PDA

View Full Version : OT: BYU Board Poster Says BYU Should Beat Marquette

SWZag
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I found this humorous.

Even Though Marquette has the higher seed... (http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=8356661)

there is an important statistic that is easily overlooked that heavily favors BYU to win:

BYU beat WEB by 28 which beat USU by 10 which beat UTA by 4 which beat UTPA by 18 which beat TXST by 2 which beat HBU by 27 which beat CSF by 5 which beat UTAH by 31 which beat WSU by 2 which beat EWU by 26 which beat HAW by 17 which beat XAV by 2 which beat VAN by 12 which beat MARQ by 17.

By the transitive property, BYU wins by 201 points.

SWZag

BobZag
03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Haha. That's one way to look at it. :)

Actually, in all seriousness, I do think BYU has a decent chance in this game. Marquette is beatable, as we know from our game vs them last year. Don't count out BYU. Just my opinion.

zagfan24
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
It will be a really interesting game. Having lost Chris Otule for the season, Marquette has very little front-court depth. Jae Crowder is a beast, but Gardner is out of shape and Jamil Wilson is raw. That said, BYU will have a tough time matching up with Darius Johnson-Odom. I'd imagine Abouo will get the assignment, but it's a tall task. If he's hitting his outside shot he becomes almost impossible to defend one on one.

BYU (especially Carlino) will definitely have to be more careful with the ball, as Marquette is very strong in transition. Vander Blue and Todd Mayo aren't great scorers in half-court sets, but can fly down the sideline on the break. On the other end, if BYU gets the ball into Hartsock and Davies on a consistent basis, the Golden Eagles will have a tough time stopping the big guys.

FlyZag
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
The thing I learned from them after watching them in Spokane and then last night... they DON'T quit. We had them down 20 and they came back. Last night down 25... doesn't matter. I respect them for that. They play hard and don't know the word quit. That comes from their coach.

jake
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I think BYU is a good team, and was happy to see what they did last night. However, I do not think this next one will be that close. We'll see though.

DixieZag
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
On ESPN it was noted that they had to be a 14 b/c if they were a 12 (as it sounded like they thought that was were they were supposed to be slated) then it would have ended up having them play on Sunday - so they are under-seeded and Marquette is facing - by far - the toughest 14 seed out there.

KStyles
03-14-2012, 01:25 PM
BYU lost to WISC by 17 who lost to MARQ by 7.

Marquette by 24.

gamagin
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
they have some kids that can go off anytime. they play the whole 40 minutes and learned a huge lesson -- anyone can win any game any time. And then they did it. willpower and not being risk averse + luck = a chance to win.

Oregonzagnut
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
BYU lost to WISC by 17 who lost to MARQ by 7.

Marquette by 24.

Occams razor.

zagfan24
03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
The thing I learned from them after watching them in Spokane and then last night... they DON'T quit. We had them down 20 and they came back. Last night down 25... doesn't matter. I respect them for that. They play hard and don't know the word quit. That comes from their coach.

The funny thing is that Marquette has made a habit of doing a very similar thing during Big East play. They trailed by double digits early on in several games only to come back and win, sometimes by fairly large margins.

I agree that it's going to be a very tough game for Marquette and a rather tough opening draw for a 3-seed.

75Zag
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I am starting to feel guilty about encouraging my hunting dogs to chase those two young Mormon missionaries in their inexpensive black suits and bicycles down my driveway. After last night, I am wondering if the man upstairs is on a "mission" to get BYU to the Final Four. But could a loving God disapprove of single malt scotch? I sat through 4 years of theology and philosophy classes at GU and I can't answer that question.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

bartruff1
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
they have some kids that can go off anytime. they play the whole 40 minutes and learned a huge lesson -- anyone can win any game any time. And then they did it. willpower and not being risk averse + luck = a chance to win. That play in game could be a real advantage for them...and in Rose's " nothing to lose " approach in the 2nd half...he may have found the anti Carlino.... I like their chances... Hartsock is money ..... it could happen..

OZZY
03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
BYU can win, it will depend alot on how Canadian Junior Cadougan, Marquettes point guard plays. He is a good distributor, and if he is able to hit some shots as well then it might be tough for BYU, on the other hand if Carlino gets hot and Davies/Hartstock plays up to their potential then BYU could make it into the second round........

Go BYU, Go WCC!

ZagNative
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Ozzy, is Junior Cadougan in better shape this year? My recollection is he wasn't in good shape last year.

maynard g krebs
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I have BYU in my bracket because I don't think Marquette can handle Hartsock and Davies inside. As long as they can withstand the pressure and not turn it over too much, which certainly isn't a given. But this really doesn't look like a 3-14 matchup.

hooter73
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
They have as much chance as we have against Ohio. There is a chance...

Mountaineer
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I hope they destroy Marquette and while they are at it, I hope one of the BYU players throws a haymaker and knocks Marquette's coach out. I absolutely cannot stand Buzz lightyear Williams. I hope they take a shi# on Marquette.

SteelZag
03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
BYU seems to be able to hang with the Zags on any given night. The Zags beat Xavier. Xavier beat Cincinnati by 23. Cincinnati beat Marquette by 11 and Marquette lost to Notre Dame by 16. We beat Notre Dame by 20. Marquette did beat the mighty Huskies(UW) by two. I give BYU a very good chance.

Mountaineer
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
BYU seems to be able to hang with the Zags on any given night. The Zags beat Xavier. Xavier beat Cincinnati by 23. Cincinnati beat Marquette by 11 and Marquette lost to Notre Dame by 16. We beat Notre Dame by 20. Marquette did beat the mighty Huskies(UW) by two. I give BYU a very good chance.

Not to be a dick because I've been a fan of Gonzaga since the early 2000's when I was like 12 years old but that Notre Dame team you all beat by 20 points is not the same Notre Dame team that finished the season. Regardless, the 20 point win was a high quality win.

SWZag
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM

In other words....GU > Huskies! :agreed:

SWZag

SteelZag
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Good catch Mountaineer. All the teams that have made it this far are very dynamic. The Zags did not have Guy-Landry Edi during our victory of Notre Dame for example. Most all of the teams are different than in previous months due to transfers becoming eligible or coming back from injuries or just plain coming together as a team. Basically, I was just trying to point out that BYU IMO is far from a 14 seed and that a victory over Marquette would not be a huge upset. Of course after last nights' game I could be half wrong.

Mountaineer
03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Good catch Mountaineer. All the teams that have made it this far are very dynamic. The Zags did not have Guy-Landry Edi during our victory of Notre Dame for example. Most all of the teams are different than in previous months due to transfers becoming eligible or coming back from injuries or just plain coming together as a team. Basically, I was just trying to point out that BYU IMO is far from a 14 seed and that a victory over Marquette would not be a huge upset. Of course after last nights' game I could be half wrong.

Notre Dame just turned it on. Cannot remember when it started, maybe in January? Haven't seen their schedule but they went on like a 10 game winning streak. We had them beat at home but they knocked three straight 3 balls and ended up beating us by like 3 points at home. Then we played at Notre Dame and they were up by 2 points at halftime. I have no idea what happened in the second half but they came out on fire and absolutely kicked our asses. It was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever witnessed in sports.

JPtheBeasta
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I am starting to feel guilty about encouraging my hunting dogs to chase those two young Mormon missionaries in their inexpensive black suits and bicycles down my driveway. After last night, I am wondering if the man upstairs is on a "mission" to get BYU to the Final Four. But could a loving God disapprove of single malt scotch? I sat through 4 years of theology and philosophy classes at GU and I can't answer that question.

_
God loves scotch. And mojitos.

Mountaineer
03-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Never understood Mormons, but I really know little about them since I don't know any that lives around me. I know they are absolutely against alcohol and Coffee? I mean Coffee? No tobacco, guess no Copenhagen for me.No tea? No offense but I love my sweet iced team. No sports on Sunday? Are they anti-football? No sex. Hell Davies got kicked off the team for having sex with his girlfriend that he's had for awhile. But they can have many wives? Very interesting.

jim77
03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Never understood Mormons, but I really know little about them since I don't know any that lives around me. I know they are absolutely against alcohol and Coffee? I mean Coffee? No tobacco, guess no Copenhagen for me.No tea? No offense but I love my sweet iced team. No sports on Sunday? Are they anti-football? No sex. Hell Davies got kicked off the team for having sex with his girlfriend that he's had for awhile. But they can have many wives? Very interesting.

Nevermind.

Oregonzagnut
03-15-2012, 01:35 AM

1.Most religions are anti alcohol but even on the BYU board i read many posters claiming to drinking after the loss to Gonzaga. They used to drink Ephedra. (Mormon Tea) because it is was loophole. Ephedra is worse than caffeine.
2. Polygamy is definitely NOT mainstream LDS. Look to Islam for that where it is specifically law. It is specifically prohibited in LDS even if some offshoots support and practice it. They are primarily local families, not churches that support it.
3. Like any religion, there are those who adhere strictly and those who are Mormon by name only. Most fall in between somewhere with various "vices" that are chalked up to "God will forgive me anyway, so why not".
4. They are definitely not anti-football. Steve Young played every Sunday, and they will watch Football on Sunday. BYU is so pro football they rival N.D fans. They are just not supposed to do organized work on Sundays to distract them from worship.
5. Sex. Never underestimate the power of a Mormon girl who has finally left the strict confines of home. Just like the stereotypical "Catholic girl", "Mormon girls" are particularly eager. I'm sure the same is said for the guys too. But trust me, I dated a very Mormon girl for 2 years in Alaska. I have some experience with Mormons plus I lived in Bountiful Utah for 7 years too. I put Mormon girls on par with the Asian girls I have dated as far as striving to take care of their men.

Overall, the "sins" are no different than other Christian religions except they treat their religion almost as a business of record keeping and soul saving. They constantly try to convert both the living and the dead to build up their "deeds" to get into a higher level of Heaven.

Joseph Smith really invented a humdinger here.

kitzbuel
03-15-2012, 02:38 AM
But could a loving God disapprove of single malt scotch?

We know his Mother likes wine.

Mountaineer
03-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Most of that is all hogwash. Most important thing in life is honesty, being nice and respectful to others, and helping others when in need. Do those things and you will die a peaceful man.

SWZag
03-15-2012, 06:45 AM
I believe this thread was about a BYU Fan posting a humorous post. Lets return it back to the topic at hand, Can BYU beat Marquette?

Let's leave opinions about religion off this section of the board. Thanks.

SWZag

titopoet
03-15-2012, 06:54 AM
It will be a really interesting game. Having lost Chris Otule for the season, Marquette has very little front-court depth. Jae Crowder is a beast, but Gardner is out of shape and Jamil Wilson is raw. That said, BYU will have a tough time matching up with Darius Johnson-Odom. I'd imagine Abouo will get the assignment, but it's a tall task. If he's hitting his outside shot he becomes almost impossible to defend one on one.

I don't think Abouo get the assignment. They will be throwing their beloved zone at Golden Eagles. Marquette is like Iona in style with bigger athletes. When GU handled them, they zoned it and played possession by possession. With Marquette hitting just 33% of their three, BYU playing like they did in the second half of Iona offers the best chance for victory. BYU active zone will present problems for Marquette, plus having only a couple of days for Marquette to prepare favors BYU. This is a built in advantage to the first four teams.

cjm720
03-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Dave Rose is a heckuva coach and they have talent to hang with anyone...TOs have really hurt them this year, and if they can minimize them a S16 is in reach IMO.

As a play-in seeded 14, they have an easier path to the S16 that us....WTF!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Has any one team played as many games against Catholic schools as BYU is playing, this year? After playing fourteen games against WCC catholic schools between the regular season and tournament, they start the NCAAs with two straight games against Catholic schools.

Their schedule reads like the Parochial School league matchups from South Boston.

KStyles
03-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Has any one team played as many games against Catholic schools as BYU is playing, this year? After playing fourteen games against WCC catholic schools between the regular season and tournament, they start the NCAAs with two straight games against Catholic schools.

Their schedule reads like the Parochial School league matchups from South Boston.

We're close.

We played Xavier and Notre Dame (replaces the two games they played against us), so we were even with them until the WCC Tournament started. They played 2 (USD, GU) in the WCC tourney and we only played one (SMC). However, if you count the Carroll College exhibition, we were even until the NCAAs started.

We can pass them if we get Loyola-MD next round, St. Bonaventure in the Sweet 16, and Creighton in the FF, and (for good measure) one of the Catholic schools from the other side of the bracket in the final.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-15-2012, 09:04 AM
We're close.

We played Xavier and Notre Dame (replaces the two games they played against us), so we were even with them until the WCC Tournament started. They played 2 (USD, GU) in the WCC tourney and we only played one (SMC). However, if you count the Carroll College exhibition, we were even until the NCAAs started.

We can pass them if we get Loyola-MD next round, St. Bonaventure in the Sweet 16, and Creighton in the FF, and (for good measure) one of the Catholic schools from the other side of the bracket in the final.

True, but they raised their GACOT (Games Against Catholic Opponents Total) by playing three games against us.

We do have the edge in the Catholicness of our opponents' names because Xavier and Notre Dame sound more Catholic than Marquette and Iona.

KStyles
03-15-2012, 09:11 AM
True, but they raised their GACOT (Games Against Catholic Opponents Total) by playing three games against us.

I factored that in, Carroll College (Exh.), Notre Dame, Xavier & SMC (WCC Final) = GU x 3 & USD (WCC Tourney)

Iona is where they pulled ahead, and they'll add to the lead against Marquette tonight.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I factored that in, Carroll College (Exh.), Notre Dame, Xavier & SMC (WCC Final) = GU x 3 & USD (WCC Tourney)

Iona is where they pulled ahead, and they'll add to the lead against Marquette tonight.

We'll just have to beat Loyola (MD), St. Bonaventure, and Georgetown on our way to the National Championship game, then.

gamagin
03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
way ahead 35-19, and beginning to relax. 6:23 lef tin half. heh heh.

RenoZag
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
15 point comeback ? Against Marquette?

Lightning might strike twice. But I doubt it