PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz: Top 25 for 2012-13

ZagNative
04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
From ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7767401/indiana-hoosiers-continue-moving-2012-13).

19. Gonzaga

The Bulldogs lose Robert Sacre, but if Elias Harris returns -- and he should -- the Bulldogs once again will be the preseason favorite in the WCC and one of the best teams in the West. Gary Bell Jr., Kevin Pangos and David Stockton form one of the top perimeters in the region. Sam Dower will only get better as a possible difference-maker. Gonzaga had a poor matchup with Ohio State, but was still within a few possessions to knock off the eventual Final Four team. The Zags will contine to roll on.

CanadianZagFan
04-03-2012, 03:17 AM
While there are some other players worth mentioning, I think he nailed it in his short blurb.

KOzag08
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I actually really like us at 19 preseason. We usually come in overrated. I think last year we were at 11?

gozagswoohoo
04-03-2012, 07:14 AM
WOOHOO!!!

LET'S DO THIS

So okay, when does the season start? April, May, June, July, August, September, October.....

AWWWWW MAN!!

IrishZagFan
04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
WOOHOO!!!

LET'S DO THIS

So okay, when does the season start? April, May, June, July, August, September, October.....

AWWWWW MAN!!

Enjoy the summer WooHoo! Irish is going too!

CDC84
04-03-2012, 07:52 AM
As usual, these rankings mean nothing until the NBA draft decisions are made and transferring players choose their new schools. If Gonzaga lands Lockett, they will be better than #19.

If Davis, Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb and Teague bolt, there is no way UK is going to be at #4. They would have a point guard in Ryan Harrow who just started a few games at NC State his freshman year, no key returning players besides Wiltjer, and even if they land Shabaaz, no incoming recruits at the level of Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist.

Goshzagit
04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
As usual, these rankings mean nothing until the NBA draft decisions are made and transferring players choose their new schools.

If Davis, Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb and Teague bolt, there is no way UK is going to be at #4. They would have a point guard in Ryan Harrow who just started a few games at NC State his freshman year, no key returning players besides Wiltjer, and even if they land Shabaaz, no incoming recruits at the level of Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist.

I dunno, CDC.

Kentucky will re-load. I think they'll be Top 5 worthy again. Currently, several Top-10 guys still have UK high on their list and rumored to be headed to Lexington.

Players such as Nerlens Noel, the #1 overall prospect & Center(in the last decade), Shabazz Muhammad, Anthony Bennett, Amile Jefferson are all rated #1 or #2 at their respective position and UK is still in their Top-2.

In addition, Ryan Harrow was a Top-20, 5* PG out of HS and averaged over 9ppg, 3+ apg as a true-frosh in the ACC. He's sat out a year and will only be better.

Wiltjer will return, Teague may return, and Terrence Jones is quietly 50-50.

While I agree the incoming class isn't as strong as last season, at least not yet, their 2012 recruits are still purdy good:

Alex Poythress, PF; Archie Goodwin, SG; Willie Cauley, C; are all Top-30 players.

Kentucky is expected to sign at least two more players/recruits after Gilchrist & Davis declare, and most likely a couple more.

If they end up recruiting two of the players mentioned above, they may be the #1 team again, especially if Anthony Bennett or Nerlens Noel head their way, b/c those guys are instant impact players for most NBA teams. Shabazz too, yet he's expected to stay in the West or mid-West.

I have a feeling they'll get their guys...and if they do, I'd say even higher than #4.

awberke
04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
It's very evident from anything that Andy says about GU that he is simply a fan. It might as well be one of us writing that blurb.

Colbyspapa
04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
As usual, these rankings mean nothing until the NBA draft decisions are made and transferring players choose their new schools. If Gonzaga lands Lockett, they will be better than #19.

They already have the #2 top recruiting class in the nation by Scout.com. They have signed 5star SF Alex Poythress, 5star SG Archie Goodwin, and 4Star C Willie Cauley. They will jump up to #1 when Shabazz signs with them. At that point, anyone can play point guard for them. They may win the NC again next year.

Colbyspapa
04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
BTW, Teague and Jones are gone. KY may have 4 kids in the lottery this year.

CDC84
04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
It's hard to imagine T-Jones and Teague coming back for Kentucky. Their stock is soaring right now. But who knows.

I think some people are missing the point. I think Lamb, Miller and Jones deciding to come back to UK was the number one reason why they won the national title last night. As great as Davis and MKG were, they needed elite returning, experienced players to do it.

The Wildcats are going to be far more reliant on freshmen next year than this year. I like Wiltjer a lot, but he's not and never will be T-Jones. I just can't imagine them being as good unless some guys unexpectedly return. No one they have signed or will sign is like an Anthony Davis or John Wall.

But yes, the talent alone will make them a threat to go deep in March. They just won't be as good.

MDABE80
04-03-2012, 08:57 AM
But but but...UK has Wiltjer!!! ;)

Goshzagit
04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
OT: after seeing Wiltjer on TV last night, he's gotta be the youngest looking 19 yr old I've ever seen...the kid looks like a 6'9", 220lb 12 yr old in a Kentucky uniform. Not meant as a slight, but a fact. Kyle makes David Stockton look like he's over the hill.

BobZag
04-03-2012, 09:04 AM
They already have the #2 top recruiting class in the nation by Scout.com. They have signed 5star SF Alex Poythress, 5star SG Archie Goodwin, and 4Star C Willie Cauley. They will jump up to #1 when Shabazz signs with them. At that point, anyone can play point guard for them. They may win the NC again next year.

No Anthony Davises in that group. He separated UK from previous UK teams.

CDC84
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Davis is a once in a generation player. I may not see a freshman final four MOP and national player of the year for the rest of my lifetime.

Goshzagit
04-03-2012, 09:11 AM
No Anthony Davises in that group. He separated UK from previous UK teams.

The Anthony Davis story is amazing. A highly-rated 6'2" PG before his Junior season who became an even higher-rated 6'10" PF by the end of the same season.

He grew 8" in a year!! That is great.

You can tell with how fluid he moves with the ball and isn't afraid to dribble up court. Being a PG for many years helped him understand the game and players from multiple angles. The kid just "gets it". A flat-out baller, with a high motor, excellent length, smooth, and the effort/willingness is there...

He's going to be an All-Star caliber PF at the next level and is reportedly STILL growing a bit.

A once-a-decade type of talent, who has only been playing his position for barely 3 seasons. Scary ceiling, imo.

He was the difference and X-factor in every close game for UK this year. If he wasn't scoring, his 15 rebs & 5 blocks helped them tremendously.

While I don't think Kentucky will skip a beat, they'll definitely miss his presence and play.

The kid works hard too...a pleasure to watch.

webspinnre
04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
The best thing about Davis is that he seems to actually enjoy/relish playing defense.

awberke
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
The best thing about Davis is that he seems to actually enjoy/relish playing defense.

Ya, he better knock that crap out if he wants to play in the NBA.

MDABE80
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
He's just a great kid and a better player. I did think Kevin Durant was one of those special kid too though. Davis is at his best on defense though...1-10 from the field last night but those blocked shots, 16 boards and his man defense overshadowed the scoring. Hardly even noticed. It'll be fun to follow him in the NBA.
Note to staff: Find us one of those types.

Coach Crazy
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
He's just a great kid and a better player. I did think Kevin Durant was one of those special kid too though. Davis is at his best on defense though...1-10 from the field last night but those blocked shots, 16 boards and his man defense overshadowed the scoring. Hardly even noticed. It'll be fun to follow him in the NBA.

It's almost like we have to continue progressing as a program to find/attract one of those types?! ;)

cjm720
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Davis is a once in a generation player. I may not see a freshman final four MOP and national player of the year for the rest of my lifetime.

Only 2 freshmen MOP and 4 Naismith Award winners, ever.

Unbelievable talent and quite humble too.

gamagin
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
One of the talking heads said he attended a charter school and that school played something like two games and lost them both, by something like 11 points. Either that or they lost two games by that margin.

The conversation was along those lines as they were talking all the things he did during this game while still not being able to score. And still being the best athlete on the floor. etc etc

Watching the game made me think KU should have put a big, stronger body, on him and never let him reach half court. going both ways. Whenever possible. If possible. Because he got boxed out just about every time they wanted him boxed out, but still had an amazing ability to pluck the ball from the air. Or time a block just right.

Robzagnut
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Both Fox and ESPN had Steve Kerr on the radio this morning while I drove to work. Cowherd asked about Davis and his NBA potential. Kerr said, "MVP of the league in 4-5 years. He's built and plays like Kevin Garnett, is still growing, but has better ball handling skills, is already better in transition and has a left handed baby hook that Garnett doesn't have."

Vanzagger
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I think we have FF talent.

Here's what's more likely to happen. Few warns us we lost Sacre. We play Pangos and Bell Jr. out of position and give Stockton 15/gm.

We may still make the dance if this happens. ESPN will be all over it if Stockton get's a couple of assists and those will be our two highlights.

Can we just send Reggie Miller and Greg Anthony a worn j-strap and call it good?

Radbooks
04-03-2012, 05:14 PM
One of the talking heads said he attended a charter school and that school played something like two games and lost them both, by something like 11 points. Either that or they lost two games by that margin.

The conversation was along those lines as they were talking all the things he did during this game while still not being able to score. And still being the best athlete on the floor. etc etc

I thought they said something along the lines that his school won only 6 games in both his junior and senior year. I read somewhere else that they didn't have a gym, etc. I figured he must have played on a really good AAU team! :)

willandi
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
OT: after seeing Wiltjer on TV last night, he's gotta be the youngest looking 19 yr old I've ever seen...the kid looks like a 6'9", 220lb 12 yr old in a Kentucky uniform. Not meant as a slight, but a fact. Kyle makes David Stockton look like he's over the hill.

Must be the stache!

MDABE80
04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Lockett or someone like him plus a very good big man and we could find ourselves in the E8 or FF next year. I think it's very possible. Spangler needs to be turned lose.