PDA

View Full Version : Official Bench Miguel Olivo thread

gu03alum
04-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Dear Eric Wedge,

Please stop putting Olivo's name on the lineup card everyday. He is terrible at the plate and behind the plate. He has an on base percentage of .135. That's Chone Figgins bad. He does not make up for his woeful hitting behind the plate. He does not block pitches back there. He was so bad that Dave Niehaus nicknamed him the Golden Retriever because he constantly is turning around and retrieving the ball against the backstop.

You guys traded for John Jaso in the offseason. Let's give him a chance and see what a lefthanded hitter who put up a .372 on base percentage 2 years ago can do. He has 4 at bats all season!

I don't think this team can keep up with Texas, but it definitely won't with Olivo behind the plate every day.

Sincerely,

GU03ALUM

PS - Free Shawn Kelley

gu03alum
04-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks Eric. It was nice to see Jaso tonight instead of Olivo and he managed to hit a home run too.

More Jaso and less Olivo.

webspinnre
04-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Lots more Jaso and lots less Olivo please. Look, if he was awesome defensively, great, I could live with that, but he isn't. Bad defensively + bad offensively ought to = less playing time.

gu03alum
04-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Olivo was back in the lineup again last night and went 1 for 4 raising his batting average to .125.

Jaso! Jaso! Jaso!

gu03alum
04-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Olivo starts again stinks again.

From Jeff Sullivan on Lookoutlanding.com (http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2012/4/19/2961849/seattle-mariners-cleveland-indians-felix-hernandez)

There's a part of me that wants to blame Miguel Olivo. It's not a fair part, or a rational part, and I don't want to give that part too much time at the keyboard. But Olivo didn't only ground into a critical double play with a runner on third. In the ninth, Olivo couldn't frame some Brandon League fastballs that looked like they could've been strikes. I never really notice catcher pitch-framing, and I don't know if it's fair that I noticed tonight, but I noticed tonight, and some iffy calls went against League at the worst possible time. I know I'm being too critical of Olivo. If I admit it I'm pretty sure that makes it okay.

From Shannon Drayer's blog (http://mynorthwest.com/category/mariners_blog/):

“Miggy is our starting catcher, Jesus is going to get time as well, it is going to be tough to get Jaso back there,” he said. “Not that I am against it but right now I feel like I need to give the time to Miggy and Jesus. I still want to get Jaso’s bat in the lineup from time to time if I can so that is what we are trying to do.”

Wedgie, can I call you Wedgie, have you not learned anything from my previous posts. Miguel Olivo is not good at catching or hitting. I don't know what his intangibles are, but there is no way they make up for how bad he is at hitting and catching.

gu03alum
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Matthew on Lookout Landing has a great blog post about the idiotic reasons that Eric Wedge gives for why he continues to play a terrible Miguel Olivo.

Fire Eric Wedge (http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2012/4/26/2977258/fire-eric-wedge)

He pulls quotes from a Geoff Baker story about Wedge serving notice to Figgins. Eric Wedge serves notice (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2018075960_mariners_manager_eric_wedge_se.html)

gu03alum
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
fixed :cheers:

I'm not exactly worried about a 6-13 Angels team that continues to have Tori Hunter and Vernon Wells take at bats away from Mike Trout.

webspinnre
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, that too. Clearly superior player, hurting their team having him down. I guess service time, but still...

gu03alum
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
A Seattle fan not worried about the Angels? That's a joke, right?

Tori Hunter Vernon Wells taking ABs away from Trout. Big deal.

CJ Wilson
Dan Haren
Jarrod Weaver
Albert Pujols

They'll be just fine.

It's amazing when you are so quick to call other homers when you have the fan blinders on for the Angels.

Jarrod Weaver is a good, but not great pitcher. He benefits a lot from pitching in Anaheim.

Link (http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/3/21/2889028/jered-weaver-angels-stats)

Dan Haren is a very good pitcher and his stuff translates everywhere. CJ Wilson is a decent number 3, but there's a reason the Rangers didn't need him back. He got way overpaid by the Angels for what he is. What he is not is an ace. Albert Pujols was in decline last year and it's only going to get magnified hitting in that park in the American League West which has way better pitching than the NL Central.

They are already 9 games out of first. It's not impossible to make up that ground, but it's not going to be easy against Texas. I have a hard time believing they'll even get one of the wild cards this year. That lineup is atrocious. There is only one regular who I would consider above average at the plate (Pujols and maybe Kendrick).

Take off your homer glasses. The Angels are not very good and are poorly managed. See: Vernon Wells for Napoli trade and best player on the team playing in AAA

webspinnre
04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
While I agree that the Angels have some issues to address, I disagree that their roster isn't in significantly better shape than the Ms. King Felix is better than any of their pitchers, but their next 3 are all better than anything else on our staff, by a pretty significant margin. Pujols might be in "decline" but he's still way better than any hitter we have.

gu03alum
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Your Angels just lost again.

gu03alum
04-28-2012, 04:34 AM
"My Angels." Ok.

Care to make a bet who will be ahead of who in the standings after all 162?

I have a feeling the Angels will be ahead of the Tacoma Rainers.

I never said that the Mariners were better than the Angels. What I did say is that the Mariners will not be able to keep up with the Rangers. I think the Mariners can stay relatively close to the Angels especially if any of the big three pitching prospects comes up this year. The Angels were horribly overrated this offseason due to their sexy signings. Look at the facts. They have a good rotation, but the bullpen and the lineup are not good. With their start (yes, April games count too) I don't see how they can win much more than 85 games (.556 winning percentage the rest of the season). I think the Mariners will be a 75 to 80 win team.

Eroop22
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
"My Angels." Ok.

Care to make a bet who will be ahead of who in the standings after all 162?

I have a feeling the Angels will be ahead of the Tacoma Rainers.

At least you could do is spell Rainiers correctly. Just curious at what point do you start worrying about Pujols? I am pretty sure 0 HR, 4 RBI, and a .216 avg isn't the type of numbers the Angels expected.

gu03alum
04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
At least you could do is spell Rainiers correctly. Just curious at what point do you start worrying about Pujols? I am pretty sure 0 HR, 4 RBI, and a .216 avg isn't the type of numbers the Angels expected.

I know fantasy is way different than real life and that the Angels are stuck with Pujols for 10 years. I own Pujols in a fantasy league and I am going to give him until the end of May and see if I can flip him for pennies on the dollar. Obviously, the Angels won't have that luxury so I think they will continue to play him every day in the hopes that he turns it around. If he puts up an Adam Dunn season (the one he had last year) there will be a lot of Angels fans quietly placing their Angels gear in the closet and pulling out the Dodgers gear.

sittingon50
04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, I guess that's one way to do it, alum.

gu03alum
05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Well, I guess that's one way to do it, alum.

It's kind of sad that it happened when he was actually hitting the ball pretty decent over the last week.

Here's a nice blog post from Dave Cameron at USSMariner (http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/04/30/olivo-injury-should-forces-roster-decisions/)about what options the M's have to replace him and which they should choose. Basically, he says they need to decide between Quiroz or Carp. He hopes they bring up Carp and allow Jaso to get regular playing time behind the plate.