PDA

View Full Version : And for Something completely different

titopoet
04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Errol Knight did it. Pargo then started it. I first noticed it watching Knight. An opponent would post him up. Errol would back off at the right time and player would lose his balance and stumble with no one to prop him up. Traveling call, and Errol would smile and the opposing player who scowl. I saw the same scowl on the face of SMC's Diamon Simpson. Just before he was grinning from ear to ear as a switch on ball screen had him isolated with Jeremy Pargo in the post. He started to use his posterior on the strong, though smaller Pargo. Pargo at the right moment released backwards then blob and down went Diamon. The whistle sounded and the arms rotated indicating traveling. Pagro smiles was different than Errol's at that moment by being bigger. I am not sure what it says that this little move gets communicated across the generation of players at GU, but it is somehow a small gesture of the grandeur of GU basketball.

So, I relate this story at the moment of another tradition, my 1000 post. What stories and traditions do I want to bestow on my fellow posters. Some I have argued with. (No, Abe I will not bring up a certain former Arkansas transfer that plans to play for Butler.) I have shared my thoughts on players, coaches, strategies, teams, and even (God help you all) my poems, but what is most important to highlight in this time of 3 zeros? Ever wonder about our human obsession with zeros? I mean the only thing difference between 49 and 50 is a zero, yet we suddenly think about our deaths. How weird we humans are, but I digress.

It has been fun posting about basketball. But there has been a deeper, more spiritual place about the board. The time I started to post was also during the time of the birth of my son and his medical problems. When we found that we had to go to Seattle Children's Hospital, someone emailed me asking whether he could buy us a coffee. I did not get the message in time as I had not checked my email here (I was a new poster, who would email.) Other posters have offered us tickets to games to help my wife and I keep our minds off our troubles or rejuvenate. I have shared my son being the Poster Child for the Guild school and I did it sinfully in the Men's Basketball section knowing that that were most of the people would see it. The moderators kept there, even though it had nothing what so ever to do with the Men's team. One even donated and challenged the others to donate. For this I am grateful. I have only touch the surface of how this board is more than simply about basketball.

There is a moment that an I becomes a we. I am not aware of how, only that it does. I have a sense that one day that GU will win the National Championship. (Poets are dreamers)on that day, I will remember Brandon Chastain and say a prayer for him. I will also be grateful for all of you who have enrich my life. Since we cheer for a Jesuit school, it best to end with St. Ignatius' Prayer for Generosity:

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.

kyle dixon
04-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I always remember that "pulling out the chair" move on defense by Knight. Nice post Tito. Nice words. So true..

Reborn
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Great post, and congrats on #1000. 3 zeros = awesome.

DADoZAG
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
I always remember that "pulling out the chair" move on defense by Knight. Nice post Tito. Nice words. So true..

The key to Errol’s “pulling out the chair” move was how he “encouraged” it by pulling on the jersey of the eventual violator. I don’t know how many times the replay showed that little tug by Knight, then the violation, its call by the official, and finally Errol’s smile and the opponent’s scowl. Precious…

Love the prayer titopoet, and congrats on the thousandth post. Is there a prayer about tolerance?

My family’s thoughts are with your family and the strength you've portrayed…

Go ZAGS!

titopoet
04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Great post, and congrats on #1000. 3 zeros = awesome.

Thanks, also a few are getting close to the 4 zero range. What will the tradition for the mystical tuning of four zeros? Gamagin it just around the corner.

hooter73
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Dont forget Josh H was a master at pulling the chair. He did that almost as many times as he flopped :)

cjm720
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Great post, Tito. Your post rings true with me too. This board and its collective personalities have become part of my life. I've thought about you and your boy (and various other posters and their lives) randomly on my drive home or at other times. This is a testament to the Gonzaga community and how well the boards are run.

I hope your boy is doing okay and congrats on "3 zeros!"

gamagin
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I see many more zeroes in your future, too.

TheZagPhish
04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I've thought about you and your boy (and various other posters and their lives) randomly on my drive home or at other times.

Me too. Cool.

Best to you and yours, Tito -- and more broadly to our little online tribe here.

Cheers!

PS.
Rep for the Python reference

IrishZagFan
04-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Irish would like to congratulate you and thank you for such a well written post.

Many more zero's to come.....Especially if you want to join the great time waster in the sky known as the Foo......

Multiple times I'll think about something that was posted on this board and just bust out laughing in that "I'm laughing but not willing to discuss what I'm laughing about" type of chuckle.

Awesome quote:
There is a moment that an I becomes a we. I am not aware of how, only that it does.

NotoriousZ
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-srgCSMXIz5g/TZ0WHYiaaeI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/MnsBhwZcvlw/s1600/monty-python-announce.jpg

Awesome post, Tito! My 1,000th could have used several rewrites, but I was anxious to get it out and pressed for time. Not that I'd ever find the eloquence of you and several others here.

Grays--I was saddened by your loss and remember your absence on the 'boards. Having three young children, including a cutie who's almost two, I don't want to think about that kind of loss. God bless.

titopoet
04-19-2012, 06:13 AM
When my wife and I were going through the horrible diagnosis and subsequent passing of our baby girl, I came to the board often, but didn't feel like posting. A big part of me wishes I would have, as I'm sure that I would have gotten some words of encouragement from some of my friends here.

Great 1,000th post by the way.

Just promise me you won't transfer to Oklahoma before 2,000....

Gray, I really don't know what it must have been like.

For me, I do know the worst part of mortality is not my own. I can face my own death. The thought of my wife or son dying is another story, and a pain I could not imagine. I included you in the prayers my family says each night.

Again, I cannot imagine your pain.