PDA

View Full Version : Van Coleman on Gibbs...he can play some D

CDC84
07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Hoopmasters head man Van Coleman is based out of Iowa. This is part of what he had to say about Gibbs in this article (I know Applezag will like this):

http://hoopmasters.com/article.php?aid=1184720452

Gibbs averaged 13 points, 6 rebounds, and handed out 7 assists as he led his high school squad to the state large school title. This spring he's upped his game to a whole new level, especially on the defensive end where he has shown an ability to change the game against smaller guards. Something that has drawn him the interest of a number of high major programs.[/

I have been told that Gibbs has long arms. He can be highly disruptive on defense against perimeter players who you think might be able to get past him.

zagster318
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Hoopmasters head man Van Coleman is based out of Iowa. This is part of what he had to say about Gibbs in this article (I know Applezag will like this):

http://hoopmasters.com/article.php?aid=1184720452

I have been told that Gibbs has long arms. He can be highly disruptive on defense against perimeter players who you think might be able to get past him.

That's great news for the Zags, since perimeter D has been a bugaboo the past few years. If Gibbs can stop the other guards from penetrating into the lane, then the number of open 3's will decrease significantly.

tyra
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Anyone read anything about Grant's foot speed? I think it is great news that he has defensive chops but I wonder about his wheels. That would be such a bonus. And a needed one.

MickMick
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
My knock against Romar last year was that he tried to run with a big, slow team. I don't put the Zags in that category.

The Zags love to run and they love to score. Foot speed is half the equation. Depth is the other as fresh legs are important too. I am not surprized that Coach Few has been eyeing some speedsters.

I like versatility. The ability to matchup with any team at any pace. I don't think Gibbs hurts us in that area....especially if the Zags nail one of those lightning quick speedsters.

The teams that we had no answer for last year......WSU, Butler, ... even Indiana in this sense

They beat us with a slower, defense-minded tempo. Gibbs will really help us against those type of teams.

I also look for him to really help in an extremely important area......offensive rebounds. Those second chance points are how you put teams away.

Nevtelen
07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I've tried to read as much as I could find on the net about Gibbs recently and I remember reading somewhere something on the order of his speed in terms of quick first step/penetration is pretty decent, but he needs to improve his lateral foot speed. I can't seem to track down where I read that at the moment, but if I find it again I'll post the link.

Zag79
07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
That's great news for the Zags, since perimeter D has been a bugaboo the past few years. If Gibbs can stop the other guards from penetrating into the lane, then the number of open 3's will decrease significantly.
even a lightning fast gibbs wouldnt change thiat my friend. the open 3s come from coaching, not players. the scheme will keep it that way regardless of the players.

dim4sum
07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
In the one game I saw him play--that video feed from the tournament in the Bronx, he was pumping threes from all over the place--early in the game.
However, I didn't see a lot of creating, or movement without the ball. Would have liked to see more of that. Also, I noted a lot standing around, but that could have been the coach's instructions to work the perimeter. His team ran out of steam in the second half, nonetheless. Not to be a killjoy here, but aspects of his game are still a mystery, unless anyone else out there knows better.