PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane

former1dog
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm training for a marathon and so I'm spending a lot of time on the treadmill. Dug out some old games I had burned on DVD to keep me occupied.

Watched the 2007 St. Joes vs. Gonzaga game.

It was funny to see that 4 of 5 starters for Gonzaga in that game are now professional basketball players and we had at least 3 pros sitting on the bench.

How many Gonzaga grads are currently making money playing ball somewhere?

former1dog
03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Ok, answered my own question. I've got 14 former GU players who I think are still making money playing hoops:

Steven Gray
Matt Bouldin
Will Foster
Jeremy Pargo
Austin Daye
Micah Downs
Josh Heytvelt
Ira Brown
Abdullahi Kuso
Derek Raivio
Adam Morrison
Jp Batista
Ronny Turiaf
Zach Gourde

75Zag
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Ok, answered my own question. I've got 14 former GU players who I think are still making money playing hoops:

Steven Gray
Matt Bouldin
Will Foster
Jeremy Pargo
Austin Daye
Micah Downs
Josh Heytvelt
Ira Brown
Abdullahi Kuso
Derek Raivio
Adam Morrison
Jp Batista
Ronny Turiaf
Zach Gourde

Not exactly the starting lineup for the NBA All Star Game, but I am glad they are doing what they love to do - and are (hopefully) getting paid for doing it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

former1dog
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Turns out there were 8 guys on that '07-'08 team that played basketball for money after their GU days.

I think there are likely 8 guys on our current roster that will play for money if they want to. Outside shot at 3 or 4 NBA'ers. Before anyone gets their underwear in a bunch, I'm going to say all of our potential NBA'ers are LOOOOONG shots for the NBA.

ZagNative
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
2011 - Steven Gray, Ventspils in Latvia. (Scored 14 points this morning in a win in the first game in the quarter finals of the Eurochallenge.)

2010 - Matt Bouldin - Buducnost in Montenegro - scored 5 points this morning in a win in an Adriatic League game.

(Will Foster played in D-League this winter but was recently waived by the Rio Grande Vipers.)

2009 - Jeremy pargo, Memphis Grizzlies

2009 - Austin Daye - Detroit Pistons

2009 - Micah Downs - Assign Manresssa in Spain - playing very well.

2009 - Josh Heytvelt - Played for Zagreb in Croatia, but recently he's not been in any box scores, so he may be injured or may have transferred.

2009 - Ira Brown - Toyama Grouses in Japan, playing well

2008 - Abdullahi Kuso - Played in the Canadian BBL until recently, when he transferred to Zadar, in Croatia.

2007 - Derek Raivio - Shinshu Brave Warriors, Japan, playing very well.

2006 - Adam Morrison - Beşiktaş Milangaz in Turkey - wa playing well, but I haven't seen him in any box scores recently and wonder if he's injured or left the team.

2006 - JP Batista, LeMans, France, where he is a pilar of the team.

2005 - Ronny Turiaf, Washington Wizards (has been injured with a broken hand for most of the season.)

2003(?) - Zach Gourde - GET Vosges, in France.

bullzag23
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm training for a marathon and so I'm spending a lot of time on the treadmill. Dug out some old games I had burned on DVD to keep me occupied.

Watched the 2007 St. Joes vs. Gonzaga game.

It was funny to see that 4 of 5 starters for Gonzaga in that game are now professional basketball players and we had at least 3 pros sitting on the bench.

How many Gonzaga grads are currently making money playing ball somewhere?

I'd say a good number of players from this year's roster will end up getting paid to play at some point. Sacre, Harris, Dower, Pangos, GBJ, KO....Edi? I'm sure I missed someone, but I'm sleep deprived so sue me :D

PS-Good luck with the marathon. Which race are you training for?

former1dog
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM

"Race" will be a stretch. ;)

Salt Lake City in April.

bullzag23
03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
"Race" will be a stretch. ;)

Salt Lake City in April.

Oh so you're probably well into your training by now, good luck! Not sure what the weather in SLC is like in April but I'd hope that it's better than my experience in seattle just after turkey day.

gu03alum
03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd say a good number of players from this year's roster will end up getting paid to play at some point. Sacre, Harris, Dower, Pangos, GBJ, KO....Edi? I'm sure I missed someone, but I'm sleep deprived so sue me :D

I would add Spangler to your list. He will get paid for his ability to get rebounds imo.