach and getting his name (even more so) into the minds of recruits. One would think a lot of topnotch b-ball talent (speaking now of those not making the team) follows these games. They'll see Coach Few on the sidelines, see his name in write-ups, listen to his pre- and post-game interviews on ESPN and elsewhere, etc.

Good deal.

:]

CDC84
04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I know Few gained a lot from his experiences of being a court coach at the 2009 basketball trials. It's great to see him do this.

A real reason to be happy is the make up of this coaching staff. With Billy D., Few and Shaka Smart roaming the sidelines, the U18 team is going to be in good hands. There is some serious coaching ability in that group.

madness
04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Plus the water at Priest Lake will be too cold in June, might as well head to Brazil.

pbriz
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Very happy to see this, can't imagine it doing anything other then helping Few in future recruiting

This. Really smart move by Few in reaching out to the top prospects.

titopoet
04-17-2012, 09:42 AM
About 100 SPF.

I do not think a week in Brazil will interfere much with Few's offseason prep the way some people have complained about how some players have been affected by playing with their national teams. Plus, since school is not even out for a lot of players in June, I doubt they will have a lot of practice time. Few might even get a chance to get a look at some potential recruits in the competition.

I don't know if there is much fly fishing going on in June. Maybe he can get some piranha fishing in on the Amazon.

Except remember it's winter in Brazil in June. While there is no snowfall, it will still be on the chilly side.

Baldwinzag
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Congrats to Coach Few.

A fun and productive opportunity and honor.

I knew BZ was up to something when he started this THREAD (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=39746&highlight=billy+donovan) last month. :p

DADoZAG
04-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Congrats to Coach Few.

I knew BZ was up to something when he started this THREAD (http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=39746&highlight=billy+donovan) last month. :p

Saved me the search Baldwin, thanx!

And a quick thanx to BZ for his efforts and shared “insights” into the program.

But most of all, a “congrats” to Coach. Respect is a wonderful thing.

Go ZAGS!

sittingon50
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
IIRC, LoRo did this & got some mileage out of it, recruitingwise.

Blitzing-Zag
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Very cool, congrats to coach Few!

Oregonzagnut
04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow! What a great opportunity and learning experience for Few. It definitely will get some exposure for Gonzaga to the top USA recruits that he will meet and coach. Imagine the kids he will meet during tryouts! This is nothing but good for Gonzaga and it shows the high caliber and elite reputation Mark Few has. What a lucky bunch of fans we are to have Few as our coach year after year.

We need to keep reminding ourselves that Few is getting better every year and is learning new things with each new team that he teaches and leads. With all his successes and failures (not many), he still remains loyal and humble.

Thanks Mark! and Win a GOLD MEDAL FOR THE USA!!!

willandi
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Except remember it's winter in Brazil in June. While there is no snowfall, it will still be on the chilly side.

Isn't Brazil bisected, albeit unevenly, by the equator? So parts of it will be summer!

northsidezagfan
04-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Congrats to Coach Few.

Well played by both BZ's.

Reborn
04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Wow! What a great opportunity and learning experience for Few. It definitely will get some exposure for Gonzaga to the top USA recruits that he will meet and coach. Imagine the kids he will meet during tryouts! This is nothing but good for Gonzaga and it shows the high caliber and elite reputation Mark Few has. What a lucky bunch of fans we are to have Few as our coach year after year.

I think this experience will help his recruiting more than a TV appearance durning the NCAA tournament as an analyst.

maynard g krebs
04-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Isn't Brazil bisected, albeit unevenly, by the equator? So parts of it will be summer!

The city of Sao Paulo is 23.5 degrees south latitude, right on the edge of the tropics. July temps are about like Puget Sound, highs in low-mid 70's and lows in mid 50's.