PDA

View Full Version : Ellias Harris! Come back next year!

Reborn
03-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I just watched Draymond Green lead Michigan St. to another victory. Green really matured between last year and this year and has become perhaps the best player in the country. I believe Elias Harris could mature in this way also. He is real good now, but could be great next year. I hope he comes back in order for him to reach his potential. He hasn't reached it yet, imo. His outside shot is improving alot, and so are his moves. He just needs one more year to polish them all up. I would also like to see him develop the kind of confidence that Draymond has, as well as the ability to play 100% whenever he's on the court.

Hartsock and Jones will be gone from the WCC next year, and Elias should be able to average a double double in conference next year. He had some great rebounding games this year, but did not demonstrate that in the NCAA tournament. He also really needs to learn to play smarter on defense because he had a very bad habit during much of the season of picking up two fouls early in the game, on very stupid fouls. He needs more polish, imo, and coming back to play at GU would be a great chance for him to leave as a first team All-American.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Ironically, with the addition of Karnowski, we're so loaded at the 4 and 5 spot that if Elias left, it would actually clear things up a bit. If he comes back, one of him, Sam or Kelly will not be starting. That being said, if he does return, it may allow Ryan to pull a Kelly and red shirt.

MDABE80
03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
May the best kid play. I wouldn't let Ryan sit for another year. We didn't see what he can do........he's exceptional. I'm surpised Few used him so little THIS year.
Sam will get more time if he shapes up and plays like he did in the NCAA tourney...he's too good a shooter and quck off his feet to sit much.

I'm still waiting to see how this RS year works out for KO. I'd be surprised, with all the promise of the new kids, to see Elias leave. He needs and wants his degree and he's got a very bright future if he improves further like he did this past year.

bartruff1
03-18-2012, 02:27 PM
In additon to WCC honors....Harris made the National Association of Basketball Coaches District 9 1st Team.... that is not going to be easy to replace.. I would not be surprised if he doesn't make All American Honorable Mention..

gamagin
03-18-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd be very surprised to see him leave. He broke out this year and can further refine & define his game next year. That versus trying to do that in a much less inviting and friendly environment.

If he leaves, I'd be shocked. He came here to perfect his game. He's getting closer.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2012, 02:35 PM
May the best kid play. I wouldn't let Ryan sit for another year. We didn't see what he can do........he's exceptional. I'm surpised Few used him so little THIS year.
Sam will get more time if he shapes up and plays like he did in the NCAA tourney...he's too good a shooter and quck off his feet to sit much.

I'm still waiting to see how this RS year works out for KO. I'd be surprised, with all the promise of the new kids, to see Elias leave. He needs and wants his degree and he's got a very bright future if he improves further like he did this past year.

Although I agree with everything that you wrote, the same was said about Kelly. If Elias stays, where's Ryan gonna get the minutes? He's strictly a pf and will be stuck behind Elias and Sam for minutes. If anything it would benefit him and the team to spread out the years.

milehighzagfan
03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I just saw the interviews with Rob and E. When he was discussing leadership for next year I did not see a lot of decisiveness or eye contact. I think he has not decided about coming back. This would be "his team" next year and I hope he returns.

MDABE80
03-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I think the offense is more flexiible Spy...we'll see though. Honestly I can't see how Ryan can't be off the floor all that much. Lots depends on the offseason acquisitions in the post. If KO fills the bill I'd be pretty happy. We do have multiple players who play multiple positions though and the good ones do share time. I'd say that having Elias and the 2 guards settles 3 of those spots. Ryan at the 4 pleases me. lol I don't assign the spots...So I'd say a 4 and a 5 are open. Sam's a killer when he gets off his duff....who he shares time with is unknown. We need a very good big...a rebounder and scorer...and a reliable wing...IF Hart works on his shooting, I'd like him lots more...

2 spots for bigs...critical. We'll see.

Section 116
03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Milehighzagfan,

When I first glanced at your screen name I saw mi "lehigh" zag fan and I chuckled. What the heck, as of now you still have a team in the dance!

Baldwinzag
03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Meehan's brief comment & a quote re: Elias' future:

Harris said he’ll take some time to decide whether he returns for his senior year or declares for the NBA draft. “I didn’t think about it, I was focused on the season,” he said. “I’ll know more in a few weeks.”

More post-game commentary here:

Buckeyes had plenty of weapons (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/18/buckeyes-had-plenty-of-weapons/)

04ZagFan
03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Elias better be back or we've gotten a lot weaker. Spangler has a long ways to go until he can play 20+ minutes. He's tough and he can rebound, but he's not likely to be a starter next year. Dower is a lock to start, that much I know.

BMAN
03-18-2012, 06:37 PM
If Harris comes back and Karnowski does come it will be an interesting problem for Few. Karnowski has said he won't play college ball unless he gets significant minutes his first year. I assume he won't come unless he is promised that time. I have been told that Kelly only stayed after the coaches promised him significant playing time after his redshirt year. If Harris comes back and Karnowski does come how is Few going to give the 3 of them and Dower all significant minutes at the 4 and 5. And then there is Spangler. Few would almost be forced to play Harris for some minutes at the 3 . Next year could be interesting.

04ZagFan
03-18-2012, 06:41 PM
If Harris comes back and Karnowski does come it will be an interesting problem for Few. Karnowski has said he won't play college ball unless he gets significant minutes his first year. I assume he won't come unless he is promised that time. I have been told that Kelly only stayed after the coaches promised him significant playing time after his redshirt year. If Harris comes back and Karnowski does come how is Few going to give the 3 of them and Dower all significant minutes at the 4 and 5. And then there is Spangler. Few would almost be forced to play Harris for some minutes at the 3 . Next year could be interesting.

That is interesting. Sigh. I guess we might have to relive the "Elias at the 3" drama.

cjm720
03-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Elias could have a very special season next year. Stay in Spokane, work your tail off and expect nothing short of a national champioship.

Baldwinzag
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Elias WILL test NBA waters this off-season, but I have an inkling he will hear what we already know:

-- a tweener and no projected NBA position, at least not yet.

-- take another step and perfect your rebounding, average a double-double, if Rob Jones can at SMC, so can you.

-- refine your ball-handling. You mind and legs feature some pretty good moves, yet you forget the ball or have it stripped too often when driving to the lane.

-- become an elite shooter. If you're to become a combo-forward at this level, 45% from 3pt in college is a must, with over a 100 attempts next season. Show us you can become consistent.

-- show us you are more than garbage buckets, put-backs, alley-oops. Can you hit the pick 'n pop? Your screen and roll is below average, not quick enough, and no reason Gonzaga shouldn't rely on this if you're able to hit a mid-range shot.

-- your defensive effort has improved, yet your technique has not. You've shown the ability to score on NBA-level PF's, yet you may be the weakest defender on your college team. Work harder at your technique and fundamentals on this side of the court.

-- bottom line, you're on our radar due to your intriguing perimeter shot, sheer athleticism, and ability to play a couple positions, however, you're currently a mid-2nd Rounder at best, most likely a late pick or undrafted this year. That said, if you work on the above and show us your 3pt shot is legit, you can become a better ball-handler, which has plagued you since Germany days, and become a more consistent defender next season, and dominant rebounder, you have a GREAT shot at developing yourself into mid- to late- 1st Round pick after your Senior season.

Its worth the risk, besides your lead guards are pretty good and only getting better, they could make you look even better in their high-octane offense.

Verdict: return to Gonzaga, just like Jeffrey Taylor did for Vandy his SR season and he's going to be a 1st Round pick. You two are pretty similar players. Take notes.

229SintoZag
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Elias WILL test NBA waters this off-season, but I have an inkling he will hear what we already know:

-- a tweener and no projected NBA position, at least not yet.

-- take another step and perfect your rebounding, average a double-double, if Rob Jones can at SMC, so can you.

-- refine your ball-handling. You mind and legs feature some pretty good moves, yet you forget the ball or have it stripped too often when driving to the lane.

-- become an elite shooter. If you're to become a combo-forward at this level, 45% from 3pt in college is a must, with over a 100 attempts next season. Show us you can become consistent.

-- show us you are more than garbage buckets, put-backs, alley-oops. Can you hit the pick 'n pop? Your screen and roll is below average, not quick enough, and no reason Gonzaga shouldn't rely on this if you're able to hit a mid-range shot.

-- your defensive effort has improved, yet your technique has not. You've shown the ability to score on NBA-level PF's, yet you may be the weakest defender on your college team. Work harder at your technique and fundamentals on this side of the court.

-- bottom line, you're on our radar due to your intriguing perimeter shot, sheer athleticism, and ability to play a couple positions, however, you're currently a mid-2nd Rounder at best, most likely a late pick or undrafted this year. That said, if you work on the above and show us your 3pt shot is legit, you can become a better ball-handler, which has plagued you since Germany days, and become a more consistent defender next season, and dominant rebounder, you have a GREAT shot at developing yourself into mid- to late- 1st Round pick after your Senior season.

Its worth the risk, besides your lead guards are pretty good and only getting better, they could make you look even better in their high-octane offense.

Verdict: return to Gonzaga, just like Jeffrey Taylor did for Vandy his SR season and he's going to be a 1st Round pick. You two are pretty similar players. Take notes.

I would add: use your senior year to learn how not to get whistled for about one or two avoidable traveling calls per game.

Of course, since they don't call this in the NBA, maybe it is not worth worrying about anyway if that is his goal....

75Zag
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
it appears that EH and I have the same chance of making the NBA next year. I am 58 and according to my wife and my heart doctor I need to lose 58 pounds, but I am pretty sure that EH and I will attract the same level of interest from the NBA. Because you can't go less than zero, right?

Harris appears to be a good guy, but I really hope he is getting good advice. I think he could make a million a year playing in Germany next year. A million a year is chump change to primo NBA players. I assume Derrick Rose gives his girlfriend a million a year to spend on shoes. But I don't think EH is going there, and if he believes he is going there, he could be cruelly disappointed.

Best to EH and his family.

Reborn
03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Karnowski has said he won't play college ball unless he gets significant minutes his first year. I assume he won't come unless he is promised that time.

under these conditions I hope Few does not make that kind of a promise to him. I have never had the feeling that he is THAT good. He's not in the same category as either Pangos or Bell. I doubt that he can beat Ryan out.

NEC26
03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
under these conditions I hope Few does not make that kind of a promise to him. I have never had the feeling that he is THAT good. He's not in the same category as either Pangos or Bell. I doubt that he can beat Ryan out.

Agreed. I know I haven't seen a lot of his play but what little I have did not show me a guy thats going to demand a lot of playing time as a freshman.

Reborn
03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Karnowski has said he won't play college ball unless he gets significant minutes his first year. I assume he won't come unless he is promised that time.

04ZagFan
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
it appears that EH and I have the same chance of making the NBA next year. I am 58 and according to my wife and my heart doctor I need to lose 58 pounds, but I am pretty sure that EH and I will attract the same level of interest from the NBA. Because you can't go less than zero, right?

Harris appears to be a good guy, but I really hope he is getting good advice. I think he could make a million a year playing in Germany next year. A million a year is chump change to primo NBA players. I assume Derrick Rose gives his girlfriend a million a year to spend on shoes. But I don't think EH is going there, and if he believes he is going there, he could be cruelly disappointed.

Best to EH and his family.

Seriously?

He's a projected 2nd round pick for the 2012 draft.. A simple google search would help you avoid being called out.

And why would he leave this year for Europe..? Like I said to you in another thread, Europe will always be there for him. His NBA stock will only get better with another year at the college level. Certainly won't effect his chances to play in Europe after college. No offense, but it seems you don't have a clue what you are talking about here.

EngineerZag
03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
That is interesting. Sigh. I guess we might have to relive the "Elias at the 3" drama.

I think Elias at the 3 is actually a pretty good idea ... that's where he would play in the NBA anyway, isn't it?

04ZagFan
03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
I think Elias at the 3 is actually a pretty good idea ... that's where he would play in the NBA anyway, isn't it?

I would say Elias has made strides as a perimeter player every season...But I don't think Elias HAS to be defined. He's not going to be a franchise player. Likely a bench player at the next level. Could be like a Jeff Green... He can play the 3, he can play the 4. Situational.

ZagFanInNC
03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I would say Elias has made strides as a perimeter player every season...But I don't think Elias HAS to be defined. He's not going to be a franchise player. Likely a bench player at the next level. Could be like a Jeff Green... He can play the 3, he can play the 4. Situational.

Right now E is tweener. He needs to do one of two things:

1- Spend the entire off season doing dribbling drills so that he develops a handle.

or

2- Continue to develop his post game, strength, rebounding, defense.

He could play in the league as an undersized 4 but I would think he would have a better chance as a 3. Either way there is work to do NBA wise.

I can't wait for next year, I think I will continue to develop and be a great leader.

zagzilla
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Seriously?

He's a projected 2nd round pick for the 2012 draft.. A simple google search would help you avoid being called out.

And why would he leave this year for Europe..? Like I said to you in another thread, Europe will always be there for him. His NBA stock will only get better with another year at the college level. Certainly won't effect his chances to play in Europe after college. No offense, but it seems you don't have a clue what you are talking about here.

I can see that 60 day timeout you earned did a lot to improve your manners 04ZF. Congratulations. You are the motivation for me to learn how to use the ignore feature on this board.

JIMMYMAC
03-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Call me crazy but I don't think Spangler's minutes are going to be an issue. Look at Sam Dower. He'll be a jr next year and is an offensive beast and he played second fiddle with regards to minutes. I would think Spangler realizes the value he has with being in the same class as GBJ and KP, knowing they have the potential to go where no class has gone before. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Spangler fan and think he's a specimen. Grotesquely good. Am I crazy to think he will won't take issue being backup to E, Dower and Olynyk? Spokena loves him and he fits right in with the "GU Family". He'll have the chance to compete for the spot for sure and get plenty of opportunities for minutes. Go ahead, call me crazy.

04ZagFan
03-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I can see that 60 day timeout you earned did a lot to improve your manners 04ZF. Congratulations. You are the motivation for me to learn how to use the ignore feature on this board.

Yeah, I'm way our of line, you know, being right and stuff. Forgive me for trying to educate someone who clearly needed it. :clap:

CDC84
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
If Elias comes out this year he might as well get his passport. He would be one of the last players taken in the 2nd round at best. This is going to be a much stronger draft than the last one. For this reason alone, I am almost certain he will remain at Gonzaga. He might as well because it's the only way he can improve his stock. The days of "testing the waters" are over because of the new draft decision deadline. He might as well finish his senior year and collect his degree because the money will always be available in Europe.

TexasZagFan
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I'm way our of line, you know, being right and stuff. Forgive me for trying to educate someone who clearly needed it. :clap:

Not only do you need instructions in manners, but it appears that the "Preview Post" button can be your friend.

Baldwinzag
03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
ESPN's Chad Ford released his first Mock 1.0 draft list today.

He's updated his list of Top-100 NBA prospects in College hoops.

Elias Harris currently ranks #99 of 100. He wasn't projected as a draft pick for 2012, yet Ford has been wrong many times before.

Positives:
Long, athletic player
Explosive leaper
Physical, NBA body
Excellent rebounder
Emerging offensive game
Runs the floor well, quick

Negatives:
Not great at creating his own shot
Gets a lot of garbage points
Needs to work on his ball handling

Mock Draft Prediction: Second Round/Undrafted

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-20-2012, 11:58 AM
FWIW, Wesley Johnson was 23 when he entered the NBA draft. Didn't seem to hurt draft position.

tobizag
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
elias might as well test the waters, but he's not going anywhere. i'll eat my couch if he does.

gu03alum
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I wonder why this thread even exists. Has Elias or anyone who knows him given any indication that he might not come back? After skimming the posts on here it appears no one has any idea what his intentions are.

gamagin
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I wonder why this thread even exists. Has Elias or anyone who knows him given any indication that he might not come back? After skimming the posts on here it appears no one has any idea what his intentions are.

said after the OSU loss that he was going to see if his stock has risen and by how much (my words, he said something else that meant the same thing).

Otoh, you might ask the same question about the genesis of the Spangler Redshirt thread.

I haven't seen him or anyone suggest he is even thinking about taking a RS. That one seems to have appeared out of whole cloth right here on the River City GUB.

DADoZAG
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
…Otoh, you might ask the same question about the genesis of the Spangler Redshirt thread.

I haven't seen him or anyone suggest he is even thinking about taking a RS. That one seems to have appeared out of whole cloth right here on the River City GUB.

Actually there was a seed planted a few weeks back, by BZ I believe, in a post that mentioned Ryan taking the red shirt next year similar to KO. It seems to me the word “might” was in there, but…

… can I find that post? No. Perhaps I dreamt it but I don’t think so.

The whole thread, like this one, is full of conjecture but what else do we have to talk about right now? Next year’s lineup is conjecture, team expectations are conjecture, GBII being the go to guy is conjecture. We can’t just keep posting on how great a ZAG Big Rob was/is/will be or that it’s too bad Quise didn’t have a better year, or that all we needed was a couple of shots to fall here and there, or...

Wanna talk about WCC refs?

Go ZAGS!

gamagin
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Actually there was a seed planted a few weeks back, by BZ I believe, in a post that mentioned Ryan taking the red shirt next year similar to KO. It seems to me the word “might” was in there, but…

… can I find that post? No. Perhaps I dreamt it but I don’t think so.

The whole thread, like this one, is full of conjecture but what else do we have to talk about right now? Next year’s lineup is conjecture, team expectations are conjecture, GBII being the go to guy is conjecture. We can’t just keep posting on how great a ZAG Big Rob was/is/will be or that it’s too bad Quise didn’t have a better year, or that all we needed was a couple of shots to fall here and there, or...

Wanna talk about WCC refs?

Go ZAGS!

but when EH talks about looking to going pro, that's different. There's credibility there. imo.

If BZ is the source of this Spangs rumor & subsequent thread, he at least does have credibility. I don't recall anyone reporting this as even a remote possibility.

If I brought it up (as an example), I believe it would only be fair to do so by pointing out this is my thought about so and so in order to set the level of discussion where it belongs: pure speculation without any basis in fact.

Just to be fair. No ? We're all only as good as our sources. And there are many good thinkers on here, too. I don't mind hearing what they may think about a situation or a Zag.

Otoh, having something made up surface as serious discussion without any source or credibility is just gossip. What's the point of that ?

cjm720
03-21-2012, 07:02 AM
The way I recall BZ's mention of Spangler was simply the use of common sense. No insider info, just that if it worked for Kelly and we have a log jam, it could work for Spangler.

U Zig, I Zag
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Big Bang Spangs just needs to do a little of the Jeremy Pargo summer workout routine (from last year) and get more aggressive on offense. He deferred on offense and was figuring out defense last year in limited minutes against guys that aren't his teammates.

He is not going to RS and will make a good contribution next year, IMHO.

Baldwinzag
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm aware of the log jam, yet I wonder if Karn would be asked to RS before Spang?

Coach Few admitted Ryan was the best rebounder he's recruited and scouted in a very long time and the best, by far, in the 2011 class.

How do you keep a kid of his toughness, strength, work ethic, magnet hands off the floor for your team? No way.

Plus, he's shown the ability to knock down shots from the elbow on every attempt I've witnessed. This is a "harder than it looks" shot for bigs and one we rarely utilize as Elias couldn't hit the pick 'n pop unless it was from 3pt.

In addition to his uncanny ability on the boards, Ryan could be an excellent zone break with his ability to hit that shot and his quick baseline Up-and-Under move. This went unnoticed but Spangler was the quickest with the ball of any big we had this season. He keeps the ball high and makes a move, which he was pretty darn effective when given the opportunity. Of course he's not nearly as refined or have an many moves as a Dower, or naturally athletic like Elias, or as tall and finesse as KO, but damn almighty, he makes a difference when he plays.

His defense was another area that was impressive. He doesn't allow opposing players easy position in the post, unlike Mr. Dower and even Mr. Harris, especially vs West Va, where he was pushing, muscling, fighting their two massive bigs out of the paint. I'll take this any day, along with being the best rebounder, toughest player, quickest moves albeit unrefined at this point.

I realize we go 5-deep, but I have to admit, I think Coach Few would literally LOL at the thought of sitting Spangler for year, in a time when strength & toughness is a question mark with the rest of the players on next year's roster.

Unbiased
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm aware of the log jam, yet I wonder if Karn would be asked to RS before Spang?

Coach Few admitted Ryan was the best rebounder he's recruited and scouted in a very long time and the best, by far, in the 2011 class.

How do you keep a kid of his toughness, strength, work ethic, magnet hands off the floor for your team? No way.

Plus, he's shown the ability to knock down shots from the elbow on every attempt I've witnessed. This is a "harder than it looks" shot for bigs and one we rarely utilize as Elias couldn't hit the pick 'n pop unless it was from 3pt.

In addition to his uncanny ability on the boards, Ryan could be an excellent zone break with his ability to hit that shot and his quick baseline Up-and-Under move. This went unnoticed but Spangler was the quickest with the ball of any big we had this season. He keeps the ball high and makes a move, which he was pretty darn effective when given the opportunity. Of course he's not nearly as refined or have an many moves as a Dower, or naturally athletic like Elias, or as tall and finesse as KO, but damn almighty, he makes a difference when he plays.

His defense was another area that was impressive. He doesn't allow opposing players easy position in the post, unlike Mr. Dower and even Mr. Harris, especially vs West Va, where he was pushing, muscling, fighting their two massive bigs out of the paint. I'll take this any day, along with being the best rebounder, toughest player, quickest moves albeit unrefined at this point.

I realize we go 5-deep, but I have to admit, I think Coach Few would literally LOL at the thought of sitting Spangler for year, in a time when strength & toughness is a question mark with the rest of the players on next year's roster.

The Zags must have another Spangler on the roster because I don't recognize the one you're describing.

DADoZAG
03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
The Zags must have another Spangler on the roster because I don't recognize the one you're describing.

For those that must see to believe…

I think it’s at about the 4:00 minute mark of the first half against West Virginia, there was a play that I believe demonstrates the potential residing inside Ryan Spangler. If you’ve got the game recorded, check it out.

If you don’t, you might not be a product of the 70’s as some of us are, and you might remember…

Following a shot by WVU Ryan was essentially blocked out for a defensive rebound. Instead of preparing to try and jump over the back of the WVU player (or just leaning on his back as others often do), Ryan made a quick lateral move to get around the blocker and attacked the rim. In doing so, he got to and controlled the rebound with both hands beating two Mountaineers to the ball.

But that ain’t the point of this long post. Because of physics, his forward momentum couldn’t be stopped in mid air. He came down planting both feet inside the base line. His momentum continued to carry him towards the out of bounds, but instead of stepping out, he let his upper body feel the effects of inertia while keeping his feet planted much as the greatest NFL receivers do after catching a pass at the back of the end zone. But this ain’t football, and Ryan needed to do something with the ball. As he fell forward, he flips the ball to KP who’s toward the right corner along the base line, while still getting both hands back down to the floor in time to stop his fall before his nose is driven into the hardwood. Keep in mind that Ryan’s nose had already been bloodied by the playing WVU mascot and his left hand had at least two fingers taped together from the injury mid season.

Sure, one play DOES NOT prove ability. But one play CAN demonstrate potential.

This single play demonstrates Ryan’s drive, his toughness, his IQ. It demonstrates his current athleticism despite barely being physically mature, if he even is (the young man’s beard is pretty immature leading me to think there’s a bit of baking left for Ryan, he ain’t all cooked yet).

For those that still want to question, fine. Don’t be a believer. But in a few years, when you finally get enough chances to see what this young man can do, drop those that already believe a PM and demonstrate your IQ, your toughness, your maturity…

…and enjoy the crow entree.

We’ve got about two months until the NBA deadline right? By then we’ll know about E, we might know about Karnavour (I love that nickname Kiddwell), we might know about ADV or Mark MC. But we still won’t know about any red shirts.

I hope something else comes along to talk about before the first game of the season.

Go ZAGS!

ZagsObserver
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Why are we talking about Spangler? I love him and all but this is a "please come back Harris" thread. On that note - please come back Mr. Harris - arguably the most talented and most important spoke in the GU machine!

zagzilla
03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Harris will be back. That is our consolation prize for a first weekend exit from the dance. If Elias had a monster tourney and led us on a deep run, we'd be happy for that but waving good bye.

As it turned out he was not much pf a factor for a team that advanced one game in the dance. Foul trouble in the WVU game and overshadowed by Pangos. More foul trouble and good (but not great) numbers against OSU will keep him far down the draft lists.

Unless he needs the money badly enough to play in Europe, he knows he has a better chance to shine next year with a more experienced team around him.

ZZ

maynard g krebs
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Elias Harris currently ranks #99 of 100. He wasn't projected as a draft pick for 2012, yet Ford has been wrong many times before.

That 99 ranking is of all players in CBB, not those projected to enter the draft this year. One of the sites, at least, has EH as the 59th pick.

Baldwinzag
03-22-2012, 03:22 PM
un(sur)real year in college hoops! haven't seen anything like it due to EVERYBODY and their dog is "eyeing" and "declaring" for the draft. Chalk it up to the economy or the past NBA lockout fears, but my goodness, its the deepest draft in over a decade.

Elias should stay. Initially, I thought he should go, but he'll be un-drafted or bottom of 2nd round in this season's pool. Next year, based off all the '13 mock drafts, should be much more open, esp at SF/PF positions. This year, wow, a lot of a disappoint will be had. . .

Just take a moment read through a couple Chad Ford recent tweets to see every player of Elias' size and most w/ better #'s are declaring -- numerous freshman and sophs too:

https://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider