PDA

View Full Version : Don't understimate Kelly Olynyk's contribution the next two years

OZZY
03-24-2012, 08:28 PM
On another thread it was pointed it that several BYU players are coming back from Missions.......................

All I can say is that;

Kelly has been on his own "Mission" this last year, don't think for a second that he hasn't soaked up alot of what the coaching staff has been trying to get across to his fellow players. One of the concerns I had during his first two years was it appeared that his relationship with the coaching staff was fragile. From what I can see this is not the case now.

As many have commented on this past year Kelly was very involved in team practices and during games. He has practised against Rob, Elias and Sam on an almost daily basis and at times looked to be the best forward out there.

Don't expect Kelly to play timid next year, he didn't back down in the last meaningful games he played (FIBA America"s 2011).

With a year to adjust to his body and improve his footwork he will hopefully now be able to keep up with his high basketball IQ brain better.

I expect him to start at Centre and really impact each game he plays in, he may not be the top scorer, but he will continue to hustle for loose balls, look for the open 3 point shooter and play smart.

I believe that while the team may be "Kevin's team" while on the floor, I think that Kelly will take over the role that Big Rob had, the emotional leader.

One final quote from his dad might put things into perspective.

“For what his goals are,” Ken said, “he needs to play substantial minutes.”

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20111114/KAMLOOPS0201/111119942/-1/kamloops/gonzaga-decides-to-redshirt-olynyk

Go Zags

bartruff1
03-24-2012, 08:37 PM
I am quite sure he will get every opportunity. There are some very skilled 5s in the WCC and with Rob gone, there will be some big shoes to fill in the post especially on defense...

krozman
03-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm already on the record by stating he can be Gonzaga'a next Adam Morrison. You're going to see such a scoring improvement, that his legend will grow to the regions of (insert all John Denver quotations here).

It's not an expectation, per se, but I'm excited for KO and what he will do for the team now that his playtime is expected to increase.

Can you guys imagine the 3 point scoring machines of bell/pangos combined with the two big setup of KO/Dower on the floor at the same time, with Harris playing all american?

Can we legitimately say that ANY of those 5 could have a breakout year next year? Of course! It's a good problem to have, and I can't wait.

cggonzaga
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I love Kelly and I hope he is great next year...coming off the bench. If he starts over Sam then to me that means Sam isn't getting any better. We need Sam's scoring down low as the only one that has proven he can. I expect Kelly to play major minutes, 20-25mpg. We also need Kelly to play well so don't get me wrong. However, if Sam isn't the man next year I'd be worried about the teams success.

Baldwinzag
03-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I love Kelly and I hope he is great next year...coming off the bench. If he starts over Sam then to me that means Sam isn't getting any better. We need Sam's scoring down low as the only one that has proven he can. I expect Kelly to play major minutes, 20-25mpg. We also need Kelly to play well so don't get me wrong. However, if Sam isn't the man next year I'd be worried about the teams success.

I'd tend to agree with this, yet unless Sam improves his man-to-man defense, KO is going to be "the man in the middle" imo. Dower is one of the most gifted offensive post players we've EVER had, yet he must improve his defense and rebounding to earn the full-time starting posish.

Of course it all depends on if Elias elects to return...which I think he will. The NBA draft is insanely deep this year, not nearly as stacked next year...wait one year and he's a late 1st rounder, instead of late 2nd Rounder or undrafted this yr.

cjm720
03-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Always have and still do have high hopes for KO. He may not be the cog I thought he could be, but that's more because of the vast talent we have. Still could have.

To the OP, that's the first I've heard about a fragile relationship with the coaching staff. Link or source?

MDABE80
03-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Only if Few finds a good 3 who is athletic, plays defense and scored in bunch will Kelly have a chance to be spectacular. Kelly's been limited by his athleticism. I'm sure he's improved that to a degree. Sam , Kelly neigher of which played much defense must learn to. If toughness means, in part, playing D I hope Kelly and Sam put their minds to it. Elias has and will if he returns...which I think he will after he hits a few camps and listens to the scouts as to what he needs to do. Spangler will be an asset as well.

The "3" spot is critical to having popponents pay attention and thus allowing the floor to be spread. When the floor is spread, both Sam and Kelly will have excellent opportunity. Let's hope both use those opps.

Zag79
03-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Is it about Sam and Kelly starting over each other? Could it end up looking like this:

Kevin
GBJ
Harris
Sam
Kelly

I know it's got its weaknesses but it has some real strengths not too many teams could match. Harris staying has a lot to do with it, if he leaves replace Harris with Edi above and you just might have the new lineup. Im excited to see what Olynyk can do, there were plenty of games last season where he was our best rebounder and scorer per minutes played. People seem to forget he was averaging 6 points and 4 rebounds, shooting 58% from the floor and 44% from three... In 13 minutes per game! Kelly could be the best player on the team at that rate depending on his improvement. Here's to Elias staying and seeing what happens!

Hoopaholic
03-25-2012, 08:44 AM
offensively I am truly excited ........pango getting a high screen and the pick and pop options are truly going to be something special with KO....his outside shooting is tremendous so if the teams back off to double the dribble (like they did this year with Rob setting the screen) KO can hit the 3......if they shade and stay with KO and Pangos lane is tied up with the opposite sagging help...zip it over to Bell for a spot up three point shot from the elbow extended....
meanwhile how will teams stop Dower from sliding over to post with KO being able to feed and put the ball on the ground from the high low options....
Havent even discussed what Harris and Edi will bring to the table on offense...

truly cannot wait to see KO back on the court.

Now I am hoping that defensively he has found his lateral quickness (feet caught up to the brain because he knew what position he should be at it just didnt happen in timely fashion all the time thus picked up some cheap fouls) or has builked up enough to be able to stop the post offensive threats......that for me will be what I want to see from KO

Sweeeeeet KO cant wait

Zagpower
03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
79: Thinking the same thing here. No reason why Sam and Kelly can't play together.

Stache
03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I hope you are right and I'm wrong. We hype beyond all recognition our recruits and we tend to do the same with our redshirts. During the redshirt years our boys grow wings, learn to run the 40 in 4.3 seconds and are rumored to be lifting small cars for strength work outs. Reality sets in and we have a slight variant on what we last saw. That is generally a very solid player, but nothing compared to the myth that has been created.

KO has the thickest lower legs I can remember. I don't remember meaningful jumps, lateral quickness, or fast hands. He will have to play smart defense with great positioning to be defensively effective down low. He will not, based on my memory, give us the defensive presence RS delivered. His offense is best suited facing the basket and from 10 feet out. Spangler is a more rugged version who didn't exhibit the hops to overcome a 3-6 inch deficit to the opposing post.

If KO is a new JP Batista, then the redshirt hype is correct and I'm wrong. If KO's offense is largely on the pop out from distance, that is fine, but let's not build an offensive expectation of true post scoring because that was not his game and to expect that is to impose a transformation that isn't realistic.

Stache
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I do like Sam and KO or Samand the Big Pole in the same line up for match up hell.

MickMick
03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
We hype beyond all recognition our recruits and we tend to do the same with our redshirts.

Not pointing this directly at you, but as much as folks complain about hype around here, I get sick of hearing about hype complaints as much as the hype itself.

I like fandom. There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving your team.

If you want a Heisman trophy, you buy a billboard in New York. All American honors begin with grass roots hype. Folks promote their players and they promote their team.

Complaints about hype annoy me more than just about any topic. A subjective measure to say the least.

If folks can't handle emotional roller coasters, they should get out of fandom entirely.

Complaining about hype is another way of saying, "You guys promised me he was good and he wasn't at the time I wanted him to be."

Hype complaints are a cop out. Again, not singling you out, it just happens that your post was the "one millionth customer through the checkstand" winner.

awberke
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Is it about Sam and Kelly starting over each other? Could it end up looking like this:

Kevin
GBJ
Harris
Sam
Kelly

That's a simple no. It's been discussed and he is our best rebounder, we need him close to the basket.

04ZagFan
03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't overestimate them either.

U Zig, I Zag
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
I am not expecting too much. I will be pleasantly surprised if KO fills the role of a soft-handed, court-aware big that can - given that sliver of opportunity - finish above the rim.

We need a shot blocker and a guy that can finish in tight spaces. We need it badly. Sam is more of a 4 and likes to play face-up. KO will have to bring the swagger (maybe just tattoo the bow tie onto his chest?)

Baseline
03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm hoping to see KO not hesitate on taking the shot, when he hesitates, he misses. When he just takes it he is very good at shooting. In high school he let it rip from all over and shot great, I want to see that again.
Also, Kelly has had success when he rives, I hope to see him take it to the rim more. He is pretty successful when he tries.
I think many are underestimating his rebounding.

MDABE80
03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I think everyone would like to see KO do 20-10. I doubt he will but it' VERY NICE THOUGHT. I wonder if his vertical has increased.

awberke
03-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I think everyone would like to see KO do 20-10. I doubt he will but it' VERY NICE THOUGHT. I wonder if his vertical has increased.

I don't know. I do know he is more athletic than sacre is though.

Birddog
03-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Based on what criteria? Please elaborate and give us some examples of KO's superior athleticism. Inquiring minds want to know.

billyberu
03-25-2012, 05:17 PM

This I doubt. Sacre may not be able to jump, but his lateral quickness alone makes your claim a head scratcher.

MDABE80
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
He wasn't close before. I was wondering if he's done anything to improve his vertical. Usually...6 inches more is the best one does. I hope he has another full foot. Kinda doubt it though....no offense to anyone but I suspect he's got the "white man's disease". Hope I'm wrong.

75Zag
03-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I am hoping for amazing improvements in every aspect of KO's game. As a realist, I will wait for him to complete 6 -10 regular season games before I attempt to evaluate him. At this point I have absolutely no idea whether KO will be the next Bill Walton or the next Bol Kong. Somewhere in between I suspect.

04ZagFan
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Kelly's athleticism is confusing. Sometimes he looks clumsy, slow, and pretty "grounded" and then, out of nowhere, he'll get a big putback dunk over the defense. He's more athletic than given credit for.

OZZY
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
I think the athleticism has been hurt by the time it has taken for him to get use to being 7' tall. This year I hope that with his High BB IQ it will be more about putting himself in the right position to get the most of what athleticism he has.

He and the staff have both been quoted as saying that he wanted to spend the RS time improving his post game, we supposedly do have the coaches that can assist, and he certainly seems to have the willingness to learn.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I am not expecting too much. I will be pleasantly surprised if KO fills the role of a soft-handed, court-aware big that can - given that sliver of opportunity - finish above the rim.

We need a shot blocker and a guy that can finish in tight spaces. We need it badly. Sam is more of a 4 and likes to play face-up. KO will have to bring the swagger (maybe just tattoo the bow tie onto his chest?)

Nicely said.

My addition is a little more pointed---Let's see it on the Court first.

bartruff1
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
I would be pleased if he had Sacre's numbers... very pleased..

gamagin
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
with his feet under his body at all times, the world will be his oyster.

cjm720
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm guessing about 9 pts, 7 rbs and 3 a

mdZag23
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Rob's defense is truly going to be missed. His ability to establish post position and control it on the defensive end and his ability to defend the perimter the way he did was impressive.

However, KO is going to really add a nice offensive dimension by being able to hig the ELBOW jumper and stretch the defense on pick and pop situations.

Rob was just incapable of hitting a 17' jump shot.

Baldwinzag
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
KO somehow managed to get into foul trouble in less than 15 mins per game during his first two years.

First & foremost, prior to any expectations/hopes of 'filling shoes' of those who came before him, I'd just like to see him stay on the court for more than 15mpg.

Let's see if he's improved his help defense and propensity to hack at defenders instead of correctly moving his feet and body.

That is the first thing I'll be looking for -- I know the kid can shoot & score.

gamagin
03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
KO somehow managed to get into foul trouble in less than 15 mins per game during his first two years.

First & foremost, prior to any expectations/hopes of 'filling shoes' of those who came before him, I'd just like to see him stay on the court for more than 15mpg.

Let's see if he's improved his help defense and propensity to hack at defenders instead of correctly moving his feet and body.

That is the first thing I'll be looking for -- I know the kid can shoot & score.

see 28 above. IF he can keep his balance, it means his body now responds to his reactions to the game. Absent that he was forever off balance, either tripping, or fading left or right to shoot, and trying to catch someone heading for or at the basket from behind, having been beaten off the dribble for position.

My best e.g. was watching him fall down while running from the bench to the scorers table to check in to a game. There are many e.g.'s All, imo, having do with his need to catch up & adjust to his body. Hopefully that is what we will see. He'll be in synch.

BobZag
03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I hope you are right and I'm wrong. We hype beyond all recognition our recruits and we tend to do the same with our redshirts. During the redshirt years our boys grow wings, learn to run the 40 in 4.3 seconds and are rumored to be lifting small cars for strength work outs.

He runs a 3.9 40 and just yesterday he was seen lifting a Hummer. Just sayin'.

BULLDOG#1
03-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I would be pleased if he had Sacre's numbers... very pleased..

KO would give Sacre's numbers and more (in assists) if he played Sacre's minutes. Unfortunately that doesn't account for missing the defensive presence Rob was...

It's all guessing at this point, but playing Sam, Kelly, and E together might be a viable option. I suspect we'd have to play zone, but it could be pretty effective with KO's length and E's athletisism on the wings and sam (not a great out of position rebounder) in the middle.

KO's big problem 'was' that he was slow to recover on the weakside help defense and couldn't rotate quick enough to secure weakside rebounds. Straight up or on wing defense, his length enabled him to challenge, but it's in the rotations where he got killed. GOOD news is that everyone knows this and I'm certain the coaching staff worked with KO to correct the issues and KO worked to grow into his body and get his feet under him and speed up the rotations.

How far he has progressed is anyone's guess. But I do get the feeling that if he doesn't have what it takes to get his footspeed up, it won't be because he didn't put the effort it.

Either way, the Sam, KO, Harris lineup would be a nightmare for every team in the WCC to guard.

NEC26
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
No doubt we will miss Sacres' presence inside but I bet Kelly has a higher rebounding and scoring average(although I think Harris benefited from Sacres' size and ability to keep others off the glass).
More than that however I think the whole team will benefit from a big that can shoot from three and passes like a guard. This will open the game up for guys like Harris and Dower plus I think the guards see some nice feeds from the post now as well.
Also I think we see fewer turnovers from Kelly as well. All in all I think we can make up for the loss of Sacre(possibly more) but no doubt our defense will suffer a bit next year.

U Zig, I Zag
03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
with his feet under his body at all times, the world will be his oyster.

He does have a tendency to rumble, bumble and stumble his way around the court.

ZagNut08
03-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Was it an original Hummer or the H3, because an H3 wouldn't be that impressive?

bartruff1
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
He does have a tendency to rumble, bumble and stumble his way around the court.....But he has those guard skills till he grew so fast.....what if he is another Tom Chambers !!!

UberZagFan
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
79: Thinking the same thing here. No reason why Sam and Kelly can't play together.

This lineup would be severely weaker on the defensive end--basically swapping KO and Sam for Sacre and GLE/Hart minutes. That's a minus on defense on both accounts...sure it's a bonus on offense but how much offense does a team need? Everyone already has Bell as the guy that needs to be shooting more and has Harris scoring as well. With a more consistent Pangos (which will happen just a matter of time), there is not enough need for playing Sam and KO at the same time because of O. But everyone is needed on D. And that D lineup would be sketchy.

If Sam corrects some defense issues (which were less this year than issues KO showed last year), then Sam will likely start with KO getting backup minutes. Spangler samething.

Also, don't forget about Kyle. If he does what many on this board thinks he can, then he'll be taking minutes from the 3 spot as well as breather minutes for Bell/Pangos. Oh and there's Stockton, who will still get his minutes.

With all said, there are just too many 1,2, and 3s that are established and aren't defensive liabilities for Few to go with a Harris, Sam, and KO lineup very often, if at all. Did we ever see Harris, Sam and Sacre in at the same time this year? Don't see why Few would go with 3 bigs next year on the claim that KO can provide more offense than Sacre (which is certainly debatable at this point).

229SintoZag
03-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Can KO block shots? Do we have any evidence that he can block shots and (a subtle difference here) adequately protect the rim?

75Zag
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
How about nine months from now we all sit down with the box scores for KO's first few outings as GU's starting center (or off the bench center or forward or whatever) and THEN we argue about how great he is or is not?????? For those of us who have lived through the Bol Kong era, I trust we all know too much to sit around and debate fantasy statistics about what might happen next.

Wow. Nine Months. For those of you still young and so inclined, you can go to work this evening and have a child by November 30, which still leaves plenty of time for the GU basketball season to move ahead. If you get to work quickly, you can count on me to send some Cuban cigars to celebrate the joyous event.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2012, 02:44 PM

I have seen Mr. Apollo
Uproot trees with his bare hands
I have seen Mr Aopllo's
Body-building plan

He's the strongest man
The world has ever seen
And if you take his courses
He'll make you big and rough
And...and you can beat up bullies
Till they cry "Oh lord, oh crikey,
Let go, you rotter! Don't punish me!"

When you're tough (You're very fit)
Your voice is gruff (It sounds like grit)
You are so strong (And proud of it)
Thanks to Mr Apollo

Follow Mr. Apollo
Everybody knows he's the greatest benefactor or mankind
Follow Mr. Apollo
Everybody knows that a healthy body makes a healthy mind

You know! You know!
He's the strongest man
The world has ever seen
And if you take his courses
He'll make you big and rough
And...and you can kick the sand
Right back in their faces
Kick! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

(repeat chorus)

Yes, just give me ten years of your life
And I'll trade in that puny flab for living muscle
A physique you deserve!
Strong!
Chest and shoulders to hold your shirt up!

Five years ago I was a four-stone apology...
Today I am two separate gorillas!

No tiresome exercises!
No tricks!
No unpleasant bending!
Wrestle poodles and win!
Play beach ball!
Shave your legs! (He can do it for you)
Lope over walls!
Tease people!
Brush them aside as though they were matchsticks!
Impress your friends!

(repeat chorus)
-----------------------------------
Just thought this thread needed some Bonzo Dog Band

BobZag
03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Was it an original Hummer or the H3, because an H3 wouldn't be that impressive?

I don't know, but it had five "Biggest Loser" contestants inside as he lifted it.

WILLYMCG
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I surely agree, Kelly's savvy brain was way ahead of his ability to place his 50# calves with his slimmer upper body, like carrying weights. Past year should have done him well, can't wait to see him star and pivot like Nureyev.

IrishZagFan
03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't know, but it had five "Biggest Loser" contestants inside as he lifted it.

Irish was able to obtain a photo of KO lifting the hummer. Due to security reasons, Irish photo shopped out the contestants. Irish can't confirm or deny whether KO dyed his hair or grew a black beard.....

http://www.hummerpedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hummer-h3-with-strongman_1.jpg

Zag79
03-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Not pointing this directly at you, but as much as folks complain about hype around here, I get sick of hearing about hype complaints as much as the hype itself.

I like fandom. There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving your team.

If you want a Heisman trophy, you buy a billboard in New York. All American honors begin with grass roots hype. Folks promote their players and they promote their team.

Complaints about hype annoy me more than just about any topic. A subjective measure to say the least.

If folks can't handle emotional roller coasters, they should get out of fandom entirely.

Complaining about hype is another way of saying, "You guys promised me he was good and he wasn't at the time I wanted him to be."

Hype complaints are a cop out. Again, not singling you out, it just happens that your post was the "one millionth customeWr through the checkstand" winner.

Agreed. Falls in line with the complaints about posts regarding coaching, and x's and o's to me. It's a message board. There will be hype. There will be differing opinions, some people are right and some people are wrong. It's what makes talking about the game we love enjoyable! As for Kelly... The last time he played, the kid was giving us 6 points on 57% shooting from the floor, 44% from three, and 4 rebounds in only 13 minutes per game. Double his minutes like Sacre, and he's looking at better number all around. With a year of work and growing into his body, I'll be taking $$$ bets with anyone that believes the kid didn't greatly imrove. ;)

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
A year ago, K.O. was a player who looked like he needed more time to develop in the weight room and time to grow into his body. He had great court vision, could handle the ball well for a big man, passed the ball well, had a nice outside shot and rebounded better than any player on the team per minute played. However, he was a defensive liability because he wasn't strong enough to hold position on the low block as a center and wasn't quick enough to rotate as a wing. As a result of those two weaknesses, he was very prone to picking up early foul trouble.

I suspect that he has gotten a lot stronger during his year off. By the time he hits the court again, he will have spent almost two full years in the weight room between games. If that training and physical development gives him the ability to gain and hold position better than he did as a sophomore, we've got a 7'1" center who can dribble the ball in the open court, pull up to hit outside and mid-range shots, and pass out of double teams as well as any big man in the country. The extra strength will lead to more rebounds on both sides of the court and better positioning to score and get to the foul line on the low block. If he's picked up a little bit of lateral quickness, we'll have a matchup nightmare for opposing coaches.

The worst case scenario is that he has only improved a little bit. Even in that case, he'll still be a very solid contributor to the team.