PDA

View Full Version : How is LG doing?

FuManShoes
07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Haven't seen a whole lot on one of my favorite Zags. Is he playing pick-up ball? What's the prognosis on his back? How's his offensive development? Where does he fit in if he's ready to play again?

cheers

dim4sum
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
My thinking is that LG and Gray will face off for playing time, LG being the more potent defensive force and Gray, far and away the better shooter and finisher. However, Gray has the quickness to be a stopper on D. It's just that that aspect of the game was never expected from him under the subpar coaching at Bainbridge High.

kylasdad
07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
That "sub par" coaching developed one of the best prospects in the state. The team did ok this year to...I don't know the Bainbridge coaches but that is kind of harsh isn't it???

Vizagra
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
LG is a 3 and Gray is a 2. These two won't be directly competing for playing time. If we are looking for the incomers to bump LG i would look more toward Austin.

lothar98zag
07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
LG is a 3 and Gray is a 2. These two won't be directly competing for playing time. If we are looking for the incomers to bump LG i would look more toward Austin.
IMHO, based on the players on GUs roster, the 2 & 3 will be very interchangeable this year.

DenDiegoZag
07-19-2007, 01:12 PM
That "sub par" coaching developed one of the best prospects in the state. The team did ok this year to...I don't know the Bainbridge coaches but that is kind of harsh isn't it???

Probably a bit harsh considering that I would bet that Gray consulted with that very coach about his college choices...and look where he ended up committing to...Often it is good to have a high school/AAU coach view your program favorably...GO ZAGS!

cair3
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
LG is awesome athlete deffender and teammate, his back looks beter but his shot does not, i see the shark playing over him more than anyone

dim4sum
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
The big game--the state final--against O'Dea, a team Bainbridge beat three times previously--was a study in ineptitude on Bainbridge's part. The team was not up to it psychologically or physically. I consider that a bigtime coaching failure. That being the failure to motivate when it counts. You don't save your worse game of the season for the most important game of the season. Also, Gray was often used more as a distributor (in many games) than a scorer. That's OK if you have the horses, which Bainbridge didn't, other than its center. Bainbridge's advance was made possible because it was an inexplicably down year for Rainier Beach. Bertea just couldn't get his guys to gell as a team. I agree with the above comments about the guard spots being interchangeable.

229SintoZag
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
The big game--the state final--against O'Dea, a team Bainbridge beat three times previously--was a study in ineptitude on Bainbridge's part. The team was not up to it psychologically or physically. I consider that a bigtime coaching failure. That being the failure to motivate when it counts. You don't save your worse game of the season for the most important game of the season. Also, Gray was often used more as a distributor (in many games) than a scorer. That's OK if you have the horses, which Bainbridge didn't, other than its center. Bainbridge's advance was made possible because it was an inexplicably down year for Rainier Beach. Bertea just couldn't get his guys to gell as a team. I agree with the above comments about the guard spots being interchangeable.

Excellent point. A lot of people might be bamboozled into thinking Scott Orness and his staff did a good job coaching at Bainbridge, what with beating O'Dea 3 times, beating Beach, advancing to the finals of the 4A state championship, and developing the leading player and scrorer in the Metro League--all for a team that had not been to the state tournament since the 1980s.

But Notwithstanding those 30 or so prior games that got the team to that point, Bainbridge lost badly in the state final, and lo! Emperor Orness had no clothes. The prior season of domination was a 30-game-long fluke.

A lot of people might have missed that and mistakenly given the Bainbridge staff some credit for the turnaround.

Thanks for pointing it out for us there and setting the record straight Sherlock.

ExtremeJim
07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Damn. If Custer had 229SintoZag and 5,000 rounds, he'd have been 20-0, instead of 19-1.

former1dog
07-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Sinto,

I was going to write a similar reply earlier today and got distracted. I'm glad you wrote it instead.

Bravo.

eastsideballer
07-19-2007, 09:47 PM
All three games against Bainbridge were excellent games and yes my Irish dropped the first three but WON when it counted. I watched that game and I am here to tell you that it was O'Dea that just flat out kicked the cr#p out of Bainbridge, allowing a meager point total through the first half and killing any spirit that Gray migh have had. Give credit to to Jamaal and company and Phil Lumkin for executing a brilliant game plan.
O'Dea is a powerhouse in the 3A ranks and its hard to replace experience.

GO IRISH GO IRISH GO IRISH

Proud player and graduate of the class of 86

Angelo Roncalli
07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Lumpkin and Kalina had been there many, many times before. The Spartans hadn't.

kylasdad
07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
It is hard to beat any quality team 2 times in one year let alone three. Jeez, don't they get any credit for beating the state champs 3 times???