PDA

View Full Version : Holy 2013 Bracketology, Batman!

BobZag
04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Zags should do better than a 6 but I'd take it, except I hope to be out west. SMC and BYU should also do better than Joe's early guesses. Joe is drinking the UCLA kool-aid. Pac-12 still somewhat weak, though.

Anyway, it's fun entertainment.

Baldwinzag
04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
agree on all fronts, except Arizona could really surprise some people next season. I predict they'll hit the ground running. 'Zona retained key skill talent at each position and added what they were desperately missing most -- rebounding & big bodied post players. They'll be under the radar, yet easily one of the best in the West for years to come.

Zags will compete for a Top-4 seed next year.

Also, Butler at a 14 seed is a joke. They'll also be vastly improved in 2012-2013. They return 9 of their 10 top scorers/producers, add Rotnei Clarke, and a solid recruiting class as well.

BobZag
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
The WCC is being undervalued a bit by Joey.

Looks like the mighty Huskies and the Cougs with undefeated fans will toil in various Maaco Bowl tourneys. :)

Baldwinzag
04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
If St Mary's schedule improves a bit, they could contend for a much higher seed as well. Losing Rob Jones will hurt, yet they return 4/5 starters, including WCC POY, not to mention former Zag recruit, Chris Reyes can help fill the void. Delly, Page, Holt, Young, Waldow, the really good transfer guard, will all improve. I don't think they'll skip a beat, well, besides taking 2nd place next season :).

BYU will be just as good as they return two kids (Tyler Haws is one), who were studs their frosh seasons off of Missionaries and a solid incoming class, led by Jordan Chatman, WA POY, and a couple transfers. They also return quite a bit with Rodgers & Collingsworth coming off health/knee issues. Brandon Davies, Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Brock Zylstra, Nate Austin all return.

I think both teams will hold serve, BYU could be a better TEAM overall and as long as St Mary's can replace Jones' rebounding, they'll be more than fine once again.

We'll still have to scratch and claw our way to the top again, but I like our chances.

If Karnowski signs, even better.

bullzag23
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Lunardi appears to have gotten at least one thing right. He has GU and SMC matched up against mid-majors in the first(sorry...'second') round. :D

UKWildcatsFan
04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Kentucky played as a 1 seed in Louisville this year and Louisville could play as a 1 seed in Lexington next year. That's kind of interesting.

It's obviously too early to try to make any sense or make predictions based on this bracket, as teams don't even have their rosters set yet.

But seems like a pretty decent draw for Gonzaga to get to the Sweet 16. Michigan should be very tough next year though, but I think that would be a very quality game.

Other things that stick out:
Drexel as an 8 seed (thought Lunardi would have them lower)
UCLA as a 6 seed (would have thought Lunardi would have them higher)
VCU as a 7 seed (thought Lunardi would have them a couple spots away from this)
Murray State as a 12 seed (thought Lunardi would have them higher)

MDABE80
04-16-2012, 12:17 PM
The top 1-3 seeds in all 4 regions are all tough cookies. The new center (Austin) at Baylor looks like a world beater frosh. If we snag a 4 seed, we'd be in rarified air.

Is the declaration deadline gone now? I though there was one about 10 days ago but also there is another coming in late April...I think. Anyone? Any further departures from other teams?

I suspect come voting time, SMC will be picked again to win the WCC. GU and BYU will be mentioned but the champs are the champs untill someone relieves them of the crown. I think our personnel will improve from yrs 1 to 2. Theirs might not make the jump being veterans. (sans Holt). Should be an exciting year. Lockett would matter plenty.