PDA

View Full Version : Dan Monson, back in the dance

Das Zagger
03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Dirtbags win against UCSB.

Played a killer OOC schedule and lost a few of them but it will be interesting to see how they do.

gmo
03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
they are playing quite well. Casper Ware is a beast. If they get the kid who was defensive player of the year in the Big West this year back from injury for the Dance they could be a very tough out.

Akzag
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice to see them on the In side of the bracket equation after a couple of tough Conference tourney losses in past years.

Congrats coach

CDC84
03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Old Man Monson almost died on the trip over. He's a lucky man. He had a toe infection that spread up to his knee on the flight to So Cal. They got him to the emergency room soon after he landed. Could've been a goner.

sittingon50
03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
:clap:

madness
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Old Man Monson almost died on the trip over. He's a lucky man. He had a toe infection that spread up to his knee on the flight to So Cal. They got him to the emergency room soon after he landed. Could've been a goner.

That is crazy, I hope to see him up at Priest Lake. He looked pretty shaky at the end of the game.

MDABE80
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Good coach. Dan might be taking his team deeper than one and out. Surely he's earned it.

Zag79
03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Looks like the beginning to our story many years ago, interesting...

SWZag
03-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Long Beach State: 25-8

They did play one tough OOC schedule that would rival or possibly even be better than any of ours.

Their 8 losses were by an average 6.9 points:

L 77-73 San Diego St.
L 73-71 Montana
L 79-66 Louisville
L 88-80 Kansas
L 84-78 North Carolina
L 77-60 Kansas St.
L 81-79 Creighton
L 77-74 Cal St. Fullerton

They also beat Xavier, 68-58.

I'd be worried if we were having to play them.

SWZag

rijman
03-11-2012, 07:12 AM
They were fun to watch this season. My son's UCI team (he goes there but doesn't play for them) gave them a scare in the semi's, UCI was up by a point at the half, but LBSU pulled it out like I knew they would and went on to win the tourney.

roxdoc
03-11-2012, 09:26 AM
One of Dan's strengths is to adjust on the fly. Looks like he is doing the same thing there as when he set the foundation for GU's success.

Coach Crazy
03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
One of Dan's strengths is to adjust on the fly. Looks like he is doing the same thing there as when he set the foundation for GU's success.

Hopefully, making the jump to Minnesota taught him a lesson. Stay on the West Coast, and build the quality of ball here.

Gonzaga, UNLV, San Diego State, St. Marys, BYU, UW (at least getting the talent for now)...some very strong teams coming up for these programs. And while there are more, these seem to be the teams that have the most opportunity to make a big difference on the national scene. Provided, of course, that Romar can learn to coach a half court offense ;)

Vanzagger
03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
impressed that Monson could have tried to sit on that big lead they had with 8 min or so left. His guys kept playing loose and fast. He's a gamer.

Go Beach!

cjm720
03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
If they lost would they been an at-large? Arguably yes IMO

sullyzag66
03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Dirtbags win against UCSB.

Played a killer OOC schedule and lost a few of them but it will be interesting to see how they do.
Anyone, anywhere, anytime.

sullyzag66
03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks like the beginning to our story many years ago, interesting...
Announcers referenced that giving him credit for starting the recent "mid-major madness" that started with Gonzaga 1999.

treehorn
03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
How Long Beach State Got In (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/sports/ncaabasketball/2012-ncaa-tournament-how-long-beach-state-got-in.html?hp)

By JOHN BRANCH
New York Times, March 12, 2012

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Three games in three days would decide everything, and Dan Monson, the Long Beach State men’s basketball coach, wanted to tune out his team’s players. He did not want to hear their music. He did not want to watch them eat.

“I try to get selfish on game days, be alone,” Monson said. “The older I get, the more I realize I’m the problem, not the kids. Everything they do on game day bugs me.”

His team needed three victories in three nights to win the Big West Conference tournament and advance to the N.C.A.A. tournament. So after a morning film session and an hourlong workout on the court, the players boarded a bus to the team hotel. Monson went home.

He showed up at the hotel hours later, in time to catch the team bus to Anaheim, Calif. Monson’s players sat in the back. Most listened to music through huge headphones or tiny earbuds.

Monson sat in the front seat. He had earbuds, too. His iPod had 70 songs, most downloaded by his children. The playlist is at the whim of the shuffle function.

“I skip through the Hannah Montana songs,” he said. “But when the Black Eyed Peas, that ‘It’s Gonna Be a Good, Good Night’ song comes on, I think it’s a good omen.” ...

MORE (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/sports/ncaabasketball/2012-ncaa-tournament-how-long-beach-state-got-in.html?hp)

Zag79
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
“I try to get selfish on game days, be alone,” Monson said. “The older I get, the more I realize I’m the problem, not the kids. Everything they do on game day bugs me.”

:clap:

MickMick
03-13-2012, 04:37 AM

It dates me, but I recall watching Don Monson coaching at Pasco High School. I was a student of Kamiakin High School at the time. My senior year he moved on to Michigan State as an assistant coach. He had that Pasco hoops program running at optimum level and their rivalry with Richland High (back then Columbia High) was the best in the state. Don Monson taught his son Dan well. Eastern Washington has a fine basketball legacy and a few links with Jud Heathcote and Michigan State as well.

gamagin
03-13-2012, 07:04 AM
It dates me, but I recall watching Don Monson coaching at Pasco High School. I was a student of Kamiakin High School at the time. My senior year he moved on to Michigan State as an assistant coach. He had that Pasco hoops program running at optimum level and their rivalry with Richland High (back then Columbia High) was the best in the state. Don Monson taught his son Dan well. Eastern Washington has a fine basketball legacy and a few links with Jud Heathcote and Michigan State as well.

Retirees Jud, Don & Fitz (before his untimely death), could be seen huddling with Few once a week or so in one of 2-3 different pubs in the area, usually in the afternoon, but sometimes at a happy hour.

In retrospect, it was quite a collection of basketball minds and good friends & mentors for the youngster, Few.