PDA

View Full Version : Where does ESPN get some of these guys?

cggonzaga
07-18-2007, 02:34 PM
2. Charlotte Bobcats
(added Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley; lost Brevin Knight; replaced Bernie Bickerstaff with Sam Vincent)

While cynics will claim that frugal Bobcats owner Robert Johnson only signed off on the Richardson deal because he had to get over the minimum salary floor, there's no question that the deal addressed a huge weakness that has plagued the Cats throughout their existence.

Richardson is a reliable scorer and rebounder -- one that will help push rookie bust Adam Morrison out of the rotation if he struggles again -- and gives the Bobcats a much-needed go-to guy late in games. It also allows sharpshooter Matt Carroll to shift to a more suitable sixth-man role, in which his defensive shortcomings won't be so glaring. As a late first-rounder, Dudley could be surprisingly effective too -- don't be shocked if he's earning important minutes by season's end. Add it up and a playoff run doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

There's just going to be people that will never like Morrison. I wonder what will be said after he tears it up this year. The stupid thing is he averaged 13ppg as a rookie in the NBA. Do people not realize what a feat that is? Many veterans don't average that many. A lot of people will eat crow after next year.

DavyZag
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa... I'm as big of an Ammo fan as the next guy and I agree that he is held to a different standard than a lot of other young NBA players, but come on... you can't question John Hollinger! The guy is totally respected by everyone and is a pioneer in trying to critically analyze basketball stats. Every heard of efficiency ratings? Well... he invented them.

I'm from Portland, so I remember him from his days at OregonLive. From there, he went on to be Sports Illustrated's basketball editor and now he is a freelancer and works with teams as well as writes regular articles for ESPN.

Here's his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hollinger

You can disagre with him, but don't try to discredit him as some crazy yahoo or something.

cggonzaga
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Aaaawww man, now you really made me dislike him. The worst kind of reporter, the "stat guy". Ask how many athletes respect this kind of reporter. The one that automatically claims a guy isn't good because his "stats" don't support it. Sports, for those that have played, know that there is so much more to the importance of an athlete or game than the stats. I'm not discrediting him as unknowledgable but his analysis of Morrison (as a rookie bust and ready to be ousted of the lineup) is ridiculous.

pbriz
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Im as big of Morrison fan as any (still get into arguments with friends over him and JJ) but in all reality Morrison may have been one of the worst players in the league last year. Face it, he only shot 38 percent from the field while not dishing out many assists or getting many rebounds. He also didn't play defense and didn't help out the organization by the incident where he flipped off the fan. All Gonzaga and Morrison bias aside, I really don't blame Charlotte for making the moves that they did.

On the other hand, to call someone a bust after one season is ridiculous unless they had a career ending injury. We all know Morrison and he isn't the type to give up after one bad season. Give him a few years and he will be greatly improved.

cggonzaga
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Im as big of Morrison fan as any (still get into arguments with friends over him and JJ) but in all reality Morrison may have been one of the worst players in the league last year. Face it, he only shot 38 percent from the field while not dishing out many assists or getting many rebounds. He also didn't play defense and didn't help out the organization by the incident where he flipped off the fan. All Gonzaga and Morrison bias aside, I really don't blame Charlotte for making the moves that they did.

On the other hand, to call someone a bust after one season is ridiculous unless they had a career ending injury. We all know Morrison and he isn't the type to give up after one bad season. Give him a few years and he will be greatly improved.

I'm not claiming Morrison had a great rookie campaign but he was most definitely not one of the worst players in the league last year. 95% of rookies don't succeed their rookie years. Ammo will prove all the naysayers wrong this year.

bayzag09
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm not claiming Morrison had a great rookie campaign but he was most definitely not one of the worst players in the league last year. 95% of rookies don't succeed their rookie years. Ammo will prove all the naysayers wrong this year.

If he doesn't shoot the ball well he is easily one of the worst players in the NBA. I love him like most if not all of us do, but what makes you think he's going to explode this year? More people that play his position and the re-signing of Wallace will only hurt Mo's playing time. I mean lets be realistic, either he gets traded or will do nothing in Charlotte.

deathchina
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
"I'm not claiming Morrison had a great rookie campaign but he was most definitely not one of the worst players in the league last year."

I'd argue that he was one of the 5 worst players in the league that played significant minutes.

He doesn't play ANY defense.

He doesnt' rebound.

His assist numbers were pedestrian.

And yes, he scored 11.8 points a game, but he finished SECOND TO LAST in field goal percentage. So he wasn't a good scorer. Anyone knows, if you chuck up enough shots you'll score some too.

Do I think he'll do better? Yes. But these constant "Ammo did fine as a rookie" threads are tiresome. Yes, rookies are held to a lower standard. But Morrison was the WORST shooter in the league among rookies (only like 14 rookies took enough shots to qualify). Among the 23 rookie forwards, he finished second to last in rebounds per 48 minutes. (in case you were wondering, he lead rookie forwards in assists per game but also finished second in turnovers per game)

And he was the 3rd overall pick (and a seasoned college veteran). With that comes a little extra pressure.

Rubbadub
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM

I concur. Even by rookie standards, he was terrible last year. I hope he gets over this funk that he's in and fast or he will be off to Europe. Look at the bright side. Many, many players take a year or two to get adjusted. Ask Dirk.

cggonzaga
07-19-2007, 07:48 AM
"I'm not claiming Morrison had a great rookie campaign but he was most definitely not one of the worst players in the league last year."

I'd argue that he was one of the 5 worst players in the league that played significant minutes.

He doesn't play ANY defense.

He doesnt' rebound.

His assist numbers were pedestrian.

And yes, he scored 11.8 points a game, but he finished SECOND TO LAST in field goal percentage. So he wasn't a good scorer. Anyone knows, if you chuck up enough shots you'll score some too.

Do I think he'll do better? Yes. But these constant "Ammo did fine as a rookie" threads are tiresome. Yes, rookies are held to a lower standard. But Morrison was the WORST shooter in the league among rookies (only like 14 rookies took enough shots to qualify). Among the 23 rookie forwards, he finished second to last in rebounds per 48 minutes. (in case you were wondering, he lead rookie forwards in assists per game but also finished second in turnovers per game)

And he was the 3rd overall pick (and a seasoned college veteran). With that comes a little extra pressure.

DeathChina,

How many #3 picks are asked to be their teams main offensive threat in their first year? Yes he put up a lot of shots but he was forced to by his coaches even when he was uncomfortable doing so. Charlotte had no consistent offensive threat going into last season. Not the easiest of positions to be put in coming into the league. He's never going to be a great rebounder or defender but guess what, Charlotte didn't draft him for those reasons. He is a scorer. For those guys that think he stunk as a rookie clearly do not pay attention to the NBA. Wait for his second or third season before writing him off. Deron Williams is paying dividends in Utah isn't he?

deathchina
07-19-2007, 08:34 AM
CG,

I haven't written off Ammo, believe me.

And I pay LOADS of attention to the NBA. You might have noticed that I defend it on a CONSTANT basis on this message board.

To be honest, I have no problem with the Bobcats asking a SCORER to SCORE. It's not like they were demanding he defend the other teams best wing player (gerald wallace) or bang on the low blocks (okafor), or anything else Ammo isn't used to doing. They asked him to do what he does best. To me, that isn't unfair or unrealistic.

Ammo has always looked more interested and energetic when he is making shots. I think once he starts hitting some shots the defense will improve from horrid to just bad, and he'll rebound with a little more conviction.

I can see him average 20 points a game in this league shooting a decent percentage. And I think his passing has always been underrated.

zzzjag
07-19-2007, 08:43 AM
If anyone saw the Bobcats play in Minnesota last season, they got to see a glimpse of what we saw of Ammo at Gonzaga. Remember the USF and LMU games on the road when he went off for more then 30pts in one half?

Top Bobcat Performances of last year.
11. Adam Morrison- February 21 at Minnesota (W 100-95)
26 points, 10-19 field goals, 4-7 threes, four rebounds, 29 minutes

Morrison scored all of his game-high 26 points in the second half, including 15 points in the final quarter to propel the Bobcats to their third straight win and first-ever at the Target Center. “My teammates did a good job of getting me the ball in the right situation,” Morrison said. “I was hot, and that is what the NBA is all about, getting the ball to the right guy.'' The rookie began to heat up late in the third, when he scored eight straight points. He mixed in stepback and fadeaway jumpers to tie a career-high four treys and during a 3:48 span in the fourth, scored 10 straight of Charlotte’s points. “He shot an assortment of shots tonight, everything,” Bickerstaff said. “Off one leg, off the move. It was just a great game.”

When he did get into the lane, I was confused how many easy short-shots hung on the rim and fell off for him last season. As well as how many wide open 3s went in and out. On the other hand, equally as confusing, he made some of the most difficult shots he took routinely, end of quarter desperation 3s dropped in with ease and turn around fade away/falling out of bounds shots too.

pdine
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Many top 5 picks are asked to lead their team in some major statistical category (scoring or rebounding). The reason a team picks so high is because they stunk so bad the year before. They need the heralded top-5 pick who just signed for top-5 money to stop the bleeding. Not an easy task for a rookie, but that doesn't mean the expectations shouldn't be there.

cggonzaga
07-19-2007, 08:48 AM
And I pay LOADS of attention to the NBA. You might have noticed that I defend it on a CONSTANT basis on this message board

I wasn't referring to you Death. You're one of the posters who opinion I respect. The guy that said he'll be off to Europe was more who I was referring to. I think it's very unfair to say he was one of the worst players in the NBA last season. There are some terrible players in the league. He was an average player last year but I really believe now that he's a little more accustomed to the league and what's expected of him, we'll see a very different player. Probably one who averages closer to 20ppg. He'll never shoot a great percentage but hopefully he can hang around 45%.

gamagin
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
and may even become a star. It's way too soon to tell.

What we don't know are the dynamics of the team, the coaching, the pressures on him and what he puts on himself. The brutal schedule adjustment, his "condition" in relation to all that. on and on.

bottom line: he hasn't forgotten how to shoot. His intensity appears to be fine.

He has a world of more NBA experience under his belt after his first year (many rookies could count their pt minutes on just a few hands).

The only x factors for me are the patience of the ownership & management to support the development phases of Ammo's transition to the NBA and how quickly Ammo can acclimatize his mind and body to the new demands.

I predict he'll step up. He always has.

Rubbadub
07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I wasn't referring to you Death. You're one of the posters who opinion I respect. The guy that said he'll be off to Europe was more who I was referring to. I think it's very unfair to say he was one of the worst players in the NBA last season. There are some terrible players in the league. He was an average player last year but I really believe now that he's a little more accustomed to the league and what's expected of him, we'll see a very different player. Probably one who averages closer to 20ppg. He'll never shoot a great percentage but hopefully he can hang around 45%.

Let me repost what i wrote real fast.........I hope he gets over this funk that he's in and fast or he will be off to Europe. Look at the bright side. Many, many players take a year or two to get adjusted. Ask Dirk.

That's not dooming him to be an nba bust or having to go to europe. That's saying he needs to improve and get adjusted to the nba life.

MickMick
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
When is the last time you have seen Ammo give up?

If the answer is never then.........

Zag79
07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
you dont forget how to shoot the ball as well as he does. his teammates hurt his play as much as he himself did. if you dont believe ME ask his sis or dad. once he gets comfortable in the system, gets team play going in the right direction, he will be a 20 a night guy.