• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Team USA vs. France underway

Rojadirecta. World's biggest sport streams index (El mayor índice de emisiones deportivas por Internet).

The webcast for USA/FRA can be found on the left

For gametracker. USA is down 19-13 at the start of the 2nd period
  • Zags-Bsee
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jul 2007

US outscored France 18-0 take 72-53 lead

7:29 left in the 4th, Matt not much playing time 0 pt 1 reb 0 assists

If France was the favorite to win it all, then there must be a new favorite.
    Zags - Best sports event ever
    Character - Small Community - and Zags do BB right.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

re:

Based on what I have viewed, this game is not one that Matt is going to thrive in. It's sort of a street ball game. France is trying to run with Team USA, and I think Wainwright's thinking is that "if you want to play that game, we'll do so as well, and do it better." So he's got his most athletic lineup out there and France is just getting killed in transition.

Jonny Flynn folks, who will be attending Syracuse, is a player. I think Boeheim has finally got himself a point guard after missing out on several the last few years.

Comment

Matt is the Man

What's wrong with Matt...is he sick ??

Comment

• Frazzle
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

I don't think that there is anything wrong with Matt other than he is perhaps too team-oriented. While I have not actually seen or listened to any of the U-19 game, I tend to think that if Tajuan Porter can jack up 5 shots in 9 minutes, no reason why Matt can't take a few more jumpers. Hey, maybe sinking a few treys in a row would garner him some more PT. He certainly has the skill.

Comment

• Zags-Bsee
            Kennel Club Material
            • Jul 2007

Info on game and team

Gonzaga University sophomore Matt Bouldin played just six minutes, missing his lone field goal attempt and grabbing one rebound.

Zags - Best sports event ever
            Character - Small Community - and Zags do BB right.

Comment

• dim4sum
              Banned
              • Jun 2007

Bouldin

Could he be nursing an injury of some sort??

Comment

• MickMick
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

I am not worried at all about Matt. He is playing in an evironment that will enhance his career. Surrounded by good players, good coaches, and he is winning.

A positive environment that will help him develop as he enters his Sophmore season.
                I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I believe BZ mentioned last week that Matt had a bit of a stinger.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with how Matt's performed so far, but I'm hoping that it's just a fluke because of the style of game or the fact he's not used to his teammates or something. Maybe he's really contributing to the team and it's just not showing up in the box score, but I don't know. I'm still hoping for big things this season. His performance hasn't done anything to raise my hopes of him being a more consistent contributor, though. I'd sure love to know what the deal is.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Did anyone catch MB's interview regarding how the USA Coaches(Wainwright and Co.) where attempting to change Matt's shooting style? Made me nervous the moment I read that. Matt stated the Coaches felt his shot sat too far back on his shoulder or something of of that nature.

I asked myself, "Why would these "interim" coaches say/do that?" Matt sounded eager to listen and work with them on this supposed "defect". I guess I would be willing to if it was required to represent Team USA.

IMO, his shot may look different, yet I've always felt Matt had a beautiful stroke, and would develop into one of the better/more consistent perimeter shooters on this team. He may be already, exhibited by his ability to hit clutch treys all season long. {37% from 3pt isn't bad for a freshman folks, especially a freshman CG.}

Matt is shooting 1-13 from long range during this tournament. It appears like pure speculation as all shooters refine/work on their stroke as they mature, but I was uncomfortable while reading the interview w/Matt. The boxscores speak for themselves....I'm just crossing my fingers the same ol' Bouldin shooter's touch returns to GU.

Someone posted a link to his interview a few weeks back, prior to Matt playing any games. I can't seem to locate the link, can anyone repost the link to this interview or recall these statements?
                      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Agreed, Baldwin. I remember an example from my youth baseball where coaches overtinkered with my swing and I batted .150 for the whole season which is really crap in youth league. Tournament came around and I talked to my parents. Told them I was going to trash the coaches advice and just do what feels natural. Hit .750 or something and was the tournament MVP. Sometimes you can't trust a swing doctor or shot doctor. Everyone has to find his own right way to shoot the ball.
                        Agent provocateur

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Re:

This is just my take on things.....

Bouldin is a system player. He is a guy that thrives in a structured form of offense that still allows him to read defenses. Team USA has no structure to their offense, largely because it is almost impossible to put any structure in with what little time the coaching staff has to work with the players. I just don't know if players like Matt are really suitable for these kinds of teams that are assembled with a drop of a dime, although I thought he would've performed a bit better than he has thus far. The team just passes the ball and shoots at the first opportunity, while Matt sits in the corner waiting for the ball so that he can make the first of 5 passes that will eventually lead to the highest percentage shot the team can take. Not that I blame his teammates for doing what they're doing, because you just can't make things very sophisticated when you have a team like this.

Almost every player on that team is more athletic than Matt, and they all play at the same speed.........fast. The team reminds me of a Lorenzo Romar fantasy team. What Team USA is trying to do, and are doing quite well, is simply overwhelm opponents with raw athleticism, turnovers and transition points. The game between USA and France yesterday was essentially a street ball game. What's working for Team USA is that unlike previous years, the guys are hitting their shots, and everyone on this team is playing their tail off. I don't how many times I saw USA out hustle France yesterday for out of area rebounds, loose balls, etc. It's really a credit to our guys that they have taken this competition seriously and are doing all the things necessary to win it. They're playing with a chip on their shoulder because of all the negative things that have been said about U.S. basketball in recent years.

The only area of criticism that I would have when it comes to Matt is his defensive footwork. He really needs to work on it. He's almost never in a good stance to handle dribble penetration, even though I think he has the capability of doing such things. This is a real concern for me, because this Gonzaga team has no other point guard on its roster besides Pargo, and Bouldin, unlike last year, is going to be defending off guards that will mostly be smaller than him and more likely than small forwards to attack him off the bounce. He needs to stay out of foul trouble this season.

Comment

Matt

Welll...I don't know....they appear to be playing team ball, not a lot of assists but scoring balance.....I don't think it is his stroke, he isn't shooting much at all and most of the shots he has missed were layups ... it must be the girls, I understand they are very beautiful....

Comment

• BBskorer
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Mar 2007

just to clarify...

thru the first 6 games, Matt is 4 for 11 from three. link
                              ..here..comes..the..BOOM!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X