PDA

View Full Version : Elias Harris

ezcure17
04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
So...has anyone heard anything?? Today is the deadline and it's nothing but quiet!!! Isn't anyone worried at all?? Really hope E stays for his SR season..it will be a special one!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
No news is good news.

hooter73
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Not worried one bit :cheers:

Ezag
04-10-2012, 07:55 AM
No news is good news.

+1

webspinnre
04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
No news is good news.

+2

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Please don't kill me for this, but I keep thinking that, as much as I would miss him, him leaving would certainly clear up the log jam with our bigs. If Elias does return and the Big Pole does indeed enroll, I can't see how Ryan wouldn't redshirt ( which, in my opinion would be great for him and the team).

CDC84
04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
He never was going.

DADoZAG
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
He never was going.

I'm of the same opinion, but perhaps you have something to support it?

Go ZAGS!

gu03alum
04-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Please don't kill me for this, but I keep thinking that, as much as I would miss him, him leaving would certainly clear up the log jam with our bigs. If Elias does return and the Big Pole does indeed enroll, I can't see how Ryan wouldn't redshirt ( which, in my opinion would be great for him and the team).

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Elias is a very important part of the team. He is the only big, in my opinion, that can take over a game both with his offense and his rebounding. I'm glad he's coming back and I look forward to him putting together a dominant season next year.

ZagsObserver
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Elias is a very important part of the team. He is the only big, in my opinion, that can take over a game both with his offense and his rebounding. I'm glad he's coming back and I look forward to him putting together a dominant season next year.

Yep. He's gonzaga's biggest star and X-factor. Best rebounder on the team, and can create his own shot better than any other returning GU player IMO. He will be huge for gonzaga next year

Zagdawg
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
+1

Baldwinzag
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Is Elias in the running -- w/a solid Sr. campaign -- for the all-time leading scorer at Gonzaga?

I know he broke, and still holds the Freshman scoring record, yet what about overall?

If not for scoring, is he Top-5 for career double-doubles? I believe he has 23 in his GU career...

ZagsObserver
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Is Elias in the running -- w/a solid Sr. campaign -- for the all-time leading scorer at Gonzaga?

I know he broke, and still holds the Freshman scoring record, yet what about overall?

If not for scoring, is he Top-5 for career double-doubles? I believe he has 23 in his GU career...

Harris currently has 1362 points. Burgess has the record at 2196. Harris won't reach that, but he has a legit shot at passing 2nd place Jim McPhee at 2015 if he averages over 20 a game for the season or GU makes a deep run in the tourney, and a good shot at passing Morrison's 1867 total (which he did in 3 remarkable seasons) for third on the all-time record sheet. Go Harris. He could also rise to the top few spots in rebounding as well. I think he's currently around 6th place.

KStyles
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

By my calculations, he has 1,362 through 3 years, which is 834 points behind Frank Burgess (2,196). Another 433 points next season (as he had this year) would put him 5th all-time, 15 behind Santangelo (1,810) and 72 behind Morrison (1,867). With a solid season, he could very well slide into 3rd behind Jim McPhee (2,015). I don't see him passing McPhee, but who knows.

CDC84
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Elias is a smart kid :)

ZagsObserver
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
As for rebounds, he currently has 726 for 7th on the all time list. Lechman is in 2nd at 910, and jerry V. is at the pinnacle with 1670. Harris will likely be top 3 in pts and boards all-time if he stays. Impressive.

UberZagFan
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Go ZAGS!

Maybe the fact that not one mock draft lists him in the first or second rounds...not that that is the end all but is very telling.

Considering the discussion in the 3 and done thread, it's interesting to wonder whether Harris made the correct decision in sticking around. Following his freshman year, many mocks had him going in the first round--in fact, pretty sure it was draftexpress that had him in the first rounds in '11 and '12--now, he's no where to be found.

Sure, two more years of college ball made Harris a better all around player (certainly on the defensive end) but it's also exposed his ceiling and potential.

UberZagFan
04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Interesting read:

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=25253

MickMick
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
He never was going.

When folks kept perpetuating the notion this board lost some credibility.

hooter73
04-10-2012, 11:52 AM
He could have gone after his freshman season. He couldnt have after his Sophmore season. After his junior season he saw what he and this team could be with him on as a senior.

Im not saying we are nothing without him next year but with him (and a real wing) we are a legit top 15 team and can play and win against just about anyone in the country.

bigs playing time will work itself out, people including me need to get over it.

DADoZAG
04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

With all due respect, MickMick, how does this board lose credibility by "perpetuating the notion..." of Es early departure?

I can agree with CDC84 that E is smart. From the fact that he avoided being paid while still playing in Europe, one could determine he seems to plan his future well. From what has been reported on the Mark Few show, he's organized. Uber pointed out how poorly the mock drafters were treating him.

But the reason I asked my original question was because I hadn't heard or read anything definitive from E himself. From everything Ive seen, he seemed to leave the question open whenever asked.

As said in my first post, my opinion is that hes not leaving, and I think the first time I posted that opinion was pre-season. But it would seem to me that by not putting words in Es mouth, this board stays credible. Or am I missing your meaning?

Go ZAGS!

cggonzaga
04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
we are a legit top 15 team and can play and win against just about anyone in the country.

With E and the current roster I'd say we're top 10. With E and the current roster including Trent Lockett we're top 5. With E and the current roster plus another small forward not named Lockett we're still just top 10. Just my opinion.

U Zig, I Zag
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM

I didn't know we had much credibility. Not being disingenuous - I just really view this board is a hodgepodge of fans. Not much more than that. Obviously some folks have more insider information but even that has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Dirt McGirt
04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I know how much I would want him to stay if I was a Gonzaga fan, but looking at the situation from the outside I think staying wouldn't be that smart. I see him being great next year, but not doing enough to make the NBA. He is already old for a college player. There are only so many money making years in a professional basketball career. If he can make 6 figures in Europe (and maybe that's all he ever makes) each year is important. Delaying it one more year is one less year of a big salary. For the competitiveness of your team, I hope he comes back, but if I was advising him, he'd be gone.

BMAN
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanCBSReply
Retweet

Favorite
Open

Gonzaga's Elias Harris likely to let tonight's NCAA deadline pass, source told CBSSports. Still chance he could declare before NBA deadline.

My understanding is that the NBA deadline is April 29th

NotoriousZ
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I know how much I would want him to stay if I was a Gonzaga fan, but looking at the situation from the outside I think staying wouldn't be that smart. I see him being great next year, but not doing enough to make the NBA. He is already old for a college player. There are only so many money making years in a professional basketball career. If he can make 6 figures in Europe (and maybe that's all he ever makes) each year is important. Delaying it one more year is one less year of a big salary. For the competitiveness of your team, I hope he comes back, but if I was advising him, he'd be gone.

The team that drafts him will get him in his prime. He could be a steal of a deal for an NBA team next year.

sittingon50
04-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Dirt? GU was the school that really pushed to get BYU into the WCC for the sole purpose of allowing Elias to relax about being the old guy.

lawprof99
04-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Good news for Jim McPhee is that even if Elias does pass him up is that Jim has a good day job. Bad news is that Judge Burgess set his record in the days before four years of varsity eligibility and the three point line. (Jim had five years due to an injury redshirt. Which Jim points out. And as Jim loves to also point out, the second leading scorer at GU basketball - female. Guess which one?

awberke
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Good news for Jim McPhee is that even if Elias does pass him up is that Jim has a good day job. Bad news is that Judge Burgess set his record in the days before four years of varsity eligibility and the three point line. (Jim had five years due to an injury redshirt. Which Jim points out. And as Jim loves to also point out, the second leading scorer at GU basketball - female. Guess which one?

I would guess Heather Bowman.

gamagin
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
good news for jim mcphee is that even if elias does pass him up is that jim has a good day job. Bad news is that judge burgess set his record in the days before four years of varsity eligibility and the three point line. (jim had five years due to an injury redshirt. Which jim points out. And as jim loves to also point out, the second leading scorer at gu basketball - female. Guess which one?

all time.

mystery lady Zag: Courtney Vandersloot

lawprof99
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Cortney of course. And much better looking than Jim McPhee. Which is probably a sexist comment, but I practice law with him.

BobZag
04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Zags won't lose Elias. Will have four bigs after Karnowski comes. Four.

Yes, Courtney is nicer to look at than Jim. :)

cjm720
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Yes, Courtney is nicer to look at than Jim. :)

Well this sucks, except the part about Harris and Karn. Sucks

zagfan07
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Dower
Olynyk
Harris
Spangler
Karnowski

One of these things does not belong...

Is that what you're saying?

Kiddwell
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Dower
Olynyk
Harris
Spangler
Karnowski

One of these things does not belong...

Is that what you're saying?

4 + 1 = 5. That is confusing. BZ? Care to clarify? (Someone redshirting?)

:[

JAGzag
04-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Uh-oh, sure hope the Spangler rumors aren't true!

ZagsObserver
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Me hopes you're referring to a redshirt scenario

SteelZag
04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
So, if there are only four bigs counting Karnowski, that would possibly indicate that Spangler is going to transfer. If Karnowski comes, finds out he won't get as much playing time as desired and reshirts, how many bigs does that leave us with? Higher math gives me a headache.

Malastein
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Umm... Kelly Olynyk or Elias Harris playing small forward?

ZagsObserver
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
GU has had some if it's best luck developing bigs like Spangler. Just a great fit for the program. I don't feel the same way about a lot of the band-aids the coaches bring in, and I hope that isn't s factor in this case

ZagaZags
04-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I have been fine with the transfers we have had over the years. But if we lose Spangler i will be pissed. And im sure i wont be the only Zag fan to think that.

cjm720
04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I have been fine with the transfers we have had over the years. But if we lose Spangler i will be pissed. And im sure i wont be the only Zag fan to think that.

You aren't.

Therunner
04-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Brace yourself, Zaga.

:(

SteelZag
04-10-2012, 09:12 PM
It's a good thing BZ posted after 7:00PM when most people are asleep or the board may have suffered a meltdown!

Pure
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Say it ain't soooooo. :fingergun::fingergun::fingergun:

raise the zag
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Say it ain't soooooo. :fingergun::fingergun::fingergun:

Let's just say this...Spangler knew Elias was staying before we did. That is all.

ZagaZags
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
What you meant by having 4 brigs after Karkowski joins. Before we have another 5 page Spangler meltdown.:confused:

ZagaZags
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
This kindle is hard to type on.

spike_jr
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM

+1...... VERY PISSED. Winning is a lot easier when you have guys that not only love to do the dirty work, but are very good at it!

Zagdawg
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I am happy for him to be close to his family--but sad for the program.

He will be missed--but he has to do what is right for him and his family.

cggonzaga
04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I liked Ryan's game but was not as enamored with it as most on here. I wish him the best and believe he'll be a solid if unspectacular player at OU. Clearly the staff believes Karnowski is the real deal which has me kind of excited for his arrival now.

awberke
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Everyone saying Courtney is wrong btw, unless i misunderstood the question. Heather Bowman had 2165, CV had 2073.

ZagaZags
04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Sounds like Ryan is gone. Sad day. I am pissed ( not at Ryan ) but this really sucks. I wish him well. Once a Zag always a Zag. This is going to be very painful. Now if Monninghoff leaves we will be down to 7 scholarship players. Pangos, Bell, Edi, Dower, Harris, KO and Dranginis. And 3 walk on players Stockton, Hart and Sarbaugh.

hooter73
04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Sounds like Ryan is gone. Sad day. I am pissed ( not at Ryan ) but this really sucks. I wish him well. Once a Zag always a Zag. This is going to be very painful. Now if Monninghoff leaves we will be down to 7 scholarship players. Pangos, Bell, Edi, Dower, Harris, KO and Dranginis. And 3 walk on players Stockton, Hart and Sarbaugh.

Those three walk ons could start on most WCC or PAC conference teams...

but yes, possibly losing so much simply blows.

awberke
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Those three walk ons could start on most WCC or PAC conference teams...

but yes, possibly losing so much simply blows.

Ha!

hooter73
04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Ha!

Hart is/was already a starter for us. Everyone has already discounted Sarbarough because he is a lowly walk on and Stockton besides starting for us here and there could always see major minutes in lesser programs

EWU, Pacific, San Fran, SCU... it could happen.

Hextall7388
04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Back to the topic of this thread...

Andy Katz is reporting that EH will be returning for another year at Gonzaga in his article "Returning underclassmen and their impact".

Elias Harris has had multiple opportunities to go overseas and play. But he has stayed loyal to Gonzaga. And that commitment has paid off in the form of a consistent winner. The Zags will be the WCC favorites and one of the best teams in the West again.

Very good news!

zagfan07
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Back to the topic of this thread...

Andy Katz is reporting that EH will be returning for another year at Gonzaga in his article "Returning underclassmen and their impact".

Elias Harris has had multiple opportunities to go overseas and play. But he has stayed loyal to Gonzaga. And that commitment has paid off in the form of a consistent winner. The Zags will be the WCC favorites and one of the best teams in the West again.

Very good news!

Link:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7799901/players-returning-means-their-teams

Remember your 4th grade research papers? Always site your sources :D

Baldwinzag
04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm an Elias homer.

He is one cool cat. A unique fellow, who I'd love to have the opportunity to meet.

I appreciate his loyalty and straight off-the-cuff, no BS approach to the media, coaches, and fans.

I've heard he's a Coaches' dream. While he's a bit of independent type, he is a leader and is known to get on his teammates if they're dogging it in practice or make a mistake on the court.

Sam Dower even calls him "Coach E" on occasion and credits Elias for his maturation on the court. Ever notice Harris having private 'convos' with players, especially the newbies, during games? Awesome.

He keeps to himself for the most part, but also known to have a great sense of dry humor from what I hear.

Elias makes us so much better its not even funny. He is a HUGE piece to the puzzle. Imagine what or where we would have been if not for Elias is some of the biggest games on the biggest stage. He's clutch. A baller. A good person.

I can't wait to watch him open up his perimeter game even more. He's one of the best shooters on this team and hope he's able to explore the pick 'n pop and mid-range a bit more next season. We all know his one-on-one defense must continue to improve, but he could have a giant year. Excited he'll be our Senior leader.

He'll have different approach than Rob, but just as effective. No non-sense when it counts. Stay focused.

Just a great Zag and feel grateful to have another season to watch him play in uniform.

While one exits for personal reasons, one stays for the same. Not too shabby.

Go E! Go Zags!

awberke
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
This is really the news of the day. Elias improved his rebounding last season and showed that he could really take over games. I look forward to him being more consistent and putting up big numbers.

gamagin
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
This is really the news of the day. Elias improved his rebounding last season and showed that he could really take over games. I look forward to him being more consistent and putting up big numbers.

he came to GU to develop his game. It is working. This has got to be a good message for other overseas prospects, too.

bballbeachbum
04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
lots of news out there for sure

E was last year's most consistent performer, yes? and with the others around him expected to display more consistency next year, that should be good for him. He showed improvement last year

dnj116
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Slipper Still Fits ‏ @slipperstillfit
Uh oh. RT @ChristopheEPcom @GoodmanCBS He is rumored to sign as pro in Germany MT @GoodmanCBS: Gonzaga's Elias Harris will be back next year

Rumorville . . .

GoGU
04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Rumorville . . .

Don't panic, or the board will literally explode.

All signs (until this tweet) have said that he is coming back

dnj116
04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Not in panic mode, merely the messenger of the messenger of the messenger (or however that works with reporting on a message board of a retweet). And yes, all signs have said that he is coming back, but that tweet was in response to cbs saying he'd be coming back. Not sure where the info came from, or what, but it is out there. May not yet be a done deal that he is coming back. Time will tell.

hooter73
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
there is no reason for him to go pro in Germany when he can finish his degree here and go straight to the NBA.

ZagsObserver
04-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Would Spangler have left if he knew Harris was going pro? Interesting question, and could be a double hit to the Zags. Please stay Harris!

Vanzagger
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
E is concentrating on next year's Zag team. We are blessed to have this Senior leadership.

bullzag23
04-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Would Spangler have left if he knew Harris was going pro? Interesting question, and could be a double hit to the Zags. Please stay Harris!

Spangler himself said he wanted to be closer to home. Elias leaving early helps him get closer to home how, exactly?

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Slipper Still Fits ‏ @slipperstillfit (http://twitter.com/#!/slipperstillfit)
To ease your Monday a little bit, we are hearing that Elias signing in Germany is a big time longshot. Not worth getting riled up over.

SSF is a great follow on the twitter machine, BTW. Check 'em out.

GoGU
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Dons Central picked up the rumor. They were expecting a complete meltdown on GU Boards.

T minus 10 9 8 7 6
Posted by JoTe on 4/30/2012, 11:09 am, in reply to "Harris turning pro in Germany??"

Before meltdown on the GU board.

Successfully avoided.

Now let's go get tacos.

MDABE80
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
NO matter what you all might think, Elias needs a 4th year. He'll be a monster this year. It's all on the line for him and he knows it. He's had some very good years..ie 1 and 3. Not enough though. He'll be here. Still needs to show some things. Simply put he's not ready for the big time money.