PDA

View Full Version : A Difficult Loss to Swallow, but...

BobZag
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM
...it just didn't happen. The effort was there but some layups and treys just refused to drop in at critical times. Can't fault the effort, can't fault anyone. I feel the Zags were equal to Ohio State today, but like the old cliche' goes, "Somebody wins, somebody loses." No ties allowed.

The frosh become sophs next season. Gotta love that. :)

Ezag
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
OSU was definitely beatable.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
...it just didn't happen. The effort was there but some layups and treys just refused to drop in at critical times. Can't fault the effort, can't fault anyone. I feel the Zags were equal to Ohio State today, but like the old cliche' goes, "Somebody wins, somebody loses." No ties allowed.

Excellent showing and this experience is bound to help the "youngins" as they go through the next 3 seasons.

FlatheadZag
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Game effort by the Zags. Craft was special today and the Buckeyes have a lot of weapons.

Like your last line Bobzag. Our starting backcourt has 3 more seasons. Great reason for optimism for the next few years.

SWZag

This was an amazing effort by our team. Everyone played their hearts out. OSU shot 10 percentage points higher and we only lost by 7. This team came in second in the Big 10 to a team that we only lost by 7 to earlier. This was a very entertaining game. OSU played very well and we nearly pulled it out. GU Had a great season!!!!!!

We Are Gonzaga!

Papa K
Shots weren't falling today. Feel bad for Robert. Good experience for the frosh. Overall, a good year.

CDC84
03-17-2012, 02:16 PM
The coaching was there, the game plan was there, the shots were there, the execution was there. Gonzaga gave it their best shot. I have no major gripes.

Maybe next year we win that game.

Some of GU's previous teams would have folded when OSU built that double digit lead in the 2nd half. I am proud of the fact that GU kept battling.

bostonzagfan
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
i dont get how this was a great or even good year.

didnt make the sweet 16, didnt win the conference championship, didnt win the conference tournament.

far from great. i bet you anything few is disappointed.

MDABE80
03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
We played well enough to win. We lost this one with bad shooting. Even the easy ones didn't drop. Hard loss.... it's a simple thing: Bad shooting= a loss.
Lots of work to be done in the coming months...Good kids. good team. Lots of talent coming back.

webspinnre
i dont get how this was a great or even good year.

didnt make the sweet 16, didnt win the conference championship, didnt win the conference tournament.

far from great. i bet you anything few is disappointed.

Heck, I'm disappointed. Still, I know they played hard and played pretty well against a very solid team.

MickMick
A few missed shots down the stretch.

Hold your heads high Zags. Nothing to be ashamed about.

The future looks good. Gonna miss Rob.

Gonswagga
Today proved that GU is not that far away. We lose a huge presence down-low and in the locker room in Robert, but we're getting close. Stay hungry.

raise the zag
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM
The coaching was there, the game plan was there, the shots were there, the execution was there. Gonzaga gave it their best shot. I have no major gripes.

Some of GU's previous teams would have folded when OSU built that double digit lead in the 2nd half. I am proud of the fact that GU kept battling.

+1

Only thing I think is those end of game shots should have went elsewhere -- we didn't need another missed 3pt by the same player. We could have at least tried to get a pass inside or give it to Gary Bell, but wait, he was pulled after scoring 9 straight pts for us. Crunch time coaching still leaves a lot to be desired, but no others complaints overall. Just a tough loss.

awberke
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Today proved that GU is not that far away. We lose a huge presence down-low and in the locker room in Robert, but we're getting close. Stay hungry.

How do you figure? We were here last year.

I'm not down on the season or our guys at all, but this is pretty well the status quo.

zagsfanforlife
03-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Heck, I'm disappointed. Still, I know they played hard and played pretty well against a very solid team.

Starting two freshman in your backcourt, a first year player at the 3, and come this close to beating Ohio State... it was a good year, not great.

75Zag
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
A strange ending to a strange year. Hope the GU players, coaches and fans have a great summer. I am betting we will see one or two unexpected lineup changes over the summer. See you in September!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

basketballzag
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Ohio State didn't win this game rather the Zags gave them the win by missing some easy shots and free throws at critical junctures. Zags outplayed OSU in every facet IMO.

CDC84
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
We could have at least tried to get a pass inside or give it to Gary Bell, but wait, he was pulled after scoring 9 straight pts for us.

Pulling GBJ at that time was my only major gripe. Not a good move.

Gonswagga
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
How do you figure? We were here last year.

I'm not down on the season or our guys at all, but this is pretty well the status quo.

The status quo for the last two years was to lose by 20+. GU was in the game until the last 13 seconds without playing out of their minds.

TacomaZAG
For years, against the good teams, we are slow to adjust. After EH went to the bench with his second foul with about 4 minutes left in the first half, Rob was already on the bench with 2 fouls, we made NO defensive adjustments. We got outscored by 9 the rest of the second half................

Coming out of halftime, again, no adjustments. We get outscored by 7 in the first 5 minutes of the second half...............

Outscored by 16 during those 9+ minutes, game over.

By the time we go to zone and try some new things, it's too late. We made a gallant effort to come back and tie it, but the hill was too high, especially against a team like OSU.

It was going to take a great game to beat OSU, by everyone, and we just came up a little short.

Very proud of the guys, great season.

Go ZAGS

Worthington
I've never been more upset after a loss. Missing layups and free throws is the worst way to lose a game. I want to be really pissed at someone, but all in all it was a great year and Ohio State is a very good team, I'd put them in the Final Four over Syracuse.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
+1

but wait, he was pulled after scoring 9 straight pts for us. Crunch time coaching still leaves a lot to be desired, but no others complaints overall. Just a tough loss.

Brilliant coaching by Few today. Bell came out for one minute to get a breather at about the 4:50 mark. We were down 58-61, we made a stop & Harris hit a three to tie it 61-61, then Bell came back in for the stretch run. In other words, we went +3 while he was out, and he got some rest. What's your complaint about that?

Gonswagga
03-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Brilliant coaching by Few today. Bell came out for one minute to get a breather at about the 4:50 mark. We were down 68-61, we made a stop & Harris hit a three to tie it, then Bell came back in for the stretch run. In other words, we went +3 while he was out, and he got some rest. What's your complaint about that?

100% this. Great coaching today.

zagamatic
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I am so frickin tired of the ref's. By my count, if they had truly called that game evenly, Ohio State would've had at least 28 more fouls called on the *uckeyes. This isn't a Homer saying that. I've watched a lot of the games and can tell you that Syracuse and north Carolina would NOT have made it out of the first round if it was even. Not to mention Duke and Missouri would've been blown out if not for favoritism. As much as the NCAA likes to investigate useless crap, why don't they investigate their own employees?

awberke
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
The status quo for the last two years was to lose by 20+. GU was in the game until the last 13 seconds without playing out of their minds.

So you're saying we're sneaking up on the sweet sixteen eh? Next years grass will be greener.

SWZag
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Those who complain about Few taking out Bell. I don't think you've paid attention completely to the last couple games. Several times Bell is caught on TV signaling to come out because he needs a breather. He's going 110% and runs out of gas against a strong defensive team.

Maybe understand what's really going on before you criticize.

SWZag

Papa K
Starting two freshman in your backcourt, a first year player at the 3, and come this close to beating Ohio State... it was a good year, not great.

OK, Maybe not a great year. Looking forward to next year with higher expectations.

Fan_In_Spokane
FWIW, SWX is streaming the post game player interviews right now.

madness
03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Pulling GBJ at that time was my only major gripe. Not a good move.

This was easily the worst call of the game. 2nd worst was not calling plays for Bell in the final 2 minutes. Agreed that it is a minor gripe in the grand scheme of the game, but it was also a major piece of the pivotal part of the game.

Happy with the gameplan overall, just felt Zags did have the ability to win. Crunch time coaching has been an issue and I think it completely revolves around Few's stubborn nature to trust and not trust players (ie: Switching on screens in the SMC title game). If anything Few could get accused of Over Coaching a game. Matta just played his best guys and, hey it worked this time. Some coaches believe they need to go with some matchups to work...Few switches back and forth and it's hard to understand his thinking at times.

The talent was there and the effort was there to win.

...and yes the future is indeed bright!

madness
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Those who complain about Few taking out Bell. I don't think you've paid attention completely to the last couple games. Several times Bell is caught on TV signaling to come out because he needs a breather. He's going 110% and runs out of gas against a strong defensive team.

Maybe understand what's really going on before you criticize.

SWZag

There are ways to get a player a breather without substituting (TV timeouts and called timeouts). Not buying that Bell asked to come out there.

tobizag
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM

this is exactly right. couldn't be more proud of how they stood in there. still a heartbreaker, but at least it wasn't one of those deer-in-the-headlights games. we clearly showed our program hasn't gone anywhere, and had guys like andy katz talking about how we should have been a different seed in a different pod, because we're a team that should have advanced.

Gonswagga
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
So you're saying we're sneaking up on the sweet sixteen eh? Next years grass will be greener.

Hey, Mr. Cynic, how about you realize that I'm speaking to the fact that a 7 seed was able to stick with a 2 seed that inarguably didn't underestimate them and were psyching themselves up to play them (per Sullinger, Craft and Matta's pressers and interviews).

You can say that it's just Gonzaga fans talking up their program and saying "next year" but to not understand that this program talent wise is with the top tier programs of the nation is fine. But you're completely wrong.

Ohio State played better than they normally did and still only won this game with 13 seconds left.

This wasn't a Norfolk State or regular mid-major matchup, they knew who GU was and said they weren't going to sleep on them.

raise the zag
03-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Brilliant coaching by Few today. Bell came out for one minute to get a breather at about the 4:50 mark. We were down 58-61, we made a stop & Harris hit a three to tie it 61-61, then Bell came back in for the stretch run. In other words, we went +3 while he was out, and he got some rest. What's your complaint about that?

Maybe, yet he didn't attempt another shot after that, instead, we were down 3 and Pangos attempted 2 straight 3's and misses for some reason after shooting 3/15 for the game. I just thought the shots and plays within the final 2.5 mins could have gone to someone else or run another play, to a player or players who were clearly ON. Pangos was incredibly off and everyone knew it, including himself.

Also, pulling Elias and Rob at the end of the 1st half with 2 fouls and 5 mins remaining was the right thing to do, in the regular season. Its do or die, make or break, take every risk you have to in order tow in. Its not like we were playing LMU and we had to be so systematic in those moments. I realize they had 2 fouls apiece but we desperately needed one of 'em in the game. We had a 7 pt lead (30-23) at that point and time and needed AT LEAST one of our bigs on the floor, instead we allowed them to score 10 straight pts on put-backs, missing rebounds, and unable to work an offense.

I think the final 5 mins in the 1st half is what lost this game, not the final 5 of the game. That was critical moment and we had our subs out there on the floor and giving up a crucial lead in crunch time.

rijman
03-17-2012, 02:35 PM
A well played game and the refs didn't decide the outcome, which was a good thing. I agree the Zags just needed to hit some shots down the stretch, the Pangos lefty layup, Pangos 3 pointer in & out, Harris misses 2 FT's. The Zags proved they could play with Ohio State. It was a fun, albeit stressful game, and a good season. Next season will be even better.

FGZagDad
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Some persepective about the Zags season is needed. Pitt, Vilanova, Arizona, UCLA, Tennessee, Washington, Butler..not in the tournament. Beat Xavier, BYU, Mary's, Notre Dame and West Virginia who were in the tournament. A 26win season and 14th straight trip to the tournament.

I have tremendous respect for these accomplishments of this team and this program. GU contiunues to be the standard of consistency that all mid-majors are measured by, in my opinion.

Great year and looking forward to the fall and another season!

deathchina
03-17-2012, 02:40 PM
What hurts is that, at the end of the day, a program's prestige and reputation is HEAVILY weighted towards NCAA tournament success. We blasted onto the scene with the elite 8 run followed by back to back sweet 16 runs but since then our results have been mixed. In the last 11 years we've only reached the sweet 16 twice...Not great results, especially when you consider that in that span we've received high seeds (2 seed, 3 seed twice, 4, 6).

I think we're long overdue for a deep run. Very optimistic for the future!

CDC84
03-17-2012, 02:44 PM
The focus next season is to have a better regular season so that the Zags aren't stuck playing a 2 seed in the second round far away from home. Next year there are subregionals in Salt Lake City and San Jose, and the west regional is being held in Los Angeles. I don't care what anyone says...with the pod system being the way it is, you want to avoid playing top seeds until the regionals. You want those teams to either get upset or be forced to play games outside their home region, which is more likely to happen on the second weekend.

JPtheBeasta
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Few can't make the ball go in the basket. Ohio had more than few lucky bounces and we had our unlucky ones in crunch time.

awberke
03-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey, Mr. Cynic, how about you realize that I'm speaking to the fact that a 7 seed was able to stick with a 2 seed that inarguably didn't underestimate them and were psyching themselves up to play them (per Sullinger, Craft and Matta's pressers and interviews).

You can say that it's just Gonzaga fans talking up their program and saying "next year" but to not understand that this program talent wise is with the top tier programs of the nation is fine. But you're completely wrong.

Ohio State played better than they normally did and still only won this game with 13 seconds left.

This wasn't a Norfolk State or regular mid-major matchup, they knew who GU was and said they weren't going to sleep on them.

Easy, turbo. This year's team had all the tools and balance to beat Ohio State. It's just too easy to say next year is the year. If we every want to make it far in the tournament, we have to beat good teams. They won. Good teams win, simple as that.

I commend our guys for trying their hearts out, I really do. I'm not even mad about the loss, I just want to beat a really good team sometime. It hasn't happened in a long time.

bballbeachbum
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
They won. Good teams win, simple as that.

you keep saying that. thanks

madness
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
The focus next season is to have a better regular season so that the Zags aren't stuck playing a 2 seed in the second round far away from home. Next year there are subregionals in Salt Lake City and San Jose, and the west regional is being held in Los Angeles. I don't care what anyone says...with the pod system being the way it is, you want to avoid playing top seeds until the regionals. You want those teams to either get upset or be forced to play games outside their home region, which is more likely to happen on the second weekend.

THis is a huge point and I would greedily accept 2 rounds in San Jose!

ZagNut08
03-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't always feel this way at the end of the year, but the future is bright with our freshman guards.

awberke
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
you keep saying that. thanks

Am i wrong? One can say that OSU had lucky shots fall and we didn't but we can't be the unluckiest team every game.

PeninsulaDog
03-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Notre Dame, Xavier, BYU, St. Mary's and West Virginia aren't really good teams? Was the win on Thursday a long time ago in your world?

Easy, turbo. This year's team had all the tools and balance to beat Ohio State. It's just too easy to say next year is the year. If we every want to make it far in the tournament, we have to beat good teams. They won. Good teams win, simple as that.

I commend our guys for trying their hearts out, I really do. I'm not even mad about the loss, I just want to beat a really good team sometime. It hasn't happened in a long time.

BobZag
03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
The finality of a NCAA loss hurts. It's sudden. Spring, summer, fall, the offseason seems to last forever. It hurts.

Today's loss was simple, from my view. Missed 3s and missed layups, putbacks, just missed shots that needed to go in. It happens. I feel Pangos learned a ton these last few games. He'll work for months on his game. Bell oozes talent but, like Pangos, learned he needs to bring it all game, not in spurts. Harris usually makes those misses.

Meh, it was a tough loss because it was soooooo winnable. OSU is a stud team, ranked #1 at one point, woulda been a 1 seed if Izzo hadn't beat them by 4 in Big-10 title game. And GU played 'em straight up.

But losing always sucks. Grrr.

kclubfounder
03-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Could have won, maybe even should have won. OSU was flipping UNCONSCIOUS in the 1st half.

If there is a lesson for our young team that is likely to be better next year, it is you MUST earn a 4 seed or better. Stay close to home and don't face a 1-4 seed until the Sweet 16 at the earliest.

No more brain-farts against USF. Find a way to beat Illinois. Win the conference. Win the conference tournament.

Do a couple more things this year and we're playing in Portland, going to the Sweet 16, and ANYTHING can happen.

awberke
03-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Notre Dame, Xavier, BYU, St. Mary's and West Virginia aren't really good teams? Was the win on Thursday a long time ago in your world?

They are good teams. Do you put St. Mary's in the same sentence with Kentucky? Or Notre Dame with Michigan St.? I don't.

Obviously we don't get the same talent or funding that those teams do, and I guess I could be asking for too much but I thought we had such a great chance to be Ohio State despite those things.

VinnyZag
03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I feel Pangos learned a ton these last few games. He'll work for months on his game. Bell oozes talent but, like Pangos, learned he needs to bring it all game, not in spurts.

Just knowing what we've read and heard about those two guys -- how they are gym rats, coachable, etc. -- I expect they will make big strides in the offseason.

TacomaZAG
03-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I completely agree with the part of your post about the last 5 minutes of the first half (plus the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, for me) being the difference. I agree with Coach sitting both Rob and Elias (2 fouls each) at that point due to our 7 point lead. The issue I have with that move was it was NOT accompanied with any defensive strategy change, like going to a zone when both our starting bigs are on the bench. With the team staying in m2m defense without any rim protection, that lead to the 9 point difference the rest of the second half as no one could stop Deshaun Thomas.

Also, we mad NO adjustments in the second half until we were down double digits (outscored by 7 in the first 5 minutes) and went to the zone.

The team had very little margin for error if we were to win this game, and the slow strategy adjustments on defense were the only ones I saw. OTOH, if the guys hit another 3 or two (we made 8) who knows. None of the 3's were forced and shooter's shoot, so no complaints.

Pretty picky post, I know. I just wanted this one so bad and the team came so close..............

Also, I totally agree about the need to get a 4 seed or better and control the location for the first weekend. A couple of points (USF loss, SMC loss in the tourney finals) and we are in Portland.................

Go ZAGS

MDABE80
03-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Post game...we played well enoug to win. Worked hard. I didn'tnotice any genius coaching on either side today. Bell should have stayed in. BUT no matter who's playing, the ball must go in. We had some amazing chances.....much more than usual.
We came up empty...that's about all.
Bright future. We do also need a very good center or a very good pair of 4's. That's what will separate us from the next level. Nice to know we have a good pair of guards for years to come. Both have lots of improvement in their own minds. Pangos works feverishlly every day and night. Gary's got the makins of an AA....and I think he'll be designated just that over the Summer. KEvin isn't the athlete Bell is but it's not that important. He's very bright and will run the point. Sam needs to fix his right hand so he's not so predictable.but he showed today how good he can be if he performs like today........every game.

Disappointing outcome today. Nothing to be ashamed of. SOme days...the shots just don't fall. Even the good ones. Either we're a lot better than I thought or OSU is much worse. ...at least today. Surprised at Sully being such a whiner...Craft too.

Nonetheless, this team came an awful long way as a team compared to Oct. Looking forward to the next level....we just need one or two good kids. Some kids will leave...it'll just happen. Others will come. We'll be fine. Most teams would love to have our nucleus coming back. I do.

TacomaZAG
03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Agree on the need for 1 or 2 additional good kids, but I think we already have them (Spang and Drang) in the wings. Also, I think KO will surprise a lot of people next year. Spang will be a great 4 next year and Drang may be the third perimeter scorer we need.

The future is bright, is agree.

Go ZAGS

BobZag
03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Michigan State
Illinois
Ohio State

Something about Big Ten teams a losing by 7. Strange voodoo, I tell ya! Cue "Twight Zone" theme.

But seriously, can't wait for frosh to be sophs, and redshirts to play. Much to look forward to.

Zagnificent
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
This team was only going to go as far as Pangos could take it. This year, being a freshman and facing one of the best defenders in D1 having a particularly good game, he just didn't have enough. Down the stretch he missed too many viable shots. Had a few more of those fallen, this game could have had a different outcome. I'm not blaming Pangos. He had a spectacular season and will be one of Gonzaga's greatest point guards, but he is only a freshman, and putting this team on his shoulders tonight was too tall a task.

I'm excited for this team's outlook next year though. Bell looks poised to become a much larger part of this team's offense, and Pangos looks to continue where he left off. This back-court could be truly special

GrizZAG
03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I am really excited about KO next year. When he get the PT he will harden and get tougher. He has much better hands and better handles than Rob does imo. A year of weight work and rough and tumble practices has just got to make a difference. Hopefully he is lean, buff and mean come fall. Lots to be optimistic about.

Zag4Hire
03-17-2012, 04:35 PM
The Dagger: The stretch in between FGs in the 2nd half went from 4:05 remaining to 12 seconds left. You just can't do that and win.

I am not complaining or making excuses but just an observation: Funny to see two Ohio State 3 balls go in after some crazy rim bounce and several GU shots rim out including the Pangos 3 ball that the rim just wouldn't swallow. Seriously the gum dropped out of my mouth that the shot didn't go down!

I am not over this game by any stretch but GBJ, Spangler, and Pangos are freshman; KO redshirted along with Drangs; and we get Harris for another year. Let that soak in for a minute. The future is bright indeed.

Reborn
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
This kind of a loss does hurt because its a game GU could have easily won. The close losses I think hurt more. I was more impressed with GU than I was with Ohio State, except for Pangos v Craft. Sacre did a number on Salinger in the second half. I loved Rob's intensity at the end of the year. Bell, and Stockton played great, imo. Stockton and Bell brought GU back from 10 down to tie the score with 3 or 4 min to go. Taking Bell out was a HUGE mistake. The chemistry was really working with Pangos on the bench. Again I loved the way Stockton penetrated and dished for 3's in that corner.

Had Pangos hit those two layups and wide open 3 in the corner the game would have been Gonzaga's. The Zags had Ohio State realing. The zone defense was killing them. They began choking. Gonzaga had their chances that's for sure. They missed 5 free throws down the stretch in the second half, which really hurt us, and Harris' two in a row was a dagger in the heart.

Most of you know I liked this team this year alot. I'm pretty sad, and the pain hurts. Seeing Sacre crying is how I felt. I did believe this team would make it atleat to the second weekend all year long. Dower's first half performance was just so great. The foul on Sacre and Harris, putting them on the bench, in the last 4 minutes of the first half really did hurt the Zags, But in the end we made it all up by toughness on the boards and good zone defense, and making some big shots. Pongos had great shots in the last 3 and half minutes of the game. Who would think he'd miss two layups. The 3 pt shot was okay too because he had just made one. It was those two missed layups that hurt.

The pain will pass in time, and I will remember all the good things about this team. Their toughness and their comradere and chemistry. And Pangos at times was phenominal. Unfortunately he was up and down like a yoyo. He was never at his best in the biggest games of the season, and I am sure that will change in the next couple of years. i WILL NEVER understand why Few took Bell out at the end of the game. That was the team that brought us back (+ Stockton who played absolutely perfect). I wish Pangos was more of the distributor that Stockton is, and especially when he's off.

Congratulations Zags on a great season.

ps I will feel worse and worse as Ohio State makes it to the finals and I know that this could have been our first trip to the final 4. Dang!!!

BobZag
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
This team was only going to go as far as Pangos could take it. This year, being a freshman and facing one of the best defenders in D1 having a particularly good game, he just didn't have enough. Down the stretch he missed too many viable shots. Had a few more of those fallen, this game could have had a different outcome. I'm not blaming Pangos. He had a spectacular season and will be one of Gonzaga's greatest point guards, but he is only a freshman, and putting this team on his shoulders tonight was too tall a task.

I'm excited for this team's outlook next year though. Bell looks poised to become a much larger part of this team's offense, and Pangos looks to continue where he left off. This back-court could be truly special

Well said. A friend once told me "Freshmen will build you up then break your heart." And as Fitz or Heathcote (I forget) once said, "The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores." Consistency will come. I tip my hat to Craft and I'm certain Pangos will be better for it in the future.

jimmy b
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
as are 63..no 67 + teams. All really but one.

And lots of reasons why today especially hurts. and the finality.

Agree about the better seed and easier path being needed, but just imagine if we were the 7 in Missouri's or Duke's bracket. We'd be playing a 15. The tourney really has much randomness and luck to it.

The positive from today, if there is one, is that the returning players know they can compete and will know what needs to be improved on. Tourney experience is very valuable imo.

Johnnygu
03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Greg Anthony just said: "Basketball is a game of rhythm....and good teams will disrupt that rhythm." This, I think more than anything else is what Ohio state did to the zags. About ten points less than the zags average. If the zags could have disrupted Ohio state more, the zags might have won, but it seemed when OSU really needed a bucket, they got it.

ZagLawGrad
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Program seems to be stalled. Least favorite version of the Zags in a while.

Decent talent, but can't see how next season will be much different.

Just trying to keep it honest.

zagfan1
03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Good effort missed some shots down the stretch. I didn't like some of the line ups. We should have went with a short bench.

BobZag
03-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Does anybody believe freshmen make a jump when sophomores? No? Myth? Maybe? Fantasy?

MickMick
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Michigan State
Illinois
Ohio State

Something about Big Ten teams a losing by 7. Strange voodoo, I tell ya! Cue "Twight Zone" theme.

But seriously, can't wait for frosh to be sophs, and redshirts to play. Much to look forward to.

The talking heads have been calling it the best conference. I'm not so sure that GU could have kept up with those lighting quick guards at Purdue either. Purdue looks like three Anthony Irelands and a Noah Hartsock.

MickMick
03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Does anybody believe freshmen make a jump when sophomores? No? Myth? Maybe? Fantasy?

I base improvement on four things:

Hoops IQ
Consistency
Strength and conditioning
Toughness

How much do they improve in each of those areas? Some areas there is room to grow and some areas the player has reached his ceiling.

It really is just a matter of dedication. If the individual player is dedicated, then improvement should be evident.

For Rob Sacre, he noticeably improved each year. He was very raw as a freshman.
I thought Pargo improved more over four years than any other Zag. Night and day between his freshman and senior years.

Some just hit a wall. For others the ceiling is aquired early. Not gonna name anyone to derail the topic.

McZag
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Program seems to be stalled. Least favorite version of the Zags in a while.

Decent talent, but can't see how next season will be much different.

Just trying to keep it honest.

ZLG,

Really? Where did you go to undergrad? Do they have a basketball team you can root for?

We had two freshman guards in our backcourt lead us to the round of 32. Freshmen counselor. Our coach did a masterful job of navigating this young bunch past WV and right at the gut of an OSU team that could win it all.

Please tell you me you have some evidence of a stall. UCLA is stalled. Illinois is stalled. Zona, St. John's, Seton Hall, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma are all stalled.

Give this bad taste in your mouth a few days to work itself out, take another look and get ready for another run next year.

I rest my case.

ZagLawGrad
03-17-2012, 08:02 PM
ZLG,

Really? Where did you go to undergrad? Do they have a basketball team you can root for?

We had two freshman guards in our backcourt lead us to the round of 32. Freshmen counselor. Our coach did a masterful job of navigating this young bunch past WV and right at the gut of an OSU team that could win it all.

Please tell you me you have some evidence of a stall. UCLA is stalled. Illinois is stalled. Zona, St. John's, Seton Hall, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma are all stalled.

Give this bad taste in your mouth a few days to work itself out, take another look and get ready for another run next year.

I rest my case.

McZag---easy big fella. You called WVU the winner, correct?

The program is stalled in the Dance. Recent history. That's all.

Ekrub
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
To an extent you are right ZLG. Recruiting woes starting in 08 hurt us badly, yet the past three years we have gone dancing and won our first round game. We added some great (yes, great. Not good. Great) players this last year. We won't be stalled for much longer

awberke
03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
McZag---easy big fella. You called WVU the winner, correct?

The program is stalled in the Dance. Recent history. That's all.

But we're in the dance! Ask Arizona fans if they are happy their team hasn't "stalled" this year and switched it up with a loss.

I can't believe you can even say this isn't one of your favorite teams. There is so much personality on this team.

I know I can get down sometimes, much like i was earlier in this thread. But when I settle down, I'm really proud of what these guys achieved and we can only knock at the door for so long before we're let it. Have some faith.

demian
03-17-2012, 11:36 PM

i agree 100% with your last two sentences

demian
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
+1

Only thing I think is those end of game shots should have went elsewhere -- we didn't need another missed 3pt by the same player. We could have at least tried to get a pass inside or give it to Gary Bell, but wait, he was pulled after scoring 9 straight pts for us. Crunch time coaching still leaves a lot to be desired, but no others complaints overall. Just a tough loss.

i agree, that was weird to pull Bell at that point of game

Zag 77
03-17-2012, 11:50 PM
OSU had two 3 point baskets where the ball hit the rim, bounced straight up, and fell through. How do you account for something like that? If those 2 shots bounce away, the result may be different. Sometimes stuff happens in sports for no logical reason.

WallaWallaZag
03-18-2012, 06:38 AM
i agree, that was weird to pull Bell at that point of game

don't have a problem with getting bell a blow right there...he was absolutely gassed and it was pretty obvious the game was going down to the wire. needed him fresh for the stretch run.

the zags for the most part got the shots they wanted down the stretch, just didn't make them. harris missed the exact same corner three he had just buried to tie it up...it would have put the zags in the lead. pangos also got that corner three, wide open too, with a chance to tie things up. can't ask for much more in terms of execution.

webspinnre
03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
OSU had two 3 point baskets where the ball hit the rim, bounced straight up, and fell through. How do you account for something like that? If those 2 shots bounce away, the result may be different. Sometimes stuff happens in sports for no logical reason.

I noticed the same thing. Most of the time those sorts of shots are clear misses.

zagfaninmt
03-18-2012, 08:29 AM
The Zags gave us the best effort they were capable of at the moment. What more can a fan ask? I will wait with great anticipation for October, for hope springs eternal for the Zags fan!:drool:

Chicken Ball
03-18-2012, 08:29 AM
We had a weird rim shot, too: Bell's off-balance 3 ball. If all three shots miss, we still lose.

SteeleMan
03-18-2012, 09:50 AM

So true.

Reborn
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Oh so very true. The focus of the season next year needs to be to get a #3 seed. This means we win @USF and BYU. I think the Zags can not lose more than 3 and at most 4 games if they are to get a 3 seed. The intensity and focus next year needs to be at a higher level and more consistent. The team was inconsistent this past year, mostly because of the # of newcomers to the team. That won't be the case next year. We have an experienced team coming back.

Zag79
03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Totally agree. Just gets frustrating that no matter how good our team is, who the players are, it seems we are becoming very routine. Get into the dance, win the games we should, but never knock off a big dog. It's how we made our name, and I sure miss the ability to do it anymore. This team was good enough to beat OSU, Adams team was final 4 quality, and so on. Seems to me the issue is our coaching has reached a ceiling. THIS ISN'T A FIRE FEW STATEMENT. He's the guy, does a great job, and I personally wouldn't want anyone else (other than Izzo or coach K). :D But it does feel like he can get us so close, and that's it.

The bigger issue for me is Ray. Where is the defensive presence he was supposed to bring in? Didn't OSU hang almost 40 on us in a half? We were scoring enough to have a much bigger lead. Thats needs to be addressed. As for the freshman excuse, teams with frosh get past the round of 32 all the time so that seems moot to me. The future is bright, but we need to improve on defense and make some tweaks "in game" a little sooner to take that next step.