PDA

View Full Version : Playing time will Not be a problem.

HillBillyZag
07-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Consider that regardless of hype all of our kids have many strengths and few weakness's. Each will have a job assigned. With the depth at hand this Zag team will be the most versatile squad in Zag history. Coach Few can mix and match in most any situation and against any opposition. We can be tall,aggressive, and play a physical Big-10 style. We can run & gun like a Memphis Team. We can trap, press, we have big kids now with enough speed out front in the middle to play the 3-2 Zone against the Villanovas and West Virginias of 3point shooting fame. Fouls in the paint should present little problem. And the best part is that Coach Few will utilize each player to gain the maximum result. I have not been as excited about our chances to get that longed for Final Four and perhaps a NationalChampionship in the near future. Go Zags!!

roxdoc
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Totally agree. And the mix and match, especially in game situations, sounds like it could be right down Assistant Coach Ray G's alley. Our player versatility is a real blessing if it can be put to proper use. As has been pointed out already "on the fly" matchup suggestions by RG could really be a real benefit in the heat of battle. We love (me too) to speculate about the mix of new and old players, but our "behind the scenes" addition is going to be very beneficial too.

Robzagnut
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I totally disagree.

You've got 13 guys fighting for what should be an 8 man rotation. That is a problem. Look at North Carolina last year when they were 10 deep. It was hard for some of those guys to get into the flow and once they did get hot, they were taken out.

Read the latest article in The Sporting News about Coach K and how he plays the smallest rotation possible at Duke.

lothar98zag
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
At GU, 8 or 9 players have historically gotten major minutes. Sometimes it's been 7 or 10, but not often. I don't see more than 10 getting major minutes this year.

Players wanting more minutes than they are getting isn't necessarily a problem. It's only a problem if player's desire for more PT negatively affects the team as a whole. I'd like to think that won't occur this year.

GoZags
07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
The 10 man rotation seemed to work pretty well for the Zags in March of '99, when they were 33 seconds and a possession away from the Final Four.

lothar98zag
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Read the latest article in The Sporting News about Coach K and how he plays the smallest rotation possible at Duke.
BTW, coach K's rotation is not the norm. Obviously it works for him, but the vast majority of college teams (including GU) typically have rotations that are larger than Duke's.

cair3
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
the team will need an identitiy and always changing rotation and playing time makes it difficult for a team to form an identity and the confidence of knowing who you are and why your team is good.

HillBillyZag
07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
What some of you are missing is the point that Coach Few and Gonzaga are concentrating more on winning ballgames, Conference titles and getting to the final four and a Div.1 Crown then worrying about how many players are going to be NBA draft picks. Not that it isn't important if ones hoops dreams are just that, but If your team accomplishes all of the aforementioned tasks the offers will come if deserved.Like the General says:" You play for the name on the front of your jersey and let me worry about the one on the back". Due to the keen judgement G.U. uses in the kids they recruit, not many of the "me first" kids are in the mix.

Zag509
07-19-2007, 02:03 PM
13 is a little much, but i cant imagine a rotation of less then 10,so with that in mind.....

What 2 or 3 players get left behind??

El Voce
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
It will all sort itself out -- minutes will be earned through hard work. Injuries will play a factor.

Robzagnut
07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
>What some of you are missing is the point that Coach Few and Gonzaga are concentrating more on winning ballgames, Conference titles and getting to the final four and a Div.1 Crown then worrying about how many players are going to be NBA draft picks.

Exactly. Which is why most coaches play their top 8-9 players. They want to win with their best players and invite competition for those 8-9 positions.

To play all 13 players just to play them doesn't make any sense. I've never seen a 13 player rotation before I and doubt if I'll ever see one.

Angelo Roncalli
07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
The Voice is right. It will be what it will be. Remember last year--significant injuries to Downs, Davis and Gurganious--Davis and Gurganious never played a minute last season. Worrying about minutes and playing time at this point, with the start of practice still 3 months away, seems a bit pointless.

lothar98zag
07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Injuries will play a factor.

Please not this year!

:pray:

Zags-Bsee
07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
>
Exactly. Which is why most coaches play their top 8-9 players. They want to win with their best players and invite competition for those 8-9 positions.

I don't think we lack good enough players or coaches, I think we lack defensive intensity. If they had a ranking for team defense, I think Gonzaga would lag in this area more then any other vs. their ranking.

In short, we may be a top 25 team, but I don't think our team defensive efforts the past 2 years would be ranked top 25. This team seems to have the physcial ability to be very good defensively. It would be nice to go into March thinking we had the best defensive team in the country. I have a feeling the rest would take care of itself.

kylasdad
07-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Jeez...give the coaches a chance to injure a few players with their floor diving drills...(many on the board figured that was the only reason they did them) playing time definitely won't be a problem then. I just hope theo is more careful this year. Oh yeah, and watch out for Ira!

MickMick
07-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Too much talk about rotation...and not enough talk about situations. Zags have an answer for all of them.

HillBillyZag
07-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Amen MickMick. I only started the thread to express my excitement about the options available to Coach Few in any given situation. With the quality of the backups any starter who slacks off or stubs his toe will be riding the pines.