PDA

View Full Version : Are our expectations too high?

tyra
07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Some times I worry that our expectations are so high for this coming year (and belive me, I'm as guilty as anyone!) that anything short of a FF would be a let down. And somehow that doesn't seem right for a season that is likely to -- in any event -- have considerable success.

ZaggyStardust
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!

:allhail:

ZagMan in Philly
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Goal: to win it all every year!!!!!;)

sittingon50
07-18-2007, 06:22 PM
A year away, IMHO.

MickMick
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Goal: to win it all every year!!!!!;)

Why not? This team is on the rise...think big!!

roxdoc
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Conventional wisdom says that next year's team will be very good, but the following year will be even better with the experience factor etc. One must weigh the inexperience of our wonderful freshman class on one hand, and the possibility of one or more defections to the pros for the following year. If no defections, then probably 2 years out should be better. On the other hand at the end of next season things should be starting to gel with the freshmen. Although it is totally a WAG, I lean a bit toward next years team doing better.

As earlier threds have discussed, little things, and yes luck, play a part in the outcome in the rareified heights that we are talking about. But when the day is done, what a wonderful conundrum to have. One thing I'm sure of - our Zags will do us proud:D

former1dog
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Are our expectations too high?

YES.

Should we lower them?:confused:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

Final Four or bust baby!

MickMick
07-18-2007, 08:09 PM
We have as much to cheer about as any other college basketball fan.

MDABE80
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Tyra....this year's edition has more talent than I've seen.............ever. 4 newcomers make it a bit hard to judge.......well make it 5 if Theo counts. We're left with some terrific holdovers from last year......and you know them as well as anyone on this Board. Jeremy, Matt, Josh, Kuso, Micah, Pendo, Will Foster, LG....ALL good guys and a great team unto themselves. AND all improved after last years "issues". A team most scribes already rank in the Top 20...even without the new guys. Quite the team without the newcomers!

Add in the new guys and , while each needs development into the system, each also brings unique talent. Ira is a mountain with hops and a mature guy. I saw him over at U-district doing some agility work and he's really got some talent. Austin is just a great shooter with unusual ballhandling skills for a tall kid. Rob Sacre is a puzzle to me because I haven't seen him work. Given his pedigree and his size, he might be among the most surprising kids we've seen.

Gray is Mr Basketball this past year (POY for the State). Counts for a lot!

SO I think our Zags will be super good this year. Easily Elite 8 with some luck (always need luck) and avoidance of injury. I suppose a FF in the next year but this talent could easily get there if the kids mature fast.

Among the biggest factor we don't talk about much is Ray Giacoletti. Following him over the years and knowing him superficially, I'm thinking he not only knows basketball but he's also a guy who makes those kids want to win for him. He's a player's coach and is a bit warmer than Mark seems ( he's a good guy but so shy!).

How all this works out, I'm not sure and there are no guarantees. Nonetheless, when I look around the country, I don't see a better program with more potential or better athletes. If the team gels like it should (given its talent level), expect athleticism like we haven't seen before.........and high rankings with Elite 8 and beyond in the next 2 years. How is this apparent excellence possible in that GU is so good coming from a small school and a smaller city???? Who knows? Seems to work though. If we go at other teams with determination and lil blood in our eyes, we'll lose a few but not many. I expect a huge return to prominence this upcoming year.

wazZag
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Nice post abe. It's a matter of time, the staff has put together an amazing machine. It'll be great to kick back and watch for many years to come.

tyra
07-18-2007, 09:07 PM
OK, Abe's post did it for me (they usually do). At least an EE this year and maybe a FF. 106 days to go and the darn clock is barely moving. Argh.

Bocco
07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Why not have high expectations? IMHO if you do not have high expectations, your goals are to low. We have a great coaching staff and a group of very talented players returning from last year. They can play with anybody in the nation.

The truth be told, I hope that the coaching staff and the team has even higher expectations than anyone on this board.

Abe's summary pretty much says it all. To reach the elite 8 or the final four they will need a little luck, to go with all their talent, that being said, my expectation is that we will win it all, perhaps not this year, but next year, or the year after that, or the year after...........

deathchina
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I think GU as a program is getting to the point where the ultimate goal every season is to make the final four.

I used to think a great season meant sweet sixteen. I think we are past that now.

CDC84
07-19-2007, 08:52 AM
The one thing to keep in mind here is that this team has 5 newcomers. Granted, Theo Davis, Ira Brown, Robert Sacre, Steven Gray and Austin Daye are all quite talented to varying degrees. The team should win and be expected to win most of its games on talent alone at the start, but I don't expect the team to look entirely in sync until the staff can work out a rotation, find which players work best with other players, and until all the newcomers have some experience under their belt. So my expectations for the team are going to change as the season moves along....I hope the expectations are higher come March.

lothar98zag
07-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Lothar's expectation, every day of every season: Win the next game on the schedule.

Doesn't seem like too much to expect, does it?

zagster318
07-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I think GU as a program is getting to the point where the ultimate goal every season is to make the final four.

I used to think a great season meant sweet sixteen. I think we are past that now.

Look at what Florida has done the past two years. Granted, they were favored this past season, but what about the previous year? I don't think one publication had them in the preseason top 25. For this upcoming season, anything less than an EE for the Zags would be disappointing. For 2008-2009, assuming everyone stays(big assumption), I say it's a national championship or bust.

sonuvazag
07-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Questing for a National Championship is probably the kind of thing that gets our star players' blood pumping so I hope they embrace that when the drills in July suck and game time feels so far away. DAGGONEIT! When will the off-season end!

There are many ways to measure the success of a season. I'd probably put a bet on GU when I'm at Vegas with the 40/1 odds to win it all. So, no pressure guys... I'm only counting on you to finance my future.

BobZag
07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
UW last year had Burger Boys Hawes and Brockman on the frontline, with top-50 Pondexter and Nelson on the wing, and a top-100 backcourt of Oliver, Appleby, Dentmon... Didn't even make the NIT.

Arizona had Marcus Williams, Mustafa Shakur, Ivan Ridenovich, Budinger, and a host of other good ones... 1st Round flame out.

Oregon toiled in sub-mediocrity for years with Brooks, Hairston, Taylor, Leunen, et al, before finally coming alive.

So while on paper everything points to a great season, you simply never ever know for sure. And 08/09 will only be better than this coming season if Josh and Pargo stay, with Pargo being the most vital cog in the wheel. If Josh bolts, Daye, Sacre, Theo, Ira and even Foster (needs at least another year) can fill that void. Not so easy with Pargo.

Zags-Bsee
07-19-2007, 10:51 AM
About 10 years ago when I started watching Zag basketball, I fell in love with the consistent almost perfect effort team wide on offense and defense. I assumed it was great kids with excellent coaching.

The last couple of years, it seems to me that as the talent stepped up like Adam or slipped away like Josh that the consistent effort often wasn't there. (maybe the Memphis game was like old Zag BB)

I have hopes the deep and consisten level of talent will give us a team like that again. Players were almost always in the best defensive position, and great team defense backed them up. And an offense that runs plays that drives opposing teams crazy trying to defend. Most of all seeing any player step up to make a key block or steal, or a back door layup with the perfect pass every minute of the game.

The last couple of years, I have seen a lot of teams that play like the Zags used to play. Butler beating us after the Carolina game was classic Zag style of play that is extremely effective.

I'm no coach or not even that bright about the game of basketball, so I could be off track, but I know I loved watching them play for a different reason then watching Adam or Josh play the game. A great team atmosphere gets players to play above their abilities in key moments.

I hope this year our team returns to inspired team play. Not a complaint, just a personal desire to see that chemistry again between the players. Years ago, I think that is what made us a successful Cinderella story. I know I used to have a deep satsifaction watching Zags play basketball. Truely the best sporting event ever. A small community taking on the world playing as a team and winning every game in my mind, cause they were inspiring.

cggonzaga
07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
UW last year had Burger Boys Hawes and Brockman on the frontline, with top-50 Pondexter and Nelson on the wing, and a top-100 backcourt of Oliver, Appleby, Dentmon... Didn't even make the NIT.

Arizona had Marcus Williams, Mustafa Shakur, Ivan Ridenovich, Budinger, and a host of other good ones... 1st Round flame out.

Oregon toiled in sub-mediocrity for years with Brooks, Hairston, Taylor, Leunen, et al, before finally coming alive.

Teams coached by guys known for not getting everything out of their talent. The one great thing coach Few and staff does (yes, I'm actually giving them a compliment :) ) is get the most out of their talent.

Nevtelen
07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
The last couple of years, I have seen a lot of teams that play like the Zags used to play. Butler beating us after the Carolina game was classic Zag style of play that is extremely effective.

I'm no coach or not even that bright about the game of basketball, so I could be off track, but I know I loved watching them play for a different reason then watching Adam or Josh play the game. A great team atmosphere gets players to play above their abilities in key moments.

I hope this year our team returns to inspired team play. Not a complaint, just a personal desire to see that chemistry again between the players. Years ago, I think that is what made us a successful Cinderella story. I know I used to have a deep satsifaction watching Zags play basketball. Truely the best sporting event ever. A small community taking on the world playing as a team and winning every game in my mind, cause they were inspiring.

You don't think that, say, last year's team played with chemistry? They certainly had their issues, that's for sure, but chemistry, to me, was one thing they certainly had by the end of last season.

As far as expectations, I have to agree with CDC - yeah, there's a lot of hype, but 5 of our players have never stepped on the court in a D-I game. That's a pretty big chunk of the team. They're talented, yes, but they'll need time to get up to speed and they'll have "freshmam moments", even "freshman games". Experience is as valuable as talent. Just ask UW, as BZ pointed out.

Also, I'd say that with very very few exceptions, anything beyond an EE has as much to do with luck as skill and coaching. Things just have to bounce your way in addition to all the preparation going well. Still, fans are demanding. That's why we're fans. Personally, I'm hoping for at least a Sweet 16 this year. Depending on who stays around next year, I'd hope for at least an EE.

RenoZag
07-19-2007, 08:16 PM
The pre-season reminds me of baseball's spring training. Hope springs eternal, everyone is undefeated, etc.

There's more hope & optimism on the board heading into this year and while there are some doubts floating about, I think the GUB sentiment is more upbeat and less "woe is me" than the summer of 2006. JMO.

MickMick
07-19-2007, 08:49 PM
It is time to indulge.

I am a big Seahawk fan. When they went to the Super Bowl, I thought they would remain a top tier team for at least a couple more seasons. Although they were still good, they were not near the same team the following season.

You simply cannot take those unique, wonderful seasons for granted. They don't happen nearly as often as you hope for. And they sneak up on you when they do.

Think about it..The Zags could lose Josh and Jeremy this year. Five years from now, we may be saying this was the best team in Zag history.

So I say this:

....the Zags have never been this talented from top to bottom. Why not splurge? Just indulge yourself. Believe they have a shot....because they do. Love every moment of the season and tell others of the great pride you have in this team. Don't take this magic for granted. Cheer the heck out of em, and for gosh sakes record a few games. You will regret not having them. If there was ever a season to begin with high hopes, this is it. And don't be bitter when the magic abruptly ends.

Now repeat after me...."The Zags can take it all this year."

brasszag
07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Let's just make it to the Dance - then we can assess what to expect from the "second season"

I'd like to break the 30 win barrier though for the first time at GU :-)

lawzag
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I like your attitude Mick,

my mantra this year will be "believe...":)

kje1945
07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
It just shows that we've arrived. USC in football. Duke in basketball. Maybe Oregon State in baseball. Why not expect the unexpected?

BobZag
07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
It is time to indulge.

I am a big Seahawk fan. When they went to the Super Bowl, I thought they would remain a top tier team for at least a couple more seasons. Although they were still good, they were not near the same team the following season.

You simply cannot take those unique, wonderful seasons for granted. They don't happen nearly as often as you hope for. And they sneak up on you when they do.

Think about it..The Zags could lose Josh and Jeremy this year. Five years from now, we may be saying this was the best team in Zag history.

So I say this:

....the Zags have never been this talented from top to bottom. Why not splurge? Just indulge yourself. Believe they have a shot....because they do. Love every moment of the season and tell others of the great pride you have in this team. Don't take this magic for granted. Cheer the heck out of em, and for gosh sakes record a few games. You will regret not having them. If there was ever a season to begin with high hopes, this is it. And don't be bitter when the magic abruptly ends.

Now repeat after me...."The Zags can take it all this year."

A blue ribbon post, MM.

ZaggyStardust
07-20-2007, 09:42 PM
My expectations are high this year because we are SOOOO deep. I truly believe there will be so much competition for playing time that everyone is going to bring their "A" game every time! I happen to think this is the perfect storm if you will. (I know this was discussed in another thread about minutes recently...)

As a lot of you know, I'm an AZ Wildcat Fan as well. (I must say though the Zags are my first love)... But, little things always stick in my craw - like the fact that Jason Terry CAME OFF THE BENCH the year they won the championship! He actually was up for a starting role and turned it down saying he felt it was "BEST FOR THE TEAM" if he were the spark off the bench. Now that is the attitude of a Champion.

One last little note - I heard an interview with our boy Pendo a couple of weeks ago and one thing that really struck me was him saying that the guys are ALL working harder than they ever have since he arrived at GU. That in itself allows my expectations to soar. Like has been stated before, the talent is definitely there. It's all about teamwork and chemistry Baby, and if the end of the season last year is any indication, well our guys are gonna be just fine.. Remember what Micah said last year - they became a tight knit "band of brothers"....

Man, am I psyched..... GO ZAGS!!!!!!