PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Forum

SWZag
03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
West Virginia Forum - I thought I'd venture over and see what they're saying.

Scout - WVU Basketball (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509)

A lot of "talk", but an interesting post that I usually would see on the GU Board...

They have three players who shoot better than 40% from behind the arc and all three are starters.

Going to have to learn how to defend the perimeter or might be going home early

SWZag

ZagLawGrad
03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks SWZ for posting the link

Zag4Hire
03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
SWZag

Funny about defending the 3 ball. Same could be said for GU.

Zaglaw
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Lol! One of the WVU posters must have gotten to the wrong board. Says s/he was on our forum and we must not be be into our team. Says last post was 2/18.:roll::roll:

gonwick
03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Their thread linking to our board has this great post.

"Gonzaga board talking about matchup

Linking that site is pretty much comparable to opening a wormhole simply so people can chuck poo through it. I wish our fans wouldn't link other boards it only leads to our worst fans slinking on over there.

___________________________________________"

Timspo14
03-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Linking that site is pretty much comparable to opening a wormhole simply so people can chuck poo through it. I wish our fans wouldn't link other boards it only leads to our worst fans slinking on over there.

___________________________________________"

I think he was looking at this one:
Zags Sports Discussion (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=130&f=1070)

ZagNative
03-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Linking that site is pretty much comparable to opening a wormhole simply so people can chuck poo through it. I wish our fans wouldn't link other boards it only leads to our worst fans slinking on over there.That's funny!

23dpg
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
bump...maybe sticky?

FuManShoes
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=8795964

Clearly well informed.

Mike Hart and Marquise Carter are both very athletic and like to drive, they can hurt you if you are not playing tough defense.# If we are giving great effort, I am not worried about them. Thats a big# " if " though. If we are lazy and do not comunicate, they can kill us with height advantage and athletism.#

Actually it's a pretty good report. They worry about the Zags run and gun offense and think we are soft on picks. Prove em wrong!

gu03alum
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=8795964

Clearly well informed.

Actually it's a pretty good report. They worry about the Zags run and gun offense and think we are soft on picks. Prove em wrong!

:lmao: I hope they're right about Hart in this game.

raise the zag
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
They're right on our picks. Soft. Many have pointed this out on the board too.

Sometimes we're guilty of "phantom" screens. Our bigs will flash, stop, cover themselves, yet once contact is initiated, we begin our roll without ever actually screening the opposition. Fortunately, Pangos release is quick enough to compensate in most cases.

Mr. Dower comes to mind, then Sacre at doing this and you'd think Rob would be a brick wall out there but isn't. Elias is pretty solid with his picks, Mike Hart too. The rest are weak sauce.

Also, if we set screens as they do in the Big East, we'd be called for a foul in the WCC, so....tough to compare.

My primary concern(s) will be our hesitancy vs WVU. Two "hesitancies" come to mind: 1.) Coach Few's reluctance to play zone until its too late this season. I realize he's proud of our M2M and mentions this, yet NO reason not to try it vs West Va as they are a poor shooting team and have bowling balls for bigs underneath. 2.) Gary Bell passing up shots to not make a mistake and defer to Kevin. He's been a man on defense and needs to bring the same mentality on offense.

former1dog
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I really, really like it when teams switch up defense to throw off the opposing teams. I think Few should switch up from man to man to zone about every third possession. Down the stretch, go with what's working the best.

rawkmandale
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Bump it up

HRZag
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
After reading a bunch of their posts, they think they can and will beat us.

And they think they can and will beat the O State.

Their run will end a the hands of Flo St.

Not getting ahead of ourselves, at all, I have great respect for Huggie and the program, but, should we even think we have a chance at the O State?

awberke
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
After reading a bunch of their posts, they think they can and will beat us.

And they think they can and will beat the O State.

Their run will end a the hands of Flo St.

Not getting ahead of ourselves, at all, I have great respect for Huggie and the program, but, should we even think we have a chance at the O State?

I think Sullinger would tear us apart, think draymond green 2.0.

Oregonzagnut
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM

I think YES. We are the 7 seed playing the 10 seed and we are faster and deeper than WVU. Yes we have a chance at O St. About all WVU has is Jones, so if we neutralize him and keep them from getting hot from outside, we win.

MickMick
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
The "opening the wormhole" post had me laughing.

Nothing but respect for the WVU program. We have known about them for several years and from the other side of the country. They are a "name" brand in college hoops. Huggins has recruited great talent wherever he has gone (Kansas State is a program he turned around) and he is a crafty coach that has seen post season often.

I'm expecting a great game. Both teams are well coached and I expect both teams will play well.

On another note, I don't want Mountanier fans to think I chose my avatar just for them. I have been a huge fan of Jed ever since I was a kid.

gonwick
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I hope few is willing to zone. The fans seem to think that a good 2 3 zone would be very bad for them as they've had trouble from outside this season. Of course, it wouldn't be the tournament if someone didnt go off from 3 against us.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I use the rivals board. I did have a name on the scout board, but they are bunch of sensitive vaginas and banned my account for posting a pic of a hot chick in a thong. Hey, I thought it was a nice picture. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

www.wvsports.com is the rivals site.

MtneerMike
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
About all WVU has is Jones, so if we neutralize him and keep them from getting hot from outside, we win.

As easy as that? Really? Very interesting indeed. Too bad we don't have anyone other than KJ. Guess I should rethink going to the game now! :)

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
As easy as that? Really? Very interesting indeed. Too bad we don't have anyone other than KJ. Guess I should rethink going to the game now! :)

Who else do we have? Truck? Which Truck will show up? Sure, he might score 26 on Gonzaga but odds are saying no. Kilicili? He's been struggling with his hook shot and can't stay out of foul trouble as of late. Hinds? He's quick as hell but his jumper has not been very good and the same with Gary. Aaron Brown, he was stroking 3's to begin the season, now he can't throw the ball into the ocean. Miles, has he scored more than 4 points this year in a game? Dominic is playing pretty well, and we need him to have a strong performance off the bench. Kevin Jones is the only person I know that will show up and play his hardest and will contribute. The rest of the team? Who knows...their bodies may be in the game, but their head will probably be in lala land

JPtheBeasta
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

I'm glad these guys could save you the trouble :)

Pride comes before the fall. To me, it's more about energy and exerting your will than it is X's and O's in the tournament. Anybody can beat anybody. I do like our match up on paper, however, save for the location we are playing the game.

Go Zags!

MtneerMike
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Who else do we have? Truck? Which Truck will show up? Sure, he might score 26 on Gonzaga but odds are saying no. Kilicili? He's been struggling with his hook shot and can't stay out of foul trouble as of late. Hinds? He's quick as hell but his jumper has not been very good and the same with Gary. Aaron Brown, he was stroking 3's to begin the season, now he can't throw the ball into the ocean. Miles, has he scored more than 4 points this year in a game? Dominic is playing pretty well, and we need him to have a strong performance off the bench. Kevin Jones is the only person I know that will show up and play his hardest and will contribute. The rest of the team? Who knows...their bodies may be in the game, but their head will probably be in lala land

That is true for sure. Inconsistency has killed us this year. Inconsistency and youth. Not arguing that. I'm just pointing out that to say we are only KJ is not a valid point. Nor is saying that the others will not play their hardest. That does not mean they will score and rebound like KJ, but you can rest assured they will play hard. You know as well as I do that if you don't play hard for Huggs, you will be on the bench. Say what you will, but I do not accept that thought that we are a one dimensional team.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
That is true for sure. Inconsistency has killed us this year. Inconsistency and youth. Not arguing that. I'm just pointing out that to say we are only KJ is not a valid point. Nor is saying that the others will not play their hardest. That does not mean they will score and rebound like KJ, but you can rest assured they will play hard. You know as well as I do that if you don't play hard for Huggs, you will be on the bench. Say what you will, but I do not accept that thought that we are a one dimensional team.

I'm accepting a loss before the game happens. Why? So i don't set myself up for a disappointment. If we win, I'll be ecstatic but if we lose...it'll be another loss and since, I'm already accepting it, it won't bother me. I'll just be looking ahead for the spring football game in April and our upcoming football season. Then maybe next year, Murray and Staten along with the incoming 3 freshmen will play some good basketball and we'll have a top 25 team. I haven't even filled out the bracket yet, but when I do, I'll probably pick Gonzaga and it'll be the first time ever that I picked against us in the opening round. But it is what it is. We choke. We'll either turn the ball over, shoot stupid low percentage shots with 30 seconds left on shot clock, or we'll miss foul shots. Who knows, but I'm not expecting anything awesome from us.

MtneerMike
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm accepting a loss before the game happens. Why? So i don't set myself up for a disappointment. If we win, I'll be ecstatic but if we lose...it'll be another loss and since, I'm already accepting it, it won't bother me. I'll just be looking ahead for the spring football game in April and our upcoming football season. Then maybe next year, Murray and Staten along with the incoming 3 freshmen will play some good basketball and we'll have a top 25 team. I haven't even filled out the bracket yet, but when I do, I'll probably pick Gonzaga and it'll be the first time ever that I picked against us in the opening round. But it is what it is. We choke. We'll either turn the ball over, shoot stupid low percentage shots with 30 seconds left on shot clock, or we'll miss foul shots. Who knows, but I'm not expecting anything awesome from us.

I understand where you're coming from, I really do. It's just that I see it a bit different from you, that's all. I never accept a loss, but I can get over it quickly. Well, usually. I still have nightmares of the 1996 Miami fiasco, and 13-9. I too am looking forward to next year, as I think the growing pains from this season, along with the new recruits and addition of Murray and Staten will add up to a nice season. And football can't come soon enough for me either Mountaineer!!! I'm counting down the days till April 21st. You going to the game? If so would be my pleasure to "talk shop" with you.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I understand where you're coming from, I really do. It's just that I see it a bit different from you, that's all. I never accept a loss, but I can get over it quickly. Well, usually. I still have nightmares of the 1996 Miami fiasco, and 13-9. I too am looking forward to next year, as I think the growing pains from this season, along with the new recruits and addition of Murray and Staten will add up to a nice season. And football can't come soon enough for me either Mountaineer!!! I'm counting down the days till April 21st. You going to the game? If so would be my pleasure to "talk shop" with you.

probably not, I wish. I graduated from WVU just the other year, and now about to attend Marshall's graduate program for a MBA since I'm back home. I wish I could make more trips to Morgantown just been broke. My best friend goes to Law School there and I try to make it up and stay with him. I went up there for the LSU game but haven't made it up there since. You going to the spring football game? We should have at least 30,000 fans at the spring game since we are bringing back our entire offense, joining new conference and it's on a Saturday evening. We are going to be hyped up this season, should be preseason top 10. If we have a solid defense, we'll be the one of the best team sin the country. And yes, I was a sophomore and at the Pitt game in 2007. Nothing will ever pain me more than losing that game. I've mellowed out since then. So close to a National Championship and we choked against sPittsburgh.

Reborn
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
what the mountaineers don't know about GU is that we have played some pretty good power forwards this year. I'm assuming Jones is a PF. Here are some pretty good power forwards who score in double figures and over 10 rebounds: Hartsock, Jones and Viney from the WCC. Demon Green from Michigan State. Or maybe Jones is more like Davies from BYU. I have not seen Jones play. I'm sure Jones is not any better than Demon Green. I wonder if he's that much better than Jones when Jones is having a good game.

And so far so little has been said about our post players. We have two guys ourselves who are pretty darn good and may just match up quite well with WV's. Harris has been averaging a double double for awhile now. `I think Jones will out play Harris, but if he does it will not be by much. Or this may be the opportunity for Ellias to show that he's better then a 2nd team All American. The tournament could end up being a big stage for both Elias and Robert. I do expect Rob to outplay Kililicli, and hopefully get him into foul trouble and get to their bench..

For me the key to the game is to puch the ball up court as much as possible and speed up the game. The Zags play best at a fast pace and they must do everything to push WV and make them play D. The second key will be to make them work on D. We must resist the need to go one on one a lot, and play disciplined Team ball. I am not worried about the outside shooting. It will be there. The Zags will nail down 8 three's.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
...if the freshmen realize that after 30 games they aren't freshmen anymore.

West Virginia EXPECTS to miss every shot and scores a lot on put backs. They are VERY good at offensive rebounding. If Sacre and Harris hold their position the Zags should be fine in this aspect though KJones is very quick to the ball.

I was worried about our young guards going "on the road" in the NCAA tournament as they haven't shown too well on the road. The fact that this is in West Virginia's backyard will be the undoing of the Zags. I see a West Virginia win 68-61.

P.s. I watched the UCONN-WestVA Big East tournament game on ESPN3 and was NOT impressed with either one. They play some of the worst basketball I've seen this year. A lot of one-on-one dribbling, poor ball movement and poor moving without the ball. If this game was in Portland the Zags would win by 20 points!!

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM

West Virginia EXPECTS to miss every shot and scores a lot on put backs. They are VERY good at offensive rebounding. If Sacre and Harris hold their position the Zags should be fine in this aspect though KJones is very quick to the ball.

I was worried about our young guards going "on the road" in the NCAA tournament as they haven't shown too well on the road. The fact that this is in West Virginia's backyard will be the undoing of the Zags. I see a West Virginia win 68-61.

P.s. I watched the UCONN-WestVA Big East tournament game on ESPN3 and was NOT impressed with either one. They play some of the worst basketball I've seen this year. A lot of one-on-one dribbling, poor ball movement and poor moving without the ball. If this game was in Portland the Zags would win by 20 points!!

WVU and Gonzaga play 2 different styles. WVU wants to play hard nosed defense, scrappy, keep the game ugly and sloppy as possible, and hold the opponent under 60. If we do that, we most likely win. Gonzaga wants to speed up the temp because they got bigs that can run the court and they can shoot the lights out. If Gonzaga gets over 60 points, zags most likely win. WVU must keep the game half court and grind down Gonzaga.

Mountaineer
03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I agree with this. Spot on. I watch both teams closely. Pangos will struggle feeding the post and DS will try, but give up turnovers. I am not giving anything away here, the experts agree.

What we don't know is how well Pangos and Bell will handle the spotlight. If they are hitting, your done. If not, we are done. :) Good luck.

If you all win, I'll be rooting for you guys. This game equals no ill feelings for me because I've always had love the Zags and we don't have the team to make an amazing run like 2 years ago.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-13-2012, 04:45 AM
If you all win, I'll be rooting for you guys. This game equals no ill feelings for me because I've always had love the Zags and we don't have the team to make an amazing run like 2 years ago.

Hey, Mountaineer!! You are really getting to be a pain!! :) :) :) Can't you be at least a little obnoxious about this game? Last year all the St. Johns people were telling us how the Zags were no good and that Gonzaga hadn't seen the likes of Dwight Hardy and how Big East competition was much better. And then we beat them quite easily. I was hoping for a repeat of last year....:)

rawkmandale
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
bump

Gonswagga
03-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm loving their thoughts about how they will defend Elias and Sam. One poster says he doesn't want Kevin Jones guarding Elias because he will be pulled out from the paint, and another thinks that Kilicli will dominate Dower down low because of his size, without the knowledge that Sam's game takes advantage of being able to bring it ten-twenty feet out. The overvaluing of competition and the disrespect for our front-court is mouthwatering.

Robzagnut
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM

They're still freshmen.

30 games doesn't make them sophomores. 30 games doesn't prepare them for the national spotlight, pressure and intensity that is the NCAA tournament.

mgadfly
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
WVU and Gonzaga play 2 different styles. WVU wants to play hard nosed defense, scrappy, keep the game ugly and sloppy as possible, and hold the opponent under 60. If we do that, we most likely win. Gonzaga wants to speed up the temp because they got bigs that can run the court and they can shoot the lights out. If Gonzaga gets over 60 points, zags most likely win. WVU must keep the game half court and grind down Gonzaga.

If this was five years ago I would agree, but this GU team has a slightly faster adjusted tempo than WVU (we are both slower than the average team). GU has valued defense over offense the entire season, runs mostly man as opposed to splitting between a 2-3 zone and man like in the past, and is statistically worse than WVU on offense.

Kenpom has our efficiency at: 42nd on offense and 35th on defense.
Kenpom has WVU efficiency at: 35th on offense and 70th on defense.

Maybe I'm the only person that sees it this way, but I think what we have here are two physical teams that should slug it out in a very close game.

IrishZagFan
03-13-2012, 03:17 PM

It's really too bad they took the Rep away....Cause I'd have unloaded a truck load on Mountaineer already..... Good luck Mountaineer!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
They're still freshmen.

30 games doesn't make them sophomores. 30 games doesn't prepare them for the national spotlight, pressure and intensity that is the NCAA tournament.

Not so loud!! I was hoping they were reading this and would be fooled into thinking they aren't freshmen anymore! That is my biggest concern for this game.

MtneerMike
03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
If this was five years ago I would agree, but this GU team has a slightly faster adjusted tempo than WVU (we are both slower than the average team). GU has valued defense over offense the entire season, runs mostly man as opposed to splitting between a 2-3 zone and man like in the past, and is statistically worse than WVU on offense.

Kenpom has our efficiency at: 42nd on offense and 35th on defense.
Kenpom has WVU efficiency at: 35th on offense and 70th on defense.

Maybe I'm the only person that sees it this way, but I think what we have here are two physical teams that should slug it out in a very close game.

Hey mgadfly, the Kenpom has WVU 35th on offense and 17th on defense.

mgadfly
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey mgadfly, the Kenpom has WVU 35th on offense and 17th on defense.

No it doesn't.

ZagNative
03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
mgadfly has it right. Screen shot from Kenpom:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3RxuWaUZNvk/T1_xq8tvRzI/AAAAAAABUYE/BG30XY4jRW8/s800/2012-03-13%2520O%2520Eiciency.jpg

MtneerMike
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
No it doesn't.

Lighten up guys, I was going by what I read at another site (rockchalktalk.com). I'm not part of some evil NCAA conspiracy to discredit your team. Just going by what I saw.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg521/scaled.php?server=521&filename=screenshothxc.png&res=medium

mgadfly
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I thought that was light. Short. Sweet. Light?

No offense intended.

awberke
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Its been two days now and my request to post on the forum hasn't been approved by a moderator...I've seen a few other zag fans over there. What gives?

DADoZAG
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Its been two days now and my request to post on the forum hasn't been approved by a moderator...I've seen a few other zag fans over there. What gives?

Maybe your reputation precedes you....:roll:

Go ZAGS!

awberke
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Maybe your reputation precedes you....:roll:

Go ZAGS!

:starwars:

Mountaineer
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Don't use bluegoldnews (scout). I remember when I applied access...took like 4 days and then they banned me after a week for posting a picture of a hot chick in a thong. They are ######s. Use www.wvsports.com ....you will have instant access to post on the board after signing up and confirming your email activation. The Rivals board is MUCH better than the scout board.

rawkmandale
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
bump

MDABE80
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
I do hope Rob "fronts" Jones. Never let him get the ball. Elias/Hart can control the Turk. Our guards will be tested by theirs though. I do hope Gary's ready for a big tussle out front. Defense means everything this time of year.