PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs West Virginia...Predictions/thoughts

Reborn
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Wow! Isn't this what we wait for all year? Its been a long wait too. I hate those 10 days between the conference championship and the first game in the Dance. There is nothing like dancing in the NCAA tournament. I like our seed and I like our pod. I don't think we could have gotten anything any better than this.

Thoughts: Zags will win! Sacre and Harris will be much better than most people have thought. Pangos, Bell and Edi-Landry will play much better than they did against St Mary's in conference tournament finals' game. After Pangos is done on Thursday night we will never remember the St Mary's game.

The reffing is great. The Zags look as good as they have looked all year. The score surprises some because WV has had so many close games this year.

Gonzaga 75
West Virginia 63

former1dog
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Gonzaga employs a 3/4 quarter press and traps at mid court to speed the game up.

Harris outrebounds KJ.

We wear them out with our depth.

Pull away significantly down the stretch.

GU 78
WVU 62

demian
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Wow! Isn't this really what we wait all year to see? This is the game that I love the most. There is nothing like dancing in the NCAA tournament.

Thoughts: Zags will win! Sacre and Harris will be much better than most people have thought. Pangos, Bell and Edi-Landry will play much better than they did against St Mary's in conference tournament finals' game. After Pangos is done on Thursday night we will never remember the St Mary's game.
The reffing is great. The Zags look as good as they have looked all year. The score surprises some because WV has had so many close games this year.

Gonzaga 75
West Virginia 63

I am predicting Gonzaga wins 65-63. This will be a close game. West Virginia plays good defense and is a tough team. They have a great player in Kevin Jones, if we dont box him out he will destroy us on the offensive glass. Sacre should be able to handle Denis Kilicli there center. Our guards are definetly better than there guards. Our bench is better than theirs. I just think the difference in this game will be containing Kevin Jones on the offensive glass. This will be a tough game that I think will go right down to the wire.

raise the zag
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
IF we play M2M the entire game, GBJ is hesitant to shoot & defer, Pangos misses his first two 3's, and Sacre collects two early fouls vs KJ, we're likely one 'n done losing: 66 - 58.

IF we mix up our defense vs their poor shooters throughout, GBJ takes his open shots & stay aggressive on offense, KP hits one of his first 3 3pt attempts, and Sacre stays out of foul trouble the entire, we likely win going away: 75 - 64

3 main concerns:

1. Sacre foul trouble.

2. GBJ hesitancy on offense. (this still makes inexplicable sense to me. best 3pt % in conference, all-freshman, best FG% of any guard, Wash POY, etc, yet still defers.)

3. Pangos' shooting woes away from home.

That's it. If we can avoid at least 2 of 3 above, we win handedly. We're simply more versatile, way better shooting, and have the size to go toe-to-toe with WVU. The Freshman guard thing may come to bite us a bit in the post-season, we'll see...

McZag
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
WV's best chance is to make this a highly physical game. If they set the tone early and turn it into a brawl it will be very close. If the Zags can run, they will run away in the second half.

I'm thinking the former.

WV 67
Zagdogs 63

Zags better be ready for a rough one.

Reborn
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I am predicting Gonzaga wins 65-63. This will be a close game. West Virginia plays good defense and is a tough team. They have a great player in Kevin Jones, if we dont box him out he will destroy us on the offensive glass. Sacre should be able to handle Denis Kilicli there center. Our guards are definetly better than there guards. Our bench is better than theirs. I just think the difference in this game will be containing Kevin Jones on the offensive glass. This will be a tough game that I think will go right down to the wire.

I know you really like this team, Demian. I think it's too bad we have to play them in the NCAA's. After watching them a couple of times I was not quite as impressed with them as you were. But I do like Jones. Who wouldn't. I'm anxious to see how Elias does against them. I think it will be a very key matchup. Not key to the game, but just the best match up between the two teams, like you said your post. The key to the game will be how well our guards play vs theirs. I'll be excited to either watch the game with you or talk to you afterwards.

WVUGRAD92
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Too great coaches and a hard fought game...

TacomaZAG
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM
If the Zags score below 60 (bloodbath), we lose. If the guys score more than 65 (up-tempo), we win. 60-65 points it's a toss-up.

I'm hoping for an up-tempo game, with Rob and Elias running the floor.

Go ZAGS

Kiddwell
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Advancing in the tourney,
Zags beat West Virginnie!
------------
Worldwide Zags -- 72
I Wear a Raccoon on my Head -- 59

:]

kyle dixon
03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Setting the tone early. Pressure the heck out of the Mountaineer guards and then a couple of run-outs by Edi and Bell for some easy two's. Pangos needs to have a great floor game by pushing the ball every time down the floor and avoid this turning in to a half court grinder. Limit the turnovers and hit our three pointers. Zags 71 Mountaineers 62,

DixieZag
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
If we are up at half - if we have more than 30 at half - if we have 4 3s at half and Rob/Elias/Pangos do not have 2 fouls at half . . . we win.

The WVU fans readily admit that they have trouble closing out games, GU fans readily admit that we have trouble coming from behind. This is a game where we HAVE to get out ahead and set the pace and then try to hold off a home crowd backed charge.

I think GU wins b/c of a deeper bench. I don't think we can hope for a repeat of last year's St. John's game, WVU is too well coached and plays too good Defense. But I do think we can come out ahead - I expect us to come out ahead.

GU 68
WVU 61

If it is an ugly war and half court slug fest - then I think we are 50/50 - only b/c we are playing a team that is 4-8 or something in the last 12 games.

DixieZag
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh - almost forgot. We need to have fewer than 10 TOs. I guess that goes without saying.

Hopefully we can get some TOs from WV, I don't think they are expecting the type of defense we can play

Zagger
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Will stick my neck out a bit and bet the Zags score in the high 70s - low 80s. Why - bench. WV doesn't know us and there's no way they're gonna get to know the whole Zag team. I'll bet we see some good playing by the usual suspects plus Edi, Carter, Dower & Mönninghoff too. The Zags will be rested, hungry and game time is @ a reasonable hour. How WV does ..... will depend on Zag D and Zag D is pretty good. It'll be a good game.

LongIslandZagFan
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Zags 72
WV 64

If the Zags hit 65-70 they win, IMHO.

Quick, fast, transition basketball... run and gun baby.

Johnnygu
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Play solid defense, limit turnovers, don't let that "truck" guard of WVU go off or the Rutledge guy (Jones will have his day), shoot over 50% from the field, stay up tempo...thats pretty much it for keys to the game, simple really! lol