PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts from F1Dog

former1dog
03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Gonzaga played extremely well yesterday. Most impressively and what truly gives Gonzaga a chance against any team is that we won that game on the defensive end of the court. Sure we made shots playing efficient offense, but we also absolutely shut that team down.

Sacre is playing the best basketball of his career at just the right time.

Sacre won't necessarily outplay Sullinger, but I think he's a good enough defender to hold Sullinger below his season averages. How well does Ohio State defend the post?

Kraft is a completely different player than Pangos. I'm not exactly sure why they call Kraft a point guard, he seems to play more like an off guard?

We are starting two true freshman at the guard spots this season. Gonzaga has never done that before and I'm very excited for the future of this team for this reason. They have won an NCAA game and thats just going to make them hungry for more. They are both going to get better and more confident with all the playing time they are receiving as frosh.

Work ethic, Pangos and Bell have it. This made me think a little bit about Raivio. My perception of Raivio's work ethic is that it was off the charts. But I think of Raivio's work ethic kind of like Rocky in the Rocky IV movie, all guts and grit. I think of Pangos work ethic, from what I've seen and read, more like Ivan Drago, more science applied to his work ethic.

The Olympics are this summer. We have 5 potential Olympians on our team. 3 for Canada in Rob, Kelly and Kevin. Elias for Germany and Edi for the Ivory Coast. I know it was beneficial for Elias to forgo playing for his national team this past off season, but I doubt any of these guys is going to say No if the national team comes calling for the Olympics.

Yep, random thoughts.

cggonzaga
03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Great post Former!

Just to touch on the Kraft-Pangos matchup. Completely different players. Kraft is a floor general but isn't particularly good on offense. He's a great defender but from what I've seen only mostly against penetrating guards. It will be interesting to see how he chases Pangos around and gets into him on his shots.

former1dog
03-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Great post Former!

Just to touch on the Kraft-Pangos matchup. Completely different players. Kraft is a floor general but isn't particularly good on offense. He's a great defender but from what I've seen only mostly against penetrating guards. It will be interesting to see how he chases Pangos around and gets into him on his shots.

It would be interesting to see Pangos running Kraft off screens. The only problem with that is we generally bring in Stockton to run the point and have Pangos move over. I love David Stockton buts he has been slumping big time lately and I've lost some confidence in his decision making.

cggonzaga
03-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Again, completely agree. Maybe some more pick and roll action with Rob and Harris. Why don't we run more pick and roll with Harris? He can shoot it, drive it and roll to the basket hard. Seems like a natural progression for Harris. We could be deadly with him setting picks for Pangos and Bell.

former1dog
03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
One more random thought. Like everyone else, I was really impressed by Spangler yesterday. I don't expect to see him get nearly as much playing time against Ohio State, though. Its not as good a match up for him as West Virginia was.

FlyZag
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Surely OSU has watched how SMC defended Pangos in Vegas vs how BYU did. Delly is a BIG guard his size flustered Pangos a bit. Craft while not as big as Delly, is also bigger than Pangos. That could have an affect.

If Pangos is affected by the stellar defense of Craft, we obviously will need Bell and company to step up. We need an Outside game to open up the inside.

former1dog
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Surely OSU has watched how SMC defended Pangos in Vegas vs how BYU did. Delly is a BIG guard his size flustered Pangos a bit. Craft while not as big as Delly, is also bigger than Pangos. That could have an affect.

If Pangos is affected by the stellar defense of Craft, we obviously will need Bell and company to step up. We need an Outside game to open up the inside.

:D Kraft will not be allowed to hand check Pangos, so there's that.

BobZag
03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Is Craft the kid from Valpo?

SteelZag
03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Is it suprising to anyone else besides myself that GU doesn't run the pick and roll better than they do, considering the resource they have at their disposal. Stockton and Malone ran the pick and roll to perfection even though the opponents knew exactly what was coming and could still not stop the play. Of course, talent level may have had much to do with their success.

former1dog
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Is it suprising to anyone else besides myself that GU doesn't run the pick and roll better than they do, considering the resource they have at their disposal. Stockton and Malone ran the pick and roll to perfection even though the opponents knew exactly what was coming and could still not stop the play. Of course, talent level may have had much to do with their success.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that every team that plays us doubles the ball handler off the pick and roll and our very good, but young guards haven't always responded really well to that double team.

former1dog
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Ohio State is going have to play really well to beat us. They can't have a bad game and win.

Gonzaga is going to have to play really well to beat Ohio State.

A blow out either way is possible if one of the other team doesn't show up to play.