PDA

View Full Version : Beat West Virginia

GoZags
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Get it done, Zags.

MickMick
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Marquette, St. Johns, Notre Dame.

I do believe those were the last three Big East teams that GU has played.

Anyone else starting to see the pattern?

BobZag
03-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Aww hell, why not? Beat 'em, Zagazoomers.

Just win, man.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Hope so.

sittingon50
03-11-2012, 06:29 PM
I like your thought process, GZ.

GoZags
03-11-2012, 06:32 PM
14 years in a row I've (we've) been able to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktdQiODWt84&feature=player_embedded

Beat WVU

gamagin
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Take Care of Business

ZagMan in Philly
03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
looking at this box score, I believe our boys will get it done.
Beat WVU....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=201202220423

sittingon50
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
13 Offensive Boards is what worries me. Seems the Zags have been giving up a lot of those down the stretch.

Reborn
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Go Zags! The best is yet to come.

MDABE80
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Defense...rebounding...we do both, we win. We don't...we won't win.

TheZagPhish
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Beat the Mountaineers.

Oregonzagnut
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Defense...rebounding...we do both, we win. We don't...we won't win.

Very true. We win with those 2 things, but it could possibly be too close for comfort. Because, IMO they also defend and rebound really well. But if we can shoot the 3, especially early enough to force them to come out of the paint to defend the perimeter, we win by 10+.

If we can get a consistent inside/outside offensive attack going, not many teams have a chance. But if we don't defend like our survival depends on it, we could be flying back west Friday morning.

Kiddwell
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Powder their behinds!

:]

lothar98zag
03-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Go zags!
Beat wvu!

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Notre Dame
St Johns
Notre Dame (loss)
Marquette
Syracuse (loss)
Cincinatti
UCONN (loss)
UCONN
Sorry.
Still not bad though.

upan8th
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Believe the last time the Zags engaged Mssr Huggin's team (at Cincy) in the tourney the result was an early exit for the Bobster and his team and, correct me if I'm wrong, an unprecedented ejection also of a Bearcat broadcaster who may have let his loud, vocal criticism of the referees' judgements move way beyond the guidelines of impartial broadcast journalism.

If you don't think that distant memory rankles keenly with Mr Huggins, not only do you not know JACK, you don't know BOB. Otherwise known as the Joe West of college basketball, Huggins, admittedly mellowed since he's assumed the head coaching realm at his alma mater, is going to be a burning ball of fire against the Zags this time. Fueled, in part, by his team's many close losses in the Big East this year, but also several other OC games that might have been won, but weren't, the visceral memory of his previous humiliation vs the Zags is going to make the difference in the outcome of this game.

This 1st round game vs the Zags represents for UWV a very winnable chance at redemption for this beleagured Mountainer group, in, basically, a home court environment. I expect they'll play hard to represent that GU is no better than a 6th or 7th place team in the Big East, and I'll be very surprised if the Zags prove them incorrect. At game time the pros will have decided that the Commitee got it wrong and WVU will be a two point favorite.

The season past has shown that GU is not quite ready, with lack of take charge senior leadership in the frontcourt combined with the inconsistencies of freshmen in the backcourt, to move beyond the first round of the tournament this year. Next year, expectations will be, should be...off the charts.

Zag79
03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Beat WV!!!:drool:

Bogozags
03-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I am rather hoping GU scores one more point than UWV...we don't need but one more point and any extras should be saved for Saturday's Game...

83topper
03-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Get it done

RenoZag
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM
One of the "must see" games in Round of 64, according to CBS' College Hoops blog:

East Region: Gonzaga (7) vs. West Virginia (10). Thursday, 7:20 ET, TNT. Yep, this means you'll need to be watching two games at once -- which is totally doable with March Madness Live. Interesting on two fronts. One, Gonzaga's only been to the Sweet 16 twice in a decade under Mark Few. This year, it looks like another challenge, and it'll start by playing West Virginia in Pittsburgh. Yeah, see, the selection committee does its best to not give lower seeds a crowd advantage in terms of geography, but it failed here. WVU's campus is an hour from Pitt. Gonzaga is on the other side of the country. The Bulldogs are definitely the better team -- it's not even close -- but expect the game to be close because WVU fans know how to travel and fill a building up.

Plus, Bob Huggins has a 15-4 record in his Round of 64 games, formerly known as the first round. The balance to Gonzaga's talent and size down low is Kevin Jones, who's the best player on the floor. He'll wear a West Virginia uniform. This one feels like 68-66 with two minutes to go, Huggins' credential flapping around his waist as he prowls the sidelines.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17737058/the-five-must-see-round-of-64-games

Baldwinzag
03-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Win.

Just noticed West Virginia had 6, yes 6 games go into OT this season.

That's gotta be some kind of record. . .

cjm720
03-12-2012, 08:20 AM
I like our chances. I think we'll need more Spangs and Dower as WVU have some big horses. Harris v. Jones will be a great match up to keep an eye on.

Pangos is key.

Zag79
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
One, Gonzaga's only been to the Sweet 16 twice in a decade under Mark Few.

That's interesting, kind of back ups the out of the box thinking on the board in reality. It's been a minute since we had a nice run, I think beating WV could be the start of another one. Let's get it, go Zags!!

GoZags
03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Continue building the legacy:

"I'm not an expert on Fairy Tales, but it seems to me that Cinderalla only went to one dance."MarkFew3/01

"Over comes Matt Santangelo, the All-America point guard. I said to him 'I stayed up all night in our studios watching you shoot the lights out against Santa Clara '." DiggerPhelps 12/99

"These guys are a poor-man's UNC - one great guard, a good big man, and crap everywhere else. Have they stopped for one second to wonder who is going to keep a lid on Chris Williams' baseline jumper if Calvary is covering Watson? You are right - the 'Zaga bandwagon has ballooned to ridiculous proportions. Me thinks that we are going to lay an ass-whoopin' on them." UVaJimBeam3/14/01

" 'This is a team that was on the ropes and responded.' Game was tied at 60 and Gonzaga ends the game on a 25 to 8 run. MAKE IT THREE STRAIGHT Sweet 16 appearances for Gonzaga! It's OVER at the Pyramid. They hold off upstart Indiana State to win it going away 85 to 68."- Ian call me eye-ann Eagle and Jim Spanarkle3/01.

"Guys like Jeff Brown, they passed the legacy, the work ethic on to Casey, who has passed it on to Cory Violette. It continues today with the new guys" Mark Few 9/26/01

"We should pound the Zags on Friday. They don't have a top 100 recruit, play in a weak conference and don't have the big-game experience of UVa (Duke, UNC, etc.). Does anyone think that Duke or UNC would be worried about this game?"cAv3/14/01

"Bottom line, this game is all about UVa's performance and not the Zags'. If we're the average team from our wins, there's nothing Dickau and co. can do to win unless Carolina refs show up." Hoofan3/14/01

“Either the baskets in the West Coast Conference are three feet wide or these guys have radar in their heads.. I don’t buy the theory that suddenly those shots will start rimming out because the Zags are playing an ACC squad.” Oped:thesabre3/14

"To be honest, I never really had heard of the school, But since I've been here, I've had three (West Coast Conference) championship rings, been to the NCAA twice and the NIT twice. So, we've shared some real success."Mike Leisure3/99

"The big guys from Illinois really paid him (Zach) and Cory a compliment when they said they were the best tandem they've played against so far in their career. I thought that was really something when you think that last year they played against (Michigan State's) Zach Randolph and Andre Hutson."Mark Few S/R11/21/01

"It's kind of a misnomer about us. It's almost funny. They assume we are not very athletic. It's a big mistake."MarkFew12/01

"Plus, the Zags have an unofficial coach who has worked with the guys the last decade and a half during the summer. He's said that in the future, all he wants to do is coach the guards at Gonzaga. John Stockton will make a fine addition to the staff some day."Rivals.com7/99

"I don't think people, both in the media and my profession, understand just how good a thing we have up here right now."Mark Few 9/01

"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

. "Everyone remembers our charmed little run. They don't remember losing at TCU or at San Diego or hitting a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat Texas-Pan American. Nobody remembers that game." Few12/98

"They just took our heart and our pride from us. They started hitting shots and crashing the rebounds and we couldn't answer that. That's when our heart was taken and it was all downhill from there." Jason Kapono UCLA 12/99

Club Prez
03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Victory over West Virginia!

AK457
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Go Zags! Time to let another Big East team tell everyone how tough their conference is on that early flight home.

caduceus
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Waiting for 4:20.....

http://i.imgur.com/GxXPl.gif

lothar98zag
03-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Let's do this.

GO ZAGS!

bballbeachbum
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
GO ZAGS!!!

do it

awberke
03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I thought this game was supposed to be physical? It's been really touchy so far.

AIRBALLLLLL AIRBALLLLLLL

GoZags
03-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Get it done, Zags.

Nicely done. Thanks.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
By no means am I piling on, but i saw this on their board, and couldnt help but laugh to myself...

"So we drew a better more fast paced version of notre dame. We may lose by 50"