PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs WVU Head to Head comparison

Oregonzagnut
03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I like our chances based on this comparison. But that is why they play the game!

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=636&statsId2=233&gameId=201203150233

It looks like rebounding is our biggest weakness vs WVU. Especially ORB's.

But overall, we have a significantly better offense especially 3 pt shooting.

WOW!!!

Gonswagga
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
It's funny because just looking on paper I don't see how we get beat on the boards. Maybe it'll just be a wash, but Elias' intensity on the glass in the last 7 games (not counting his ten minute stint on senior night) has been just as impressive, if not more, than Kevin Jones' (in before level of competition). I also am intrigued with the possible three guard lineups on both teams and the fact that the beardo from Turkey is only 6-9, but just as heavy as Rob.

WVU's main weakness is their inability to stop slashers and maintain good defense throughout a set. They're actually pretty mediocre at keeping focus during teams going through their options.

In Vegas, and really everywhere where they speak GU hoops I hear, "this team will go as far as Pangos' shooting will take them." Obviously a 30 point outing means things worked out, but I think the crucial cog is Gary Bell's ability to move off the ball. That seemed to be a major issue against St. Mary's, and he has the shot and the athleticism to be the boon to beat the Mountaineers

kylasdad
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Jones is a beast on the boards and cleaning up around the offensive rim with easy putbacks. He puts up a lot of 3's and doesn't make many. Their offense seems to spread the floor, often times all 5 players out by the 3 point line.

NYCZAG
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Just saw West Virginia lose to Uconn at MSG the other day. They are pretty good. I believe someone on the board said it best. If Pangos and Bell are taking and hitting shots we can beat them! Jones is good! Like huge wingspan and draws fouls. He is so active on the floor and was cold from 3 and they still should of beaten a hot shooting Uconn team that day. People who are talking about Ohio St should take a step back. This is going to be a really tough, physical game.

MDABE80
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Gonzaga-gets-tough-draw-vs-West-Virginia-46852459

Good guards and 2 bigs ( 6 9 --both 260) averaging 25 ppg and 16 rpg...We got a tough one ahead.
I like lLias' attitude. Typical Big East team ahead. Hope the kids are ready for a hard game...a very physical one too....in their backyard.

caduceus
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Here's the StatSheet pregame page (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2012/03/15/2012-03-15_west-virginia_vs_gonzaga).

Oregonzagnut
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I have only seen WVU play once. And that was a loss to Marquette by 1. WVU lost to Syracuse by only 2, AT 'cuse. They have a seriously high SOS at 16, so they are about has hardened a team as we could meet. But they only have 1 really good win against Georgtown.

They appear to be a very athletic fast team. But they are a poor 3 pt shooting team so we should shore up the paint and force them to shoot from 3. They are also a poor FT shooting team so if we foul smart we can really hurt them.

They get points off putbacks, dunks and esp, layups. So their PGs (Hines and Browne) get their assists and their forwards (Jones and Kilicli) get their points. It will be a great game with 2 very good freshman PG's, Pangos vs Hinds!! Pangos is better though.

I think if we just play our game we win. We don't even need to be particularly hot from deep, just normal and we win. Sacre's defense in the paint will will be huge so him staying out of foul trouble in the first half will make or break us.