PDA

View Full Version : I can't hold it in anymore.... BYU!!!

pbriz
03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I am sitting here watching Sportscenter for the 3rd time and still get chills from that comeback.

Zylstra's reaction says it all. BYU fan from here on out in the tourney.

Keep it going against Marquette!

Mountaineer
03-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I am sitting here watching Sportscenter for the 3rd time and still get chills from that comeback.

Zylstra's reaction says it all. BYU fan from here on out in the tourney.

Keep it going against Marquette!

lol, that'd probably be you guys on Thursday lmao. Prostitutes don't choke as much as WVU

Psychozag
03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I do not like BYU for a number of reasons, number one being the attitude I have encountered to being in the WCC, but that was awesome. I really do feel for the Iona players. That one had to HURT. I knew BYU was going to win when they were still down 9 just by the body language on the court. You got the sense that the Iona players knew it was coming and had no idea how to stop it. Ouch.

Gonswagga
03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Just the fact that at about the ten minute mark in the 1st half the game lent itself to solely be preview for an Iona v. Marquette matchup and then just a monumental drop off. 17 points in a half? Insane.

krozman
03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
The 2nd half is why they're in the dance.
The first half is why they will never advance past the round of 64.

Great game tho.

Zag79
03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
and regardless they can claim the biggest comeback in ncaa history. its moves that like in a game that show off coaching more than any other. coming back from so far down or holding off a furious rally, both take amazing character, big shots, and even bigger in game changes.

rose put his players in position to make the rally, and they responded. wether your behind by a lot, or up big and the other team is making a charge its about moves made by the coaches and then players exectuing them. and by players, i mean stars. hartsock was the man, and he took over.

i dont like byu, but i cant deny i was really impressed and part of me hopes we'll see that from our staff next time its needed. smc in vegas would have been perfect to take a chance and surprise smc with a new strategy. then take that and force them to stop our best players, elias for example. they had no answer for him and yet we rarely went to him, instead opting for long threes from a cold freshman. yes, shoot thru a slump but in a one possession game give the ball to your dominant junior or senior.

in advance, im not knocking few as much as im praising rose. and no one can deny they wouldnt like to see that from our staff once in a while. some times change is good for you when the original plan isnt working. great win for byu, cant wait to see what we draw up for wv! go zags!

Oregonzagnut
03-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Like 'em or not, they played an epic 14 seed game just to get into the first round. Good day to be in the WCC

BYU is on a mission. Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKZSqd5Y8nA

It is great for the WCC and will be remembered by BYU fans forever. Good for them, but.....

GodisaCougar?:lmao: Not! :bishop_smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsLzHYRtts

jim77
03-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Great win for the Cougars....I was wondering when they were gonna make it a half court game. Coach Rose did a great job...Great day for the WCC!

Speaking of doing things different.....There is absolutely NO reason to play man defense on WV. Lets see them take us out with the 3 ball. Time to sag it on in...if we keep them to outside shooting and off of the offensive boards..we win...it will also keep our bigs fresh....GO ZAGS!

African Zag
03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
The coaching strategy made by Rose was brilliant. At the 6 minute mark of the second half, Iona simply didn't know what to do to stop BYU and Hartsock. You see it with Iona's players.

Good press for the WCC.

WallaWallaZag
03-14-2012, 02:18 AM
it was a nice coaching move by rose...but at the same time, it's easy to make a major change in strategy when you're absolutely getting your a** handed to you. not so easy to do in the middle of a tight game like in the wcc final against smc (for those who are constantly on few to make major in-game changes, it's hard to take a risk when the game is tight, especially if you have confidence in your system and in your players to execute your system).

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-14-2012, 02:35 AM
I turned it off when BYU was down 22 in the first half.

Ooops.

jazzdelmar
03-14-2012, 03:35 AM
all kudos to coach rose. a brilliantly coached game and ballsy in terms of pulling carlino. however, iona coach cluess was, well, clueless. he had that familiar (to zags fans) deer in the headlights look as byu closed in. why in the world did the gaels slow it down with 15 mins to play, as if trying to kill clock and nurse the lead? horns to cluess, trumpets to rose. oh, by the way, this telecast prob set the record for most commercials in an ncaa gm. is this what we have to look forward to? move on.

sweezag
03-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Because of this win by BYU ... I want to think this says something (i) incredibly positive about the quality of WCC teams in the tourney as well as about (ii) what I believe to be an under appreciation (by the national audience) for what Gonzaga, St. Mary's and BYU are capable in this thing. I, for one, feel much better about the survival rates of our three WCC teams in the early rounds of the tournament because of this win.

NotoriousZ
03-14-2012, 05:31 AM
all kudos to coach rose. a brilliantly coached game and ballsy in terms of pulling carlino. however, iona coach cluess was, well, clueless. he had that familiar (to zags fans) deer in the headlights look as byu closed in. why in the world did the gaels slow it down with 15 mins to play, as if trying to kill clock and nurse the lead? horns to cluess, trumpets to rose. oh, by the way, this telecast prob set the record for most commercials in an ncaa gm. is this what we have to look forward to? move on.

Barkley really came down on coach Cluess also for slowing it down in the second half. But he gave hardly any credit to BYU for the comeback.

Man, that was turrible.

Jakester425
03-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Barkley really came down on coach Cluess also for slowing it down in the second half. But he gave hardly any credit to BYU for the comeback.

Man, that was turrible.

You spelled it wrong Notorious, its "trbl" :lmao:

Zagpower
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Interesting pregame note by one of the analysts mentioning that Carlino does not like to get pressed or harassed. Wow, did he nail it. I hope we press the crap out of BYU next year.

DADoZAG
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Congrats to BYU and Coach Rose, but I don't think the "rope-a-dope" strategy will work against Marquette.

Carlino shouldn’t start the next game. He played much better after watching for awhile and I’ll bet his man parts didn’t shrink one bit because of it.

Hopefully the ZAGS watched and got the lesson that forcing doesn't work. Taking what the opponent gives you while playing to your strengths is a much easier strategy.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Quite a comeback, quite a game. Rose just had to get his guys to stop playing Iona's game and start playing BYU's game. Once he did that, game over. Kudos to Rose and his squad.

This came after another great comeback win by our old friends the Hilltoppers.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Last night's games left a bad taste in my mouth. The WKU comeback and the BYU game just made it all feel like a circus and not a basketball tournament.

I don't want to take anything away from BYU because that comeback was awesome and took a lot of heart for them to pull through.

But... Iona is awful. They just played out of their minds for the first 16 minutes. Who was that team that scored 17 points in the final 24 minutes? That was the Iona team we've seen all year with no top-50 RPI wins that did not deserve to be in the tournament. The way they played in the first half was something to behold, though. They were pushing the ball up the court so fast and Marchano looked like a no-brainer lottery pick. I feel sorry for Iona because at the end of their 16-minute explosion the refs seemed to start feeling bad for BYU and let BYU get away with a couple hacks under the basket (Iona made both FGs anyway, that's how good they were playing).

BYU was the better team and should have won, those no calls probably didn't affect the outcome as Iona looked like they just wanted to get it over with at the end anyway, but I've never seen a game turn like that. The game was so lopsided that the officials wanted to refrain from stopping the clock and putting people to sleep, and all of a sudden it's the other way around. Props to BYU.

Oh, and I think BYU is a way better team with Carlino on the bench or not on the team at all. He is a mess on the court.

75Zag
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Judging from that comeback, the man upstairs is a Mormon. I have begun tearing out the crucifixes and Catholic brick-a-brack from around the '75 Estate and we will complete the installation of the seagull statues and golden tablet images tomorrow morning, just in time for the GU-WVU game. If the LDS folks would just add single malt scotch to their list of approved beverages, I may consider converting.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

BJZags
03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
The 2nd half is why they're in the dance.
The first half is why they will never advance past the round of 64.

Therein lies a big problem, it took the Cougs fifteen minutes to remember how to play basketball. What has it been, like three weeks since they've played last? I only hope it won't take the Zags that long to shake off the rust.

former1dog
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Therein lies a big problem, it took the Cougs fifteen minutes to remember how to play basketball. What has it been, like three weeks since they've played last? I only hope it won't take the Zags that long to shake off the rust.

The Gonzaga coaching staff has had many years of practice in developing the correct strategy to deal with the long layoff between the conference tournament and the NCAA's. They should have that formula figured out by now.

Coach Crazy
03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Judging from that comeback, the man upstairs is a Mormon. I have begun tearing out the crucifixes and Catholic brick-a-brack from around the '75 Estate and we will complete the installation of the seagull statues and golden tablet images tomorrow morning, just in time for the GU-WVU game. If the LDS folks would just add single malt scotch to their list of approved beverages, I may consider converting.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

The Lord got them out of Egypt, but they'll complain for 40 years in the desert and forget what got them there in the first place. No promised land for the Zoobs (best analogy for the tourney I could come up with). And while "God is a Mormon", he is more of a Zag basketball fan than anything, trust me on that one ;) Zoobie U sold its birthright for a mess of pottage, so we should be fine with it hahha.