• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zig-Zag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Dec 2010

Monninghoff

Monninghoff will be next to announce transfer, will be lots of scholarships open but still liminted playing time for some.
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

To be expected I suppose. SO now MM. Keita, Rob, Carter, Ryan....gone with no new faces right now. 5 spots open. I hope Few is judicious with these schollies. Get the right kids. Seems like we have an experiment ongoing. At lease Keita and MM had two years to show their skills. We can do better.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Not questioning the factuality of the transfer, but are you able to give us a little more to go on?

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Not really LMU. It was bound to happen. I think MM and Keta will be frontline players somewhere. MM's pending departure kinda bugs me more. Such a good athlete and such a good pretty and effective shooter. Seems lik ehe had a role. Perhaps GU wasn't likely to fulfill MM's goals. He did put those 3's up when Few needed one. I like MM. Few must have something in mind. I hope he does anyway. Maybe Lockett?

Maybe, in some cases, the postion by some number doesn't matter...the player does.
        Few must think Edi, Lockett, Hart will contribute more. Or maybe there's some phenom out there. I don't know of any......

Seems like the college game is drifting from years of steady committment to a kid. I don't like to see it. Gives the coaches the opportunity too much latitude ....but since Calipari and others have the obvious flexibility to replace everyone on a yearly basis, it kinda looks like either the NCAA steps in (they won't) or it just goes on. All other high end competitive programs likely must (must they really?) follow suit. I don't like it.

If MM leaves, I do wish him the best future he can find. Good kid.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
          Seems like the college game is drifting from years of steady committment to a kid. I don't like to see it. Gives the coaches the opportunity too much latitude ....but since Calipari and others have the obvious flexibility to replace everyone on a yearly basis, it kinda looks like either the NCAA steps in (they won't) or it just goes on. All other high end competitive programs likely must (must they really?) follow suit. I don't like it.

I don't like it either but the other "Bulldogs" showed that a core of upperclassmen who stayed with the same philosophy and program for 4 years, can take those high end teams out. Raw, gut wrenching passion and hustle with a commitment to iron clad fundamentals at a furious pace is how they got to the finals. Five 18 and 19 year old kids no matter how athletic they are individually, can't handle superior fundamental teamwork and chemistry of 5 lesser athletes.
          “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• tyra
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I see it differently

It seems to me that the only alternative to the trend toward more transfers is that you originally recruit players whom you know will not get a lot of playing time and you tell them that. I'm not sure where that leaves a team. But as it is, the coaches recruit the best players they can and no doubt tell them they will have their shot at PT. when they don't earn it here, they want to try elsewhere. What is wrong with that? Who can blame them? Coach Few (and almost all coaches) limit significant PT to 8 or 9 players. That is going to leave 4 or 5 players out. Period! Then they look elsewhere. I just don't understand why this is so painful every time it occurs. I don't like seeing some players leave either (especially Spangler!) but it seems inevitable to me in this day and age.

Comment

• tobizag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
              Five 18 and 19 year old kids no matter how athletic they are individually, can't handle superior fundamental teamwork and chemistry of 5 lesser athletes.
              right that's why Wichita state won the title this year and Kentucky flamed out. what tournament did you watch?
              sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• kclubfounder
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2007

To be expected I suppose. SO now MM. Keita, Rob, Carter, Ryan....gone with no new faces right now. 5 spots open. I hope Few is judicious with these schollies. Get the right kids. Seems like we have an experiment ongoing. At lease Keita and MM had two years to show their skills. We can do better.
                No new faces? 5 spots open? 5 are gone from last year's suited players. We have Kelly Olynyk and Kyle Dranginis definitely joining, perhaps Sarbaugh, and I've heard of a big guy from somewhere in the former USSR. That leaves 1, or maybe 2 spots to fill.

Give me a break. Don't be so melodramatic.

Comment

• kclubfounder
                  Zag for Life
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by tyra View Post
                  It seems to me that the only alternative to the trend toward more transfers is that you originally recruit players whom you know will not get a lot of playing time and you tell them that. I'm not sure where that leaves a team. But as it is, the coaches recruit the best players they can and no doubt tell them they will have their shot at PT. when they don't earn it here, they want to try elsewhere. What is wrong with that? Who can blame them? Coach Few (and almost all coaches) limit significant PT to 8 or 9 players. That is going to leave 4 or 5 players out. Period! Then they look elsewhere. I just don't understand why this is so painful every time it occurs. I don't like seeing some players leave either (especially Spangler!) but it seems inevitable to me in this day and age.
                  Bingo!

Spangler is the 1st transfer I can recall that really bothered me. And it happened because of home-sickness (and perhaps the question in his head of whether or not he chose the right sport).

Comment

• DADoZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2009

It was bound to happen. I think MM and Keta will be frontline players somewhere.

+1

Some of us thought it was a possibility when they signed on. If you're a kid playing in Europe or Canada or Maine and a school that you've watched several times on TV offers, who the heck would blame you for taking a shot?

Maybe you when the lottery and find yourself in the starting rotation, maybe you don't.

But at least you gave it a shot and perhaps another school can use your talents.

Go ZAGS!
                    Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kclubfounder View Post
                      No new faces? 5 spots open? 5 are gone from last year's suited players. We have Kelly Olynyk and Kyle Dranginis definitely joining, perhaps Sarbaugh, and I've heard of a big guy from somewhere in the former USSR. That leaves 1, or maybe 2 spots to fill.

Give me a break. Don't be so melodramatic.
                      KO And Kyle were already on full schollies. We do have 5 spaces to fill......if you count. Chris is a walk on w.out a schollie. Count much? No drama here KC...it's just the way it is.

Comment

• Worthington
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Aug 2011

Can't blame him, always thought he had a lot of potential, but I think all he could hope for here is to play about 20 minutes in his senior year. Not a good enough reason to make him stay put. I think he's going to end up being a big contributor for another school. Good luck to him wherever he lands!

Comment

• kclubfounder
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2007

KO And Kyle were already on full schollies. We do have 5 spaces to fill......if you count. Chris is a walk on w.out a schollie. Count much? No drama here KC...it's just the way it is.
                          Fair enough, but you can only "suit" so many players, and we are NOT hurting in that department - in my humble opinion

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The staff needs to pick better in the beginning. Tyra's correct on this. Ryan Spangler leaving us is a VERY big deal. Gatorade POY is a rare find for the program. Something tells me that the staff must become more skillful in their observations when recruiting. Right now, we have far too many kids moving to other programs. UK sends em to the NBA....we send them to other programs for development and a better chance. Something about that............not quite sits well IMHO. How can we recruit in the US when so many kids go home and obviously won't say great things about the program?

Just appears something's wrong. Could me me though.....I'm not "modern".
                            Last edited by MDABE80; 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM. Reason: mmmmm

Comment

• BobZag
                              Dark Lord of the Zag
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by kclubfounder View Post
                              No new faces? 5 spots open? 5 are gone from last year's suited players. We have Kelly Olynyk and Kyle Dranginis definitely joining, perhaps Sarbaugh, and I've heard of a big guy from somewhere in the former USSR.
                              Poland wasn't in the USSR.
                              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

Working...
                              X