PDA

View Full Version : Questions about GU Track

Zag 77
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I was just wondering about the GU track program. I have a daughter who is a pretty good spear chucker. It would be nice to get some $ to pay for her education. Does GU track give out any scholarships ( I presume they would be partials)?

Where do they have a facility for meets and practice?

former1dog
03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I was just wondering about the GU track program. I have a daughter who is a pretty good spear chucker. It would be nice to get some $ to pay for her education. Does GU track give out any scholarships ( I presume they would be partials)?

Where do they have a facility for meets and practice?

GU track is a non scholarship sport currently. It is distance running centric program.

Gonzaga does not have any facilities specifically for the track team to my knowledges.

If your daughter is serious about her javelin career and that is an important factor in her college choice, then unfortunately I would not recommend GU.

KStyles
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
GU probably isn't the best choice for your daughter if she wishes to continue her javelin career.

When I was there a few years ago, the track team consisted mainly of the XC team running the more distance oriented events during track season (800, 1500, 3200, 5,000, 10,000). Basically, the XC & Track programs were one year-round running program (same coaches, same athletes, all year) I don't believe they have any participants in the 'field' portion of track & field. GU doesn't have their own facility, and as the track team consists of running events, they can just practice anywhere. I'm sure they have a local track (maybe a high school or CC) they go to for track workouts. GU doesn't host any meets themselves, they just travel to meets (Pac-12, also local schools like Eastern, Whitworth, Spokane CC, Idaho). I'm pretty sure they don't have anything in the way of athletic scholarships for track.

former1dog
03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I ran for GU Cross Country and Track, we used to practice for track at G Prep.

KStyles
03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I ran for GU Cross Country and Track, we used to practice for track at G Prep.

Makes sense. I figured it was probably a local high school, don't know why I couldn't put two & two together.

former1dog
03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Makes sense. I figured it was probably a local high school, don't know why I couldn't put two & two together.

That was 20 years ago, though . :)