• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

OT - Matt Carlino

Has the WCC seen a player in the last decade who takes more bad shots than this kid? I don't know how BYU fans can stand it. He has to be giving Dave Rose an ulcer.

He can nail some incredibly contested shots, and that's a nice skill to have if the shot clock is close to zero. But not when you have Hartsock and Davies in the frontcourt and 25 ticks on the shot clock. That kid needs to understand where he stands in the pecking order.

The idea of running offense seems foreign to him.
  • john montana
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Agreed...he's a heck of a street baller, but Cusick is a much better fit for that team. Cusick really settled them down last night.

i wonder what the +/- was for Carlino/Cusick last night?
    john montana
    http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2009

Carlino used to scare me (as a Zags fan). Not so much any more. If he could dial it down a notch and play within some sort of system... he could be something special.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

He's a classic chucker. You normally see these sorts at bcs schools and not the likes of BYU.
        Last edited by ZagsObserver; 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
          Has the WCC seen a player in the last decade who takes more bad shots than this kid?
          Kevin Foster attempted 380 threes last year.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

Carlino strikes me as a kid with a lot of potential, but one who just isn't mature enough to be a starting point guard at a high-level Division-I program, yet. He is very athletic, very quick, and can hit some amazing shots. He also makes a lot of risky passes and takes a lot of unnecessarily difficult shots. His decision making needs a lot of work.

It would be nice if BYU had a better option to serve as the full-time point and let this kid mature as the backup point or play more minutes at the off-guard for a year or two before they ask him to run the point.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Baldwinzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

In Carlino's mind, the entire game is a "heat check" to him. Or a game of "Horse".

He's talented and can make incredibly tough shots, yet has no clue on how to establish a tempo, run a team, or get others involved when his shot isn't falling.

Everyone saw how much more effective BYU became when they settled down, ran a half-court offense, swung the ball, and found Hartsock and/or Davies down low or in the middle.

Guys like Cusick and Zylstra aren't the most gifted players, but they understood Rose's game plan, especially in the 2nd half. Also, Carlino's propensity to take quick, questionable shots fell directly into Iona's hands, i.e. fast break opportunities and blazing tempo.

As it stands right now, Carlino can only play at one speed. This issue reminds me of Meech. If others aren't adapting to him, he gets flustered and unsure with the ball, also a very emotional player which can get the best of him by trying to beat the other man, instead of the other team. It leads to him playing out of control and not within himself or his team. Matt Carlino's mindset is that of a Top-20 recruit, in that he sincerely believes his team benefits by his shot falling, when the game isn't just about the starting PG's shot.

He'll learn...or else will never have enough court sense to run a Dave Rose team. I actually think watching Jimmer for a year on the bench actually hurt his own development.

I also felt his comments following the Kennel Club's chant, "You're not Jimmer" says it all. He said, "I hope to prove them wrong someday". Again, an emotional response in believing he's the guy. Kevin Pangos would have said, "I'm not worried about such things, except my team winning." You get the idea.

MC needs to become a point-guard, not the 'next Jimmer'.

ps. Carlino was one of the Zags best players in WCC semis, I'm glad they didn't sit him vs us as they did vs Iona. We weren't losing that game, yet every time they got the game within 10, Carlino would come down the court with 25 secs on shot clock and chuck a 3pt shot from just inside half-court. Pangos would grab the rebound, spring down the court, and hit the jump shot or pass to another for the fast break layup...
              “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
                Carlino used to scare me (as a Zags fan). Not so much any more. If he could dial it down a notch and play within some sort of system... he could be something special.
                Just a frosh. As the years go by, he should settle down and play within himself better. I think he'll be very good in time. Good coaching down there.
                The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                  Just a frosh. As the years go by, he should settle down and play within himself better. I think he'll be very good in time. Good coaching down there.
                  Very true. I guess we're just spoiled with our Frosh.

Although, Carlino did attend UCLA for a Summer term and Fall semester, transferred at Christmas break, then sat out another year at BYU.

Carlino will be All-WCC before its all said & done. He was once ranked one of the Top-5 players in the Country for his age group when he was in middle school in Indiana (no joke).
                  “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2008

Apparently chuckers aren't confined to pick-up games at the Y.
                    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Kevin Foster attempted 380 threes last year.
                      But he hit them at a 37% clip. Not great, but reasonably good. Foster was also by far and away the best offensive option on his team. SCU couldn't compete against decent opposition unless he put points on the board.

Carlino's shooting percentages are horrid, but more importantly, he has two stud big men who shoot 57% and 52% from the floor respectively. Those guys need touches every time down the floor. BYU also has four regulars who shoot better from three point land than Carlino does.

There are some guys who are volume shooters because they have to be in order for their teams to win. A great example of this was Kemba Walker. But BYU has better options than this kid.

Comment

• tobizag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by john montana View Post
                        Agreed...he's a heck of a street baller, but Cusick is a much better fit for that team. Cusick really settled them down last night.

i wonder what the +/- was for Carlino/Cusick last night?
                        carlino finished the game at -19.

cusick finished the game at +31
                        sigpic

GU Class of '07

Comment

• gu03alum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          But he hit them at a 37% clip. Not great, but reasonably good. Foster was also by far and away the best offensive option on his team. SCU couldn't compete against decent opposition unless he put points on the board.

Carlino's shooting percentages are horrid, but more importantly, he has two stud big men who shoot 57% and 52% from the floor respectively. Those guys need touches every time down the floor. BYU also has four regulars who shoot better from three point land than Carlino does.

There are some guys who are volume shooters because they have to be in order for their teams to win. A great example of this was Kemba Walker. But BYU has better options than this kid.
                          You are probably right. I only saw Foster a few times and I got the impression that he never passed up shots. It's a little different, as you pointed out, if your teammates aren't very good and you're forced to do all the heavy lifting.
                          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• john montana
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tobizag View Post
                            carlino finished the game at -19.

cusick finished the game at +31
                            Thanks...i figured it was in that range.
                            john montana
                            http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• BYU
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
                              Very true. I guess we're just spoiled with our Frosh.
                              Perhaps he is Danny Almonte's long lost cousin, because he sure doesn't play like a freshman haha.

Pangos is a very special player all around. His quickness and body control are amazing. Those quick direction changes look effortless. If he get's hot, you will have a very interesting March. Not many teams can match against your big's and guards when everything is clicking.

There are a lot of great insights about Carlino in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X