PDA

View Full Version : Eye Test: Kyle Dranginis

awberke
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
On Fridays, the Rudolf Fitness center is host to lunch time basketball. Since the season has ended, some of the players come and play. I was there today and watched for about 30 minutes in between lifting weights.

The players there were: Pangos, Spangler, Dranginis, Keita, Sarbaugh, Monninghoff

Only the first 4 were playing when i was watching.

I want everyone to take what i'm going to say with a grain of salt. These were pick up games against random guys, although many of which are very good and are on the club team.

What I saw was Kyle Dranginis being the best player on the court for several straight games. He is probably 6'4.5" and has long arms and solid quickness.

What took me the most by surprise was his athleticism. The kid was dunking every other play it seemed. And i don't mean nobody around him, waltzing to the hoop and barely getting it over.

I mean, full speed, two handed behind the head (a la D. Rose) slams. He even one-handed dunked on a kid with a hand trying to block it in the fast break. Oh and in last place was the alley oop in the half court, nbd.

He also hit a couple threes, his shot is released high and looks very smooth. He guarded KP and shut him down/stole the ball from him a couple times, on top of stealing the ball from one of the better club team players on consecutive trips.

Am I painting a picture? Because I honestly hate it when people talk about players we haven't seen only to be disappointed later. That's why I emphasize the context of the play. One thing that won't change in D1 play is his athletic ability and length, two things I'm comfortable with remembering. I don't expect him to be dunking on people in D1 but he convinced me that he could play the small forward position in a 3 guard lineup.

I didn't see him handle the ball much and passing is hard to judge in pickup because everyone is trying to play one-on-one. For that reason i couldn't say whether i could see him playing point guard.

Ryan Spangler also played pretty well despite looking a little winded (I swear he always looks this way though, and was sprinting the floor on every possession). He hit 2 out of 3 three point shots that i saw and had a nice alley oop dunk. It's more difficult to judge larger players at the gym because they are so much bigger than the competition.

Kevin Pangos played aggressive and threw up 3's left an right, but also was slicing to the basket pretty easily. But we've all seen KP play, so no news there.

Something else that stood out was the competitiveness between the teams players. They often guarded each other and bothered one another. A good thing in my book.

Zerogame
03-30-2012, 01:55 PM
So it starts!
Yahooooooooooooooo!

MDABE80
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
It's a nice report. Thanks for it. I don't anyone of us has seen Kyle play much. Sounds like he's a very competetive wing for us. Not sure why he WON'T play if he's this good. Last Summer, he looked shy, hesitant and a bit clumbsy....BUT it was his 2nd week on campus and he was surrounded by veterans and some of the pros. I guess I'd be a shy freshman too.

Let's hope he's every bit the shooter, dunker and player you describe. Thanks again for the report AW. Much appreciated. As an addon, I'm VERY enthused over Kyle. TIme for Abe to have a second look!

Goshzagit
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Awesome!

Appreciate the report, awberke. We love this kinda stuff in the off-season, doesn't get any better.

As I've been preaching the past few days, Kyle Dranginis is a better player/prospect/recruit than Amadeo Delle Valle is at the moment. He would have exploded at a Findlay Prep type HS and thoroughly impressed when he attended camps in Vegas and such. I remember he averaged 29 ppg during an AAU Tourney in Vegas and some scouts came out and labeled him the best SG in the West.

Speaking of potentially playing the "3" or a 3-guard lineup, ESPN said this about KD in 2010:

He is a great looking prospect that may grow into a versatile 3-man some day because he has a very young looking frame. Nevertheless, he is a big guard with a great skill set, savvy-and he should eventually have a great career for the Zags.

Interesting. He's considered deceptively athletic, very long, lacking some quickness, but makes up for it with his nifty handles. Excellent ball-handler. Effortless passer & widely considered the most gifted passer in transition on our roster.

Coach Few himself admitted Kyle Dranginis could have "helped us immensely" and was always at the back of his mind in terms of pulling his shirt. Also, many coaches/players stated there were many practices last season when Kyle was the best player on the floor. Before the season even began, Marquise Carter said he was the most surprised and impressed with Dranginis over any Freshman. Big time compliment, imo.

Also, why else would Keita transfer when he knows KD is ahead of him on the depth chart.

Again, thanks for sharing.

:cheers:

BobZag
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks, awburke. Keep going there during lunch. :) Consider it taken with a grain of salt. Eye Test has worked for me, too. Gives one an idea.

Vanzagger
03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
power forward

awberke
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I also saw Matty B do a 360 dunk in a pickup game a couple years ago and we all know he never did anything close to that in a game. Another reason to not put too much stake into my observations.

All i know is I'm excited to see him play. This may not be the most talented recruiting class we've ever had, but I think it is on its way to being my favorite.

I would love to see Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, and Spangler at the 1-4 positions next year.

On another note, I think if Few knew that Marquise wasn't going to play much this year, he would not have redshirted Kyle. He seems like he could have taken some pressure off of our freshman point and shooting guards.

gamagin
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
fine report.

billyberu
03-30-2012, 04:34 PM
This is why I read these boards. Thanks for the fine report!

Personally, I can't wait to see this kid play next year. I've been feeling for awhile Drangs is gonna go all Adam Morrison on us without the 'tude. Hated to see him redshirt, but he's a bit thin so hopefully he's filling out.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Baseline
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Kyle looks like he has filled out pretty good this last year. Any idea what he ways these days? Does his frame look like he could put on more muscle and weight in general?

His outside shot in HS was great!

BobZag
03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Months ago he had gained 20 pounds since he played at Skyview. I'd think it has to be more than that by now.

JAGzag
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Love these types of reports! I'm really excited to see Kyle in action next year, sounds like another kid we found flying under the radar. With all our guards, what spot do we see him playing the most?

zag buddy
03-30-2012, 05:55 PM
He was skilled this past summer. So excited he has bulked up a little. That's all he needed was more strenght and weight. He was a little timid with the more aggresive players. Not now apparently. Wouldn't it be something if Saughbrough turned out to be a player also. He was mvp of the state tourny.

awberke
03-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Months ago he had gained 20 pounds since he played at Skyview. I'd think it has to be more than that by now.

I would say from seeing him in person (with a shirt off) that he weighs around 185. I didn't look at any previous numbers to sway my eval, if that is more than what he used to weigh then he has bulked up.

zag buddy
03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
160 I would guess,last summer

cjm720
03-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Great report, thx! Is it November yet? Wohooo

rijman
03-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the report. I was thinking how fun it would be to watch those pickup games. Everything i've heard about Kyle has been positive, I look forward to seeing him play in the fall.

BobZag
03-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Love these types of reports! I'm really excited to see Kyle in action next year, sounds like another kid we found flying under the radar. With all our guards, what spot do we see him playing the most?

I see Kyle rotating at the 1, 2 and 3, but mostly at the 2 and 3 spots.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
This is going to be a very good backcourt for a long time. The Final Four isn't even over and I can't wait for next year.

MDABE80
03-31-2012, 02:39 PM
I didn't notice such vertical when Ive seen Kyle. Long arms to be certain. Good to know he can elevate. SOunds like he's going to be a very nice surprise. He didn't gather all those HS honors for nuthin.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-31-2012, 02:41 PM
160 I would guess,last summer

That is absurd, the guy is 6-5. His Auschwitz weight is probably 150-160.
The guys are taller than they appear on your TV.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM

what? geez.

awberke
03-31-2012, 02:52 PM

Uhhh, nice.

I have a friend that is 6'4 160, and I assure you he is healthy looking (albeit very skinny)

Austin Daye was 6'9" 180 (edit: i looked it up) when he came to gonzaga, i believe.

MDABE80
03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
lAlong side of him, he doesn't look skinny to me. I'd have guess 200 lbs.

Baseline
03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
If he is 200, he has a real shot at being the starting 3.

NotoriousZ
03-31-2012, 05:42 PM
On Fridays, the Rudolf Fitness center is host to lunch time basketball. Since the season has ended, some of the players come and play. I was there today and watched for about 30 minutes in between lifting weights.

The players there were: Pangos, Spangler, Dranginis, Keita, Sarbaugh, Monninghoff

Only the first 4 were playing when i was watching.

I want everyone to take what i'm going to say with a grain of salt. These were pick up games against random guys, although many of which are very good and are on the club team.

What I saw was Kyle Dranginis being the best player on the court for several straight games. He is probably 6'4.5" and has long arms and solid quickness.

What took me the most by surprise was his athleticism. The kid was dunking every other play it seemed. And i don't mean nobody around him, waltzing to the hoop and barely getting it over.

I mean, full speed, two handed behind the head (a la D. Rose) slams. He even one-handed dunked on a kid with a hand trying to block it in the fast break. Oh and in last place was the alley oop in the half court, nbd.

He also hit a couple threes, his shot is released high and looks very smooth. He guarded KP and shut him down/stole the ball from him a couple times, on top of stealing the ball from one of the better club team players on consecutive trips.

Am I painting a picture? Because I honestly hate it when people talk about players we haven't seen only to be disappointed later. That's why I emphasize the context of the play. One thing that won't change in D1 play is his athletic ability and length, two things I'm comfortable with remembering. I don't expect him to be dunking on people in D1 but he convinced me that he could play the small forward position in a 3 guard lineup.

I didn't see him handle the ball much and passing is hard to judge in pickup because everyone is trying to play one-on-one. For that reason i couldn't say whether i could see him playing point guard.

Ryan Spangler also played pretty well despite looking a little winded (I swear he always looks this way though, and was sprinting the floor on every possession). He hit 2 out of 3 three point shots that i saw and had a nice alley oop dunk. It's more difficult to judge larger players at the gym because they are so much bigger than the competition.

Kevin Pangos played aggressive and threw up 3's left an right, but also was slicing to the basket pretty easily. But we've all seen KP play, so no news there.

Something else that stood out was the competitiveness between the teams players. They often guarded each other and bothered one another. A good thing in my book.

Thankyou! As if we needed another reason to get excited for next year...Drangs at the three works for me!

The biggest question mark will be the interior defense, Big Rob has left a big hole to fill. We may have to be the team that just outscores everybody else. Pangos, Bell, Draginis...should be fun!