• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoGU
    Kennel Club
    • Nov 2011

OT: A Loss in the Zag Family

President McCulloh sent out this email today. Gonzaga lost one of their own yesterday.

TO: The Gonzaga Community

SUBJ: Thoughts & Prayers

DATE: April 2, 2012

It is with a most heavy heart that I convey to you the sudden and unexpected loss of a member of our family. First-year student Chris Gormley was the victim of a tragic accident Sunday afternoon while on a kayaking trip on Rock Lake.

Chris, who just celebrated his 18th birthday, attended Henry M. Jackson High School in Everett, Washington. He was an Eagle Scout. He was in the Gonzaga Honors program, a political science major and a member of the Residence Hall Block Council. Chris’ parents share that his dream was to come to Gonzaga – he was a proud Zag who loved it here.

I know all of us at Gonzaga join together to extend our deepest sympathies to Chris’ parents – Chris and Susan Gormley – and to his entire family. To his Gonzaga family, as well – his friends, hall mates at Campion Hall, classmates, professors and other acquaintances, please know the entire Gonzaga community is with you at this time of sadness and loss.

One other student on the trip was hospitalized as a result of the accident, and was subsequently released. All other students and guides returned safely. The Gonzaga family offers thoughts and prayers to these community members so deeply impacted by the tragedy. Our thoughts are also with the Gonzaga Outdoors staff, guides and all student participants.

Such a heart-breaking loss is borne through our faith, and our love and support for each other.

A service in Chris’ honor is planned before Easter. We will share information on arrangements as they are confirmed.
    Please keep Chris and his family in your prayers.
    sigpic

The Gus Johnson Soundboard
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

OT: A Loss in the Zag Family

From an e-mail from Dr. McCulloh:

It is with a most heavy heart that I convey to you the sudden and unexpected loss of a member of our family. First-year student Chris Gormley was the victim of a tragic accident Sunday afternoon while on a kayaking trip on Rock Lake.

Chris, who just celebrated his 18th birthday, attended Henry M. Jackson High School in Everett, Washington. He was an Eagle Scout. He was in the Gonzaga Honors program, a political science major and a member of the Residence Hall Block Council. Chris’ parents share that his dream was to come to Gonzaga – he was a proud Zag who loved it here.

I know all of us at Gonzaga join together to extend our deepest sympathies to Chris’ parents – Chris and Susan Gormley – and to his entire family. To his Gonzaga family, as well – his friends, hall mates at Campion Hall, classmates, professors and other acquaintances, please know the entire Gonzaga community is with you at this time of sadness and loss.

One other student on the trip was hospitalized as a result of the accident, and was subsequently released. All other students and guides returned safely. The Gonzaga family offers thoughts and prayers to these community members so deeply impacted by the tragedy. Our thoughts are also with the Gonzaga Outdoors staff, guides and all student participants.

Such a heart-breaking loss is borne through our faith, and our love and support for each other.

A service in Chris’ honor is planned before Easter. We will share information on arrangements as they are confirmed.
    May the young man rest in God's peace.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

so sad

from reading this email, it seems like this was part of a kayaking day trip by a bunch of GU friends and students. So sad. My heart goes out to this family and all his friends. What an awful thing to happen. This very talented young man clearly had such a great life ahead of him. RIP and prayers to the family.

Fwiw, the 7-mile long, narrow, uninhabited Rock Lake is famous not only for it's beauty and intrigue, and appeal, but the potential dangers it poses to anyone who goes there. It can be -- and has been -- a magnet for folks (but mostly fishermen) because of its unique shape and appeal, for a very long time.

Besides the cold waters this time of year at all lakes, other common dangers unique to Rock Lake include sudden, high winds, kicking up and blowing you in the opposite direction down its canyon, in the opposite direction you need to go in order to get out. There is only one end of this lake from which to get in and out.

There are basalt (rock) walls & outcroppings all along the shoreline that hang out over the water. In other words, there is no shoreline in many places. This can threaten the ability of anyone to reach shore during bad conditions, or following an accident. Or just falling into the water.

A story on Rock Lake was in the Spokesman-review, written by outdoor editor Rich Landers, about a month ago.

Two Spokane anglers at Rock Lake last week pulled in a couple of big ones they can’t get out of their minds. “We saved two lives,” David Shields said. “I feel good about that, but more people need to know how easy it would have been for those two young guys to die.”
      Last edited by gamagin; 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM. Reason: to shorten length
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Proudzagmom
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

I can't say enough good things about this young man. He was in the Fall production of The Three Musketeers with my daughter. Such a tragic loss. God's peace and our heartfelt prayers to his family and friends.

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

the tragedy as reported on Spokane t.v.

Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Such a good boy with such a bright future. Just crushing for the family. SAD SAD..

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Parents should never have to bury their children. Thoughts and prayers.

Comment

• TerpZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Our thoughts and prayers are extended to Chris Gormley and his family and friends.

Several families in our neighborhood knew Chris and his family through school, Eagle Scouts and church. It is a very, very sad day here...

Gormley was a top scholar at Jackson High School. Last year, he was named Jackson's winner of the prestigious Everett School District superintendent scholarship. Just one student from each high school receives the honor each year. Each must be ranked within the top 5 percent of their graduating class and score within the top 5 percent on national SAT exams...

During last spring's superintendent scholarship event, students were asked to say something about an influential teacher.

Gormley chose Rose Smith, who taught a culminating exhibition class in which seniors take on a large project and reflect on learning.

"Having spent years in honors and (college-level) Advanced Placement courses, I admit that I felt above having to prove my ability to learn through a baseline display of my abilities, a project which all students must complete in order to graduate," Gormley said. "Ms. Smith quickly deflated my head, though I am sure those who know me will still say otherwise."...
                Everett Herald Link

Comment

• awberke
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Jan 2010

My thoughts go to the family. I'm not sure that's something you can ever understand or recover from.

Comment

• Zag79
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

wonderful tribute to an amazing young man, and his family . . .

They filled the front pews, all clad in blue T-shirts stamped with a single word on the front: “nerd.” They had come, these members of the Gonzaga Honors Program – like those who surrounded them in the packed University Chapel at Gonzaga’s College Hall – to celebrate the short but vivid life of Christopher James Gormley, their classmate, academic provocateur, outdoor enthusiast and proud fellow nerd.
                      Go TEAM Zags !

Comment

• TerpZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

This morning, here at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, they held a funeral Mass honoring the life of Chris Gormley.

Fr. Craig Hightower, S.J. of Gonzaga was a co-celebrant of the Mass. The Mass and accompanying ceremonies were just beautiful. Fr. Hightower touched on many aspects of Chris's life in his eulogy.

Dr. Sue Weitz was there as well representing Gonzaga University.

I was fortunate to meet several young Gonzaga Alums in addition to parents of Gonzaga Alums and current students both before and after the Mass today.

Chris Gormley's favorite songs: "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" were played after the closing blessings this morning.

RIP Chris...

Comment

Working...
                        X