PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Win!

Eroop22
03-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Not a great game but its always good to win the first game of the year. The middle of the order was pretty pathetic. Smoak, Montero, and Carp went 0-13 with 8 LOB's. I cant believe Brandon McCarthy was the opening day starter for the A's. He is possibly the worst opening day starter in history.

webspinnre
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Brandon McCarthy is alot better than you think. Last year his ERA was 3.32, his FIP 2.86, and his xFIP 3.30. He'd be our 2nd best starter and it wouldn't be close.

Eroop22
03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I knew someone was going to come at me with some made up sabermetric stat like FIP or xFip right after I posted my comment. Oh well why stop at him being our 2nd best pitcher according to his ERA and FIP he is better than Felix. I will however concede that I am probably wrong about McCarthy being the worst opening day starter ever. I made my comment strictly off watching the game he is not very impressive pitcher. All in all I am glad we got the win and hope we come back from Japan 2-0.

webspinnre
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
So, you don't like ERA or FIP/xFIP? Which stats do you want? His K/BB ratio was 4.92, 4th in the league. Obviously one single stat is not the sole determinant for evaluating a player, but take a bunch of them, and when they all show that he's probably in the top 15-25% of pitchers for performance last year, I think we can come to the conclusion that he had a pretty good year.

What exactly is the criteria for a stat that is made up as opposed to one that is not made up?

Eroop22
03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
I really don't want to be sucked into another one of these arguments. I think I have made it clear over the last couple years that I am not a fan of all the new stats. It doesn't matter if its baseball or basketball with its +/- stat. I prefer to watch the games and not the box scores and that is what I base my opinions on. McCarthy has had one good season. Hell he wasn't even in the majors in 2010. Obviously one single season is not the sole determinant for evaluating a player. If it was former Mariner Dave Fleming would be in the hall of fame. The season just started and I am still full of optimism for this team. Lets not get all bent out of shape over an off the cuff remark I made about an opponents starting pitcher.

sittingon50
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Let's all agree that the Mariner's have the best record in BASEBALL!