X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Pittsburgh

Just got back from Pittsburgh. Granted, it wasn't Portland, but what an awesome place for this tournament. They really hosted this well and with the happy coincidence of St Paddy's Day, it was a very, very fun event.

I was staying in the same hotel as WVU and, after our game with them the bar was pleasantly uncrowded and comfortable.

Southside, over where the team was staying, was a great place for partying and dining. Great food, every place there had awesome fish specials. Saw a few Zag faithful running around and they agreed it was an awesome site.

The St Paddy's Day parade was an absolute spectacle. Tremendous fun. The Vice President was in it along 28,000 other parade participants! The thing went on for hours. Police bands, Fire Department bands, Steelers, iron workers, on and on. It was all very interactive, kids were running in and out of the parade and getting shirts and green beads and candy.

We stopped into a bar before the game and it was absolutely packed, but they made room for us and one of the owners pulled out a set of bag pipes and played in this little hole in the wall bar for a good half hour, blaring over the K-State Syracuse game on the big screen.

If anyone in the Eastern Seaboard did not make it to this, shame on them. It was great time (except for the flat tire my car got while sitting in the garage )
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Just got back from Pittsburgh. Granted, it wasn't Portland, but what an awesome place for this tournament. They really hosted this well and with the happy coincidence of St Paddy's Day, it was a very, very fun event.

I was staying in the same hotel as WVU and, after our game with them the bar was pleasantly uncrowded and comfortable.

Southside, over where the team was staying, was a great place for partying and dining. Great food, every place there had awesome fish specials. Saw a few Zag faithful running around and they agreed it was an awesome site.

The St Paddy's Day parade was an absolute spectacle. Tremendous fun. The Vice President was in it along 28,000 other parade participants! The thing went on for hours. Police bands, Fire Department bands, Steelers, iron workers, on and on. It was all very interactive, kids were running in and out of the parade and getting shirts and green beads and candy.

We stopped into a bar before the game and it was absolutely packed, but they made room for us and one of the owners pulled out a set of bag pipes and played in this little hole in the wall bar for a good half hour, blaring over the K-State Syracuse game on the big screen.

If anyone in the Eastern Seaboard did not make it to this, shame on them. It was great time (except for the flat tire my car got while sitting in the garage )
    Sorry for not making it out to the games Kitz. Life (my wife) got in the way. She told me we could go on Saturday if we could tickets for the 3 of us for under $200. I monitored stubhub all day and the cheapest I found was just under $400 for all of us to go.

I have heard a lot of great things about Pittsburgh. I really want to go up there this summer and go to a Pirates game. That stadium is usually rated near the top of a lot of people's lists for best stadium.

Did you have a coleslaw and french fry sandwich from Primanti Brothers while you were up there?
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• kitzbuel
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post

Did you have a coleslaw and french fry sandwich from Primanti Brothers while you were up there?
      Yes I did. With pastrami. Awesome.
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Those restaurants on the N bank of the river are impossible to duplicate. I usually stay at the Wm Penn. What an amazing city Pittsburgh is. I initially dreaded the trip. Just nothing like it.
        Steeltown is amazing in SO many ways. Great things to see...sports, food, museums...old architecture...amazingly good medical work and med schools...now if they'd only get rid of the mafia Colorful people who are very fun.

Now if only Spokane.....

Comment

Working...
        X