• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Zags have not put together two...

...successive games all year where they played as well as vs West Virginia. For instance, the fellas played a great semi-final game in Vegas vs BYU but followed it two days later with a performance far less impressive, devoid of the energy and execution of the previous game. Pangos goes for 30 vs BYU, then can't toss the ball in the ocean...

Maybe it's the inherent inconsistency of freshmen.
    Maybe it's the quick turnaround as opposed to multiple days of preparation.
    Maybe it's the completely rested vs not-so-rested for game #1 and game #2.

But all I know is, these Zags have yet to string two games the caliber of the BYU or WVU games together. Imo, if they harbor any aspirations of beating a team like Ohio State, they will have to duplicate their efforts of BYU/WVU. If they don't...well...perish the thought.

Thoughts?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Completely agree.

Harris and Dower need to contribute more than they did against WVU and everybody else just needs to sustain the team effort we just saw.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• awberke
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2010

Well, seeing that yesterday was our best game all year, it is pretty tough to string two together.

We played really well against SMC and then LMU. Both games were at home but those were two good teams. Kevin Pangos went 5-6 for 3pt and 5-7 respectively. I think we can do it twice.

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I think it's

time to keep the fire stoked, ready and blazing. It looks like RS has embraced his role as spiritual and actual leader, veteran and spokesman. He seems to be enjoying it. He should.

It's time to celebrate his five years of hard work and make sure the rest of the Zags go out with their shields, or on them.

I believe that is what is going to happen, after watching WVU's game. the one-off tourney aspect of it all raises the intensity and the opportunity.

We appear to be as ready as any team can be.

IF. If we can keep playing our game the best way we know how. Together and for every second of every minute with all hands on deck.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Concerning BUT we did put together 2 very good games back to back against St. Mary's and LMU at home. I'm sure this is something the staff has harped on throughout the season and now is time to put it into action. Hopefully we've also learned our lesson from last year's tournament. Also, we are very well rested going into this game and we are much deeper than OSU. I don't even believe we have to play as well as we did against WVU to beat OSU. If we do though, I think we win fairly easily. That Gonzaga team last night beats anybody in the country.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2008

It's a concern. But sexy boy Rob is on a mission. That's gotta be a game changer.
            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

This team is playing with focus.

Without looking at the stat sheet, going by the eye test, GU's collective ballhandling was as good as I have seen all year. A couple of turnovers from Harris (charge, traveling), Bell, (drive into the trees without pulling up for the shot) or Edi (into traffic) driving into the paint is simply the cost of doing business. GU needs to attack once in awhile just to keep the defense honest.

With the exception of the conference tourney final, GU has only beaten themselves in the second half of this season. Remove all of those turnovers and GU can hang with just about anybody.

My biggest fear is that Craft's defense completely negates Pangos. GU has to outscore this OSU team. I don't see more than a couple of offensive dry spells from the OSU.

Bell must win his matchup with Buford if Craft neutralizes Pangos. Lord help us if Kraft lines up against Carter or Stockton. Even Buford for that matter.
              Last edited by MickMick; 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                time to keep the fire stoked, ready and blazing. It looks like RS has embraced his role as spiritual and actual leader, veteran and spokesman. He seems to be enjoying it. He should.

It's time to celebrate his five years of hard work and make sure the rest of the Zags go out with their shields, or on them.

I believe that is what is going to happen, after watching WVU's game. the one-off tourney aspect of it all raises the intensity and the opportunity.

We appear to be as ready as any team can be.

IF. If we can keep play our game the best way we know how. Together and for every second of every minute with all hands on deck.
                My thoughts exactly.

Why could the Zags string together (at least) two command performances? What's different now? These are Rob's last games in a Zags jersey. Brandon. It's tourney time and our freshmen came to GU to execute at precisely this place. Probably a dozen other factors that have these guys confident whilst leaning into a ferocious headwind.

We have depth, we have Few and we're injury-free. Bring it on.
                Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                  Concerning BUT we did put together 2 very good games back to back against St. Mary's and LMU at home. I'm sure this is something the staff has harped on throughout the season and now is time to put it into action. Hopefully we've also learned our lesson from last year's tournament. Also, we are very well rested going into this game and we are much deeper than OSU. I don't even believe we have to play as well as we did against WVU to beat OSU. If we do though, I think we win fairly easily. That Gonzaga team last night beats anybody in the country.
                  This is a great example, for those who have eyes to see.....but of course if you don't, then???????? The goal is not to play perfect every game because you can not always do that. The key is to win. I thought Gonzaga played a really good game against St. Marys in the conference tournament, and that the game was stolen from them. I've watched that game many times, and GU played a good game. Good enough to win.

We all know that Ohio State is one of the best teams in the country. There's no denying that. We will have to be very lucky to beat them. But I believe in luck, and at times it's just as good as skill. I also believe in miracles (and divine justice hahahahaha), and maybe we get one tomorrow. I happen to think that this is a real good Gonzaga team and I'm hoping that their game against WV was not a fluke but that it is a good indication of what we can do as we move forward.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• webspinnre
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Just as a note, it's Aaron Craft, not Aaron Kraft (seen numerous people doing this, not trying to call out any individual).
                    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

What Bob says is true...meantioned by many last night after the WVU victory. We haven't put two back to back victories together all season when it comes to tough opponents.
                      OH St is poised to run over us. They might with all that talent. In our season, sometimes the bigs do well but the guards don't or vice versa. Last night was different: everyone did well.
                      Rob need to focus again. He play SO well last night Elias did as well. Guards did too
                      We need this type of team to get close to OSU tomorrow. The kids must understand that even small errors begin runs..

Protect the ball and don't get flustered. Rebound like crazy and defend. Defense wins these games. Turnovers lose them. I hope Few emphasizes though things. OSU doesn't play a complicated offense. They rely on bruising Big 10 basketball. They'll be ready...I hope we are. Control the boards. We can with our size and skill but ROb ,etc must really focus on that. Sullinger gets flustered when he's worked over.
                      I hope we do just that.
                      If somehow we put two strong games together, it'll be a close contest. If we don't, the kids will be watching games next weekend. GULP/.someone quick throw some luck in the ###!<P0t
                      Last edited by MDABE80; 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: mmmm

Comment

• BoZarth
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Ohio State is good

The Buckeyes are a far better team the WVU. Acheiving success is going to be much more difficult Saturday.

I definitely think we can beat them but next to Michigan State this will be the best team we play all year.

If we protect the ball and hit the open shots we'll have a chance. We can't afford to fumble away possessions and miss open looks (when they happen) against a team the calibur of OSU.

I can't wait to find out.

Go Zags!!!!

Comment

• SteelZag
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2012

I enjoyed the quote in BobZag's post, "If they don't...well...perish the thought". Different punctuation would not have changed the meaning at all. "If they don't, we'll perish. The thought". Neither sentence will be acceptable.

GO ZAGS!

Comment

• gbnyba17
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Jan 2008

I disagree BZ, I feel the Zags played very well against SMC in the championship. Outside of Pangos going 1-11 from behind the arc, we played pretty dang solid.

I believe the Zags have a legitimate shot tomorrow. We have the personnel to match up with OSU and we are coming off 3 great games in a row (IMO)...

Comment

• awberke
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                              This is a great example
                              Indeed, why didn't i think of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X