PDA

View Full Version : 3 Zags in '09 Mock Draft

tenniszag
07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Not that it means anything, just something fun to look at.

http://nbadraft.net/index.asp?content=mock2009

Rubbadub
07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Bouldin made a pretty big jump! I expect Pargo and Heytvelt to do the same over the next year. :)

MDABE80
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Not so fast Tennis. What this means is that 3 starters are good enough to be ranked or slotted for the NBA. Not small change. Now IF we can keep all 3 of these guys around for another year, the Zags should advance as never before. I dunno if we can keep these kids but if we can....... there will be some very happy faces in Zagworld.

zzzjag
07-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I find it wild that Tyler Hansbrough is (in this mock draft) predicted as a last pick in the first round and in the same breath a potential POY next season.

bigparb
07-17-2007, 10:40 PM
....a week or two ago there were 4 Zags listed on the 09 Mock Draft....Downs was the last pick of the 2nd round.....

Zag79
07-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I find it wild that Tyler Hansbrough is (in this mock draft) predicted as a last pick in the first round and in the same breath a potential POY next season.
POY in COLLEGE. then his stock plummets playing against many of the same guys in the nba. :lmao: good ol nba.

FuManShoes
07-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised to see Heytvelt down so far, and to some extent, Pargo. Those guys have tremendous physical gifts, and thus, tremendous upside, which is what GMs seem to value above all else. If Josh stays clean and adds some weight this year, I can see him being a first rounder. He's long, fast, has hops, good hands, can play on the perimeter, etc, etc. If he develops a few more post moves and commits to mixing it up down there, he will be a lottery pick. Pargo has the kind of raw physical talent that scouts must drool over. He can already get to the rim on most anyone with his hesitation dribble, crossover, spin move, etc. He has incredible hops. Might be a bit slow laterally, but he more than makes up with it with his "quickness," size and strength. If he develops any kind of jumper and improves his basketball IQ (stop picking up the dribble, forcing passes, charging defenders, taking too much time to start a play, etc.), he will be a first-rounder, and possibly a lottery pick. Downs is harder to read, as he seems to have immense scoring abilities, but is rail thin. He has hops, length and touch, but his lack of physicality and defense may make him more of a bench scoring threat than a starter in the league, and thus he will have to really improve to be a first-rounder. Bouldin should be a first rounder and possible a lottery pick. The guy makes passes that guys 10 years his senior can't make, has a hesitation move, rebounds well for his position and is only going to become a better scorer. He reminds me a lot of Deron Williams, and we've seen how he's panned out in the league. Very scary to think these four are NBA talents, along with some of the freshmen. I just hope they set aside NBA dreams and hoop for GU, knowing that success in college and commitment to the team will translate into high draft picks and big bucks.

CDC84
07-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I think we need to see how some of these players develop over the course of this season before we start commenting about how this guy is too low or this guy is too high with the mock lists. For right now, that 2009 mock list is just an indication that Gonzaga has some nice talent on their roster. I mean, most talent evaluators, including the folks at nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com know that Josh has lottery level talent, but that his talent doesn't mean squat if he shows a lack of commitment to the game, his teammates, and toward getting better for an extended period of time. He has something to prove before he moves up.

One interesting way to look at the talent on GU's roster is to look how draftexpress.com has rated GU's upperclassmen:

http://draftexpress.com/player_rankings.php?r=4

http://draftexpress.com/mymock.php?page=official&year=2009

According to these lists, GU has 4 juniors and seniors that are ranked in the top 30 nationally in their respective class. Now I don't think this means much in terms of the NBA, but there are very, very few teams at the D-1 level who can say that they have upperclassmen with the talent level of Heytvelt/Downs/Pargo/Kuso if these rankings are even close to being accurate. They don't have Pendo listed with the seniors, but as we know, Pendo could play for just about anyone at the college level and get minutes in some capacity.

dim4sum
07-19-2007, 08:05 AM
I observe that the NBAdraft site urges Bouldin to lose weight around the middle so as to increase his mobility and speed. I've been concerned the last few years about the rash of preseason injuries. I hope the trainers finally get the message that increasing quickness decreases the possibility of injury. Get them out on the track and out of the weight room, please. Just ask Johnny Wooden. He has been a proponent of that for years and at 96 still is. He still does his laps every day.

deathchina
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Zag79,

Do you think Ty is going to be a good NBA player?

Zag79
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
i think he could be. if he maintains his work ethic and attitude i dont see why he wouldnt. except it is the nba, and they tend to draft and play guys that can run and jump faster and higher than the guys that have better basketball skills. a good example is ronny and jp. ronny was only better than jp in athelticism, while IMO and of many people is that overall jp was the more skilled player, better scorer by far, etc of the two. look who made it. so your guess is as good as mine DC.