PDA

View Full Version : As the dust settles...

TM27
07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I am curious to know what’s next? With Grant we have now hedged our risk. I imagine we continue to recruit Rotnei, but I am curious to know what happens with the Jackson/Goodson offers. As many have noticed our NBA height may result in a lack of good ol’ speed...Jackson/Goodson are these complimentary quick guards that we need. However, are they better than some of the guards in the 09 class?

2009 may be one of the most loaded classes in the last decade. If Jackson/Goodson accepts does it reduce our chances of landing one of Cunningham, Gaddy, Siva, etc. (Keeping in mind that open scholarships may also go to Lane, Morgan, Bradley, etc)

I imagine that the staff believes that 1 current player will make the jump this year, however, if another (such as our current point guard) declares, is it imperative that they land another 08 guard?

What do you think the staff is thinking?

ZagMania
07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I know this opinion is far from popular, but I would have rather gotten Jackson/Goodson to compliment Bouldin instead of Gibbs. Don't get me wrong, I believe Gibbs is a great player but I see him too much like Bouldin. We need a speed guy and I would hate it if getting two guards for the class of '08 would scare off the '09 guys.

If we sign another guard for '08 and no one decides to leave, then what? I'd feel better if we just left it where its at now and if someone leaves for the NBA then we either grab a JUCO or late bloomer.

cggonzaga
07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about which class we get our recruits. You must plan for the future and I think the staff is pretty confident we will be losing players in the years to come. When you have such a loaded team you have to account for players transferring or leaving for the pros. I'm personally of the opinion that we lose possibly three guys next year early. I really feel with solid campaigns Josh and Jeremy are gone. Get your recruits when possible. There is always going to be great players in every class.

TM27
07-18-2007, 11:18 AM
There is always going to be great players in every class.

I hear what you are saying, but, Jackson/Goodson are not the GREAT players in the 08 class. Very good, yes!

Siva, Cunningham, Gaddy are the GREAT players in the 09 class.

But I think we can agree that you get the talent when it is available. If you wait for Siva, Cunningham, Gaddy you risk losing out on both the 08 and 09 players.

It will be interesting because I would think that one of Jackson or Goodson have a very real chance of being the next verbal.

JLGutrocks
07-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Any new news about Dashan Harris? He seemed like a good possibility.

pbriz
07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I really think that what is taking place behind the scenes right now is a STRONG push for Dashan Harris. It may be too out of reach but I knew the staff will push for an uptempo distributing guard... its EXACTLY what we need. From everything I have heard Gray and Gibbs can both shoot... and Daye... and Theo and Sacre and Foster will all get their high percentage looks inside... Dashan Harris is a distrinuting point who is confident in his abilities. We have the scorers put in place for the future but a strong leader and defensive presence at point is what we are missing.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=/content.asp&cid=691599&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Harris is a proven winner and would bring that much more confidence to the backcourt along with gibbs and gray. I'm sure Few is pushing hard right about now.

One more quote I found about Harris and his recruiting:

"If I find a school that I like, I'll sign early," Harris said. "The head coach, I'm really looking to develop a relationship with the head coach like I did with coach Sutton. I can always talk to him and talk to him about anything. Also, style of play is big. I'm an up and down kind of guy that likes to go. I want to run and defend. The other main thing is playing with guys that want to win."

... sounds like someone Few would make sacrifices for... the 09 guards are great but so is this one...