• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

2013 Calvin Hermanson on Zags' Radar

I'm hearing he really likes Gonzaga. FYI, Lake Oswego is in Oregon's largest classification, 6A.

Lake Oswego junior Calvin Hermanson was named the 2011-12 Oregon boys basketball Gatorade Player of the Year after helping the Lakers reach the Class 6A state championship game.

Hermanson, a 6-foot-6 wing, averaged 23.0 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.4 assists during the regular season and was even better during the state championship run. He averaged 26.2 points and more than eight rebounds during the Class 6A playoffs, including back-to-back 32-point performances in the quarterfinal and semifinal games. In three tournament games at the Rose Garden Area, he shot a blistering 63-percent (29-for-46) from the floor and hit 21 of 24 free throws. His performance earned him a unanimous selection to 1st team All-Tournament.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • tlark420
    Kennel Club Material
    • Dec 2009

Calvin Hermanson finishes the alley oop from Tj Dorodo. Tommy knecht gets to be in the poster
    "Life's too short to be unhappy so you wake up you just have to have a smile on your face and make someone else smile" - Rob Sacre

Comment

• Baldwinzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

long arms for 6'5"

“He’s one of the best players I’ve seen in a long time,” said Jeff Bair, head coach at Clackamas (Ore.). “He is an excellent inside-out threat on the court with an incredible basketball IQ. He makes reads on the court that are simply amazing. He certainly is a class act on the floor -- a great competitor who does so with class and sportsmanship. As an opposing coach, I can honestly say he’s the best Oregon has right now.”
      A dedicated ESPNHS team managed the Gatorade Boys Basketball Player of the Year selection process, resulting in winners based on the program's three pillars: athletic production and impact in the 2011 season, high academic achievement and exemplary personal character.

ESPN Analyst

Strengths:
      Hermanson is a clever left-hander that has very long arms and can stroke the 3-point shot. When he gets his feet set his shot is very solid. He is much more comfortable shooting the jump shot off the catch than off the dribble. He can also get in the post and exhibited a soft turn-around jump shot. In transition he is a decent athlete and an excellent passer-not too mention his passing in the half court was impressive as well. He is a lefty with a nice touch in the paint area and he has some deceptive bounce as well. He has nice length and with fairly long arms and very good hands.

Weaknesses:
      Hermanson is a smooth player, but he needs to get more aggressive on the defensive end. He has a tendency to float too much on that end and not utilize his long arms to get deflections. In addition, his shot is definitely smooth, but it needs to get more consistent (off the bounce) to develop his pull-up game.

Bottom Line:
      Hermanson is an intriguing prospect due to his length and savvy. He moves well without the ball and has a good understanding of what needs to occur on each possession. He looks like an ideal wing-type for a solid mid-major program.
      *ESPN eval written after his Soph season, yet proceeded to "blow up" this year.

A Joe Harris type, yet given the fact we passed him over in recruiting, when he was more than interested in the Zags, my expectations remain tempered for this kid and his chances. Although, I think he'd be a terrific fit and player for us. Maybe we've learned our lesson, considering Joe Harris is currently one of the best all-around players in the ACC.
      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Look at those highlights in the link in the OP.

Wow.

Comment

• hooter73
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

Wow, love what I see in the highlights.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Lefty. Sign him up.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Aggressiveness doesn't seem to be a problem for Mr. Hermanson in the highlite video.

Comment

• Colbyspapa
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Jan 2008

Wow! Sign his ass up now!!!!! That is a good looking player. Always in the right position, explosive, quick feet, left hand. Appears to be an above average jumper. SIGN before Calipari offers without meeting the kid.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

I can't recall who said it, yet a poster recently mentioned his #1 wish list for Zags was:

"A Mike Hart with offense & a shot".

Well, here he is...an early Merry Christmas to you as a fan. This kid is Mike Hart with an all-around offensive game, better hops, and just as strong & long of arms.

Question is, will Zags pass b/c 1.) He's just over in Oregon 2.) Maybe a Euro-kid is still out there we don't even know about yet, a mysterious entity, yet still alluring and could even play SF. 3.) Paralysis by analysis b/c he's so close in proximity, seen entirely too often by Coaches, and is what we've had before.

Remember, Monninghoff & Keita were chosen over All-ACC performer, Joe Harris.

Joe was also 6'6", combo-guard/forward, 40% from 3pt, solid athleticism, hard worker, Washington POY, etc. JUST like this kid.

I wonder if Zags even give him a sniff...or wait for Lloyd to turn over another rock overseas....we'll see.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Color me impressed......sign him.....is he our missing piece?

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                      I can't recall who said it, yet a poster recently mentioned his #1 wish list for Zags was:

"A Mike Hart with offense & a shot".

Well, here he is...an early Merry Christmas to you as a fan. This kid is Mike Hart with an all-around offensive game, better hops, and just as strong & long of arms.

Question is, will Zags pass b/c 1.) He's just over in Oregon 2.) Maybe a Euro-kid is still out there we don't even know about yet, a mysterious entity, yet still alluring and could even play SF. 3.) Paralysis by analysis b/c he's so close in proximity, seen entirely too often by Coaches, and is what we've had before.

Remember, Monninghoff & Keita were chosen over All-ACC performer, Joe Harris.

Joe was also 6'6", combo-guard/forward, 40% from 3pt, solid athleticism, hard worker, Washington POY, etc. JUST like this kid.

I wonder if Zags even give him a sniff...or wait for Lloyd to turn over another rock overseas....we'll see.
                      You're concerns are very valid. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. We may or may not have gotten Harris, but it bothers me that we never even offered. Instead, the staff found every flaw he had, likely down to the little pimple on his left cheek, and chose the exotic foreign mystery men. *sigh*

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Shoulders, arms and his trunk...pretty advanced body for a 17 year old kid. He has the stats in the highest league in Oregon. This is one kid we need. I bet Oregon's Dana Altman thinks so too.

Likely the entire P 12 does ( sans Romar). He'd be a good one....hope some competent recruiting brings him to us.

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Surely if the young man displays interest in Gonzaga they will consider offering him?
                          [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                          ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

It's about time we get an Oregon kid. We have lost so many. I think Few will offer this kid. He would be foolish if he did not. Let's get more local when the talent is legit.
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Goshzagit
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2007

2 Zag recruits Cullen Neal & Chris Reyes already heading to St marys ---

I was just told St Mary's is recruiting this kid hard.

So is Wash St, Oregon State, Oklahoma St, Utah, Portland, and Oregon has shown up to his most recent games.

He went out of his way to mention Gonzaga has at least shown interest.

Comment

Working...
                              X