• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanzagger
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Mark Few

Loves to play guys out of position and go small. No denying he was trying to get our three 6fts out there together all season.

8 teams left and it looks like 5 six ft players total playing on all those teams. I'll say this......I wouldn't be surprised if that # drops to zero by the Final Four.

Length and D baby. It's not too late to change.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!
  • Ekrub
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2009

Cool story bro

Comment

• 04ZagFan
      Banned
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Vanzagger View Post
      Loves to play guys out of position and go small. No denying he was trying to get our three 6fts out there together all season.

8 teams left and it looks like 5 six ft players total playing on all those teams. I'll say this......I wouldn't be surprised if that # drops to zero by the Final Four.

Length and D baby. It's not too late to change.
      Call me when Coach Few has the talent these "length and D" players have that are still playing.

Who did you want to see play more? Carter? Hoff? Keita? Elias at the 3? Please post back quickly, I'm on the edge of my seat.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2008

I like cookies.
        What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• NEC26
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I say we just put all our current players on the old style stretching torture racks and stretch em all out over the summer.
          Few likes to win. Sometimes he uses a smaller lineup to do it. The obsession here over Stockton and three guard lineups is mind numbing.
          We should be grateful we have the quality guards we have instead we pine away for guys only Kentucky and UNC get(usually for only a year as well).

By the way Villanova has often used a four guard lineup. Very successfully I might add. Marquette as well and I'm sure there are others I am forgetting. Point is you can talk about this time and time again but it isn't going to change anything. We don't have any 6-5 point guards and won't be getting any soon.

Comment

• 04ZagFan
            Banned
            • Oct 2011

I'm sorry, I can't hold back. I need to post again. It really ticks me off when people post things like this. Gonzaga will never ever ever in a million years have the talent like Kentucky and UNC. Stop acting as if Mark Few's formula is the reason we can't ccompete with the big boys.

If Gary Bell Jr was 6 7 guess what? He wouldn't be at Gonzaga. He'd be a UNC/Duke/Kentucky. I'm sure if Mark Few had an option to recruit 6 foot 1 Kevin Pangos, or the 6 `4 athletic version of Kevin Pangos he would have picked the latter as well. Unfortunately, those options haven't been available. Ignorance, man. COME ON, MAN

Comment

• Vanzagger
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

coach Cal

called and he wants GJ back.

Dont be ashamed if few doesn't see the big picture. He's still a good coach.

Comment

• bigblahla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

A good team is like a good stew it takes time. Problem with the team is the ingredients are always changing. However, the ingredients we have now aren't going anywhere for awhile and it's quite possible the chef is creating his own culinary masterpiece at his own pace.

Something tells me he's not quite as frantic as some here to hurry his recipe and understands the importance of seasoning.

Yep somethings cooking at GU and it's gonna be tasty, so for all those who hunger for more, patience it will taste that much better.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
                "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• NEC26
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Yes thats it. Few just does not get it.

Comment

• 04ZagFan
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2011

So Vanzagger... What's your plan then? Very simple. What would have you done in the 2011-2012 season differently than Mark Few?

And don't say "recruit tall, lengthy, 5 star recruits" because, even if you don't realize it, that's not realistic.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                      Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                      • Feb 2007

called and he wants VJ back.

Dont be ashamed if few doesn't see the big picture. He's still a good coach.
                      Again? Try something new. I recommend something that's either (a) interesting, or (b) funny.
                      You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Vanzagger
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I will just leave it at this. Coach Cal and Phil Jackson love big guards. If either had been coaching here the last 8 years I don't think they would be making excuses or complaining with the talent we've had.

We have had huge skilled guards and huge athletic(or strong) forwards. Just got to be able to put it all together.

We have had a ton of these players. All recruited by other major programs.

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I will just leave it at this. Coach Cal and Phil Jackson love big guards. If either had been coaching here the last 8 years I don't think they would be making excuses or complaining with the talent we've had.

We have had huge skilled guards and huge athletic(or strong) forwards. Just got to be able to put it all together.

We have had a ton of these players. All recruited by other major programs.
                          I quit reading after your first 4 words -- your best work to date.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• NEC26
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Vanzagger I think you might enjoy following Kentucky and Calapari a lot more than the Zags.

You can enjoy long athletic and talented players every year and maybe even an occasional championship that will be vacated at later dates.

Most of all you won't have to deal with a coach that just doesn't get it.

Comment

• btzag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Its funny this topic is being brought up! I heard on the radio this morning how Boeheim is a genius because he decides to only recruit incredibly long and incredibly athletic and incredibly skilled players, just like coach Cal! My first thought was...coach Few is an idiot because he doesnt do this.

Vanzagger you must listen to this because the genius Villanova coach is on board with you! Coach Wright said that when Fab Melo(5 star center, #4 in country in 2010) got suspended Boeheim did not submit to pressure and commit to a small lineup like many others would (Few especially!) he instead (geniusly) decided to go long and big and stubbornly "stuck to his system" (which Few would not have!)....and plugged in Rakeem Christmas. I thought this was brilliant analysis until I looked it up and Christmas was a 5 star center and #2 center overall from 2011.

I also think Few should have convinced Wiltjer to come to GU. Also surprised the slimy Romar could not pry T Jones away from Cal. Oh wait a minute we were talking about GJ Vilarino right?

Comment

Working...
                              X