PDA

View Full Version : Hello / Greetings from WVU Followers

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Wanted to wish you guys good luck and safe travels.

SWZag
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
M'eer, Welcome and thank you. Safe travels to you as well, just don't run out of gas on the long drive north! ;-)

Please feel free to give us a run-down on West Virginia! It's always welcome!!

SWZag

tobizag
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
safe travels to your team as well...hope they don't trip on anything on the walk over from campus....

no but seriously, welcome to the board.

HOOTER
03-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Same to you, except for the safe travels part considering y'all don't really have to travel. ;)

raise the zag
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks.

We have a 2700 mile, 3-time zone, all day flight...

You have a 45 min commute via car, bus, or bike...

I'd rather have your itinerary.

zag944
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to the game, WVU is a team Ive always really liked for some reason.

Go Zags!

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
We aren't very good this year.Lack scoring threats. Many freshmen. We cannot close games out. We have blown so many damn games this year in the final few minutes.

McZag
03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
We aren't very good this year.Lack scoring threats. Many freshmen. We cannot close games out. We have blown so many damn games this year in the final few minutes.

Aw don't tell us that Mountaineer! Complain that you got snubbed by the committee or have underachieved lately or are much better than your record because of your conference. That way we will feel good about the outcome either way.

Good luck and safe travels to your team and fans as well.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
hahaha. We got screwed in a few games, no goaltending against Syracuse, a phantom foul call that took the game into overtime against Baylor. We lost by 1 point to Marquette. I mean we have a solid team but we are just so young and we do so many stupid things. Kevin Jones is the real deal. He's had 20 double doubles and average 20/11 all season. I expect him to at least get 20 points and 11 rebounds against you guys...but the problem is that's about it. Nobody else will step up and score some points. Truck Bryant has been so inconsistent all year. He's put up 30 points a few games and nothing the others. I'm going into this game that we will lose. I'm just happy that spring football started yesterday lol

former1dog
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Truck Bryant has been so inconsistent all year.

Consistent or not, that's a kick ass name. :D

tobizag
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm just happy that spring footballstarted yesterday lol

what is this "football" you talk about?

rennis
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the board!

Here's to a clean, hard-fought game on Thursday. :cheers:

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I have no expectations. We could go out and win and then beat Ohio State and go to the sweet 16. We could also get up against you guys and choke it down the drain in the final minutes like we have done for the most of this year. Or you could blow us out from the start like St. Johns. I have no expectations. Next year, I'll have some expectations, as we should have a solid top 25 team. This year, just too damn inconsistent and too young. Next year, we'll finally have a true point gaurd that had to sit out this season since he was a transfer. We'll also have a NBA talent power forward/center that had to also sit out this year due to transfer and we only lose 2 players in Kevin Jones and Truck. Losing KJ will be a big loss due to his offense rebounding ability and scoring. Truck, we don't lose much from this year because he's only had a handful of games that he made a significant impact.

MtneerMike
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I just wanted to stop by and see what's up with you Zag fans. Looking forward to the game Thursday. Hopefully, we will come to play, and our two-headed "monster" known as Truck will be in over-drive not neutral! Having said that, I have a feeling that it is going to end up being a classic tournament game, and I'm counting down the hours. And all of you making the trip east, be safe!! :cheers:

madness
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Who are the two transfers sitting out? (I'm always interested in the Big East, since Gtown is my East Coast team)

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Juwan Staten is the point guard. He played for Dayton his freshman year and then decided to transfer out. Aaric Murray is the power forward/center. He played for La Salle before transferring to WVU.

sullyzag66
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I have no expectations. We could go out and win and then beat Ohio State and go to the sweet 16. We could also get up against you guys and choke it down the drain in the final minutes like we have done for the most of this year. Or you could blow us out from the start like St. Johns. I have no expectations. Next year, I'll have some expectations, as we should have a solid top 25 team. This year, just too damn inconsistent and too young. Next year, we'll finally have a true point gaurd that had to sit out this season since he was a transfer. We'll also have a NBA talent power forward/center that had to also sit out this year due to transfer and we only lose 2 players in Kevin Jones and Truck. Losing KJ will be a big loss due to his offense rebounding ability and scoring. Truck, we don't lose much from this year because he's only had a handful of games that he made a significant impact.
Zags are a little of that as well.

bullzag23
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Aw don't tell us that Mountaineer! Complain that you got snubbed by the committee or have underachieved lately or are much better than your record because of your conference. That way we will feel good about the outcome either way.

Good luck and safe travels to your team and fans as well.

I just want to hear about how tough the Big East is compared to every other conference, and how GU wouldn't even be .500 in BE play. Right, St. John's?

Zagdawg
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
You also have 2 big freshman the 6' 10" kid and the 6 11" kid that don't look to be playing either-- is it just a development thing?

Zagdawg
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the board. We are also looking forward to the game-- it should be a good one.

JPtheBeasta
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
hahaha. We got screwed in a few games, no goaltending against Syracuse, a phantom foul call that took the game into overtime against Baylor. We lost by 1 point to Marquette. I mean we have a solid team but we are just so young and we do so many stupid things. Kevin Jones is the real deal. He's had 20 double doubles and average 20/11 all season. I expect him to at least get 20 points and 11 rebounds against you guys...but the problem is that's about it. Nobody else will step up and score some points. Truck Bryant has been so inconsistent all year. He's put up 30 points a few games and nothing the others. I'm going into this game that we will lose. I'm just happy that spring football started yesterday lol

I forgot that was you guys who got hosed on that goal tending no-call. Aweful, aweful call. I appreciated Huggins frankness about it- he was obviously upset but didn't call out the refs, per se. I have respect for Huggins as a coach, although I admittedly don't know much about him off the court. The scene with him on the ground, comforting his injured guard (last year/Dashawn Butler?) was poignant and changed my view on a guy that I thought was pretty harsh simply from his demeanor on the sidelines and his style of play.

I'm looking forward to our matchups down low. Sacre is used to being the biggest, strongest guy out there and this will be a test. It will also be interesting to see how we attack the zone (that's what you run primarily, correct?). Syracuse stiffled us with theirs recently. I've been worried about our freshman inexperience, but it appears neither of us can use that excuse for at least one game. I would be confident in a win against you guys, were this a true neutral site game. Here's to an injury free and well played game on both sides.

DixieZag
03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Just so you know the rules - you are not supposed to give us any respect and you are supposed to tell us that we would finish 21st in the Big East and that you will eat our lunch, just like all the Johnies last year. No "good game" this "or close game" "you guys will give us all we can handle" crap.

J/K - - we really do have a friendly board and love to talk BB, you sould like just the right type.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Kevin Noreen is one of the freshmen you're talking about. He's actually redshirt freshman. He played last year but sustained an injury in the early part of the season and was out for the entire year. Welp, he broke his ankle in this backyard brawl and was ruled done for the season. Pat Forysthe is the other freshman. He played some this year but suffered through some injuries and Huggins has decided to let him heal and try to get him a medical redshirt.

Zagdawg
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
So you get pretty light on bigs after your big 2?

Salsageek
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Why are you guys so nice??? It's not supposed to be like this. j/k :roll:

Welcome to the board!

madness
03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Juwan Staten is the point guard. He played for Dayton his freshman year and then decided to transfer out. Aaric Murray is the power forward/center. He played for La Salle before transferring to WVU.

Awesome, thx for the info...Intesting that both GU and WVU are also recruiting JC Mark McLaughlin at Wing...have you seen reports on him? Lots on info here on the board...

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Also, I've always been a fan of you guys. I guess from the cinderella story and being a mid-major. Now you guys are no longer the cinderella story or a mid-major. Few has built a respectable program out there and now you guys are nationally recognized. From Dikau to Morrison to Raivio to Pargo to Heytvelt to Gray to Bouldin to Pangos and everyone in between. Some quality and exciting players over the years.

Zagdawg
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
It looks like the starting lineup is:

Jones 6-8
Kilicli 6-9
Bryant 6-2
Hinds 5-11
Miles 6-6 for a short time then Brown 6-5 (not too many points here)

Who is your defensive stopper type? between Bryant and Hinds

bartruff1
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Apparently the " not so nice "....people are at St John's...

awberke
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Why are you guys so nice??? It's not supposed to be like this. j/k :roll:

Welcome to the board!

I went over to the WVU board and i thought the same thing! Really respectful when talking about GU and the game. Breath of fresh air coming from the BYU boards.

P.S. I love how much they hate Pitt too.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Everyone plays pretty solid defense. You have to or Huggins will jerk you out and chew your ass ( which is kind of fun to watch on tv, but at the same time you feel sorry for the player, lol). Keaton Miles plays really good defense, but his offense has not been good this year, but he's shown flashes as a freshman. He's due to break out but probably won't happen to next season. Aaron Brown was shooting the 3 ball really well in the early part of the season, but his shot has fell off the face of the Earth. Hinds is lightning fast, he may be one of the quickest guards in the country. Gary Brown plays excellent defense and hustles his ass off, a very gustsy player that plays with a huge heart. Dominic Rutledge has been coming on strong for us. I believe he's the X-Factor for our success or failure. He played a damn good game against UCONN in all aspects of the game. I think he's finally getting the grasp of things or least I hope. Kilicli has been slumping some. He has 1 crazy ass sweeping hook shot. He's usually pretty good with it but has been struggling as of late. He's a big body, very muscular and strong. Truck Bryant is key for us too. He is the other senior besides Kevin Jones. If KJ and Truck both play solid, we are very tough to beat. The problem is that Truck has only had a handful of solid games this year. KJ has been consistent. We strive on rebounds, and hard nose defense.

Dirt McGirt
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MWg4IyCLva0/TXHn0BHBceI/AAAAAAAABaM/MVo4xYJAR4w/s1600/Lionel_Richie_Hello_Lost_Sign.jpg

Dirt McGirt
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry. Didn't realize it was going to be that big. *

*also things I've never said.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MWg4IyCLva0/TXHn0BHBceI/AAAAAAAABaM/MVo4xYJAR4w/s1600/Lionel_Richie_Hello_Lost_Sign.jpg

The new haircut looks good, Dirt.

rennis
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Whatever else I feel about the man, he has a way with words. I remember when we played Cincy in the pre-season in 2000, they interviewed him going into the locker room at half-time (ESPN2 IIRC...) It was a tight game and he was clearly frustrated.

"Coach, what will you tell your kids at half-time"

BH: "I'm going to tell them to start playing defense and to stop letting Calvary put his head through the damn rim."

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

(this was the infamous Kenyon Martin/CC matchup that saw the Vanilla Gorilla posterize the tatoo'd phenom a couple times.)

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
safe travels to your team as well...hope they don't trip on anything on the walk over from campus....

no but seriously, welcome to the board.

I literally just lol'd. That was awesome.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
We should have a strong home crowd, but we shall see. Pitt fans could be dic#s and show up and cheer on Gonzaga, but Kansas State is also playing in Pittsburgh and they might stay and watch our game, which would give us some more fans. But hey, home court doesn't mean diddly poo for us. I don't know how many games we lost at home, but it's been a lot.

UberZagFan
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello Dirt. Feeling left out?

adoptedzag
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
What's the link for the WVU forums?

04ZagFan
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
So the Mountaineers are young and inconsistent, eh? This could be an interesting game. SO ARE WE.

Oregonzagnut
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
So the Mountaineers are young and inconsistent, eh? This could be an interesting game. SO ARE WE.

That is true probably for many teams. But IMO, if we can neutralize Jones, their leading scorer, we win if we even play average for us.

No Jones, no win for WVU. They will have no answer for our bench.

Zagdawg
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
We are not going to neutralize Jones-- he will get his--we need to keep the rest of them from going off and we have a good shot at a W.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
That is true probably for many teams. But IMO, if we can neutralize Jones, their leading scorer, we win if we even play average for us.

No Jones, no win for WVU. They will have no answer for our bench.

I highly doubt you will stop Kevin Jones, but the positive thing for you guys is....KJ is all we have for the most part. Your goal should be shutting down Truck Bryant. If he gets going, WVU is in great shape. If Truck struggles, we will most likely lose by at least 10 points. We also need someone else to step up. KJ is the only consitent player on this team. He has 21 double-doubles and he has the most offense rebounds in school history. We also need Kilicili or Dominic to have a solid game. WVU has two message boards or least 2 main ones. I use the rivals message board, but some use the scout message board. Here are the links to both.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/default.asp

http://westvirginia.scout.com/

Oregonzagnut
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I highly doubt you will stop Kevin Jones, but the positive thing for you guys is....KJ is all we have for the most part. Your goal should be shutting down Truck Bryant. If he gets going, WVU is in great shape. If Truck struggles, we will most likely lose by at least 10 points. We also need someone else to step up. KJ is the only consitent player on this team. He has 21 double-doubles and he has the most offense rebounds in school history. We also need Kilicili or Dominic to have a solid game.

Thanks, and I agree we will not stop Jones. I just hope to neutralize him, meaning limit or at least match his output. His offensive rebounding is huge. WVU is ranked top 10 in the nation in that department simply because he is such a leaper. That is where I think Sacre's defensive strengths and ability to handle any big in the country will be key in winning this game.

Jones will win the tip off, but after that it will be all ZAGS!! ha ha.

If Sacre can "neutralize" Jones, then Elias Harris, Sam Dower, and Guy Landry Edi will flourish 3-4 spots. Bell or Edi can handle Trucks IMO. If we can draw out your defense with successful perimeter shooting from Pangos or Bell, AND we can limit ORB's we will set the stage where WVU is chasing us the entire game.

We win if we control tempo and grab rebounds.

NJZag
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
We should have a strong home crowd, but we shall see. Pitt fans could be dic#s and show up and cheer on Gonzaga, but Kansas State is also playing in Pittsburgh and they might stay and watch our game, which would give us some more fans. But hey, home court doesn't mean diddly poo for us. I don't know how many games we lost at home, but it's been a lot.

According to this Big-East-centric New Jersey newspaper, our team might as well not even suit up.

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2012/03/ncaa_tournament_68_things_you_need_to_know_before_ filling_out_your_bracket.html

NCAA Tournament: 68 Things you need to know before filling out your bracket

Published: Monday, March 12, 2012, 4:15 AM
By Brendan Prunty/The Star-Ledger

Okay, if youíre reading this that means you still havenít filled out your bracket for Bobís office pool. No sweat. Weíre here to help you out. So sit down, grab a pen and let The Star-Ledger guide you through to the top with our 68 things you need to know before you fill out your bracket:

68. This isnít the year to pick a 16 seed. The 16s are 0-for-108 since the tournament expanded to 64 teams.

67. If you absolutely have to pick a 15 seed over a No. 2, go with Detroit over Kansas. Ray McCallum was a big-time point guard recruit who chose to play for his father. Detroit lost by single digits to Notre Dame, Alabama and Mississippi State this season.

66. Sentimental 15th-seed pick: Loyola (Md.). Coach Jimmy Patsos used to be a bartender in Georgetown while working as a volunteer assistant for Gary Williams at Maryland.

..... click link to read 65 to 57 .....

56. West Virginia will be playing 60 minutes from campus. Gonzaga has to fly through three time zones. Go Mountaineers.

Doomed ...

http://goldandbluezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/WV-Logo-and-Mountaineer1-300x225.jpg

http://allthingslearning.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/and_the_winner_is.gif?w=604

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks, and I agree we will not stop Jones. I just hope to neutralize him, meaning limit or at least match his output. His offensive rebounding is huge. WVU is ranked top 10 in the nation in that department simply because he is such a leaper. That is where I think Sacre's defensive strengths and ability to handle any big in the country will be key in winning this game.

Jones will win the tip off, but after that it will be all ZAGS!! ha ha.

If Sacre can "neutralize" Jones, then Elias Harris, Sam Dower, and Guy Landry Edi will flourish 3-4 spots. Bell or Edi can handle Trucks IMO. If we can draw out your defense with successful perimeter shooting from Pangos or Bell, AND we can limit ORB's we will set the stage where WVU is chasing us the entire game.

We win if we control tempo and grab rebounds.

I think we will be possibly the best defense that you guys have faced all year. Our goal is to make this game the ugliest da#n game that you have ever seen lol and keep it under 60 points. If it goes over 60, WVU will be in trouble. We also must force you guys to play half court. If we get into a high-tempo transition type of basketball game, WVU is absolutely doomed because our big guys cannot run the court like your big guys.

Bogozags
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Yes to all of that BUT you beat Kansas State and their lame coach! I was rooting for you and also, the Mountaineer's cant be all bad as they had the greatest, clutch shooting guard in history...JERRY WEST!

mee755
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I wanna be nice. K-State grad here. Not a Huggins fan. Hope your tourney is a good journey. But I am going to root for my Zags.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I wanna be nice. K-State grad here. Not a Huggins fan. Hope your tourney is a good journey. But I am going to root for my Zags.

A Kansas State fan that is not a Huggins fan? You are rare unless I'm completely out of the loop. Seems that most KSU fans love Huggins and are thankful. Huggins did a lot for KSU in 1 year and he would still be coaching there if it wasn't for a few factors. WVU is his alma mater and he was only at KSU for 1 year. We tried to get him from Cincinnati before we got John Beilin but he had a great thing going and decided to stay at Cincy. He was only at KSU for 1 year and plus he's getting older, and I strongly feel he wants to end his coaching tenure home. Plus, you guys got Frank Martin out of it, he was one of Hugg's assistants and they are great friends. Huggins also told Beasley and the other recruits to stay at KSU. Not sure how you could not like him, but to each their own. I'll be pulling for KSU vs Southern Miss. Go Big 12!!! To hell with the Big East

Beer_Engineer
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Zags are a little of that as well.

Story of our season!

Beer_Engineer
03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Whatever else I feel about the man, he has a way with words. I remember when we played Cincy in the pre-season in 2000, they interviewed him going into the locker room at half-time (ESPN2 IIRC...) It was a tight game and he was clearly frustrated.

"Coach, what will you tell your kids at half-time"

BH: "I'm going to tell them to start playing defense and to stop letting Calvary put his head through the damn rim."

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

(this was the infamous Kenyon Martin/CC matchup that saw the Vanilla Gorilla posterize the tatoo'd phenom a couple times.)

Classic!

caduceus
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
I think we will be possibly the best defense that you guys have faced all year.

Defensive efficiency*

WVU: #70

Other top defensive teams we've played:
Mich St.: #3 (we lost by 7)
BYU: #25 (we won 2 of 3 - lost by 10, won by 11, 19)
Butler: #36 (won by 16)
Illinois: #39 (lost by 7 - away game)
Arizona: #47 (won by 11, but it was over in the first 10 minutes)
Notre Dame: #59 (won by 20)
Xavier: #63 (won by 7 - away game)

And the Zags' defensive efficiency? #35.

*Per Kenpom.com

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Defensive efficiency*

WVU: #70

Other top defensive teams we've played:
Mich St.: #3 (we lost by 7)
BYU: #25 (we won 2 of 3 - lost by 10, won by 11, 19)
Butler: #36 (won by 16)
Illinois: #39 (lost by 7 - away game)
Arizona: #47 (won by 11, but it was over in the first 10 minutes)
Notre Dame: #59 (won by 20)
Xavier: #63 (won by 7 - away game)

And the Zags' defensive efficiency? #35.

*Per Kenpom.com

I'll tell you one of the best defenses is South Florida. That is one team that could make a serious run. If they knock down some of their shots, I believe they have a chance of making some noise.

ZagNative
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Nice post, caduceus. Very interesting ...