• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

The Final Four talk is coming.

Don't believe it. Don't pitch it. Don't hang your hat on it.

The tournament is a single elimination crap shoot. You have to be really good and you have to be a little lucky.

Even if Rob was coming back, GU is one consistent scoring threat short of crossing the threshold. GU has to compensate for a space eating, defensive presence in the middle, and they need another consistent point producer.
    I miss Mike Hart
  • 04ZagFan
    Banned
    • Oct 2011

I don't think we need another consistent point producer.. What we need is consistency from the 2012-2013 team.

Pangos
    Bell
    Harris(assuming he's back)
    Dower

Are all players who can go and get 20+ on any given night. That's good enough. We don't need all 4 to score 20 every night, but if we avoid Pangos' 3-15 games, and Dower gets more touches (which he will without Rob next year) we've got the scorers to make a run. I see no reason why 4 very good scorers isn't enough. Kelly, Guy, and Dranginis should also be able to contribute some offense. Any points from Spangler and Stocks is gravy.

Comment

• Ekrub
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2009

Final Four talk is what gets my juices flowing. I'll buy into it. Looking at the talent we have coming back, it's a possibility.

Comment

• btzag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Don't like the final four talk, would much prefer Elite Eight talk.

Bell develops more into an aggressive scoring 2-guard.

Pangos gets more consistent and learns to distribute first, score second.

E returns.

Dower brings the fire every game and gets 5 more shots a game.

Edi solidifies his role and is completely natural in the offense.

Spangler takes big step forward and provides a physical hard nosed presence.

KO and Dranginis bring borderline starting play off the bench. Instant offense and great size at their positions.

Newcomers????? Karnowski, Del Valle, ???

My opinion is that this group has Elite Eight potential but really you need to put yourself in a 2 or 3 seed position to realize this. If you are a 7 seed you are just hoping to upset someone to get to that level. But regardless this team has the talent and experience now at every position to get to.....?

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
          Don't believe it. Don't pitch it. Don't hang your hat on it.

The tournament is a single elimination crap shoot. You have to be really good and you have to be a little lucky.

Even if Rob was coming back, GU is one consistent scoring threat short of crossing the threshold. GU has to compensate for a space eating, defensive presence in the middle, and they need another consistent point producer.
          The KO punch is coming! 7 feet of unassuming, bow tie wearing PAIN is coming our opponents way.

KO can toss the clipboard, because as of now, HIS REDSHIRT IS OVER!!!

Any 7 footer with a consistent hook shot can score 10 points a game on one leg. If Kelly can overcome his lack of aggressiveness in the paint and shoot the 5 footer, we're golden.
          “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2009

2012/13 is 11/12 part deux unless we have a solid #3 that can create.

Edi needs to change his offensive game (unlikely, he is who he is: a great defender and a great athlete, but not a ball player in the sense that the other kids are) or Kyle D (or whomever) needs to step up and fill that role.

My biggest disappointments of there year were:
            Rob's inability to finish better than he did the year before. That last 3 inches at the rim is all he really ever needed.
            MM's aggressiveness (there is none)

GBJ is legit. He will end up being the star of the team. We should have been going to him as option 1 a lot more than we did. He is just such a good teammate and thinker that he deferred too often on offense. I thought Pangos would be Bouldin Jr in Few's eyes and GBJ would be mini-Gray. I had it backwards: Few's go to man will be Bell. Hell, he threw it off the backboard on a (failed) breakaway against our newest rival, BYU and STAYED IN THE GAME.

A #3 that can score and create and a big that plays at rim level (KO?). Those should be priorities 1 and 2. Whether we bring someone in or develop what we have, that's what we need to get past the first weekend next year.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2008

Don't believe it. Don't pitch it. Don't hang your hat on it.....GU has to compensate for a space eating, defensive presence in the middle, and they need another consistent point producer.
              Won't disagree one bit with this.
              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
                2012/13 is 11/12 part deux unless we have a solid #3 that can create.
                This is Priority #1 for the staff. Expect it to be remedied as early as this spring, which officially begins in a few days.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2008

March Madness is like a poker tournament. Even the very best player is still a long shot to win it.
                  What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2008

2012/13 is 11/12 part deux unless we have a solid #3 that can create.....
                    Good analysis. I think there's a bit more to it in getting past the first weekend, but your point is well taken
                    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

MickMick is right. Zags will NEED to find a BIG as tough as Rob, and who can step up and defend superstars. The ONE person whom I think is tough as nails is Ryan Spangler. Is he ready for the offensive end of the court though? How many points do we need out of the low post?

The strengths that Kelly brings to the team will be another guy who can hit 3's. We have to remember that Kelly was once a guard. I think Kelly is a very good passer (which Robert was not, which Sam is not), and I think that a post player who can pass is invaluable. My memory of Kelly was also that he could rebound pretty well.

Two years ago Kelly's main criticism was that he was still clumsy and was still not used to being in his very large body. I think he will definitely be more used to by next Fall.

The biggest concern that I have is the same one MickMick has, and that is about our #3 position players and their inability to shoot the outside shot. Can Edi develop an outside shot? Can Mike Hart? How good is Dranginis? How tough is he defensively? Will Harris be moved to the 3?

Who will the two new guys be? How good will they be? Will either of them be able to contribute?

I think another question that needs to be asked is whether Keita and Monninghoff will be back. Will there be more then two scholarships available for next year?

Until I see how these questions and concerns I will not be making any predictions at all about how good GU will be next year, but I do agree with Bobzag. They will be better next year then they were this, and that is the GOOD NEWS.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Final Four Talk....Where ?....at Kentucky...

Comment

• rijman
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                          This is Priority #1 for the staff. Expect it to be remedied as early as this spring, which officially begins in a few days.
                          I look forward to reading your cryptic updates on this topic in the near future.

BTW- Thank you BobZag for all you do to keep us updated on all things Zag basketball. I wanted to PM you with my thanks, but found that was not possible. I came to this forum after my father passed a few years ago, we use to talk daily, he kept me updated on the Zags from his friends inside and outside the Zags program. (my dad went to GU on a basketball scholarship in the 50's and remained a diehard Zags fan until the end) Now this forum keeps me in the Zags loop from San Diego, which I really appreciate, so thank you for all your efforts.
                          It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Exactly

Originally posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
                            March Madness is like a poker tournament. Even the very best player is still a long shot to win it.
                            ... look at the gangsters....they may reach the elite eight !!!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2008

GBJ is legit.....He is just such a good teammate and thinker that he deferred too often on offense.
                              vs. TOSU, GBJ's mini explosion in the second half included David and Mike both on the floor with him

Comment

Working...
                              X